Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to occasionally pop in here to see what others are going through with this virus.

Currently, I am processing how covirgins () are only about 40% of the population (Seroprevalence of Infection-Induced SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies...). Out of a 23 people in my family (100% vaxed to pertinent recommendation) 5 people have tested positive which leaves the covirgins at approximately 78%. I guess I assumed the rest of the peoples were the same. I anxiously await further studies on who is more susceptible and why.

Coronavirus spike protein activated natural immune …

JULY 25, 2022

Coronavirus spike protein activated natural immune response, damaged heart muscle cells​

Heart damage is common among patients hospitalized with COVID-19, leading many to wonder how the virus affects the heart. Now, researchers have found that the spike protein from the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) virus can lead to heart muscle injury through the inflammatory process, according to preliminary research to be presented at the American Heart Association's Basic Cardiovascular Sciences Scientific Sessions 2022. The meeting, held in Chicago on July 25-28, offers the latest research on basic and translational cardiovascular science.

Excellent article. Thanks for posting. I can see now why my cardiologist said that it was “hard to say” whether Covid that hospitalized me in Feb. 2021 caused congestive heart failure (CHF) that hospitalized me in Feb. 2022. Researchers are still studying exactly what covid does to the heart. I will never know whether I would have developed CHF anyway, but I’m glad the Covid-connection is being studied.

I was two weeks away from being eligible for my first vaccination when covid found me. Now that I am vaxxed and double boosted I’m doing my best to avoid getting it again, but there are no guarantees.

I personally think their days are numbered! I has two vaccinations and one booster, got Covid.I have since had second booster in April. I feel like I could get it again before I get THIRD booster in October.

My sister and her husband have both vaccinations and they got COVID just after Mother’s Day this year. They managed to avoid catching it when it was at its peak and her husband works retail.

I got it a third time even after being fully vaxxed and boosted. It’s such a random virus.

Last Christmas, as the Omicron variant was ricocheting around the United States, Mary Carrington unknowingly found herself at a superspreader event—an indoor party, packed with more than 20 people, at least one of whom ended up transmitting the virus to most of the gathering’s guests.

After two years of avoiding the coronavirus, Carrington felt sure that her time had come: She’d been holding her great-niece, who tested positive soon after, “and she was giving me kisses,” Carrington told me. But she never caught the bug. “And I just thought, Wow, I might really be resistant here.” She wasn’t thinking about immunity, which she had thanks to multiple doses of a COVID vaccine. Rather, perhaps via some inborn genetic quirk, her cells had found a way to naturally repel the pathogen’s assaults instead...

The idea of coronaviral resistance is beguiling enough that scientists around the world are now scouring people’s genomes for any hint that it exists. If it does, they could use that knowledge to understand whom the virus most affects, or leverage it to develop better COVID-taming drugs. For individuals who have yet to catch the contagiona fast-dwindling proportion of the population—resistance dangles “like a superpower” that people can’t help but think they must have, says Paula Cannon, a geneticist and virologist at the University of Southern California...

Last Christmas, as the Omicron variant was ricocheting around the United States, Mary Carrington unknowingly found herself at a superspreader event—an indoor party, packed with more than 20 people, at least one of whom ended up transmitting the virus to most of the gathering’s guests.

After two years of avoiding the coronavirus, Carrington felt sure that her time had come: She’d been holding her great-niece, who tested positive soon after, “and she was giving me kisses,” Carrington told me. But she never caught the bug. “And I just thought, Wow, I might really be resistant here.” She wasn’t thinking about immunity, which she had thanks to multiple doses of a COVID vaccine. Rather, perhaps via some inborn genetic quirk, her cells had found a way to naturally repel the pathogen’s assaults instead...

The idea of coronaviral resistance is beguiling enough that scientists around the world are now scouring people’s genomes for any hint that it exists. If it does, they could use that knowledge to understand whom the virus most affects, or leverage it to develop better COVID-taming drugs. For individuals who have yet to catch the contagiona fast-dwindling proportion of the population—resistance dangles “like a superpower” that people can’t help but think they must have, says Paula Cannon, a geneticist and virologist at the University of Southern California...
We thought that Mr HKP must have some kind of super immunity. He was mildly unwell in March 2020 when I had it and I was floored by it. Since then, he has travelled in to London on a busy daily train commute. At Christmas, he was out on a v rare social occasion with a group from work in a pub and almost all the others who were there had it for the holidays. He was fine.

So it has completely taken us unaware, that he has been so knocked by it now. Currently into fourth week off work and much better than he was, but still. He’s had two jabs and a booster. You just cant odds this thing. He hasn’t had a day off sick in 20 years, normally v healthy.

We thought that Mr HKP must have some kind of super immunity. He was mildly unwell in March 2020 when I had it and I was floored by it. Since then, he has travelled in to London on a busy daily train commute. At Christmas, he was out on a v rare social occasion with a group from work in a pub and almost all the others who were there had it for the holidays. He was fine.

So it has completely taken us unaware, that he has been so knocked by it now. Currently into fourth week off work and much better than he was, but still. He’s had two jabs and a booster. You just cant odds this thing. He hasn’t had a day off sick in 20 years, normally v healthy.
DH and I are counting our blessings that neither of us has contracted Covid. We had our second boosters last week and were glad that we did when Biden tested positive. We have managed to remain healthy throughout the pandemic and hope that neither of us gets the dreaded virus. Hope Mr.HKP recovers soon.

DH and I are counting our blessings that neither of us has contracted Covid. We had our second boosters last week and were glad that we did when Biden tested positive. We have managed to remain healthy throughout the pandemic and hope that neither of us gets the dreaded virus. Hope Mr.HKP recovers soon.
Thanks Bette he is on the mend for sure.

I try to occasionally pop in here to see what others are going through with this virus.

Currently, I am processing how covirgins () are only about 40% of the population (Seroprevalence of Infection-Induced SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies...). Out of a 23 people in my family (100% vaxed to pertinent recommendation) 5 people have tested positive which leaves the covirgins at approximately 78%. I guess I assumed the rest of the peoples were the same. I anxiously await further studies on who is more susceptible and why.
I have a small immediate family group. About a dozen of us. Only 4 have had Covid. The youngest and most adventurous family members - stopped wearing masks when the mandates ended.
All have contracted Covid twice. Indoor dinner/party each time. Not a simple cold just out of work a few days deal either. One was diagnosed with suspected long covid at 34 years old a few weeks ago. It’s very sad how her health has changed due to Covid.
Everyone is twice vaccinated and most of us are double boosted.

Last edited:

"Even though I think many people are kind of under a delusion that the pandemic is over, it’s not," Horton said. "So I think it’s a good time to kind of go back to our basics that have protected us: masking when in crowded indoor settings, using rapid testing before visiting older vulnerable people or groups," and staying up to date on vaccinations.”

Yep. JMO

I have a small immediate family group. About a dozen of us. Only 4 have had Covid. The youngest and most adventurous family members - stopped wearing masks when the mandates ended.
All have contracted Covid twice. Indoor dinner/party each time. Not a simple cold just out of work a few days deal either. One was diagnosed with suspected long covid at 34 years old a few weeks ago. It’s very sad how her health has changed due to Covid.
Everyone is twice vaccinated and most of us are double boosted.
My husband and I are the only family members who’ve not had Covid. We are vaxxed and boosted. All the adults are vaccinated. My daughter and her husband are nurses and provide direct care In a major hospital. My husband and I mask and limit our exposure to outsiders.

IMO, if he wants to retain his Covid virginity, he'd be much better off skipping the crowded weddings and indoor dinners. If he flies, I wonder if he still masks up.

I'm a Covid virgin, as well, but I do my best to always wear what amounts to a Covid chastity belt. I'm still living like it's 2020 but with four vaccines/boosters.

I hope to stay a virgin but my masks are my chastity belt, along with not going indoors if I'd have to remove them.

Jmo
I practice the same things you do as far as prevention.
I'm also Covid dodger.
My husband had Covid last year and by some miracle I didn't get it. I imagine in time nearly everyone will.
I'd really like to avoid it because:
A) I'm an lifelong asthmatic (well controlled)
B) I'm in my early 60's
C) I'm concerned about long Covid.
D) Being sick is the pits!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sorry Mr. HKP has been having such a tough time with Covid. Prayers for a full recovery!

It's interesting that your own recent infection was relatively mild. Do you think it has affected your Long Covid in any way?

I'm sorry Mr. HKP has been having such a tough time with Covid. Prayers for a full recovery!

It's interesting that your own recent infection was relatively mild. Do you think it has affected your Long Covid in any way?
Thanks Anneg.

Bizarrely, I seem to feel a lot better but I don’t want to tempt fate. I know it hasn’t gone, because I still have “the smell” from time to time and I am tired by the weekend but it doesn’t seem as bad as it was. I know I can relapse easily though so I’m taking it steady.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciimmunol.add9947

(bold red text by me)

Operation Nasal Vaccine—Lightning speed to counter COVID-19​

ERIC J. TOPOL AND AKIKO IWASAKI
SCIENCE IMMUNOLOGY
21 JUL 2022

Just 10 months after the initial genome sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, two mRNA vaccines were demonstrated to provide 95% efficacy against symptomatic infections via randomized, placebo-controlled trials of more than 74,000 participants (1). That unprecedented success was, in part, fueled by the $10 billion governmental investment in Operation Warp Speed (OWS) in March 2020 to accelerate the development, manufacturing, and distribution of COVID-19-19 vaccines. We urgently need such an accelerated initiative now for nasal vaccines.

[...]

As the virus continues its accelerated ability to evade our immune response and increase its transmissibility, we urgently need to achieve population-wide respiratory mucosal immunity. The objective of breaking the chain of transmission at the individual and population level will put us in a far better position to achieve containment of the virus, no less reducing the toll of sickness and long COVID-19. The prospect of achieving this with nasal vaccines is high, but will only be possible with dedicated funding, priority, and breaking down of any regulatory hurdles. While we have waited far too long to take such initiative, a new operation at lightning speed could help us get ahead of the virus and build on the initial success of COVID-19 vaccines.

(more at link)

So, after all this time, rigorous scientific studies indicate what was first thought—-Covid-19 originated from the Wuhan wet market after all, in two separate jumps from wildlife animals to humans.

The only side effect I have from 2nd booster shot yesterday - woke up with a sore arm & a little on the red side where the shot went in. But as the afternoon as passed - the sore arm is almost gone! :) That's the only thing that effected me. I did fall right to sleep last night - which is unusual - as my brain keeps going when my head hits the pillow! LOL!

It was the Moderna one - that is the only kind I have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle