Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

And after all the conspiracy theories he was just a normal everyday “bloke” in Aussie lingo (bloke = man). Congratulations @Identifinders for your work on this case.

Little is known about his early life, Abbott says, but he later married Dorothy Robertson — known as Doff Webb.

When Webb emerged as the prime person of interest on the family tree, Abbott and Fitzpatrick set to work, scouring public records for information about him.

They checked electoral rolls, police files and legal documents. Unfortunately, there were no photos of him to make a visual match.

"The last known record we have of him is in April 1947 when he left Dorothy," said Fitzpatrick, founder of Identifinders International, a genealogical research agency involved in some of America's most high-profile cold cases.

He disappeared and she appeared in court, saying that he had disappeared and she wanted to divorce," Fitzpatrick said.

They had no known children.

Fitzpatrick and Abbott say Robertson filed for divorce in Melbourne, but 1951 documents revealed she had moved to Bute, South Australia — 144 kilometres northeast of Adelaide — establishing a link to the neighbouring state, where the body was found.

"It's possible that he came to this state to try and find her," Abbott speculated.

"This is just us drawing the dots. We can't say for certain say that this is the reason he came, but it seems logical."

The information on public record about Webb sheds some light on the mysteries that have surrounded the case.

They reveal he liked betting on horses, which may explain the "code" found in the book, said Abbott, who had long speculated that the letters could correspond to horses' names.

And the "Tamam Shud" poem? Webb liked poetry and even wrote his own, Abbott said, based on his research.

Last edited:

Professor Abbott said they also found a link between Webb and the name 'T.Keane' - which was printed on the Somerton Man's tie.

'It turns out that Carl Webb has a brother-in-law called Thomas Keane, who lived just 20 minutes drive away from him in Victoria,' Professor Abbott told ABC News.

'So it's not out of the question that these items of clothing he had with T. Keane on them were just hand me downs from his brother-in-law.'

That is epic! Everything assumed about him was red herrings - he was not American, he was not a spy, he had no relationship and a love child with Jestyn, likely did not even know her and he was no dancer, either.
Just a regular local man with an uneventful life.
Now i would like to know whether he really poisoned himself (unlikely but maybe possible if he was down on his luck) oe if he just died from a stroke or heart attack the autopsy couldnt see.
And why did he "disappear" and where did he disappear to which resulted in his wife filing for divorce? I guess the marriage was on the rocks already, she would have reported him missing or at least not have filed for divorce.

From the linked article:

South Australia Police and Forensic Science South Australia have not verified the findings of Abbott, who worked with renowned American genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick to identify Webb as the Somerton man.
Forensic Science SA declined to comment and referred CNN to SA Police, who said there were no updates and that police would provide further comment "when results from the testing are received."

Wait a bit....

jmho ymmv lrr

From the linked article:

South Australia Police and Forensic Science South Australia have not verified the findings of Abbott, who worked with renowned American genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick to identify Webb as the Somerton man.
Forensic Science SA declined to comment and referred CNN to SA Police, who said there were no updates and that police would provide further comment "when results from the testing are received."

Wait a bit....

jmho ymmv lrr

Yes there’s been jostling over this case for a while - LE of course have official ID responsibility under law, but the University has access to the hair samples from the death mask and it was the university that worked with Identifinders on the case. So a reputable international company worked the sample and geneaology but it’s not been proven/confirmed to Australian legal standards at this time. (Just my Aussie lay-woman’s understanding.)

This is very interesting and still so many questions! The horse racing connection is interesting considering this fellow was found by jockeys on the beach with their horses.

If the 'coded' note is related to horse betting, it'd be good to have a look at Trove's newspaper archives for Adelaide Advertiser (and any other local press) around Dec 1, 1948 to see what races were being run and see if there's any horse names that line up with the note's letters. This article says Kadina races were running December 1 and Victor Harbor had races December 2.
Of course, the note could cover the previous week's race meets (or older!)

LOL, so looks like not a spy at all , just someone who bet on the horses like many others did.

Oh how we tied ourselves in knots with so many theories, some more bizarre and outlandish than others :D
Imagine how Derek Abbott feels! He had a monster theory and it was proven wrong. But he was involved in the solve. Heck he's dedicated a huge part of his life to solving this mystery.

I think most of these mysteries end up being a little more mundane than the wild theories.

Hard to believe someone could die and nobody missed them enough to bother telling the police who they were. Surely someone who knew him saw his picture in the newspaper? The story has had a lot of coverage over the years. Very strange.

So Webb had 6 siblngs, parents, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, in-laws, workmates and schoolmates, friends and acquaintances, neighbours, knew bookmakers, publicans and his local shopkeepers, but none of them put their hand up if they saw his picture in the papers. Not even his wife. Why am I finding this all a little too convenient and dubious? Was Jessica involved in the disposal of his body, placing the TS slip in his pocket and dumping the Rubaiyat? Are the authorities going to sign off on this?

Hard to believe someone could die and nobody missed them enough to bother telling the police who they were. Surely someone who knew him saw his picture in the newspaper? The story has had a lot of coverage over the years. Very strange.

1948 Australia… 3 years post-WW2. No TV just radio and print newspapers. Adelaide back then was a LONG way from his family ties to Melbourne. My family lived near the Princes Highway that connects the two cities. Even in the 70s it was single paved lane in both directions, Not even a divided road. We are talking at least 2 LONG days to drive Mel-Adl, or for this man, a lengthy train ride. It was quite the effort for our guy to get there in the 40s.

My father was one of 10 kids. Not a close family and many didn’t keep in touch. I also don’t think we ever saw a newspaper in our house even in the 70s. News in the 40s was discussed - for example - in the parking lot after church or at the pub bar. Australian pubs usually had a family dining room attached and were kind of a bar/diner combined. With gossip but without visuals I think it would have been very possible for family to not know this was their sibling or friend.

I also bet it was the outlandish theories being gossiped about and reported on the radio - Is he American? A spy? What a mystery! Why would his siblings have ever thought this could be their everyday family member?

1948 Australia… 3 years post-WW2. No TV just radio and print newspapers. Adelaide back then was a LONG way from his family ties to Melbourne. My family lived near the Princes Highway that connects the two cities. Even in the 70s it was single paved lane in both directions, Not even a divided road. We are talking at least 2 LONG days to drive Mel-Adl, or for this man, a lengthy train ride. It was quite the effort for our guy to get there in the 40s.

My father was one of 10 kids. Not a close family and many didn’t keep in touch. I also don’t think we ever saw a newspaper in our house even in the 70s. News in the 40s was discussed - for example - in the parking lot after church or at the pub bar. Australian pubs usually had a family dining room attached and were kind of a bar/diner combined. With gossip but without visuals I think it would have been very possible for family to not know this was their sibling or friend.

I also bet it was the outlandish theories being gossiped about and reported on the radio - Is he American? A spy? What a mystery! Why would his siblings have ever thought this could be their everyday family member?

Thanks Melt, a realistic portrayal of Australian life back then and a logical explanation for why he wasn’t identified earlier. Also, I don’t know why a theory that his wallet was stolen wasn’t put forward.jmo

OH joy!!! I love to see these things happen! So as for Robin — illegitimate son, perhaps?
Nope, Robin and his daughter Rachel have no connection to Charles at all. The whole Jestyn story was a red herring, her denying to ever have seen him turned out to be the truth after all. She likely really didnt know him.
As for her phone in his notebook, well, she was a nurse, he may have gotten her contact from someone for whatever reason but never actually met her. I have plenty of phone number in my address book i never used.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back