SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here’s what puzzles me. If the plan was only to kill MM and PM was collateral damage..killing MM alone wouldn’t have stopped the scrutiny of AM’s finances. Wasn’t the civil suit asking for his financials as well…or am I mistaken?
This bothers me as well. AM’s legal problems didn’t die with PM & MM. Maybe he wasn’t thinking past his court date a few days after the murders? I wonder if he usually flies by the seat of his pants?

I agree. He does appear to be motivated by financial gain. Other obvious signs he displays, in my opinion, are impaired or absent sense of guilt, remorse, or compassion. I wouldn’t say he enjoys killing, but does so to gain or protect his social and financial standing. This is my opinion only. I realize it may be shocking to some, but It may , in the end, fit his actions and deeds once they are all realized and known.
I'm curious if AM has a string of other crimes in his past, or coverups for others ?
To go from stealing from your place of employment to being charged with murdering your own wife and son seem like a large leap ?
What else has he escaped justice for ?
My .02.

I'm curious if AM has a string of other crimes in his past, or coverups for others ?
To go from stealing from your place of employment to being charged with murdering your own wife and son seem like a large leap ?
My .02.
The financial crimes were horrific in their own right, and Alex left countless victims in his wake. I think there was a slippery slope there, and his crimes got more brazen over time. Eventually it all came to a head, and he saw the writing on the wall. The murders would have been an act of desperation by a man who knew that his life as he knew it was about to come to an end.

I do think there are other crimes we don't know about, but I have no trouble believing that the crimes we know about led directly to this one.

My .02.
Take a DEEP dive into him and you may be surprised, IMO.

Former banker, Murdaugh associate Russell Laffitte given $500K bond in federal fraud case

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Former Palmetto State Bank CEO Russell Laffitte – an associate of Alex Murdaugh – was given a $500,000 bond during a Wednesday morning arraignment in Charleston, of which he must pay $25,000.

Laffitte would not comment on the case to News 2 while leaving court on Wednesday.

In the article it says Lafitte doesn’t think he committed any crimes.
Please someone tell me what ethics class teaches that it is OK to loan yourself and others money from someone else’s account without their knowledge. In fact in what universe is this OK?
All of us would be thrown under the jail for this, but this guy, the president of the bank, thinks it was OK.

My .02.
MO
That’s what I am thinking too. When did AM start these behaviors. Has he been involved in or near by “ mysterious deaths” of clients in the past. That could be the bigger picture.
It’s my opinion only, but I think LE needs to look into his past.

In the article it says Lafitte doesn’t think he committed any crimes.
Please someone tell me what ethics class teaches that it is OK to loan yourself and others money from someone else’s account without their knowledge. In fact in what universe is this OK?
All of us would be thrown under the jail for this, but this guy, the president of the bank, thinks it was OK.
Well didn't DH say his client (AM) "doesn't believe he is guilty"? Must be a common response.

Well didn't DH say his client (AM) "doesn't believe he is guilty"? Must be a common response.
I guess if you have been raised and have lived your life among people who do not believe the law, any law pertains to you, you do what these folks have done. They have no idea what the real world is all about. MOO MOO MOO

Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case …

Hakeem Pinckney died Oct. 11, 2011, of cardiac arrest, which — according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the nursing home in 2014 — occurred after his ventilator had become unplugged for more than 30 minutes before someone noticed.

His death came just four days after a multimillion-dollar settlement had been reached in his case.

In the aftermath of Hakeem’s passing, Murdaugh and Laffitte appear to have fraudulently represented Hakeem as alive to at least one insurance company.

They also seem to have determined on their own — outside the purview of the court and state law — who would receive Hakeem’s fortune. The part that wasn’t allegedly stolen, anyway.

Then the two embarked on what would become a three-year caper to cover their alleged tracks.

Their main objective seems to have been to keep Hakeem’s father, Melverick Edwards, far from Hakeem’s estate — and therefore nowhere near discovering their alleged crimes.

Documents obtained by FITSNews show that, in doing so, these two men created, in the plainest of terms, an unconscionable mess.

Hakeem Pinckney becomes a resident at PruittHealth in North Augusta — about two hours from his family in Hampton County.

NOTE: This means Hakeem is no longer a resident of Hampton County. Later Murdaugh and Laffitte will let the court believe that he is — presumably so they can conduct their business through the Hampton County Probate Court, where both men were well known.

The forms get filed in Hampton County Probate Court on June 2, 2010, even though Hakeem is now a resident of Aiken County.

State law dictates that the venue for guardianship proceedings is “in the place where the alleged incapacitated individual or ward resides or is present.”

NOTE: The decision to open Hakeem’s estate in Hampton County is a significant one because of Alex Murdaugh’s relationship with the court, which seems to have granted him broad access and unusual leeway in his cases. This unique access is seen a significant contributing factor in his ability to conduct his alleged scheme.

Also on this date, a “Consent to Appointment of Conservator” document is signed by Hakeem Pinckney with an “X.” Pamela Pinckney and a relative named Carrie B. Pinckney attest to witnessing Hakeem sign the consent document “freely and willingly.”

Though no notary stamp appears on the page, Alex Murdaugh appears to have signed the document as the notary, saying his commission expires Aug. 3, 2016.
After reading the article again, I noticed something I hadn't earlier...

"Hakeem’s mother, Pamela Pinckney, does the same, but her form does not include the date she signed it.
On both forms, the words “personal representative,” which appear twice on each document, are crossed off with a pen and the word “conservator” is handwritten over top."

The article even produces a picture of it being crossed out.

Now compare that situation with MM's will.

"The document, signed in 2005, listed Maggie's sister as the executor of her estate but her name was crossed out. Handwritten above it, the name of her father-in-law, Randolph Murdaugh, who died of natural causes back in June."

Nope, nada, no way is this just a coincidence. This is my opinion but it can't be an coincidence.

As crooked as AM has behaved and acted in the past---this would be right up his alley..........

Former banker Russell Laffitte hit with federal indictments for conspiracy, wire fraud, bank fraud

Specifically, the indictment alleges that Laffitte, while serving as conservator for two of Murdaugh's clients, extended $355,000 in personal loans to himself and $990,000 in personal loans to Murdaugh from client funds held at the Hampton bank, and much of these funds were used to cover overdrafts on Murdaugh's personal account.

Also, according to the indictment, on two occasions, Laffitte misapplied bank funds: on Oct. 28, 2021, Laffitte paid the law firm $680,000 without notice to or consent from PSB, knowing that he had fraudulently transferred the money to the bank customer. Finally, the indictment alleges that on July 15, 2021, Laffitte misapplied $750,000 of bank funds by extending an unsecured commercial loan to Murdaugh.

WOW !!! Just WOW !!!

Unbelievable !!!

Finally, justice is coming and the killer, thieves, embezzlers, scammers and liars will be in prison.

That is a lot of money to help "cover overdrafts"--
No wonder MM was looking into divorce... $990,000--personal loan??

$750,000 Unsecured "business" loan ??? to AM --

AM sure had this banker, RL, in his pocket....and probably a few others.

OMG

Here's the thing about the unplugged ventilator. They have alarms INCLUDING back up battery powered alarms which cannot be silenced unless / until the vent has electrical.power restored.
Someone with knowledge would have to go through the ventilator shut down sequence to truly silence the alarm permanently. OR a rubber 'lung' placed on the tubing to mimic (to the sensors and feedback mechanisms) the patient still being connected.
This was no accidental disconnection.
Have we ever read or heard that this death is under investigation? Does family have counsel?

You are right, if the alarm was sounding someone(s) was ignoring it or someone used that “rubber lung” tRick. Certainly there are records of who was working that shift, and someone must know if Hakeem had visitors around that time. Most rehab/nursing homes I’ve been to you have to sign in and out, even family.

Russell Laffitte signs disbursement sheets at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick and receives two checks: one for $309,581.46 from the Estate of Hakeem Pinckney and $325,000 from Natasha Thomas’ client trust account. The money was intended for their conservator accounts but was never deposited, according to indictments.

According to the July 20, 2022, federal indictment of Russell Laffitte, Laffitte “distributed the funds” at Murdaugh’s direction, as follows:

$10,000 deposit was made to Maggie Murdaugh’s account.
$9,500 money order.
$920.29 principal payment to a loan on Alex Murdaugh’s boat.
$3,137.30 interest payment to a loan on Alex Murdaugh’s boat.
$100,000 money order to Laffitte’s father, Charlie Laffitte, to “pay off a personal loan.
$50,135.61 money order to repay loans from the conservatorship account of Hannah Plyler.
$91,220.57 money order to repay loans from the conservatorship account of Hannah Plyler.
$329,500 money order to Murdaugh’s father, Randolph Murdaugh III
$40,167.69 money order to “repay loans Russell Lucius Laffitte extended as conservator for M.W.”

NOTE: “M.W.” refers to Malik Williams. Laffitte served as conservator to Williams, who was a client of Paul Detrick, a partner at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick in a 2004 case. According to the indictment, Laffitte gave himself a loan from Malik’s account. The details of Malik’s case are not known. Laffitte was also the conservator to two young sisters, Hannah and Alania Plyler, whose mother and brother were killed in a 2005 crash on Interstate 95 in Hampton County. Both girls were injured in the crash. Murdaugh served as their attorney. Earlier this year, it became clear that Laffitte had secretly loaned himself and Murdaugh money at below-market interest rates from Hannah Plyler’s account, which he managed. According to the July 20, 2022, federal indictment, beginning on July 18, 2011, Laffitte took eight unsecured loans from Hannah’s account, totaling $355,000. Beginning Sept. 14, 2011, Laffitte allowed Murdaugh to take 14 unsecured loans from Hannah’s account, totaling $990,000.

The ‘generational‘ aspect of this is very revealing IMO. Both their fathers received money from this situation. AM’s father got over $300,000, Lafitte’s father got $100,000.

We know the way jobs and power were seemingly passed down in AM’s family. Lafitte’s father had also preceded him at the bank. IMO, it is very possible that, things had been done this way for a long time, across generations…and there was an attitude that nothing was wrong with it.

If so, I wonder if anyone will ever know how many victims there are, how many people have been cheated and deceived.
just my opinion.

After reading the article again, I noticed something I hadn't earlier...

"Hakeem’s mother, Pamela Pinckney, does the same, but her form does not include the date she signed it.
On both forms, the words “personal representative,” which appear twice on each document, are crossed off with a pen and the word “conservator” is handwritten over top."

The article even produces a picture of it being crossed out.

Now compare that situation with MM's will.

"The document, signed in 2005, listed Maggie's sister as the executor of her estate but her name was crossed out. Handwritten above it, the name of her father-in-law, Randolph Murdaugh, who died of natural causes back in June."

Nope, nada, no way is this just a coincidence. This is my opinion but it can't be an coincidence.

As crooked as AM has behaved and acted in the past---this would be right up his alley..........

You saw that as well.

The ‘generational‘ aspect of this is very revealing IMO. Both their fathers received money from this situation. AM’s father got over $300,000, Lafitte’s father got $100,000.

We know the way jobs and power were seemingly passed down in AM’s family. Lafitte’s father had also preceded him at the bank. IMO, it is very possible that, things had been done this way for a long time, across generations…and there was an attitude that nothing was wrong with it.

If so, I wonder if anyone will ever know how many victims there are, how many people have been cheated and deceived.
just my opinion.

Agree with your assessment.

Jmo

Some background.

Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case … | FitsNews, 26 July 2022​

This is a news analysis.

When Hakeem Pinckney‘s family visited him at the North Augusta nursing home where he lived, they wouldn’t announce themselves beforehand.

They would do a ”pop-up” and intentionally surprise the staff in the hopes of seeing the actual conditions in which Hakeem was living — in the hopes of seeing how the son and brother they loved was being treated on any given day.

One time, they found him lying on a bed stained with his urine.

Another time, they discovered that the whistle-like device Hakeem used to communicate any medical distress with the nursing home staff had fallen behind his bed. This was a particularly cruel act of negligence because Hakeem was deaf and, as a result of an August 2009 car wreck, a quadriplegic.

But his mind was good. …

Last edited:

Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case … | FitsNews … continued…​

… He was a bright and thriving 21-year-old man now trapped in a body he couldn’t operate on his own. He was living in one of the only nursing homes he could afford until his and his family’s lawsuits could be settled against the maker of the tires that had failed them.

When that happened, Hakeem was going to get the best treatment money could buy.

His family was going to be able to bring him home.

Sadly, he did not live to go home. Nor did he see a dime of that settlement.

Instead, his grieving mother was left with the permanent heartbreak of knowing her son could not be saved in time.

Hakeem Pinckney died Oct. 11, 2011, of cardiac arrest, which — according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the nursing home in 2014 — occurred after his ventilator had become unplugged for more than 30 minutes before someone noticed. …

Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case … | FitsNews … continued…​

… His death came just four days after a multimillion-dollar settlement had been reached in his case.

Under normal circumstances, the timing of this might cause a person to reflect on the tragic twist of fate that had befallen him and his loved ones.

But there are no “normal circumstances” in this case.

Hakeem Pinckney was a client of the now disbarred Hampton County attorney Alex Murdaugh.

He was also represented by a conservator — Murdaugh’s friend Russell Laffitte, the former CEO of Palmetto State Bank.

Everything — every fact, every document, every rumor uttered — about Hakeem’s case must now be revisited and scrutinized. [BBM]

Murdaugh and Laffitte face multiple charges of theft and fraud in Hakeem’s case. Laffitte faces additional federal charges. So far, the two are accused of stealing around $1 million from Hakeem’s estate and from his family.

But the alleged bad acts go much deeper than that. …

Last edited:

… The monetary value of Hakeem Pinckney’s life presented a major opportunity to Murdaugh and Laffitte, two piratical buffoons whose last names doubled as résumés.

Hakeem was a young man. He would require intensive medical care for the rest of his life. The payout for his case was expected to be substantial.

Thus, Hakeem’s untimely death would be a major problem for Murdaugh and Laffitte. His death would mean a lot less money coming their way.

So …

In the aftermath of Hakeem’s passing, Murdaugh and Laffitte appear to have fraudulently represented Hakeem as alive to at least one insurance company.

They also seem to have determined on their own — outside the purview of the court and state law — who would receive Hakeem’s fortune. The part that wasn’t allegedly stolen, anyway.

Then the two embarked on what would become a three-year caper to cover their alleged tracks.

Their main objective seems to have been to keep Hakeem’s father, Melverick Edwards, far from Hakeem’s estate — and therefore nowhere near discovering their alleged crimes.

Documents obtained by FITSNews show that, in doing so, these two men created, in the plainest of terms, an unconscionable mess.

And while Murdaugh’s and Laffitte’s high-priced attorneys help them craft a truth seaworthy enough to navigate the rough waters of these facts, everyone affected by their actions will be left to figure out how to fix what they did. …

— —- —-
can someone else continue the post? @Elley Mae ? @Warwick7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member