AK AK - Mary Dawn Wilson, 69 - 2-YO Grandchild Found Locked in Abandoned Car, Healy, 12 July 2022

Alaska State Trooper FB post states she was last seen morning of 7/12/22 at a residence near Healy where she stayed the night with friends.

The way that’s worded (a residence near Healy) I wonder if it actually was a friends’ house? Or an AirBNB type of situation where they all met up to stay for the night?
Thx for the info. So on the 12th, Healy had daylight from 4:06am until 11:54pm, so only about 4 hours of darkness.
MOO...I have a feeling she was going either going for help & thought she could make the trek faster without the child & would be back shortly, but ran into trouble. Or a "good samaritan" took advantage of the situation when coming up on the scene, but left the child since they wouldn't be able to identify the perp.

Did the baby stay with her at the friends/airbnb/residence or did she begin her babysitting time after that night?
IIRC it was implied the baby had been w her for some time (several days to week(s)?) as the child’s mother was away in another part of the state working in the mines. I read in an article somewhere (can’t remember where unfortunately) it took a day or so for CPS to get in touch w the mother as she was pretty far from this area.

I haven't seen anywhere any detail about with whom/where she was staying prior to driving up the trail/road.
The timeline may be very different from what we've been told.
What if the car was driven there by someone else and only there for a couple hours before being found? What if Mary was never anywhere near this road?
Just my opinion, happy to be told where my reasoning could be wrong!

Thx for the info. So on the 12th, Healy had daylight from 4:06am until 11:54pm, so only about 4 hours of darkness.
MOO...I have a feeling she was going either going for help & thought she could make the trek faster without the child & would be back shortly, but ran into trouble. Or a "good samaritan" took advantage of the situation when coming up on the scene, but left the child since they wouldn't be able to identify the perp.
Haven’t seen much from the child’s mother, has it been confirmed that the missing is in fact the mother of the child’s mother (so officially grandma)? One would think her voice would be the loudest…

Also take a look at the newest comments on the Alaskan State PD FB Post… something doesn’t feel right for a number of reasons…

Haven’t seen much from the child’s mother, has it been confirmed that the missing is in fact the mother of the child’s mother (so officially grandma)? One would think her voice would be the loudest…

Also take a look at the newest comments on the Alaskan State PD FB Post… something doesn’t feel right for a number of reasons…
Alaska State Troopers page.

Post about Mary.

Mary's NAMUS page. #MP93436

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mary Wilson was reported missing on 07-14-2022 at 0130 hours, when her vehicle was located stuck at approximately 6.8 mile of the Stampede Trail near Healy. Inside the vehicle was an approximately two-year-old girl who Mary had agreed to watch for several days. Mary was last seen the morning of 07-12-2022 at a residence near Healy where she stayed the night with friends. Personal items belonging to Mary were located at approximately 7.8 mile of the Stampede Trail. Extensive searches of the area have been unsuccessful in locating her.

You would think mom would be screaming for help.

I haven't seen anywhere any detail about with whom/where she was staying prior to driving up the trail/road.
The timeline may be very different from what we've been told.
What if the car was driven there by someone else and only there for a couple hours before being found? What if Mary was never anywhere near this road?
Just my opinion, happy to be told where my reasoning could be wrong!
Interesting theory!

It was confirmed that Mary is a family friend who was caring for the child while the mom was working at a mine.

"Wilson was also referred to by troopers as the child’s grandmother, but authorities now say she is a close family friend, and was meant to be watching over the tot."

Also, WRT the Road/Trail, this article has a good description of the condition of the Road/Trail:

"Stampede Road heads west off the Parks Highway at mile 251. The first four miles are paved, the second four are dirt and gravel, after which it deteriorates into a trail."

So it was possibly still daylight when she abandoned the car? I wish we could pinpoint the location the car was found.
Yes. I was in AK at the beginning of July and they had almost 20 hrs of daylight. Even during the "night" it was more of a dusk setting. Hopeful they will be able to find her soon.

Yes. I was in AK at the beginning of July and they had almost 20 hrs of daylight. Even during the "night" it was more of a dusk setting. Hopeful they will be able to find her soon.
Who is looking? Alaska State Troopers won't go back out unless they get a lead.

The search was changed from “active” to “reactive,” meaning that a search could be launched again if officials receive new information or evidence, the statement said.

The statement added that at “this time, there is no evidence of foul play associated with Wilson’s disappearance.”

State troopers are the state's Search and Rescue (SAR) so if they aren't actively looking then who will fill the gap?
Contact Us
Lt. Paul Fussey
Search and Rescue Coordinator
Phone: 907-269-5682
Email: paul.fussey@alaska.gov

So it was possibly still daylight when she abandoned the car? I wish we could pinpoint the location the car was found.
I am more interested in exactly what items they identified as hers were found at mile 7.8. Did she undress completely (underwear found)? Were any medications left behind? What about her shoes? Were these items found ON THE TRAIL or off the main trail? How close was she to the river when these items were left? Did they find any human or animal tracks? I read heavy rain made finding tracks impossible.

Is the evidence they found documented? Photos? Sizes & labels? It could be helpful to release that info.

What family does Mary have? Children? She is said to be not related to the child she was caring for.

Why is no one advocating for an ongoing search? Summer is short where her car was found. By Sept/Oct it will be too late until summer 2023.

JMO

Last edited:
I am bothered that there don't appear to be family members or close friends posting about Mary on FB. Yes, LE and some MSM have posted about it, but comments from anyone who knows her on those posts are few and far between. Appears she is a member of a church (from a few comments scattered across the various official postings), and we obviously know she has the trust of the mother of the toddler, so she does have some social connections, at least from what I can glean.
Mary doesn't appear to have any SM accounts though, so maybe that's part of why there is so little posted by those who know her personally (i.e. they can't tag her?), but still- I'd think some sort of postings from those who know her could encourage up some of those in the area to organize something since LE has stopped their official search.
I don't believe Mary herself is from or resides in Healy, but she clearly has some friends in the area who she stayed with before her disappearance.

I meant, if she left the house that morning she would have ended up there a couple of hours later IN the afternoon. WTH happened next? Why abandon the search so quickly?
Or even sooner than afternoon- if she stayed "near Healy" as LE has provided, the road where the car was found is technically in Healy itself: the businesses along Stampede Road have Healy addresses. It would be helpful for LE to provide the public with so many details that (to me, as an outsider) feel harmless and simple... but of course things may not be as they seem, and there is *hopefully* more going on behind the scenes.

I am bothered that there don't appear to be family members or close friends posting about Mary on FB. Yes, LE and some MSM have posted about it, but comments from anyone who knows her on those posts are few and far between. Appears she is a member of a church (from a few comments scattered across the various official postings), and we obviously know she has the trust of the mother of the toddler, so she does have some social connections, at least from what I can glean.
Mary doesn't appear to have any SM accounts though, so maybe that's part of why there is so little posted by those who know her personally (i.e. they can't tag her?), but still- I'd think some sort of postings from those who know her could encourage up some of those in the area to organize something since LE has stopped their official search.
I don't believe Mary herself is from or resides in Healy, but she clearly has some friends in the area who she stayed with before her disappearance.
I was amazed at how few commented on her missing. Kind of sad, no sense of community.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back