CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like "Follow the Money" eventually worked for this case.
Marshall Ross, lacked some basic understanding of the the law regarding loans and debt.

Killing the person who lends you my money, does not eliminate your debt.
Killing a person who has left you money in their will, only works until you get caught.
Common law, says you cannot financially benefit from a crime.

Some interesting parallels between the Glen Davis murder case and the Sherman crime. It too took a number of years to get the conviction.
Seems it took less than two years for this killer to be charged, which seems not that long for a 'contract' killing, but the Shermans have now been dead for coming up to five years this December.

From the same link:
Ross retains a boyish appearance despite his incarceration since his arrest in 2009, almost two years after the 66-year-old Davis was fatally shot on May 18, 2007, in the underground parking lot of 245 Eglinton Ave. E.

Seems it took less than two years for this killer to be charged, which seems not that long for a 'contract' killing, but the Shermans have now been dead for coming up to five years this December.

From the same link:
Ross retains a boyish appearance despite his incarceration since his arrest in 2009, almost two years after the 66-year-old Davis was fatally shot on May 18, 2007, in the underground parking lot of 245 Eglinton Ave. E.

I would suggest that the killers that Marshall Ross hired were not of the level or caliber that were involved in the Sherman murders.
If I remember correctly, one of the contract killers was detained on another charge, and basically confessed to the police.

Recently, two major criminal cases have been ended with the accused walking free. I would think this sort of action by the courts has to shake up the whole TPS and would have them checking everything they are doing in the Sherman case.

The latest case relates to a TPS officer's questionable evidence gathering and statements.

The Hells Angels/gambling case points to the fact that once you lay charges, the clock starts ticking regarding the 'accused's right to a speedy trial'. Do not lay charges until yo can get to court quickly.

With 10 million dollars being offered as a reward, it could make some kind of conflict of interest where some information may be ignored in the favor of some other information which could delay things.

With 10 million dollars being offered as a reward, it could make some kind of conflict of interest where some information may be ignored in the favor of some other information which could delay things.
newclues
Not sure I understand. Law Enforcement is not eligible for the reward, so it should not influence the TPS investigation. How could the reward create a conflict of interest?

From the same link:
Some things to consider, imo.

By Betsy Powell
July 30, 2022
''Zaduk added it was “absurd” for Ross to believe the four deaths would result in the debt being wiped out. “He was not an unsophisticated person who believed such naive legal fallacies,” the lawyer said.

He dismissed Joe as a braggart and liar who made up the tale to gain an advantage with the parole board. Although he was indeed recently paroled, Joe vehemently denied this. During cross-examination, Zaduk asked Joe if all four murders had to be carried out simultaneously, “just like the last scene of ‘The Godfather’?” Joe agreed.

Zaduk picked up the film reference again in his closing argument Thursday, saying such a slaughter would be a job worthy of the Corleone family.''

The “fantastic” nature of staging a quadruple murder didn’t go unnoticed by the British-born judge, a tall, well-respected former civil litigator from Toronto who specialized in sports law, particularly involving rugby.

“Killing Glen Davis in the hopes of inheriting the whole empire is fantastic, but it’s consistent,” the prosecutor responded, referring to Ross’s original motive for ordering Davis’s murder.''

I keep wondering about the staging of the bodies, and read somewhere on here, if you solve that you solve the crime. Also, can only find ONE reference to the fact that the coats were pulled down BOTH Honey and Barry's arms...in KW book and other of his reporting, and yet AFTER he saw the autopsy photos he doesn't say it again...so were the coats pulled down? Or not...or does that matter if it's NOT M/S.? anyway morning thooghts on this case.

Fwiw..rbbm.
''The reports quote private investigators who say there were markings on both of the Shermans’ wrists, a sign that at some point both had been tied up. They also say the pair were found seated, poolside, with winter coats pulled down over their shoulders to limit arm movement and with belts pulled tight around their necks. Those belts were likely the cause for ligature marks on their necks and likely also the cause of their deaths.''

''While earlier media reports suggested they died by hanging, sources say that is incorrect. They were found in a seated position at the side of a pool in a lower level of the house, with their legs facing away from the pool. The belts were around the neck, with the end of the belt through the buckle and pulled tight. The free end of each belt was then looped or tied around a low railing that surrounds the pool. Sources say a working theory of the private team probing the deaths is that the Shermans were strangled by the belts, then the belts were attached to the railing, holding them in a seated position.''

''The Shermans were wearing winter coats that were pushed back away from the shoulders and down, which would have the effect of immobilizing the arms. ''

''On the morning of Friday, December 15, 2017, Barry Sherman, multi-billionaire founder of Canadian pharmaceutical company Apotex and well-known philanthropist, was discovered in the basement of his 12,000-square-foot home in Toronto, in a seated position, legs outstretched, the right leg crossed neatly over the left, his back to the lap pool. He was wearing his glasses, perched undisturbed on his nose. His bomber-style jacket was pulled slightly off his shoulders and down, which held his arms at his sides. Beside him, Honey, his wife of forty-seven years, known as the “queen” of Toronto’s Jewish community, was in a similar position, the light coat she wore also pulled off her shoulders, holding her hands at her sides''.

''Kevin Donovan · 2019 · ‎True Crime
The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman Kevin Donovan ... His bomber-style jacket was pulled slightly off his shoulders and down''

Thanks @ Bobbi Pearl for heads up about podcasts.
“The Lives and Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman” is an eight-part “forensic biography” of the incredible rise and the tragic deaths of pharma billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife Honey. This series shines a light on what extreme wealth does – not just for people, but to them.''

Does anyone know if the black belts that were used in the staging were the Canadian Tire belts that Honey bought for Barry?

''Q: You also write that you don’t think the killer or killers were professionals. One reason is the use of belts—one was taken from an upstairs bedroom. Organized criminals don’t look for their murder weapons at the scene.​

A: I’ve not seen crime scene photos. But I was told belts were used. Barry was wearing a belt that morning, one Honey bought him at Canadian Tire. The other belt was from their bedroom, or my supposition is that was where the other belt was. I don’t think a foreign object was brought into the house to do the killing. Why the pool? Because it’s out of the way, because the tile floor can be cleaned up easier.''

''Barry heads to the office mid-morning. He is wearing one of two belts Honey recently purchased at Canadian Tire for $9.99 each, and “proudly” shows off how good it looks to Honey and Denise Gold.''

Sources say a working theory of the private team probing the deaths is that the Shermans were strangled by the belts, then the belts were attached to the railing, holding them in a seated position.''
:oops:
As if the belts had a certain meaning to the killer ..... As if the killer had seen the belts before and knew, there were two identical belts ..... Why the belts of all objects, you could have found in the home? Someone also had a good sense of proportion to know, that the length of the belts would be sufficient for staging on the railing .....

Last edited:
Thanks @ Bobbi Pearl for heads up about podcasts.
“The Lives and Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman” is an eight-part “forensic biography” of the incredible rise and the tragic deaths of pharma billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife Honey. This series shines a light on what extreme wealth does – not just for people, but to them.''
I hope it is not a rehash of KD's book and all the published articles out today.

This is CBC so we will see if it has any new observations.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, branded as CBC/Radio-Canada, is a Canadian public broadcaster for both radio and television. It is a federal Crown corporation funded by the government. The English- and French-language service units of the corporation are commonly known as CBC and Radio-Canada, respectively. Wikipedia

:oops:
As if the belts had a certain meaning to the killer ..... As if the killer had seen the belts before and knew, there were two identical belts ..... Why the belts of all objects, you could have found in the home? Someone also had a good sense of proportion to know, that the length of the belts would be sufficient for staging on the railing .....
Rbbm
Excellent point about the belts!

I find the obsession with the belts and their origin rather perplexing. The fact they were bought from Canadian Tire by the Shermans makes for interesting newspaper copy but does not lead us to the killer(s). There is probably a factory somewhere in Asia that produces millions of belts that are retailed by scores of retailers including Canadian Tire.

If one uses the belts as proof the perpetrator(s) were family or otherwise known to the victims, in my opinion that is already a forgone conclusion. Based on historical probabilities, other evidence, and the "follow the money" theory some sleuthers are focused on a select group of individuals.

In my opinion only, I believe the TPS has the same focus. As I surmised previously the TPS has not laid charges because they are not 100% sure of a conviction at this point in the court time allowed.

BTW in the Marshall Ross case, the charges were not laid against him, until one of the 'hit men' was arrested on another charge and arranged a plea bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23