FL - Sara Morales, 35, shot dead by motorcyclist she hit with car, Orange City, 20 Nov 2021

Would the law have been on her side if she had just opened fire claiming the same fear that they were going to kill her as the shooter in this case claimed? And they would have found those weapons on the people who were shot down.
No. They were not posing an imminent threat to her, they were also not on the premises. By coming out of her house with a firearm she was breaking the law. Had she fired at the men, she would have been guilty of attempted murder. You have to have a reason to pull out a firearm and use it. There is a reason why Derr was never charged. All the evidence proves she was the aggressor, not him.

No. They were not posing an imminent threat to her, they were also not on the premises. By coming out of her house with a firearm she was breaking the law. Had she fired at the men, she would have been guilty of attempted murder. You have to have a reason to pull out a firearm and use it. There is a reason why Derr was never charged. All the evidence proves she was the aggressor, not him.

She was the aggressor while defending her home is the new rule? The person who done the killing followed her, therefore putting himself in this position. I’m sorry but I have to side with the homeowner. But at any rate, I see who wins the statistic game here and it fits right into the State Attorney philosophy so it goes.

She was the aggressor while defending her home is the new rule? The person who done the killing followed her, therefore putting himself in this position. I’m sorry but I have to side with the homeowner. But at any rate, I see who wins the statistic game here and it fits right into the State Attorney philosophy so it goes.
I'm not sure what you mean. She was the aggressor from the beginning. She caused a traffic accident and did not pull over, as required. She ran home, instead of to the sheriff substation which was very close to her house. She then came out of her house and confronted the men with a firearm. Meanwhile the men were in the street adjacent to her home. The shooter in this case had multiple witnesses who verified his version of the facts, the authorities took a couple of looks at everything and twice cleared him.

As I said in the beginning, it is critical to know your state's laws for self defense and for firearms use. It is clear that Sara Morales did not know them in this case. She made many bad decisions and paid for it with her life.

I'm not sure what you mean. She was the aggressor from the beginning. She caused a traffic accident and did not pull over, as required. She ran home, instead of to the sheriff substation which was very close to her house. She then came out of her house and confronted the men with a firearm. Meanwhile the men were in the street adjacent to her home. The shooter in this case had multiple witnesses who verified his version of the facts, the authorities took a couple of looks at everything and twice cleared him.

As I said in the beginning, it is critical to know your state's laws for self defense and for firearms use. It is clear that Sara Morales did not know them in this case. She made many bad decisions and paid for it with her life.
She was not the aggressor in the beginning! Witnesses said he was traveling at a high rate of speed when she pulled in front of him.
(Whether inadvertently or on purpose).

I wonder if he was wearing a helmet and sunglasses. I ask because that alone would have been intimidating. (I hate not being able to see a person's eyes. Especially one who is angry).

Biker dude's need to stop SM went beyond what was safe AND logical. All over a scuffed saddlebag. Further down the road where she was going to turn onto her road home, the 3 men again attempted to stop her.
You don't think this would have scared the heck out of her?

SM's mother could hear the 3 men roaring down their street on their motorcycles and asked, "who does this?!" Who does this? A biker boy looking to get revenge on a woman (terrified or not,) who wouldn't conform to HIS orders. And 2 other biker dudes who tried to stop her.

And no, and unfortunately he was not charged with a homicide or anything else for that matter. My comment pertained to had she been pregnant, he should, would or could have been charged with "the baby's" murder.
AND we don't know if BD (biker dude) had drugs in his system. He was released before he could be tested.

She was not the aggressor in the beginning! Witnesses said he was traveling at a high rate of speed when she pulled in front of him.

I wonder if he was wearing a helmet and sunglasses. I ask because that alone would have been intimidating. (I hate not being able to see a person's eyes. Especially one who is angry).

Biker dude's need to stop SM went beyond what was safe AND logical. All over a scuffed saddlebag. Further down the road where she was going to turn onto her road home, the 3 men again attempted to stop her.

SM's mother could hear the 3 men roaring down their street on their motorcycles and asked, "who does this?!" Who does this? A biker boy looking to get revenge on a woman (terrified or not,) who wouldn't conform to HIS orders. And 2 other biker dudes who tried to stop her.

And no, and unfortunately he was not charged with a homicide or anything else for that matter. My comment pertained to had she been pregnant, he should, would or could have been charged with "the baby's" murder.
AND we don't know if BD (biker dude) had drugs in his system. He was released before he could be tested.
She was the aggressor in the beginning. Pulling in front of another vehicle traveling faster than you are makes you at fault in the event of an accident.

Helmets are optional in FL, I would never ride a motorcycle without one personally. However, it is irrational to assume someone wearing safety gear is intimidating. I don't get this argument at all. We don't know what Sara was thinking.

The law is clear here. When you are in a traffic accident you are to pull over and exchange information. Since she refused to pull over, I think it is reasonable for Derr to consider several things. One, he could not possibly know the extent of the damage to his vehicle that she caused in the accident. Two, she's fleeing for a reason, which could be anything: because she's uninsured, her license is suspended or revoked, the car is stolen, there is a warrant for her arrest, etc. Three, it would be reasonable and legal to follow her in an attempt to exchange information. Four, once she is stopped then he could call the authorities to notify them of the hit and run (a crime). I don't see how any of these things are unsafe or illogical. You're simply ignoring state law and giving her a free pass.

If she was scared, it would have been simple for her to call 911 from her cell phone or to go to the sheriff's substation just down the street from her house. She didn't do that. She went home to where she had a gun.

Regarding the mother, in Orange City, motorcycles are a regular thing. It's very close to Daytona, where Bike Week, Biketoberfest and other biker activities are attractions. Her mom probably hears bikers frequently. This is irrelevant, IMO.

Derr was cleared in two separate investigations. He had all of the facts and the evidence on his side.

There was only one lawbreaker in this case and that person broke multiple laws. She paid for that with her life unfortunately. I don't get all the people here giving her the free pass when she was the one who was in the wrong from the beginning.

For the record, and this is my opinion only, I think she was high (corroborated by the AR I posted) and so she didn't want to pull over initially for that reason. She knew once the police showed up she was going to have major problems. So she fled. While she was fleeing the scene of the accident she developed paranoia which made her feel like she was in danger. She drove home and ran into the house to get a gun. We know she ran out to the edge of the street with the gun in her hand to confront the bikers and she was shot and died there. She was not walking out to the street after the shots due to the nature of the injuries she received. Again, she was the aggressor. She made many terrible mistakes and broke numerous laws, (DUI, leaving the scene of an accident, brandishing a firearm) she's not an innocent victim.

As for Derr, he now has civil and criminal immunity for this justifiable use of force because that is exactly what Florida law gives him. Florida law does not require him to be tested for drugs or alcohol after a use of justifiable force so that is again irrelevant.

I hate to do this to you Steeletowngirl, but if you go back in the thread, you'll find all you need. Or Google Sara Morales.
Thanks. Yes, I was in here earlier in the thread, came in around page 13. I’m specifically looking for the police / any related accident report about the reported collision with the bike, which I have read was on Volusia Rd but have also read it was near the intersection of 17-92 and Orange Camp Rd. I would like to read about the damage to the car and to the bike saddlebag, and would also like to look at the lanes and stoplights.

Thanks. Yes, I was in here earlier in the thread, came in around page 13. I’m specifically looking for the police / any related accident report about the reported collision with the bike, which I have read was on Volusia Rd but have also read it was near the intersection of 17-92 and Orange Camp Rd. I would like to read about the damage to the car and to the bike saddlebag, and would also like to look at the lanes and stoplights.
17-92, International Speedway Blvd, Woodland Blvd and Volusia Avenue are all the same road, IIRC. Just depends on what section you're on and the name changes. The intersection of 17-92 and Orange Camp Rd to her home on Wisconsin Ave is only about 2.7 miles. This occurred in a pretty compact distance.

Would the law have been on her side if she had just opened fire claiming the same fear that they were going to kill her as the shooter in this case claimed? And they would have found those weapons on the people who were shot down.
there were no weapons on the other people. the motorcycle guy was the only one armed. when he said those other people had guns on the video, he was referring to Sara and her mom and the neighbors that ran over when it happened.

lmfaoooo there was only 1 motorcycle. the 2 other witnesses were in their own vehicles. a truck and a moped. the report made that clear. second of all, one of the witnesses claimed that a man on a motorcycle flew past him at a high rate of speed. but that was never confirmed in the police report. it says nothing about the man speeding in the police report. i suggest you take a look at the oxygen report witch has interview with the oc police in the article.

I have never read what you are referencing. Would you provide a link to both of your replies.

this oxygen story has most of the details. if you read down to about the middle it says that the police found evidence on her car that she hit the bike and a scuff on the saddlebag. there are a couple of articles that tell it differently. one of them I believe it was from the Orange City police said that they found a dent on the front of her vehicle that they matched up to the scuff

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Was SM in the left lane or right lane when the collision happened? Which lane was AD in? Above it says the dent was on the front right side, but the Oxygen report notes “Sampsell said they had search warrants to examine the Kia and motorcycle, finding evidence that Morales sideswiped Derr’s motorcycle with the driver’s side of her car, prompting witnesses to try and stop Morales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was SM in the left lane or right lane when the collision happened? Which lane was AD in? Above it says the dent was on the front right side, but the Oxygen report notes “Sampsell said they had search warrants to examine the Kia and motorcycle, finding evidence that Morales sideswiped Derr’s motorcycle with the driver’s side of her car, prompting witnesses to try and stop Morales.
I remember hearing that it started on McGregor which is basically Orange camp. if you're on 1792 and you turn right it's orange camp and if you turn left it's McGregor. Sm was sitting at the red light at Mcgregor getting ready to turn right onto 1792. AD pulled up behind her at the stoplight. light turns green SM and AD both make a right turn into the right lane. there were three lanes right there which turn into two lanes very shortly. after making the turn ad went for the far left lane. SM was pissed about it for some reason and try to run him off the road. she barely missed him and then he got over to the right lane and that's when she pulled up and hit him.

I remember hearing that it started on McGregor which is basically Orange camp. if you're on 1792 and you turn right it's orange camp and if you turn left it's McGregor. Sm was sitting at the red light at Mcgregor getting ready to turn right onto 1792. AD pulled up behind her at the stoplight. light turns green SM and AD both make a right turn into the right lane. there were three lanes right there which turn into two lanes very shortly. after making the turn ad went for the far left lane. SM was pissed about it for some reason and try to run him off the road. she barely missed him and then he got over to the right lane and that's when she pulled up and hit him.
This sounds more like classic road rage than the weed-induced paranoia I was thinking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back