IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

From tonight's Memorial Service
"This evening we’ll cry for this devastating loss but we’ll also smile and laugh," said Rob Green, Cedar Falls' mayor and a friend of the couple.

Green and other friends shared their own thoughts and read reflections from dozens of others to a crowd of close to 200 people gathered in the warm August air on the lawn of Overman Park.

“Tyler and Sarah were the kindest gentlest most thoughtful human beings and they both had a sense of humor that caught you by surprise," Monica Iliff read from a written reflection by another friend.

Arlo is now staying with his grandparents.

One of Arlo’s uncles, Ryan Jackson, is a missile facility manager, at F.E. Warren Air Force Base. He has joined the rest of the family in Iowa.

“It was my wife’s sister and her husband and our niece, who was killed. And then our nephew, Arlo, is the one that survived,” Jackson said.

.... I’m pretty sure that I’m the favorite uncle because he keeps asking for me by name, so I had to be here. I had to be here to support him,” said Jackson.

Arlo is now staying with his grandparents.

One of Arlo’s uncles, Ryan Jackson, is a missile facility manager, at F.E. Warren Air Force Base. He has joined the rest of the family in Iowa.

“It was my wife’s sister and her husband and our niece, who was killed. And then our nephew, Arlo, is the one that survived,” Jackson

.... I’m pretty sure that I’m the favorite uncle because he keeps asking for me by name, so I had to be here. I had to be here to support him,” said Jackson.

BBM

Maybe this isn’t allowed but… That’s a weird *** thing to say or even joke about at a time like this.

MOO

Do we know the dimensions of the victims' tent? Our 4-person tents were always dome-shaped and about 4 feet high, (5 at most). It doesn't seem likely that a shooter could get any sort of aim inside a small dome tent. Doesn't it make more sense that the shooter was outside the tent. And standing as he fired into the tent? That scenario could also explain how the little boy was unharmed. Just random luck that he wasn't hit.
With 4 people, I doubt it was a 4-person tent. Those are more like 2 people and a dog.
A lotta folks have Mcmansion tents: extra rooms, nooks, porches, different roof heights.....

The DCI said Tyler, age 42 died from a gunshot wound and multiple sharp force injuries. Sarah, age 42, died from multiple sharp force injuries. Lula, age 6, died from a gunshot wound and strangulation.

The DCI said Tyler, age 42 died from a gunshot wound and multiple sharp force injuries. Sarah, age 42, died from multiple sharp force injuries. Lula, age 6, died from a gunshot wound and strangulation.

So we can safely put the "shooting randomly at the tent" hypothesis in the rubbish bin. It was not an accident, not an act of stupidity, but an outburst of violent rage. But why did he direct that rage at the Schmidt family?

Last edited:

I was not expecting that. May God bless their souls.

Wow! I too was not expecting to hear more than gun shot wounds. What prompted this violence?!

The poor son that experienced this! How this must have created incredible nightmares for him. This will be a lifelong memory for him. I cannot even imagine!

My God. What a vicious murderer. Mama's little boy grew up to be an unrepentant killer who annihilated a beautiful family.

We need ANSWERS for this atrocity. Profilers can tell us a lot. If they will.

I'm so sorry fate put you in proximity to this monster, Schmidt family.

Sickened by this news :(

I wasn’t either. He clearly entered the tent. This wouldn’t have been nearly as quick as a gun murder, so was there not time to scream out by any of them? I’m very interested to know if the boy was in the tent at the time of the attack.
Didn't the lady camping with her partner and his sons say that she heard a scream?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back