CA CA - Westlake Village, HispFem 18-30, UP11249, pregnant, in parking lot, Jul'80

Does it happen to be Laura Maria Hernandez? She does look a lot like Lyra Jade, but she's been ruled out by DNA Doe and CODIS.
laura_maria_hernandez_1.jpg
Pic from Charley Project.

I do not feel she was ever reported for whatever reason it may be.

I'd like to hear some of your scenarios or theories! :)
Nope. The post Mortem pictures show a VERY YOUNG girl. I am pretty good at seeing age, i have a few kids.... I have been reading these prior pages.... And from what i read so far, it is reminding me of a case i just researched.... Still reading... : /

Heartbreaking that the baby’s father didn’t remember her. :(

Nope. The post Mortem pictures show a VERY YOUNG girl. I am pretty good at seeing age, i have a few kids.... I have been reading these prior pages.... And from what i read so far, it is reminding me of a case i just researched.... Still reading... : /
Okay i have been reading these pages and even watching the videos and i am still four pages away... I will get back to you tomorrow regarding my scenario, at which i am even more sure.... I do have a question though... In 1979, how old was the baby's father? Knowing may really top things off...

I cannot get the link to work.

We know that our girl in Mexican. We know where her family is from in Mexico.
She has had DNA done which shows her to be from Mexico
She also gave birth previously
I can't get the link to work either, not sure why. I have been having issues with NamUs lately.

I definitely don't think she was 13. I feel she was 23 - 26. I teach in a K-8 building, the oldest kids are 13/14. She looks far older than them to me.

This is probably me being me, but when I ran a California state inmate search on Wilson Chouest, it showed him as being located at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, which confused me. When I clicked on the test saying "California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility", it brought me to a page that listed itself as "California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran (SATF-CSP, Corcoran)" with an address of 900 Quebec Ave. However, Google shows Corcoran State Prison has an address of 4001 King Ave. Can someone in the know clear this up for me? Where is he located?
It has been awhile since I have been out there but I believe it’s on Corcoran State Prison campus. Quebec ave runs along the backside of the prison while King ave goes through it. I am guessing that the substance abuse part faces Quebec ave so that is why it has that street in its address. As to which area Chouest is currently housed in, I have no idea.

Does it happen to be Laura Maria Hernandez? She does look a lot like Lyra Jade, but she's been ruled out by DNA Doe and CODIS.
laura_maria_hernandez_1.jpg
Pic from Charley Project.

I do not feel she was ever reported for whatever reason it may be.

I'd like to hear some of your scenarios or theories! :)

I mentioned it upthread quite a while ago that Laura Hernandez (maiden name Tijerino) has been ruled out.

We compared her sister in GEDMatch against the Jane Doe, and it came back negative.

Last edited:
I mentioned it upthread quite a while ago that Laura Hernandez (maiden name Tijerino) has been ruled out.

We compared her sister in GEDMatch against the Jane Doe, and it came back negative.
Yes, I found that post to refer back to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get the link to work either, not sure why. I have been having issues with NamUs lately.

I definitely don't think she was 13. I feel she was 23 - 26. I teach in a K-8 building, the oldest kids are 13/14. She looks far older than them to me.
Her sketch definitely looks older.... But her post mortem shows a younger girl..

Her sketch definitely looks older.... But her post mortem shows a younger girl..
  • She likely had a child before, as an episiotomy scar was present.

She had shaved her natural eyebrows and had penciled brown lines in their place. (This is chola style--cholas are Chicanas who hang around with low riders and car clubs)

• In her original post-mortem at Westlake High School you can see how her brows were shaved and how she had drawn an extra set 1/4 inch above her shaven brows. The post-mortem that is seen most frequently is an embalmed post-mortem

These are the shoes she was wearing
      VC-JD-10.jpg

Last edited:
  • She likely had a child before, as an episiotomy scar was present.
There are kids who get pregnant VERY early in life... Depends on their "family" life... I have seen a 10 year old pregnant. And there was an old story about a 5 year old becoming pregnant..... I know a Hispanic 12 year old who was pregnant by a family member... Just saying it happens more often than people think.

From both the reconstructions and from the crime scene photo (I'm not taking the morgue photo too much into consideration, since embalming had been done by that point and that had warped her features), I feel she was obviously young, but not a teen, definitely over 20. This is JMO. She looks so different in the two post-mortem photos IMO. She does look younger in the morgue photos than in the crime scene photos in my opinion, which I chalk up to embalming.

I wonder if it possible for Doe Network to update her page since it is no longer believed that she was living in Kern County and it is believed that she lived in LA.

Was she cremated like the other LA County Does?

From both the reconstructions and from the crime scene photo (I'm not taking the morgue photo too much into consideration, since embalming had been done by that point and that had warped her features), I feel she was obviously young, but not a teen, definitely over 20. This is JMO. She looks so different in the two post-mortem photos IMO. She does look younger in the morgue photos than in the crime scene photos in my opinion, which I chalk up to embalming.

I wonder if it possible for Doe Network to update her page since it is no longer believed that she was living in Kern County and it is believed that she lived in LA.

Do you mean Tulare County? I know Chouest changed his story about picking her up in Visalia to picking her up near Tiny Naylor’s (which honestly, I still wonder about the validity of that but anyway…). I had not heard any anything about her being from Kern County though.
I completely agree with you though in the age range. I feel like she was certainly in her early to mid twenties looking at the photos.

Do you mean Tulare County? I know Chouest changed his story about picking her up in Visalia to picking her up near Tiny Naylor’s (which honestly, I still wonder about the validity of that but anyway…). I had not heard any anything about her being from Kern County though.
I completely agree with you though in the age range. I feel like she was certainly in her early to mid twenties looking at the photos.
I was just going off what Doe Network said that she may have been from Kern County. I was also confused about that with the Visalia connection too, but it says "Investigators believe she may be from Kern County or the San Fernando Valley". I'm not sure if I missed it or what! Maybe they thought it was possible because of the Shirley Soosay connection?

As a side note I find it very alarming how close together they were killed...

I'd bet she's 22/23-26 y/o. IMO.

I have a coroner's photo of her before she was embalmed, and yes, the embalming severely distorted her features. - which is why I decided to completely redo the reconstruction.

And no, she wasn't cremated as she would have been if she died in LA County. She is buried in Conejo Mountain Cemetery in Camarilllo - Catalina Lawn Section - Plot 10 - Grave K.

I have a coroner's photo of her before she was embalmed, and yes, the embalming severely distorted her features. - which is why I decided to completely redo the reconstruction.

And no, she wasn't cremated as she would have been if she died in LA County. She is buried in Conejo Mountain Cemetery in Camarilllo - Catalina Lawn Section - Plot 10 - Grave K.
Is it the circulated crime scene photo or a separate one?

Thanks for the info. I totally forgot that she's under Ventura County's jurisdiction. Oops! Appreciate the info about the cemetery. I'm glad to hear she wasn't cremated and put into a potter's field.

I was just going off what Doe Network said that she may have been from Kern County. I was also confused about that with the Visalia connection too, but it says "Investigators believe she may be from Kern County or the San Fernando Valley". I'm not sure if I missed it or what! Maybe they thought it was possible because of the Shirley Soosay connection?

As a side note I find it very alarming how close together they were killed...

I'd bet she's 22/23-26 y/o. IMO.
Very interesting! Thank you. I missed that. Maybe it was something Chouest said earlier or like you said the connection with Shirley Sousay. She wasn’t from Kern County either, but she was dumped there. The closeness of the killings is pretty alarming. It makes me think there are more victims out there that he’s responsible for that have not been discovered yet.

Very interesting! Thank you. I missed that. Maybe it was something Chouest said earlier or like you said the connection with Shirley Sousay. She wasn’t from Kern County either, but she was dumped there. The closeness of the killings is pretty alarming. It makes me think there are more victims out there that he’s responsible for that have not been discovered yet.
Chouest was so full of crap that I don't even know what to believe...but I do think the Tiny Naylor's lead is a good one. It makes sense with all the other information we have. Maybe he initially told investigators that she said she was from Kern County, and then retracted it. Ugh, he is one that infuriates me beyond measure...

I find it so weird that he was more forthcoming about Shirley's murder than Lyra Jade's. This makes me feel the circumstances of the murders were pretty different. They were both raped and stabbed by him, but AFAIK, Shirley was not also strangled. We all know the tragic story of what happened to Shirley. I wonder if the true story is a mix of his previous one and the current one with some other elements. Like, he did pick her up hitchhiking, but she was hitchhiking somewhere from Tiny Naylor's rather than from Visalia. Maybe the Kern County thing came from her mentioning a friend or relative in Kern County and he turned it into her being from there. It is hard to tell with him because, from what I gather from my research, he tells lies with some aspects of truth to them, and changes his story a lot. It is hard to know what to take at face value and what to discount as lies.

I also have to wonder if it was a scenario where he feels people would frown more upon the circumstances behind Lyra Jade's murder than Shirley's. This may just be because she was younger and pregnant, though. (Please note, I do NOT agree with this sentiment at all - I just think he may be thinking that.)

It's really disturbing that he killed them 3-4 days apart, and between the killings, had his girlfriend/housemate's sons clean out his car filled with Shirley's blood...and then went on to kill Lyra Jade probably 2 days after that!

Chouest was so full of crap that I don't even know what to believe...but I do think the Tiny Naylor's lead is a good one. It makes sense with all the other information we have. Maybe he initially told investigators that she said she was from Kern County, and then retracted it. Ugh, he is one that infuriates me beyond measure...

I find it so weird that he was more forthcoming about Shirley's murder than Lyra Jade's. This makes me feel the circumstances of the murders were pretty different. They were both raped and stabbed by him, but AFAIK, Shirley was not also strangled. We all know the tragic story of what happened to Shirley. I wonder if the true story is a mix of his previous one and the current one with some other elements. Like, he did pick her up hitchhiking, but she was hitchhiking somewhere from Tiny Naylor's rather than from Visalia. Maybe the Kern County thing came from her mentioning a friend or relative in Kern County and he turned it into her being from there. It is hard to tell with him because, from what I gather from my research, he tells lies with some aspects of truth to them, and changes his story a lot. It is hard to know what to take at face value and what to discount as lies.

I also have to wonder if it was a scenario where he feels people would frown more upon the circumstances behind Lyra Jade's murder than Shirley's. This may just be because she was younger and pregnant, though. (Please note, I do NOT agree with this sentiment at all - I just think he may be thinking that.)

It's really disturbing that he killed them 3-4 days apart, and between the killings, had his girlfriend/housemate's sons clean out his car filled with Shirley's blood...and then went on to kill Lyra Jade probably 2 days after that!
Totally agree! Being that the baby’s father was from an area fairly close to Tiny Naylor’s there maybe some element of truth to that. You also brought up a good point about him being more forthcoming about Shirley than Lyra Jade. On that note, it doesn’t sound like the baby’s father was very forthcoming about her either. I guess it really could be that he had a lot of hook ups he doesn’t remember. I’m wondering if maybe she was brought here illegally and was a victim of human trafficking or was prostituting herself. I honestly hope not, I would like to think she had a good life up until Chouest.

Totally agree! Being that the baby’s father was from an area fairly close to Tiny Naylor’s there maybe some element of truth to that. You also brought up a good point about him being more forthcoming about Shirley than Lyra Jade. On that note, it doesn’t sound like the baby’s father was very forthcoming about her either. I guess it really could be that he had a lot of hook ups he doesn’t remember. I’m wondering if maybe she was brought here illegally and was a victim of human trafficking or was prostituting herself. I honestly hope not, I would like to think she had a good life up until Chouest.
She may have been a prostitute... BUT i think he may be intentionally "forgetting" because she was likely well underage! and i am thinking he KNEW she was very very young... He could get in trouble for even statutory rape. And even being 5 months she may have not even known. <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back