Found Safe NJ - unidentified woman, 20s, bloodied & screaming for help in semi cab, South Brunswick, August 3, 2022

A NJ woman was kidnapped several years ago; a bystander called 911 and the dispatcher dismissed it as “sounds like a domestic going-on” and didn’t send help. She was found murdered a day later. It was a case very close to my heart and I’m so glad the bystander here called it in and this is being taken seriously.

I asked my Father what he thought and he is pretty sure this is a Volvo 770. I believe that it is company information (DOT number, MC Carrier information, etc.) under the windows of the sleeper.
Is your father a trucker or a diesel mechanic? In either case, can he tell the general year based on the cab appearance?

And.....

The truck is not pulling a trailer which means it is not hauling cargo. In my general understanding, companies and owner / operators hate that situation ("dead head") as the truck is essentially moving with out making money.

It is probaby bad enough for the a truck to haul and empty trailer. But, not having a trailer at all seems strange as it would need to be later matched with a trailer and a cargo. This is probably less efficient.

If your father works in the industry, please ask him what a trailer less truck could indicate. Could it mean that the truck is being moved to be sold? Or, perhaps a very local delivery with an immediate return to its "home" for a trailer?

I wish I knew more about trucking and the possible significance of a truck sans trailer.

Last edited:
Very concerning. That truck looks pretty distinctive. This info needs to be distributed to the trucking community. We have some members here with connections to that community, but I don’t remember who they are.

Local NJ social media: The Victim - White / Hispanic female, in her 20s, long brown hair, brown flannel shirt. The suspect is described as a White male, older, bald, white beard, blue shirt.
Oh dear. That's a truck it looks like he could live in while on the road.

I shudder to think of the many times I walked around those big trucks alone in my young years and never had a clue about the goings ons.

Is your father a trucker or a diesel mechanic?

In either case, can he tell the general year based on the cab appearance?

He is a trucker and he couldn't tell a general year, they look pretty similar from year to year. He ventured to guess 2010 or newer, but that's only vague guess and not all that helpful. MOO.

Oh dear. That's a truck it looks like he could live in while on the road.

My dad drives OTR and is out for months at a time. He sleeps in the sleeper of his semi 99% of the time.

He is a trucker and he couldn't tell a general year, they look pretty similar from year to year. He ventured to guess 2010 or newer, but that's only vague guess and not all that helpful. MOO.
Thanks for the good information.

If possible, please ask him about any possible significances of a truck moving with out a trailer. I am very curious to know anything in that regard.

Moo..volvo is a very high end truck... probably personally owned....ya that is how i got into conversation with truck driver
That is an interesting observation.

I wonder if a privately owned truck is also more likely to be with out a trailer?

In other words, do owner operators usually own the trailer as well? Or, are they more likely to just own the truck? They then pick up and deliver the trailer / cargo. After that delivery, drive to pick up another trailer / cargo etc etc.

If so, it could indicate that the trucker is in between loads.

If possible, please ask him about any possible significances of a truck moving with out a trailer. I am very curious to know anything in that regard.

There are so many reasons a truck is moving without a trailer. It is not uncommon at all.
- Just dropped a trailer and headed back to yard
- Headed home from yard or vice versa
- Headed from yard/home to location to pick up load
- Headed to a shop/truck wash to get truck serviced

A privately owned truck is not more likely to be without a trailer than a driver on the company's payroll. It really depends more on the type of cargo being hauled and the company itself. If they deliver to warehouses, it may be more likely that they drop a trailer at the bay and then go pick up the next load rather than waiting for the truck to be unloaded. Other times, they could be using a flat bed and hauling equipment, in this case, they may be more likely to stay with the trailer until the equipment is unloaded.

All above MOO.

There are so many reasons a truck is moving without a trailer. It is not uncommon at all.
- Just dropped a trailer and headed back to yard
- Headed home from yard or vice versa
- Headed from yard/home to location to pick up load
- Headed to a shop/truck wash to get truck serviced
Thanks again for the good information. And one more question for your very patient father.....

What does he think of @nao hunch that Volvos are higher end and more likely to be owner / operated?

Thanks again for the good information. And one more question for your very patient father.....

What does he think of @nao hunch that Volvos are higher end and more likely to be owner / operated?
He actually thinks Volvos are more of a fleet truck. He thinks that owner operators are going to look at Peterbilts and Kenworths because they have a higher resale value. As always, MOO.

My husband drives truck, so I asked him why he would be without a trailer -- there are times he will drop a tanker at one location and go to a different location to pick up a tanker to bring back (but it's usually a reasonable distance when this happens), otherwise the only time he drives around without one is if he is transporting the tractor for maintenance to/from the employer's various buildings. He did say that if one of the drivers breaks down with a load, his employer will send someone out with another tractor to pick up the load and continue on to deliver, but I think with hazmat stuff they have to do that as they can't leave it sitting somewhere unattended.

I imagine there might be further valid reasons based on they type of cargo being transported, but those are the ones that popped into his head first.

Police in New Jersey believe they have identified the driver of a tractor trailer involved in a possible abduction that was caught on camera, and have reportedly obtained additional surveillance video.
Police said the suspect they are looking for was driving the tractor cab and was described as a bald older white male with a white beard and a blue shirt.

They are currently looking for the cab and the driver in two neighboring towns.

He actually thinks Volvos are more of a fleet truck. He thinks that owner operators are going to look at Peterbilts and Kenworths because they have a higher resale value. As always, MOO.
Completely agree with your father. Prior to May of this year, I was a Machinery & Equipment Appraiser (including tractors & Trailers) for 13 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back