GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

Questions for anyone that can answer
Curious if anyone can explain why the defense apparently does not want to test the victims clothing for touch dna given tech advances. Given their theory of a different killer wouldnt this be step 1?
Second why not do the same for the upholstery/seat samples preserved from the car?

Curious if anyone can explain why the defense apparently does not want to test the victims clothing for touch dna given tech advances. Given their theory of a different killer wouldnt this be step 1?
Second why not do the same for the upholstery/seat samples preserved from the car?
Perhaps, he doesn't want the jury to know the answer to who the touch DNA (if it exists) came from? The DNA in the semen is damning enough for his client. Maybe more DNA evidence, should it be from McCraney, would be like icing on the cake for the prosecution? Then again, he could be setting McCraney up for an avenue of escape by claiming "ineffective defense counsel". Attorneys do this from time to time when they feel they have no hope of acquittal. MOO

This is actually a good question. I would expand on this idea by asking why the State and/or law enforcement hasn’t not done this very thing If possible.

Last edited:
This is actually a good question. I would expand on this idea by asking why the State and/or law enforcement hasn’t not done this very thing If possible.

Maybe it is a small amount & if they do the test, defense won't have any to test. Just off the top of my head of why the LE hasn't done it yet.

Thursday, August 4th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial set to begin on 8/15/22. Jury selection begins on 8/8/22.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 7/19/22 reference post #575 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-29

7/26/22: Subpoenas served: Mike Roberts, Wade Williams, Jeffrey Scarbraugh, Cecil Condrey, Marilyn Lee, Mariel Clark, Mary Campbell, Carol Roberts, Dr. Gregory Wagmer, Chief Marlos Walker, Larry Minton, Joe Sexton. Witness subpoenas served: Stephen Crumb, Eddie Henderson, Keith Cauthen, Rex Tipton, Larry Minton, Stephen Crumb, Butch Whittington. Subpoenas served by Sheriff: David Collier, Daniel Collier, Herman Jackson, Alice Jackson, Hannah Adams, PA, Chris Harper, Tracy Gilland Shillabeer. Subpoenas served: Dr. Tamara Marsh. Subpoenas served by Sheriff: Olivia Stacy, Boyd Fuller, Debbie Fuller Clark, Jerry Gissendanner & Lorine Gissendanner.
7/28/22 Update: Defense attorneys demanded to know the person who authorized the destruction of the Mazda 929 in which the bodies were found. Attorney David Harrison said if the car had been retained as evidence, it could reveal the “real killer.” Prosecutors & defense attorneys also sparred over other evidence that could be presented during the potential several week’s long trial. The defense suppression motion to exclude McCraney’s police statement denying he knew the girls/victims was denied. Jury selection is to begin on August 8, with the trial commencing the following week. Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore is mulling allowing more than the normal two alternates due to COVID concerns. Next final pretrial hearing on 8/4/22 to finalize last details.
7/29/22 Update: The defense counsel filed a motion late yesterday. Motion to offer evidence that crime was committed by another. To be admitted that person(s) other the defendant committed the murders. It was followed by a Judicial order for this motion to be heard on the pre-scheduled hearing 8/4/22. 8/1/22: Subpoenas issued to Michael Bryan & Cheryl Burgoon.

I shall go ahead & post this - since it was on the court site. This is after today's hearing. This is start of Jury selection.

Setting Date: Monday August 8, 2022

Judge: William H. FIlmore

Case Number TimeName
26-CC-2019-000187.00 9:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.00 9:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.00 9:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.00 9:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.00 9:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: Alacourt ACCESS V2.0

Good morning. Alacourt is showing a number of new subpoena requests.

KRISTEN ROCCO

Also I see a name change request for the subpoena for: JAY ERIC COLHER TO JAY ERIC COLLIE.

As a curious note, I have seen a number of subpoena name change requests during the term of this case. Errors do happen, but I have seen a lot of them in this case. More than average

Here is the WDHN news report from the hearing today. It’s unimpressive. Spotty reporting. I will check my notes and try to enhance and clarify.

Last edited:
Here is the WDHN news report from the hearing today. It’s unimpressive. Spotty reporting. I will check my notes and try to enhance and clarify.

I see the article has the wrong date - they say Monday, 8/9 - but of course it is 8/8/22.

Awaiting your notes! :)

I’ll recap for those following this some of what happened yesterday afternoon in court in Dale county that bordered on crazy. High points are Rene Crumb, who David Harrison planned as his star witness for the defense recanted her previous statements and admitted she lied about a “ confession “ made a former OPD officer. Described how she was on medication and ptsd. At one point she accused the defense attorney of causing her mother to die and something about him and drugs. Then a bodycam video of a OPD officer was presented from just after McCraney’s arrest where Crumb was agreeing to perjure herself, lie in court if they would leave her family alone. Stating her own family’s well being was more important than McCraney’s life. The judge will decide whether this will be admitted.
Her brother had some odd stuff to say not good about her.
Then in a bizarre twist Harrison produced a former OPD officer who worked narcotics that described a plane possibily delivering drugs he witnessed several times and named the officer being accused as one who was with others meeting the plane.
I could have missed it but I did not hear how this was directly tied to the murders or how the assumption was made about drugs but the officer also described he witnessed the accused officer around young underage girls but not the victims.
A third witness produced by Harrison delivered the Dothan eagle newspaper described seeing the victim’s car on multiple occasions and an unmarked police car beside it with the victim’s door open and at another point a Ozark Police cruiser both after midnight. He had detailed description of make model of the unmarked car that had a light bar in rear window.
Despite this I cannot see how the police dept is on trial especially due to this being strictly a dna issue where a defendant’s semen is directly tied to one victim in whats likely the last hour of their life.
My impression is, if I has a juror, would be if your going to defend your client by saying an officer did it then I want to see where or what is the specific evidence ? By the hearing this doesnt exist with the collapse of his star “confession “ witness.
There was also a accusation made by Harrison that the accused officer was intimidating a witness. In a exchange between the officer and Harrison it additionally appeared Harrison misunderstood the time records to think he was on duty that night when he was actually not. Not sure how a lawyer could make that mistake two years in on the case.
Im sure there was more I missed but it was a very informative pretrial hearing and it looks like the defense is putting the department on trial not explaining how McCraney’s dna came to be on a young victim he did not know. Maybe he will take the stand.

Last edited:
I’ll recap for those following this some of what happened yesterday afternoon in court in Dale county that bordered on crazy. High points are Rene Crumb, who David Harrison planned as his star witness for the defense recanted her previous statements and admitted she lied about a “ confession “ made a former OPD officer. Described how she was on medication and ptsd. At one point she accused the defense attorney of causing her mother to die and something about him and drugs. Then a bodycam video of a OPD officer was presented from just after McCraney’s arrest where Crumb was agreeing to perjure herself, lie in court if they would leave her family alone. Stating her own family’s well being was more important than McCraney’s life. The judge will decide whether this will be admitted.
Her brother had some odd stuff to say not good about her.
Then in a bizarre twist Harrison produced a former OPD officer who worked narcotics that described a plane possibily delivering drugs he witnessed several times and named the officer being accused as one who was with others meeting the plane.
I could have missed it but I did not hear how this was directly tied to the murders or how the assumption was made about drugs but the officer also described he witnessed the accused officer around young underage girls but not the victims.
A third witness produced by Harrison delivered the Dothan eagle newspaper described seeing the victim’s car on multiple occasions and an unmarked police car beside it with the victim’s door open and at another point a Ozark Police cruiser both after midnight. He had detailed description of make model of the unmarked car that had a light bar in rear window.
Despite this I cannot see how the police dept is on trial especially due to this being strictly a dna issue where a defendant’s semen is directly tied to one victim in whats likely the last hour of their life.
My impression is, if I has a juror, would be if your going to defend your client by saying an officer did it then I want to see where or what is the specific evidence ? By the hearing this doesnt exist with the collapse of his star “confession “ witness.
There was also a accusation made by Harrison that the accused officer was intimidating a witness. In a exchange between the officer and Harrison it additionally appeared Harrison misunderstood the time records to think he was on duty that night when he was actually not. Not sure how a lawyer could make that mistake two years in on the case.
Im sure there was more I missed but it was a very informative pretrial hearing and it looks like the defense is putting the department on trial not explaining how McCraney’s dna came to be on a young victim he did not know. Maybe he will take the stand.
I agree. Judge Filmore will pull will most certainly pull the reigns in on most of thsee. diversionary tactics. If not it will be the mucked up trial we suspected it might be.
I suspect tight rulings will be handed down soon.

Circus tents do blow down.

In response to the Judge’s ruling Friday Mcraney’s defense team have filed a motion for clarification. The motion has not shown up on Alacourt as of yet but the basics of of the request is that the Defense is asking the Judge to “clarify” his ruling and make it more specific as to admissibility of each piece of evidence permitted or not.

This is of course an expected defense response. However, I understood his ruling clearly. Basically the defense is directed to put up an affirmative or negating defense exclusively. In the most simple wording they must present evidence that that tends to exonerate the defendant, not testimony that attempts to merely implicate a known or unknown actor or actors in the commission of the crime. Especially by disallowed hearsay.
It is just that simple.

It is my thought that this will be a much shorter trial than the defense and some other speculative parties might have opted for.

Justice On Friends! Nobody can keep the truth from you if you refuse to let them.

In response to the Judge’s ruling Friday Mcraney’s defense team have filed a motion for clarification. The motion has not shown up on Alacourt as of yet but the basics of of the request is that the Defense is asking the Judge to “clarify” his ruling and make it more specific as to admissibility of each piece of evidence permitted or not.

This is of course an expected defense response. However, I understood his ruling clearly. Basically the defense is directed to put up an affirmative or negating defense exclusively. In the most simple wording they must present evidence that that tends to exonerate the defendant, not testimony that attempts to merely implicate a known or unknown actor or actors in the commission of the crime. Especially by disallowed hearsay.
It is just that simple.

It is my thought that this will be a much shorter trial than the defense and some other speculative parties might have opted for.

Justice On Friends! Nobody can keep the truth from you if you refuse to let them.
I’m happy about the ruling. It seemed like the defense was preparing to throw a bunch of rumors out there and see what sticks.

Monday, August 8th:
*Jury Selection begins (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial set to begin on 8/15/22. Jury selection begins on 8/8/22.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 7/28/22 reference post #589 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-30

7/29/22 Update: The defense counsel filed a motion late yesterday. Motion to offer evidence that crime was committed by another. To be admitted that person(s) other the defendant committed the murders. It was followed by a Judicial order for this motion to be heard on the pre-scheduled hearing 8/4/22. 8/1/22: Subpoenas issued to Michael Bryan & Cheryl Burgoon. 8/3/22: Subpoena request for Kristen Rocco. Name change request for subpoena on Jay Eric Cohler to Jay Eric Collie.
8/4/22 Update: On Thursday, McCraney’s attorneys brought forth four witnesses who they feel could help sway a potential Jury. One was McCraney’s wife who said Coley wasn’t at the crime scene. Then a former Ozark Newspaper delivery boy took the stand & said he saw an Ozark police officer at the scene of the crime. Former Houston County deputy charged with DUI. Next was a lady who said she overheard Ozark police officers admit to the murder of Beasley & Hawlett. But the state witnesses were the ladies’ brothers who say she is a compulsive liar & she is grieving over the loss of two family members. Finally, the defense brought a former officer who said that the officer at large was with younger women & that he was told to keep quiet about the case. For more info on the hearing see post #594 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-30

8/5/22 Update: Order: Judge William Filmore said that the evidence that others than McCraney killed two Dothan teens will not be allowed during his upcoming murder trial. His attorneys hoped to implicate a now retired police officer who had been rumored as the killer, but a woman whose claims spearheaded those rumors were recanted on Thursday. Rena Crumb testified during a pretrial hearing that she lied about officer involvement & police cover-up. "The Defendant can only introduce evidence of another’s guilt at trial that is legal evidence. The Defendant cannot prove guilt of another by hearsay statements, especially statements that when under oath are recanted,” Judge William Filmore wrote in his order. He also nixed potential testimony from others who claimed they may have seen police cars near the crime scene in Ozark & who also suggest officer involvement in the high school students’ death. “The evidence offered as relevant to another’s guilt must be inconsistent with the guilt of the accused. In the face of the DNA evidence against (McCraney), the Court does not find that the evidence presented by the defense would exonerate the Defendant,” Filmore wrote. Jury selection is set to take place on Monday, 8/8/22.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back