NC NC - Cherokee County, Taller Male, pre-50, found in woods with glasses, UP98181, digital camera with photos, Feb'22

Odd case. He seems so well to do upper middle class. Antique silverware, judging the pics, fancy foldeable glasses, vintage (ladies?) watch, a photo of a nice family in a big kitchen and artsy shots of buildings and this painting.
And then the homeless campsite, does not match all that at all...

Maybe someone who just fell on hard times and took old memories with him.
Or someone with mental illness who just decided to camp in the woods, like this "Chris" case (forgot his last name), i think from Maine. Well off, educated man from a prominent family who decided to roam the woods and ultimately died there.

Odd case. He seems so well to do upper middle class. Antique silverware, judging the pics, fancy foldeable glasses, vintage (ladies?) watch, a photo of a nice family in a big kitchen and artsy shots of buildings and this painting.

Or someone with mental illness who just decided to camp in the woods, like this "Chris" case (forgot his last name), i think from Maine. Well off, educated man from a prominent family who decided to roam the woods and ultimately died there.
O/T - Christopher Knight the North Pond Hermit?

O/T - Christopher Knight the North Pond Hermit?
I think he's still alive.
You were probably thinking of this guy:

Possible ID:
Christopher Peter Sexton
NamUs #MP54743

His Facebook posts stopped in 2016:

This potential ID was suggested here:

Definitely looks outdoorsy from his photos but I'm not seeing an art/photography connection. His vehicle was found about an hour away from the UID's remains.

I think the glasses are cheap readers and the watch definitely a modern man's watch. Looks like a Fossil brand.

I think the glasses are cheap readers and the watch definitely a modern man's watch. Looks like a Fossil brand.

Yeah, those are the cheap readers like Mr. Carbuff uses. He has like half a dozen pairs that he keeps stashed by his chair, in the car, in his jeans pocket, in his bike pack...

If he ever gets lost while hiking or biking, he will have at least one pair of those on him.

In fact, this guy is so much like a slightly younger version of Mr. Carbuff it hurts.

I think he's still alive.

You were probably thinking of this guy:

Yep this one, Chris Roof.

That would be so eerie if this man really was another Chris..

Direct lLlink to Feb. 21, 2022, post on sheriifs page:

Could this suggestion in a comment be valuable?

View attachment 350986

Even point-and-shoot cameras are costly these days, so there's probably a really good chance that the owner did register the purchase if only to benefit from the warranty. I certainly hope LE has made note of that info for their investigation.

This man is now on NamUs as #UP98181 with a possible name of Sammie Davis.

ME/C Case Number WFAM22-00412
Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity White/Caucasian
Possible First Name Sammie
Possible Middle Name --
Possible Last Name Davis
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range 40-60
Height 5' 6"-6' 3"(66-75 inches), Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate

Date Body Found February 13, 2022
NamUs Case Created December 13, 2022

Location Found Map

Location Murphy, North Carolina 28906
County Cherokee County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped) --
Found On Tribal Land No

Circumstances of Recovery Found at camp site by hikers.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Hair Color Unknown
Left Eye Color Missing Eye
Right Eye Color Missing Eye

There is one Samuel Davis in the right age range that was reported missing out of Alaska In October of 2021. Not likely and the name seems common but throwing it out there.

1671479678060.jpeg

Samuel was last seen on 10/27/2021 in Anchorage at the Brother Francis Shelter when he left without notice. He is homeless and there is no information on his whereabouts. Calls to his phone go straight to voicemail.

I tried googling "sammie davis missing" but without much hope and it was one of the first results. The glasses found with the remains look similar to the ones he wears on the pictures. Let's hope he is ID'd soon and his family and friends finally get closure.
Seems like a likely match. The timeline seems reasonable too. Being adopted might make any DNA identification difficult which is perhaps why it's taking so long.

FWIW Lowell, where he went missing from, is about 4 hours drive west of Murphy. Davis isn't listed as missing in NamUs and there are no rule outs for the UP. It seems likely they would have contacted each other but might be worth following up with Cherokee and/or Gaston Co. authorities to be sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back