OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Why be there by 9:00am for a 1:00pm hearing?

I wonder if this hearing will be done live like all the others. It's listed like the other hearings we have seen.

Local 12 WKRC Cincinnati normally does the hearings live.

Called court clerk. She said it is at 1:00pm and opened to family/public and could be televised like the other hearings. Said she hasn't heard anything different. Said it is a regular motion hearing, nothing to do with jury selection.

So if we are lucky we will get to see this hearing or at least read an article about it and see something on the docket about it etc....
I think it will be live streamed or at least that is what I am hearing. 1pm was confirmed to me by two sources. The person in court earlier this morning said at that time they were unsure if it was at 9 am or 1PM.

Angela Wagner new updated mugshot
I have never hated a person as much as I hate her. Who awakes up one morning and says..."I can't get my way lets kill everyone in the family."? I am ready to see them all closed away and living horrible lives in prison with people who hate them just as much as I do. That is when the real punishment will begin. They will have dozens if not hundreds of people who have nothing better to do than to decide how they are going to treat the Ws. This will happen a lot until they are killed or they die on their own. It has also crossed my mind that the Ws may take the easy way out because they haven't done anything hard in their lives. Staying alive and living with the years they have to face locked up is probably to mush for them to handle. Unlike the Rs they lack the constitution to take on the smallest of trials and tribulations much less being faced with prison life.
I haven't said much about this tragedy except to lurk and see what you guys had to say but I have been here from the start almost. I am ready for this to be over.

I shall shorten this up a bit...

Friday, August 5th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/8/22
through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.
Warrant for removal from Montgomery/Scioto County jail 8/8/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/12/22. Defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 9am.Warrant for removal from Monday, 8/15/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/19/22; the defendant shall arrive at the Pike County Common Pleas Court on or before 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on Monday, 8/29/22 & each weekday thereafter until further notice; defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 8:30am each day.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 6/30/22 & Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-2) 7/12 to 7/13/22 reference post #581 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-30

7/14/22 Thursday, Jury Completion of Questionnaires Day 3: No info available. Next individual voir dire of jurors on 8/8/22. 7/21/22: Subpoenas issued to Charles Craven Gilley & Patricia Howard (ex mil to GW4). 7/22/22: Return of service of subpoena-Patricia Howard served 7/21/22 & service of subpoena return-Charles Gilley served 7/21/22.
7/22/22: Motion #99: Motion to bar improper prosecutorial argument Motion #100: Motion to remove potential jurors who knew the victim or his/her family. Motion #101: Motion to require disclosure of favorable information concerning prospective jurors. Motion #102: Motion to disclose relationships, associations & ties between the prosecution's office & prospective jurors. Motion #103: Motion for 12 peremptory challenges. All filed by attorney John Parker. 7/26/22: Motion #104: Motion to strike venire & enforce mandatory juror attendance filed by John Parker. Additional reasons in support of the instant motion are incorporated with the attached memo & at the evidentiary hearing requested. For more info on Motion #104 – see post #634 page 32.
7/27/22: Motion #98: Motion to excuse Juror D67 as disqualified for jury duty filed by attorney Richard Nash, Jr. 8/1/22: Warrant for removal of defendant from Scioto County jail & to be brought to the Pike County Common Pleas court on Friday, 8/5/22 for a motions hearing & to arrive on or before 9am. 8/2/22: Motion #105: Motion to prohibit "rehabilitation" of prospective jurors filed. Motion #106: Motion to excuse jurors who automatically vote for death or will not consider mitigating factors filed (both) by John Parker.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

So what happened with Billy's Daubert hearings when George had his Daubert hearing? We didn't hear anything from George's attorneys during George's Daubert hearing. In George's Daubert hearing there was only the shoe print expert not ballistics expert. For some reason George's attorneys decided not to question the shoe print expert clearly available to them. Perhaps they will still call in a Daubert ballistics expert?

I don't see how Billy can get his motions hearings by August 31st when George's trial will be going on.

And I don't see how he can get a trial by October 31st when George's trial could take a month, then jury deliberations, then seating Billy's jury etc....

So it looks like Billy is on the back burner for now.

Billy Docket:

Counsel for the Defendant suggested that Daubert hearings on Defendant's Motions Nos. 42 and 43

Defendant's Motion No. 42, entitled DEFENDANT'S MOTION IN LIMINE REQUESTING A PRETRIAL DAUBERT HEARING TO DETERMINE THE ADMISSIBILITY OF BALLISTICS EVIDENCE AND OPINIONS

Defendant's Motion No. 43, entitled DEFENDANT'S MOTION IN LIMINE REQUESTING A PRETRIAL DAUBERT HEARING TO DETERMINE THE ADMISSIBILITY OF SHOEPRINT EVIDENCE AND OPINIONS

could be scheduled in coordination with similar hearings that may be scheduled in the case of co-defendant, George Washington Wagner IV,

and further suggested a separate motion hearing on other Defendant's motions, be scheduled no later than August 31, 2022,

and that a jury trial be scheduled to commence no later than October 31, 2022.

Defendant's counsel further indicated that there was work to be done by the defense concerning mitigation, and that the defense would need until approximately August 31, 2022, in order to prepare for hearing on some of the Defendant's motions and until approximately October 31, 2022, in order to prepare for trial.

Counsel for the State of Ohio agreed with scheduling Daubert hearings in coordination with any other similar hearings that may be held in the case of co-defendant George Washington Wagner IV, and with the scheduling of a hearing on other defense motions and with scheduling the commencement of trial within the approximate times suggested by the Defendant's counsel.
Maybe I'm way off on this...could the whole shoe print issue be both Billy and George wear the same size shoe and their lawyers will then both argue that cancels them both out, as far as the prosecution using the print to prove it's one of them versus the other?

Maybe I'm way off on this...could the whole shoe print issue be both Billy and George wear the same size shoe and their lawyers will then both argue that cancels them both out, as far as the prosecution using the print to prove it's one of them versus the other?
Angela specifically said she bought shoes for George and Jake in sizes they do not wear, so the print would not match the shoe size George normally wears.

Also, Angela said she bought the style of shoes that Jake and George didn't wear. Angela never said she bought any shoe for Billy. One of the bloody shoe prints matches the shoe Angela admits buying for George. I don't think the bloody shoe prints tie into Billy. I think he took care of dealing with his own shoes and didn't leave a print.

Last edited:

It may be that G4 defense will try to say that BW had those shoes on that night. They may say JW is lying. The print will not prove who had those shoes on.
In one of the hearings it kind of sounded to me like G4 defense may try to say BW had them on, but their defense may have changed several times and may again.

It may be that G4 defense will try to say that BW had those shoes on that night. They may say JW is lying. The print will not prove who had those shoes on.
In one of the hearings it kind of sounded to me like G4 defense may try to say BW had them on, but their defense may have changed several times and may again.
I think you are right Covert, we do know AW said in a statement she bought the shoes for JW & GW but they didn't like them so she threw them away. However, we haven't seen her proffer and have only learned a few things in JW's. AW could have changed her story. GW's defense is going to try and put the blame on everyone they can and discount the shoe evidence as much as possible.

I think you are right Covert, we do know AW said in a statement she bought the shoes for JW & GW but they didn't like them so she threw them away. However, we haven't seen her proffer and have only learned a few things in JW's. AW could have changed her story. GW's defense is going to try and put the blame on everyone they can and discount the shoe evidence as much as possible.
And AW was not at the scenes to say who had the shoes on, but JW was. She will probably say G4 had them on when he left but they will probably try to change it up somehow after he left, if they even try to say that.

Defense tried to make it sound like in motion 80 that the prosecution made AW ane JW say that G4 was involved or they would not have a plea deal. So it will be very interesting in the trial to see what defense they actually try to use. I can only think of a couple of things they can try to say.

Last edited:

Has anyone got a link for today‘s hearing?
"Cincinnati Watch | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WKRC" Watch

LIVE NOW
WKRC LIVE Event

From above linked article:

by WKRC
Friday, August 5th 2022

WAVERLY, Ohio (WKRC) - George Wagner will return to a Pike County courtroom Friday. Local 12 will stream the hearing live

Wagner's attorneys have recently filed new motions. They are related to the questioning of prospective jurors.

In-person jury selection begins on August 8 and will last about two weeks. 12 jurors and alternates will be chosen starting August 29.

Opening statements are set to begin immediately after that.

Last edited:
And AW was not at the scenes to say who had the shoes on, but JW was. She will probably say G4 had them on when he left but they will probably try to change it up somehow after he left, if they even try to say that.

Defense tried to make it sound like in motion 80 that the prosecution made AW ane JW say that G4 was involved or they would not have a plea deal. So it will be very interesting in the trial to see what defense they actually try to use. I can only think of a couple of things they can try to say.
It will be interesting to watch the defense try to switch back-and-forth between saying JW & AW are telling the truth about this area, oh but wait they are lying in this part.

It will be interesting to watch the defense try to switch back-and-forth between saying JW & AW are telling the truth about this area, oh but wait they are lying in this part.
Yes the defense can claim that there are lies in the proffers, but then the prosecution can say that it opens the possibility that they lied when they said George shot "nobody".

In the last hearing it was argued heavily by the prosecution that they had evidence of their guilt way before the proffers were given.

Even without the proffers, had Jake gone to trial there was more than enough evidence to convict him, this is why he confessed, because he and his attorneys saw the evidence against him was overwhelming in my opinion.

On top of that Jake validated, collaborated, the evidence collected against all of them. Confirmed facts the investigators knew already.

A huge problem for the defense is that now they can't blame the murders on the cartel or bad drug deal or on other people.

All they can do is basically admit Jake and Angela did it but George was left out of it. But there is too much evidence that shows George is up to his eyeballs in it.

Today's hearing here

From above linked article.

George Wagner Trial Jury Questionnaire

WAVERLY, Ohio (WKRC)
Local 12 was the first outlet to obtain the 21-page document Friday after petitioning the court last week for access. Local 12 will be covering the Wagner trial every day starting in September.

The jury questionnaire for the upcoming murder trial of George Wagner IV indicates how the prosecution and defense may be approaching their cases.

The questionnaire asks extensive questions about prospective jurors’ thoughts on the death penalty.

They were also asked extensively about guns and whether they knew the victims or any of their families, or any of the Wagners.

Last edited:
Enjoy your rides up North 23, 4. The roads you once traveled, as a free man, now haunts you. As you lie on your cot at night, reminiscing about the cold, callous murders you participated, may you know the begining of the end is in motion. The terror you brought on a community and innocent family will be tenfold in your new home and community. You will soon know the terror yoy brought upon nursing mothers. May you live a long and torturous life. Jmo

I missed those two images of him. Before Deering entered the court room I saw him smiling, chatting and a few short laughs with his attorney . The victims family members in a court room looked very unhappy to put it nicely.

Then maybe his courtroom B@#%& face is for show and behind the scenes he laughs and smiles alot thinking his attorneys will get him off on most of the charges. I never see him laugh and smile sitting in court.

Families don't need to worry, any laughing or smiling will be wiped off his face after the jury comes back with guilty murder verdicts.

He might get off on a couple lesser charges but for the most part I think he will be found guilty of most of the charges. What really matters is that he is found guilty of the murders he participated in.

He voted for it, bought the truck for it, bought a night scope and mask, was recorded making threats and incriminating statements, went along to the murder scenes that night, owned the type of guns used that night, was hiding in the truck when Billy went up to see Chris, has a bloody shoe print matching the kind his mom said she bought for him, lied to investigators about the custody - saying there was no custody dispute, did everything together with his family as a tight unit, committed other crimes with his family, took custody from his child's mother keeping her away from him, helped get rid of the evidence, committed burglary, was involved in the murder conspiracy, and on and on.

I am patiently waiting to see what is said about Billy's involvement and what is said about Kenny. I believe it was George or Billy who shot Kenny and the proffers place Billy right at Chris's house pretending to want to see him about a lucrative drug deal. No wonder we don't hear anything about Billy lately, the proffers place him at Chris's house. How can his attorneys defend that?

I believe Billy shot Chris for sure. Strangely, Jake says he killed 5 but shot a 6th victim. I believe this was Chris. I still think George used his gun that night. 3 guns were used, I don't believe Billy or Jake carried 2 guns, I believe George had his own gun with him and planned to use it.

Would like to hear what is said about who shot Gary. Not that I believe everything Jake says. He contradicted himself in his proffer and is known to be a liar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member