TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO I remember when this happened and thought it all seemed off. Not that I have any special insight to the crime but as with most cases and especially unsolved ones, there are so many more questions than answers. I've always found the surveillance unsettling. At this point, the only known thing is that Missy was there for a purpose and alone EXCEPT for the individual in the building for an unknown reason resulting in a terrible incident that remains unsolved. I try to see a silver lining... this one being the crime is not forgotten. I hold onto hope that the person will be found and arrested.

A person dressed in full SWAT attire, fake or not would pull attention of other people, even the LE members, early morning or not. Too risky, IMO, to walk in that. I can see him, though, having a bike or a motorbike.

I’m thinking he was on a motorcycle, I read the theory once and it made sense.

This happened in 2016 and no closure for Missy"s family. At the time I was hoping by now it would have been closed due to an arrest, but sadly, no. In post# 890 (I've never been on this thread but saw it in "What's New") the footage of that car strangely circling the church is very odd. What was the person waiting for? Was there an attempt at a burglary and so the vehicle being parked out of camera view? What about the license plate? DMV would have records of it obviously if it were legit. Maybe a bizarre coincidence? Its not time-stamped so I know she was killed early morning aroud 4:30-5:00AM (I could be wrong sorry its been a long time since I came accross the headlines of this awful murder.) I'm guessing this footage is taken earlier in the night. Could the driver be staking the place out for another time and taking notes while parked. The real perp coming either later or earlier and hiding somewhere and somehow seeing Missy arrive the perp decided it was good time to attack since no one else was in the building except Missy? IMO this could be a very strong female perhaps someone (female) who is jealous of Missy and her success? The limp could be a way to throw off LE by pretending as persons associated with Missy had similar gaits and walking as in with a limp. IIRC it worked for a while. In the original headlines a jealous female was never mentioned but if it has been and is discounted then its my bad.
The vehicle wasn't circling the church, it was circling a gun store down the road. That's where the security footage of the vehicle is from.

I wonder if that gear worn by the perp was waterproof? I think it was raining all day. It is confusing though because obviously the SWAT gear would be very noticeable in even dusk/dim light and would be very out of place anywhere except a costume party. So maybe there is validity to the perp having ridden a motorcycle as the helmet can be used for that. The SWAT uniform hidden under a long coat. But at the same time riding a motorcycle in rain on a highway at high speed is not advisable. So maybe then it wasn't a motorcycle rider. A cyclist. IDK the clothes look bulky and uncomfortable. Not a cyclist either IMO.

According to the story of that morning, Camp Gladiator people from Missy Bever's class were waiting near the awning door to get into the church. Police know this because of a security camera near the awning area outside the church. It was working.

When this person decided to burglarize the church, did they drive their vehicle completely around the church parking lot to see if anyone was there? I guess we do not know.

But the security camera outside the awning area is what is strange. If a burglar were trying to get into a church, the interior lights are on, and there was no one else around(vehicles), wouldn't they try to see if maybe one of the doors was left open before breaking in through a door?

My point is the burglar never checked to see if the door was open near the awning. They couldn't have or they would have been on camera. I can definitely understand why someone would have problems believing this was a normal burglary.
That kind of leads me to believe that he/she knew about the camera at the front door. I don't think it was a burglary. The suspect seemed to be just biding their time.

Interesting LE states the perp's car was in the parking lot. The perp was first seen at 3;50AM. Missy arrives in her truck at 4:16 and is seen entering the church at 4:20. The Gladiaor fitness participants arrive at 4:35. Her murder was very quick IMO. Missy must've gone into the room where she was found right about then maybe 4:21 or 4:22. The evening before Missy posted the room the fitness class would be held in because of the rain. I suspect the light wasn't on and the perp was very close to the door possibly. This must have caught Missy by surprise and this perp basically must have ambushed her. She may have been killed in 5 mins. or less. The perp must have left right after killing her as the perp knew Gladiator participants would be arriving soon before the class would begin at 5AM. Maybe not then again. Its less than ten mins. before they arrived. Maybe the perp saw them arriving in the parking lot and rushed out another way before they even stepped inside. WOW!!!

Interesting LE states the perp's car was in the parking lot. The perp was first seen at 3;50AM. Missy arrives in her truck at 4:16 and is seen entering the church at 4:20. The Gladiaor fitness participants arrive at 4:35. Her murder was very quick IMO. Missy must've gone into the room where she was found right about then maybe 4:21 or 4:22. The evening before Missy posted the room the fitness class would be held in because of the rain. I suspect the light wasn't on and the perp was very close to the door possibly. This must have caught Missy by surprise and this perp basically must have ambushed her. She may have been killed in 5 mins. or less. The perp must have left right after killing her as the perp knew Gladiator participants would be arriving soon before the class would begin at 5AM. Maybe not then again. Its less than ten mins. before they arrived. Maybe the perp saw them arriving in the parking lot and rushed out another way before they even stepped inside. WOW!!!
I think that the perp would have fled the scene quickly after committing a murder regardless of whether he was aware that anyone was coming.

I wonder if that gear worn by the perp was waterproof? I think it was raining all day. It is confusing though because obviously the SWAT gear would be very noticeable in even dusk/dim light and would be very out of place anywhere except a costume party. So maybe there is validity to the perp having ridden a motorcycle as the helmet can be used for that. The SWAT uniform hidden under a long coat. But at the same time riding a motorcycle in rain on a highway at high speed is not advisable. So maybe then it wasn't a motorcycle rider. A cyclist. IDK the clothes look bulky and uncomfortable. Not a cyclist either IMO.

We have motorcycles. The armor in a riding jacket is not much different than the chest plates of LE body armor per others riders we know (who wear both at different times.) In some vests, the POLICE or SWAT patch is on velcro, so could easily be removed for riding away without the rain shell.

A long coat on a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster. A rain shell over the riding jacket is a common motorcycle accessory.

Helmet, boots, body armor, and pants are all common for motorcyclists.

No idea if LE found any evidence of a motorcycle of any size near Creekside, AFAIK there is nothing to rule one out.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
We have motorcycles. The armor in a riding jacket is not much different than the chest plates of LE body armor per others riders we know (who wear both at different times.) In some vests, the POLICE or SWAT patch is on velcro, so could easily be removed for riding away without the rain shell.

A long coat on a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster. A rain shell over the riding jacket is a common motorcycle accessory.

Helmet, boots, body armor, and pants are all common for motorcyclists.

No idea if LE found any evidence of a motorcycle of any size near Creekside, AFAIK there is nothing to rule one out.

jmho ymmv lrr
I read somewhere in an article that there was a car in the parking lot at the time. That is how I am assuming the perp got to the church. If that is the case I am very surprised very little mention has been made of it. I could be wrong of course as every article or video I have seen about Missy's case has never mentioned that car. IDK why?

I think that the perp would have fled the scene quickly after committing a murder regardless of whether he was aware that anyone was coming.
I know but it was just a few minutes after like less than ten mins. that the Gladiator participants were going to arrive so in my mind it just adds another level of unease to this case is what I'm trying to say.

1 I read somewhere in an article that there was a car in the parking lot at the time. That is how I am assuming the perp got to the church. If that is the case I am very surprised very little mention has been made of it. I could be wrong of course as every article or video I have seen about Missy's case has never mentioned that car. DK why?

2 I know but it was just a few minutes after like less than ten mins. that the Gladiator participants were going to arrive so in my mind it just adds another level of unease to this case is what I'm trying to say.I

1 As far as we have been told --- There is no evidence for a car, nor against a car, nor for/against any other type of vehicle, because there is no outside video at the church. The geography of the church (far away from any other business or neighborhood), in the middle of a pouring rain, and with having to wear or transport bulky costume, would imo argue against anything but a truck-car-SUV etc. imo.

2 Whether he was expecting anyone that morning or not, after Missy came, in her workout clothes, perp should have (rightly) assumed that others would be arriving too at any minute. He wouldn't have necessarily had a sense of a timeline, only that others were very likely to soon follow. That should have made him flee hurriedly after killing MB. Which he apparently did.

From what we have been told, perp was NOT waiting for MB as she entered the building. In various ways we have been told he was nowhere near her entrance, and she was apparently killed after she went most or all the way up the long westside hallway to the other end. (That's one reason I lean towards a "not planned" attack - he apparently was NOT in the vicinity, waiting for her, as she entered.)

1 As far as we have been told --- There is no evidence for a car, nor against a car, nor for/against any other type of vehicle, because there is no outside video at the church. The geography of the church (far away from any other business or neighborhood), in the middle of a pouring rain, and with having to wear or transport bulky costume, would imo argue against anything but a truck-car-SUV etc. imo.

2 Whether he was expecting anyone that morning or not, after Missy came, in her workout clothes, perp should have (rightly) assumed that others would be arriving too at any minute. He wouldn't have necessarily had a sense of a timeline, only that others were very likely to soon follow. That should have made him flee hurriedly after killing MB. Which he apparently did.

From what we have been told, perp was NOT waiting for MB as she entered the building. In various ways we have been told he was nowhere near her entrance, and she was apparently killed after she went most or all the way up the long westside hallway to the other end. (That's one reason I lean towards a "not planned" attack - he apparently was NOT in the vicinity, waiting for her, as she entered.)
Perhaps in earliest media reports it was said that she was killed in a room and I assumed that it was the room where she was going to instruct. Thanks.

I’m thinking he was on a motorcycle, I read the theory once and it made sense.
That is risky though. Because of the police uniform not being real police, if a real police officer sees that person on the motorcycle they could be in trouble if police think they are posing as a police officer. Does Midlothian have motorcycle patrol? This is assuming the person came to the church dressed in the police uniform.

Last edited:
But why don the SWAT outfit if it was supposed to be a murder made to look like a burglary gone wrong? There are much easier ways to conceal your identity than that. A good Ole skin mask and a set of black baggy clothes would disguise his silhouette and cover his face well enough and they are much easier to transport and get rid of than a SWAT uniform. They are also easier to buy anonimously. So why SWAT uniform.

Also, why a murderer waiting for his victim would make so much noise? Breaking glass, hammering on stuff, all in the time when their target can appear at the church, it's risky. And you do not need to destroy random stuff to make it look like a burglary. Open some cabinets and drawers, mąkę a bit of mess and voila. Far less napisy and gives an impression someone was looking for money or valuables.

For me it looks like a job od some very immature emotionally person, that has some elaborate fantasies of power. I think he is an avid gamer, there are games about SWAT, where the player has to go through the rooms in a location, clear them and secure some Irena. Perp's behavior looked just like an emulation of such a game. I think he is a young adult, probably with his own car and he broke into places before. Think weird break ins where nothing of value was taken, but the place was more or less vandalised. I think this time he felt safe, as he got away with the previous break ins, much too safe, because he was so busy roleplaying he did not hear Missy aproaching. She surprised him, maybe even recognised him and in a panic he decided to kill her.
That is a good question. Why the police uniform? No matter how the perpetrator was dressed, why did they feel they needed to kill Missy Bevers? They are in disguise. Unless Missy personally knows who the person is or can recognize their voice there is nothing she can provide police in terms of a description. And the killer looks directly at the surveillance camera so even if they were going to leave Creekside and commit a burglary somewhere else, wearing the same disguise would not be that smart.

If the killer had a gun, they should not have had a problem leaving. Did a struggle over the gun happen? If so, was there powder residue from the gun on Missy's clothing? I could not understand that part about a burglar killing Missy Bevers, but there are many criminals in prison who have done dumber things.

The only theory I can come up with regarding the clothing is that maybe the killer did not get dressed until they got to the church. Maybe they parked their car somewhere nearby and walked to the church much earlier so by the time they came out of the kitchen room area on surveillance tape their uniform and helmet were dry? What did they do in the meantime? It is late so maybe they took a nap?

The only reason you would do it this way is so that it appears you only arrived shortly before or else most people are going to find it very hard to believe any burglar stays in the church for hours. The idea behind the theory is that the person was already there. The problem is the killer would need a bag in order to remove the uniform after murdering Missy but before they left the church so they can "arrive" to the church so nobody notices they were already there.

But it is still very risky because we know the killer did not check the southwest awning door(at least based on the video info released) and it would look strange if a Camp Gladiator participant's vehicle were parked on the other side of the building where it is thought this burglar killer entered the church.

Such a simple theory like that you also have to assume was already checked out by police anyway.

That is a good question. Why the police uniform? No matter how the perpetrator was dressed, why did they feel they needed to kill Missy Bevers? They are in disguise. Unless Missy personally knows who the person is or can recognize their voice there is nothing she can provide police in terms of a description. And the killer looks directly at the surveillance camera so even if they were going to leave Creekside and commit a burglary somewhere else, wearing the same disguise would not be that smart.

People do not always behave in a logical fashion. If the perp was intoxicated or under the influence of heavy emotions (like panic and fear of deconspiration and it's consequences) he might not even think what he was doing. Just acted out to escape what seemed to be a trap for him.

The only theory I can come up with regarding the clothing is that maybe the killer did not get dressed until they got to the church. Maybe they parked their car somewhere nearby and walked to the church much earlier so by the time they came out of the kitchen room area on surveillance tape their uniform and helmet were dry? What did they do in the meantime? It is late so maybe they took a nap?

According to this page around half past three the rain weakened down a lot. That might be the moment the perp chose to travel to the church, so he wasn't soaking wet. The fake SWAT outfits are usually made out of synthetics that dry up pretty fast.

The only reason you would do it this way is so that it appears you only arrived shortly before or else most people are going to find it very hard to believe any burglar stays in the church for hours. The idea behind the theory is that the person was already there. The problem is the killer would need a bag in order to remove the uniform after murdering Missy but before they left the church so they can "arrive" to the church so nobody notices they were already there.

If it was one of the class members then why vandalize the church? What with all these pesky glass and other particles that could be easily transferred from that outfit into the person's bag/car? Why wait for Missy at the other end of the building? Why donning that wacko outfit? It was raining so a waterproof coat with a hood would be a better choice. It disguises you perfectly, protects you from the blood and you can later ball it up, stuff into a ziploc bag and then burn together with the bag. Done, dusted, no traces anymore.

People do not always behave in a logical fashion. If the perp was intoxicated or under the influence of heavy emotions (like panic and fear of deconspiration and it's consequences) he might not even think what he was doing. Just acted out to escape what seemed to be a trap for him.
Snipped, BBM.

Could you please explain the term deconspiration? I am not familiar with that word, and I doubt whether many others here are, either. It shows up in a couple of academic papers online, but there is no entry for it at dictionary.com.

Snipped, BBM.

Could you please explain the term deconspiration? I am not familiar with that word, and I doubt whether many others here are, either. It shows up in a couple of academic papers online, but there is no entry for it at dictionary.com.
I have the same question, Ozoner.
FWIW, I interpreted (guessed) the word as "decompensation", which would fit the sentence, IMO:

Decompensation:
  • PSYCHIATRY
    the failure to generate effective psychological coping mechanisms in response to stress, resulting in personality disturbance or disintegration, especially that which causes relapse in schizophrenia.

and
  • What is Decompensating behavior?

To decompensate means to lose the ability to maintain one's state of mental health, typically due to some kind of stress. The word decompensate is most often applied to someone who is having a breakdown in their mental health mechanisms, especially someone who has an existing mental illness or psychological condition.

Snipped, BBM.

Ahh, that means as much as the perp's real identity (hidden under that SWAT disguise) getting uncovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member