WEBSLEUTHS WILL BE OFF LINE FOR A SOFTWARE UPDATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! If I read the statement correctly, there is not an ad free option?
I just joined as well and the ads are horribly distracting and almost impossible to avoid - not too mention all over my screen in duplicate.

I am following as I would like to know this as well. Thank you for asking and allowing me to "piggyback." Welcome!

Last edited:
have raised this as "Report a Problem" but you cant attach files, not sure if they are aware of how bad the number of ads are or how ridiculous the amount is - you can even read a single post.

Shame as I loved websleuths but now its just to frustrating to bother, I hope they consider changing the ad amounts

View attachment 354702
Just joined a few mins ago after watching a documentary raving about this site and I was intrigued and want to help. Thus far I am completely thrown off and appalled by the sheer volume of ads and the duplicity in nature all over my screen. Seems counter-productive to fighting crime when we are all fighting ads to get to the point and root of the problem itself.

Thank you for posting and replying in-kind to also hear other responses and hopefully a solution. :)

Just joined a few mins ago after watching a documentary raving about this site and I was intrigued and want to help. Thus far I am completely thrown off and appalled by the sheer volume of ads and the duplicity in nature all over my screen. Seems counter-productive to fighting crime when we are all fighting ads to get to the point and root of the problem itself.

Thank you for posting and replying in-kind to also hear other responses and hopefully a solution. :)
welcome ! - the ad issue has only been recent since they did the upgrade. It's a real shame !

I've been having issues on mobile where I click on a thread and it redirects me to a page that is just a giant ad with no X, so I have to X out of the whole page and try again.

Report the problems, please! If we just talk about this here, the folks who can change things won't know the extent of the problem.

If every instance is reported by every user, every time -- things are more likely to change.

jmho ymmv lrr

It IS better on desktop. But I usually access via mobile, and it’s really awful.

Also, as they are IT, perhaps they could just turn these threads into tickets.

I don't think I'm having the same trouble that the people posting here have, but I'm not sure where else to look and one of the main words involved is the same. I've looked all over at the discussion of rules, terms, etc on here and have searched on the "regular" internet with no real luck.

What does "*advertiser censored*" mean?

It is inserted seemingly kind of randomly into many posts, including some of mine. It's in recent posts and older ones. I thought I'd found a thread where it was being discussed, but I think it was just where it was used to censor things people were talking about (the thread was about some kind of "software update").

It looks like it's been inserted to "censor" several occasions where child *advertiser censored* (or simply *advertiser censored*) is mentioned but that's not always where it happens. One can get away with being offended by *advertiser censored* itself if they're that sensitive for some reason. If you're offended by the word *advertiser censored*, you need drastic help. In my old posts that were defiled, I couldn't figure out what it was trying to replace. And I saw at least once where a college degree was censored. Magna *advertiser censored* Laude is a fancy piece of paper you get when you graduate and has nothing to do with ejaculation.

Does this mean that the advertisers (who are very annoying and just get in the way) are censoring words we say in the forum? What makes that appropriate? Especially when nearly all of the ads I see are either something I would never need or buy or just outright offensive.. If anybody knows where I need to go to about this particular thing, please let me know. I don't need to throw my keyboard any more tonight.

The *advertiser censored* is simply a replacement of the former ************. Websleuths has more members offended by profanity than they are likely to be over the use of either asterisks or its replacement term of *advertiser censored*.

Websleuths is free to members and therefore needs advertisers as a source of revenue to keep the site going.

Reputable advertising companies require that the forums they advertise on follow a certain set of rules or they won't advertise with them. For instance, Google advertising will not permit the use of certain words within a site on which it advertises, and the advertisers Websleuths selects to associate with are no different. If members don't want censorship there are millions of sites where anything goes; they can say what they want but they may also see a class of ad they really don't want to see.

There are lots of sites on the internet where there is not the same degree of specific word censoring, but they have a different calibre of content and are not as particular about what their advertising consists of. Websleuths chooses to go with more reputable companies and therefore we have to meet their requirements.

This thread is closed for further discussion.

If you have a technical issue, please use the "Report a Problem" feature found in the grey bar at the bottom of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater