GUILTY KY - Serenity Ann McKinney, 4, found deceased, mom & bf refusing to cooperate, Shelby Co, 24 Dec 2020 *Arrests, 1 guilty*

AUG 5, 2022
[...]

Bullitt County Coroner Dave Billings said DNA results from the Kentucky State Police crime lab confirmed the body found near the Jefferson-Bullitt County line six months ago as Serenity McKinney.

[...]

On Feb. 21, murder charges were filed for Serenity’s mother, 21-year-old Catherine McKinney, and her boyfriend, 26-year-old Dakota Hill. They were also charged with abuse of a corpse in relation to Serenity’s death.

McKinney and Hill were booked in the Shelby County Detention Center. They are both expected back in court in October.

AUG 5, 2022
[...]

Serenity paternal grandmother, MR, told WDRB News she has been in consistent contact with the Bullitt County Coroner's Office awaiting confirmation that the body discovered was in fact of her granddaughter.

A WDRB News report in May 2022 revealed that MR and family members had not set a date for a funeral service yet because the remains had not been released and they were still waiting on positive identification.

[...]

According to Billings, the first DNA sample did not provide enough viable DNA to complete testing, so another sample was taken. On Friday afternoon, Billings confirmed that results are now in, and the body is confirmed to be that of Serenity.

Billings said he does not have information on a cause of death yet. He said that will be released in a final report at a later date.

[...]

[...]

Serenity’s family is holding a birthday party for her on Aug. 9.

Serenity’s grandmother, MR, said they are doing a pinwheel event at Clear Creek Park in Shelbyville, which is the same place they did her balloon release.

People are invited to come and bring a pinwheel and ask people to be there between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.

[...]

AUG 9, 2022
Month's after a missing little girl's body was found, it has finally been returned to the family.

It has been what Serenity McKinney's grandmothers describe as a rollercoaster of emotions. Remembering her on what would have been her fifth birthday the same week her remains have returned.

[...]

"You wanted them to take the time that they needed to make sure they had everything they needed to keep this monster behind bars, but at the same time we want some closure," said Wainscott. "Justice will be served I have no doubt in my mind."

While loved ones wait, they hold onto each other, and memories with Serenity ahead of a funeral that can finally take place.

OCT 19

BULLITT COUNTY, Ky. — A coroner's report has revealed more grisly details about how the body of a missing 4-year-old girl was found.

Serenity McKinney's body was found back in February.

In a report just received from the Bullitt County Coroner's Office, it says that her body was found decomposing, wrapped in plastic inside of a green suitcase.

Read the full report here.

OCT 20, 2022
[...]

McKinney and Hill appeared in court on Oct. 10 for a pre-trial hearing. They remain in custody at the Bullitt County Jail awaiting trial on Jan. 31, 2023.

Serenity’s father, DJ Roller, and her extended family spoke with WHAS11 in February and said they were still grieving their insurmountable loss.

The family said they were left with only memories of a beautiful little girl, saying Serenity was a budding singer, puzzle solver, fisher and princess.

“You could tell there was a heck of a future ahead of her, just breathtaking,” Roller said. “I’m not going to stop, I’m going to keep pushing until justice is served.”

JAN 28, 2023
[...]

According to Bullitt Commonwealth’s Attorney Bailey Taylor, he told WHAS11 News his office is still waiting on additional evidence and that the defense counsel is looking to secure experts regarding the case.

[...]

Taylor also revealed he is waiting for evidence from the scene to come back from the lab hoping to find a DNA match.

[...]

Her cause of death remains unknown.

Serenity’s mother, Catherine ‘Abby’ McKinney and her boyfriend Dakota Hill have been charged with murder and abuse of a corpse were supposed to have a pre-trial hearing on Jan. 31.

FEB 18, 2023
One year after 4-year-old Serenity McKinney was found dead, wrapped in plastic inside a suitcase in the woods along the line of Bullitt and Jefferson counties, family and loved ones returned to remember the little girl.

Her father, DR, was among the many who paid their respects to Serenity on Saturday.

“There's a pinwheel here, and it's blowing. I always took it as a sign that she's watching,” DR said.

[...]

Saturday’s vigil was the family’s first time at the spot their little girl was found.

[...]

Her paternal grandmother, MR, described the 4-year-old as a bright light with a perfect smile. She said sometimes she can still feel the warm embrace of her granddaughters small hands around her neck for a hug.

bbe775ce-eae4-4f5d-8cb6-16aa0b6eed2d_1140x641.jpg

Credit: WHAS-TV

"It's been a very, very difficult year for me since we lost her. My life has been in shambles," she said. "And I'm trying to get back where I need to be, because we have to get justice."

Her father, DR, tells us the last year hasn't been easy, but what keeps him going is the thought of once again reuniting with his daughter.

"I've drawn a closer relationship to God. I don't question why he would do something like that. I know there's a purpose behind everything," DR said. "And, above all else, I know exactly where my daughter's at, and I'll be reunited with her on the day I take my last breath and I know I'll be with her eternally. And, I can't wait for that day but I can wait for that day, if that makes sense."

[...]

Catherine McKinney, the mother of Serenity McKinney, is expected to change her not-guilty plea to guilty on Monday, according to court records.

Serenity McKinney's body was found in February of last year near the Jefferson County-Bullitt County line, but she wasn't identified until August.

When the Bullitt County coroner finally released their autopsy, it revealed that Serenity McKinney was found decomposing, wrapped in plastic inside a green suitcase.

The report said there was no definite deadly trauma, but it did indicate that she suffered fractures to her right arm and femur.

Due to the decomposition, coroners said they could not determine an official cause of death but did determine it was a homicide.

Catherin McKinney's change of plea is expected to take place on Monday at 10 a.m., pending the agreement of the parties.

She and Hill are both charged with murder and abuse of a corpse.

APR 12, 2023
MR and a group of supporters had hoped that a trip to the Bullitt County Judicial Center Monday morning was going to give them a little more insight into the death of four-year-old Serenity McKinney last February.

However, a delay on Monday will result in MR and her family and friends to return at 8:30 a.m. this Friday.

At that time, the girl’s mother, Catherine McKinney, is expected to change her plea to guilty for her role in the toddler’s death.

“I have to keep my faith,” MR said after the Monday proceeding was delayed while the defendant signed paperwork on the plea agreement.

[...]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase