Found Deceased Bryce Evans, 23, pre-med student traveling from TN to NC, Cherokee, 30 July 2022

Such sad news. He may have made a hiking miss-step and fallen, etc.
Oh such sad and terrible news for his family -- pictures showing Bryce and his siblings and parents looked so genuinely happy and loving.

A big piece of his family's hearts will never heal.

Devastating outcome. Prayers for all those who love him.

Searchers found Evans about 20 yards off trail, approximately 1.5 miles from the Balsam Mountain Trailhead parking area.

IDK but 1.5 miles from the trailhead is not too far from his vehicle, was he going off trail because he was trying to find the campground, perhaps for help. But staying on the trail would lead to the campground and parking lot. IMO twenty yards off trail is relatively far from the trail.

This is such a sad outcome!

I've hiked in this area many, many times when I was younger--I thru-hiked the AT when I was in college which obviously runs through the GSMNP and trails like this typically will connect to the AT a ways in. I am pretty sure I've hiked the trail he was on. If my memory is correct, it's often very wet (lots of little creeks), narrow, and the trail is a little under-maintained once you get past the very beginning of the trail. It's a really beautiful area and not crazy or anything for someone to scout out if they are looking for a more quiet hiking experience... would not be shocked if he went off-trail to take a picture of something and slipped :(

Are we presuming this is an accident?
Because I had assumed it was suicide....

MOO.
As he was an avid hiker, misadventure is a real possibility. The location of the vehicle and the body give me pause. But we don't know how unusual it would be for him to explore in this manner. Going off trail is a red flag in my view, based on my personal hiking experience.

Upthread an OP mentioned it can be very wet in that area. He was young & presumably healthy so an injury leading to death is plausible, if not probable. It did take several days to find him. What if he got bitten by a poisonous snake?

Until we hear something that makes the weight of the evidence lean toward suicide, I am not persuaded. YMMV!

MOO

As he was an avid hiker, misadventure is a real possibility. The location of the vehicle and the body give me pause. But we don't know how unusual it would be for him to explore in this manner. Going off trail is a red flag in my view, based on my personal hiking experience.

Upthread an OP mentioned it can be very wet in that area. He was young & presumably healthy so an injury leading to death is plausible, if not probable. It did take several days to find him. What if he got bitten by a poisonous snake?

Until we hear something that makes the weight of the evidence lean toward suicide, I am not persuaded. YMMV!

MOO
So many things could have happened. I think the reason some might think suicide was because of the first missing report (in the first post on this thread) that said he had recently had a "personal setback". I'm just glad his family has some closure and hopefully can grieve this incredible loss.

Are we presuming this is an accident?
Because I had assumed it was suicide....

MOO.
I wouldn't immediately assume this.

I went to college in SC and would spend the summer in Asheville (about an hour east of Cherokee) and weekends up in the area. Granted, I spent more of my time in the Blue Ridge Mtns but spent a lot of time in the Smokys as well. If you are a hiking enthusiast (experienced or not) It's not an uncommon thing to have a full list of trails in the area/park and cross them off one by one. Sometimes that means really going out of your way to get there! Bonus points if you avoid crowds (aka I don't want to go to Clingman's Dome on a Saturday). On some of these more less frequented trails, I'd say the hiker base is pretty evenly split between younger people in their 20s (typically students!) and then older experienced male hikers. Both groups often solo. Bryce really fits my image of the kind of person I would have crossed paths with out on one of these trails.

ETA: It was 2004-2007 when I was in the area, so some time ago, but I can't imagine much has changed with local hiking culture aside from there likely being more people--the whole area has grown a lot in the last couple of decades. It's especially rewarding to go out to some of these trails on really hot summer days because the temperature up there is about 20 degrees lower--it's such a huge relief to get away and enjoy the peaceful quiet.

Very sad news. On the possibility of a potential setback: a 23yo premed, so he’s through a fifth year if he needed more coursework for MCAT and admissions prep - but it’s August, he would’ve been starting med school this month or next had he been admitted - and there was no mention of that in the missing persons reporting (anticipating the family would’ve noted he was looking forward to starting at X, etc.) I can imagine that a setback on this path would be devastating for a man who had shown commitment through EMT training, etc. I feel for the family very deeply here.

Very sad news. On the possibility of a potential setback: a 23yo premed, so he’s through a fifth year if he needed more coursework for MCAT and admissions prep - but it’s August, he would’ve been starting med school this month or next had he been admitted - and there was no mention of that in the missing persons reporting (anticipating the family would’ve noted he was looking forward to starting at X, etc.) I can imagine that a setback on this path would be devastating for a man who had shown commitment through EMT training, etc. I feel for the family very deeply here.

Well, that's assuming he started college at 18.

But one thing that stands out however, is that his car was stuck on that trail and couldn't move so I assumed he was going for help. That's why I don't understand why he was found that far off the trail. He would have known to stay on it if his aim was to go to the parking/camping area lot to get help. From what his family said he was looking forward to his future prospects. So, I don't see suicide for this reason.

But one thing that stands out however, is that his car was stuck on that trail and couldn't move so I assumed he was going for help. That's why I don't understand why he was found that far off the trail. He would have known to stay on it if his aim was to go to the parking/camping area lot to get help. From what his family said he was looking forward to his future prospects. So, I don't see suicide for this reason.
I'm not finding a source that says his car got stuck, just that it was found at a trailhead. Did I miss it?

I wish MSM would give the name of the exact trailhead.

I'm confused by the road being described as hard to travel since there is a campground and more than one trailhead with parking along it.

Wish we had more details about the kind of terrain where his body was found.

I'm not finding a source that says his car got stuck, just that it was found at a trailhead. Did I miss it?

I'm confused by the road being described as hard to travel since there is a campground and more than one trailhead with parking along it.

I was thinking the campground/parking lot may be close by? I'll try and find where I read that the car was stuck and post it here.

I can't find it now. Maybe I was mistaken that the car was stuck. The ladies who came accross his car I think maybe had the same thing happen to them possibly they got lost I've seen that mentioned in news reports. Its possible all three of them didn't realize that this trail or path was not going anywhere and eventually would have to abandon thier vehicles because their cars couldn't go any farther? JMO.

He could have been taken off the trail by a wild being, bear or mountain lion. He could have encountered a mother black bear and though they are not known to be aggressive when they have young with them and feel threatened it's possible he was mauled. He's a big guy. <modsnip>
I suppose an autopsy will tell what happened to him. Yes, could have been mauled. 20 yards is pretty far IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could have been taken off the trail by a wild being, bear or mountain lion. He could have encountered a mother black bear and though they are not known to be aggressive when they have young with them and feel threatened it's possible he was mauled. He's a big guy.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose an autopsy will tell what happened to him. Yes, could have been mauled. 20 yards is pretty far IMO.
Not really; for a wild being or beings... as a hiker and longtime bare bones camper, doing that is nothing. And I'm not a premed EMT who's tall and would have less to fear. I'd go 20 yards off a trail no problem potentially depending on where it is. Can't make assumptions without seeing the area he did this in.

Not really; for a wild being or beings... as a hiker and longtime bare bones camper, doing that is nothing. And I'm not a premed EMT who's tall and would have less to fear. I'd go 20 yards off a trail no problem potentially depending on where it is. Can't make assumptions without seeing the area he did this in.
What I meant was stay on the trail. For someone who doesn't know the area (I am assuming this that he didn't know the area.) Afterall it seems he drove his car to where he shouldn't have just as the two ladies who found his car.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back