CA - Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, speeds through intersection kills 6, including pregnant woman in fiery crash, Los Angeles, 4 Aug. '22

Odds Favor Drunk Trauma Victims
A study in the journal American Surgeon finds that trauma victims who were inebriated at the time of their injury have higher survival rates than their sober counterparts. Rachel Kremen reports

A retrospective study of nearly 8,000 trauma patients found that seven percent of people who came in sober died of their injuries, while those who were hurt while drunk only died one percent of the time. A positive blood alcohol level seemed to increase the likelihood of survival, even after the researchers took into account the age of the patient and the severity of the injury. Trauma patients who came in to the hospital drunk were discharged sooner, too.

Why would that be???
I would also add that ICU nursing can be an extremely stressful job, especially if you are having to do long shift (like 10-12 hours) or do extra shifts because of staffing problems. Also, the emotional trauma of dealing with desperately ill people takes it's toll, especially if one of them passes and you have bonded with that person and /or their family.

None of this makes the crime any less awful or brings back those killed or injured in this incident. None of this will change her culpability in this awful event.

That's an understatement ... are we sure this woman wasn't trying to end her life and this was an intentional act?
There was literally an intersection full of cars that were visible and seemingly no attempt to slow down. If she was that drunk, how did she avoid hitting anything before approaching the intersection? How could she even drive at all?

Do we know where she got in the vehicle, what was her starting point?

There are a lot of facts we dont know yet----I am sure we will
Learn more in the coming days

I also question the story from the "friend" at the gas station who claimed she was drunk and had a fight with her BF. The "friend" was the lady with the green glasses and a hat on who was interviewed on the video.

Why would a friend already be at the site of the accident and know who was driving the vehicle? The woman interviewed seemed kind of loopy.

I do agree that her vehicle seemed to be really speeding in excess of the speed limit which is probably 45 mph there. 80 mph when she hit the decedent's vehicle seems about right. There appeared to be no brake lights that lit up as she approached the intersection and the intersection was full of cross traffic in both directions so Linton was not trying to outrun a changing yellow light. The lack of appropriate driving would suggest an impulsive suicide-by-vehicle attempt, but in full view of other innocent people that she would injure or kill.

I'll wait to pass judgement until I read more about the LE investigation.

It was stated she was going 100 mph!!!

It was stated she was going 100 mph!!!

LE has not released that

I'm guessing that's some irresponsible social media gossip.

I think we should wait for LE to give us information that can be substantiated. I, too, wonder what her driving route was to that point and where she started all this from.

( We don't know for sure if there was a BF or other situation. Part of me is wondering if she was having a relationship with someone she worked with and wanted to end up in the Neuro ICU herself as an accident victim, just to 'show them". Just all my rambling thoughts not to be taken seriously. Don't feel much like getting in my car and driving around busy streets right now.... just something in the water in LA it seems.)
---------------
Edited to add: I just noticed DM put quotes around "drunk" in their most recent update on the incident. Linton is to be arraigned on Monday, after being released from the hospital to likely media lawyers are telling them to watch their language before the charges are dropped.

Last edited:
Another fiery crash caused by a speeding lunatic. Mother and daughter killed, as well as the perpetrator.
What is going on these days.....
Even in my quiet area, there are seemingly daily vehicular accidents.

Herat said:
snipped by me...

I do agree that her vehicle seemed to be really speeding in excess of the speed limit which is probably 45 mph there. 80 mph when she hit the decedent's vehicle seems about right.

In one article I read - it was a 35mph zone & she was going in excess of 100mph...

and thanks for the arraignment date!

from the jail site:

Booking No.: 6434223 Last Name: LINTON First Name: NICOLE Middle Name:
Sex: F Race: B Date Of Birth: 06/27/1985 Age: 37 Hair: BLK Eyes: BRO Height: 505 Weight: 140

Charge Level: F (Felony)
ARREST
Arrest Date: 08/04/2022 Arrest Time: 1925 Arrest Agency: 9965 Agency Description: CHP-WEST LA STATION
Date Booked: 08/06/2022 Time Booked: 1642 Booking Location: CEN Location Description: STA - CENTURY STATION
BAIL
Total Bail Amount: 2,000,000.00 Total Hold Bail Amount: 0.00 Grand Total: 2,000,000.00

HOUSING LOCATION
Housing Location: CRDF
Permanent Housing Assigned Date: 08/06/2022 Assigned Time: 2313
Facility: CENTURY REGIONAL DETENTION FACILITY
Address: 11705 ALAMEDA STREET City: LYNWOOD

COURT
Next Court Code: Next Court Date: Next Court Time: 0000 Next Court Case:
Court Name:
Court Address: Court City:

link: LASD Inmate Information Center - Booking Details

Anyone reading here - can you access L.A. County court site to find out what her case # is? That way I can see when she is in court next.

TIA if you can help me!

View attachment 358135
''Linton survived the fiery crash and has been arrested amid her hospitalization on grounds of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, according to authorities. She is currently at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center with “moderate” injuries.

The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office will have final say in regards to the charges.

Suspected of driving at speeds of at least 100mph, the drunk driver plowed through the busy intersection at around 1:40 p.m., reports the Los Angeles Sentinel, claiming the lives of six people, including a pregnant woman identified by the coroner’s office as Asherey Ryan, 23, and her infant son. ''

''Video of the crash was captured at nearby gas stations, where Linton’s Benz is seen flying past and immediately causing an explosion as it hit the first two cars at a stand still, sending multiple people and a baby through their windshields, and even tearing one car completely in half. A streak of flames was left in place of where the cars stood.''
Thanks for starting this thread, @dotr

I haven't seen any. If the "drunk driver" headline is based upon the words of a friend or witness at the scene, I think that's a premature conclusion. Something horrible happened, but I think even a drunk person would reflexively break when seeing an intersection full of cars three lanes deep. I really hope there is some other explanation. MOO
BIBM I saw the vid and thought the same thing. That car was flying, 100 MPH+, and there were no skid marks, nor breaking of any kind, that I could see. I am not ready to accept DUI until I see a charge. Not that it can't happen, I just haven't seen the charge yet.

The driver of the dark Mercedes-Benz vehicle in Thursday afternoon’s incident, identified by police as a woman who is a nurse and is in her 40s, now faces charges of vehicular manslaughter and gross negligence, according to Fox LA.
Driver in Los Angeles crash that killed 6 arrested, charged with vehicular manslaughter, gross negligence

Odds Favor Drunk Trauma Victims
A study in the journal American Surgeon finds that trauma victims who were inebriated at the time of their injury have higher survival rates than their sober counterparts. Rachel Kremen reports

A retrospective study of nearly 8,000 trauma patients found that seven percent of people who came in sober died of their injuries, while those who were hurt while drunk only died one percent of the time. A positive blood alcohol level seemed to increase the likelihood of survival, even after the researchers took into account the age of the patient and the severity of the injury. Trauma patients who came in to the hospital drunk were discharged sooner, too.

My father fell from a great height while drunk and had only a sprained ankle. Doctors couldn't believe it.

Part of why this happens is because being drunk relaxes your body. You tense up when you're getting hurt, but being drunk kinda counteracts that, and I guess it helps. (from what I was told by dad's doc at the time)

I really hope this woman gets adequate consequences. That poor woman & her little baby, as well as her unborn son. So sad for all victims involved. People drive so recklessly and it's wild to me.

One of the pictures in this article show the drive sitting on the curb after the crash.

I think she was on the phone with her boyfriend and just blew through the intersection, perhaps impaired and distracted.

JMO

Last edited:
Another fiery crash caused by a speeding lunatic. Mother and daughter killed, as well as the perpetrator.
What is going on these days.....
Even in my quiet area, there are seemingly daily vehicular accidents.

$2,000,000 bail

Why such a high bail? I wonder if she is exhibiting some behaviours that make her a real flight risk, rather than the sobered-up responsible ICU nurse she had been prior to this incident.

$2,000,000 bail

Why such a high bail? I wonder if she is exhibiting some behaviours that make her a real flight risk, rather than the sobered-up responsible ICU nurse she had been prior to this incident.
I imagine it's due to the severity of the crime. She killed 6 people and I'm sure they don't want to risk her getting behind the wheel again. I'd bet she'll never work as an RN again. CA board of registered nursing will pull her license but they may need to wait until she's convicted.
Edited. I just remembered she is from Texas. Is that correct? I'm not sure what the rules are with the Texas Board of Registered Nursing but I bet it similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also add that ICU nursing can be an extremely stressful job, especially if you are having to do long shift (like 10-12 hours) or do extra shifts because of staffing problems. Also, the emotional trauma of dealing with desperately ill people takes it's toll, especially if one of them passes and you have bonded with that person and /or their family.

None of this makes the crime any less awful or brings back those killed or injured in this incident. None of this will change her culpability in th

$2,000,000 bail

She killed 6 people and injured 8--- bail is just right- she might as well have shot them with a gun!

I imagine it's due to the severity of the crime. She killed 6 people and I'm sure they don't want to risk her getting behind the wheel again. I'd bet she'll never work as an RN again. CA board of registered nursing will pull her license but they may need to wait until she's convicted.
Edited. I just remembered she is from Texas. Is that correct? I'm not sure what the rules are with the Texas Board of Registered Nursing but I bet it similar.
Yes, she is from Houston. She is /was an ICU traveling nurse, who took jobs in various states on temporary bases. A traveling nurse is a very lucrative position because it pays exceeding well. However you have to accept not having a stable residence because of the constant moves.
Daughter is an ER nurse. Several in her field have switched to being traveling nurses, due to the pay. They can make up to $10,000 a week depending upon location and conditions.

She killed 6 people and injured 8--- bail is just right- she might as well have shot them with a gun!
LA County is currently has quite a back log. I image it will take a while for her trial to start. @gitana1 Do you think she will be held at Sybil Brand Institute until trial?
Wherever she is held, it won't be easy for her. Other incarcerated women really dislike prisoners who have killed children.

Yes, she is from Houston. She is /was an ICU traveling nurse, who took jobs in various states on temporary bases. A traveling nurse is a very lucrative position because it pays exceeding well. However you have to accept not having a stable residence because of the constant moves.
Daughter is an ER nurse. Several in her field have switched to being traveling nurses, due to the pay. They can make up to $10,000 a week depending upon location and conditions.
I understand. I'm retired now but I worked with many traveling nurses during my time as an RN in L&D. ;)
We were pretty regularly short staffed and I don't know what we would have done without the traveling nurses.

I just keep thinking....as a nurse, she HAD to have taken care of at least some patients who were victims of drunk drivers. I can't think she would have gotten out of clinicals without doing so. And.....knowing what she HAD to know, she STILL does this. Unbelievable.

I just keep thinking....as a nurse, she HAD to have taken care of at least some patients who were victims of drunk drivers. I can't think she would have gotten out of clinicals without doing so. And.....knowing what she HAD to know, she STILL does this. Unbelievable.

Working as an ICU RN, especially as a traveller, is a high-stress job. People often compartmentalize issues in their jobs just to get the work done.

She likely could compartmentalize the job enough to be able to consume and drive without linking it to what happened to her patients.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back