Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It was scary because my baby was home," Sarah Bixler Pierce said as she held her young baby. "It was kind of chaos. There was an ambulance, the fire had been extinguished at this point."

Pierce shared that she spoke with a firefighter on the scene that said a woman "had driven her car at like 100 mph through the trees and into that house."

Symptoms of Psychosis
  • A drop in grades or job performance.
  • Trouble thinking clearly or concentrating.
  • Suspiciousness or unease around others.
  • Lack of self-care or hygiene.
  • Spending more time alone than usual.
  • Stronger emotions than situations call for.
  • No emotions at all.
Her previous (and most likely current) mental health issues have more to do with her childhood. I'd guess the drug and alcohol use is to dull the pain. JMO

To clarify, the above is not DSM criteria for psychosis (this is what I do for a living). "Stronger emotions than situations call for" is a huge huh from me? It's just not an accurate symptom. Can people with psychosis have stronger emotions? Sure. As can people who are not psychosis. There is nothing in the pathophysiology of psychosis that triggers that, unless the person is paranoid and paranoia can be a symptom of psychosis. But I would not expect to see be the cause of someone flailing about after being burned. What's a million times more likely is that she was flailing about because she was burned.

I agree that her mental health issues are likely secondary to her childhood issues, but the distinction I was making was between an organic psychotic illness vs a substance-induced one. I don't think we'll ever really know. There are also a number of mental health conditions that can lead to psychotic episodes that aren't schizophrenia, like depression or personality disorders which are sometimes the result of childhood abuse.

Minus the drugs and alcohol, what you described is very much inline with her autobiography. She seems to have had at least one other episode of psychosis. (Read at link.) Can someone weigh in here? Maybe you @LaborDayRN ? TIA

I've been surprised. Some people seem ready to string her up, and we still don't know if a medical event caused the accident. We have no idea what caused it. JMOO

Some have commented that driving recklessly equates to pointing a loaded gun, or something along those lines. But when it's pointed out that we've all driven recklessly at one point or another, then they seem to want to elucidate a hierarchy of nuanced infractions. But the end result is the same, reckless driving.

IMOO, it's time to be grateful no one else was hurt, and wish this woman well as she walks the very long road stretching out ahead of her.

And, no, I'd never advocate for driving distracted in any manner. I think I'll just reserve judgment and be glad that no one was lost that day. JMOO, 2 cents, and all that jazz.

Reckless driving has a legal definition and I don't believe that most people are guilty of it. Turning radio dials or dropping something on the floor are not reckless driving in and of themselves. JMO.

With that said, I still have compassion for Anne. I really hope this turns out NOT to be related to substance. I hope she pulls through and gets help for whatever was the cause of her behavior after the first crash and whatever led to the second. I also hope the woman who lost everything is compensated and can start over with a strong support system and, hopefully, minimal trauma.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the home will be rebuilt and her things replaced. I can't imagine Heche not being insured well enough to cover that.

I'm just so glad that the woman and her dogs are safe.

I hope you're right, but I still feel for the woman. Some things can't be replaced. I'm sure most of us have a lot of momentos, things from loved ones who've passed or things from our childhood we were hoping to pass on to our own children or grandchildren. Those things are gone forever and no amount of money will bring them back.

I saw the Ring Camera of her speeding down the street - right before crashing into the house. Her car was going incredibly fast. She had absolutely NO business being behind the wheel of a car in her condition (whatever it was). No one should EVER be driving that fast through a residential neighborhood. She should have gotten out of the car after the first crash, and then the second one wouldn't have occurred. I suspect she was worried about getting cited after the first crash, which is why she sped off at that point.

I also echo another poster that people need to put themselves in the place of the homeowner. How would you feel if you were home minding your business, and some entitled celebrity <modsnip> crashed their car through your living room & almost through your entire house- resulting in your home being uninhabitable for who knows how long?! Terrible!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you're right, but I still feel for the woman. Some things can't be replaced. I'm sure most of us have a lot of momentos, things from loved ones who've passed or things from our childhood we were hoping to pass on to our own children or grandchildren. Those things are gone forever and no amount of money will bring them back.
I’ve lost everything too a natural disaster. Sure, the grief was awful at first. But they were things. Just things. Irreplaceable, yes. But my children were still with me. The stuff wasn’t. So……new pictures started, no old pictures to show, but plenty of old stories to tell.

I saw the Ring Camera of her speeding down the street - right before crashing into the house. Her car was going incredibly fast. She had absolutely NO business being behind the wheel of a car in her condition (whatever it was). No one should EVER be driving that fast through a residential neighborhood. She should have gotten out of the car after the first crash, and then the second one wouldn't have occurred. I suspect she was worried about getting cited after the first crash, which is why she sped off at that point.

I also echo another poster that people need to put themselves in the place of the homeowner. How would you feel if you were home minding your business, and some entitled celebrity <modsnip> crashed their car through your living room & almost through your entire house- resulting in your home being uninhabitable for who knows how long?! Terrible!!!

Look at it in a different way - anyone who is not in a good control of own faculties, for whatever reason, can hit your house, full-speed on a drive through street. But if it is destined to happen, it’d better be an ex-celebrity than someone uninsured. And, good that it was not on the hottest day, so that the fire could be put off rather fast and not spread around.

I hope it is allowed to post an article that was published about a month before the accident. Her life, her relationships. Financially, it hasn’t been easy for her, either.

I personally think she deserves her license being taken away AND jail time.I hope she is sued.I have no pity for her.Sorry..but NO!

She looks like she's on something in this video. What she's saying is interesting it's just her delivery. All JMO

Hard to tell because she always sounds the same - rapid speech, good humor but somewhat tangential. That she has a mental illness, she openly acknowledges, and it runs in her family; about the substances, she is rather more than less open, and these issues might be just self-medicating. From what I remember, she was honest about her problems. One thing: I don’t believe she had vodka in her car, as alcohol is horribly flammable. Now, she is probably in severe pain, extensive burns are no fun. So obviously, everyone feels compassionate, although it was her doing.

I’ve lost everything too a natural disaster. Sure, the grief was awful at first. But they were things. Just things. Irreplaceable, yes. But my children were still with me. The stuff wasn’t. So……new pictures started, no old pictures to show, but plenty of old stories to tell.
This wasn’t a natural disaster.

Would the general public be as supportive of an everyday citizen who was responsible for such destruction? Doubtful. She endangered people’s lives. She gets no passes from me, whether she’s had a troubled life or not.

Would the general public be as supportive of an everyday citizen who was responsible for such destruction? Doubtful. She endangered people’s lives. She gets no passes from me, whether she’s had a troubled life or not.
Very good point. I am very curious about the first accident and if that had any impact on the second one. Her reaction to someone trying to help her when she hit the garages was panic. JMO

I think it’s possible to have compassion for both of these women. Obviously the woman who lost her home is probably traumatized and angry—rightfully so. I would be angry too, and I think a lawsuit is appropriate. And I’m sure if AH survives as expected she will be charged with crimes—especially if she was intoxicated at the time. I don’t see that she’s getting any special treatment at this time. I know they said they weren’t able to do drug testing immediately, but I will be surprised that they didn’t do testing after that. We just may have not been made aware of that yet. I do have compassion for AH too. For the troubles she’s had that led to this. She is not well, and she is going to have an extremely tough road ahead. Unless she’s a mean spirited, narcissistic person, which I have not heard about her, I have to feel compassion for her tormented soul. I don’t think this has to be an either/or. It’s terrible for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak