ME ME - Thomas Grant Jacoby, 18, sent letter after missing, Millinocket, August 1991

I found a couple UID's from Maine

A skull found on June 9, 2007 in Aurora, Hancock county, Maine
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A femur found on
December 23, 1991 in Stonington, Hancock county, Maine

(Hancock county is about 4 hours or less from Millinocket Lake)

A jaw bone was found June 2004 near a campsite outside of Baxter State Park. I couldn't find a Doe Network or NamUs case file for these remains.
Park bone fragment part of human’s jaw

Last edited:
Missing teen still baffles police Man fled from Pa. to Maine in 1991

His family did alot to try and locate him. Can someone submit his case to the Doe Network and NamUs?

What's interesting is another young man, Christopher Thomas Knight, went missing into the woods of Maine in 1986. He was discovered in 2013 that he had been living in the woods alone all those years.
Thanks for the link, what a fascinating story. I wonder how many others like CTK there are out there. Maybe some of our missing?

I found a couple UID's from Maine

A femur found on

(Hancock county is about 4 hours or less from Millinocket Lake)

A jaw bone was found June 2004 near a campsite outside of Baxter State Park. I couldn't find a Doe Network or NamUs case file for these remains.

Back in the mid 90s, I stumbled across a flyer for Thomas. Not sure where I got it from, if it was left on my car or if it came through the mail (I live in Maine). Held onto it for years. This was years before I got a computer.
The article referencing the jaw bone found in Baxter State Park mentions Thomas specifically. So, I hope he would be first one they compared it to (if possible). Then Jessie Hoover.
But where both of those folks are still listed as missing, I'm thinking they've been ruled out. The folks who were around when both went missing are still around and both would be on someone's radar of possible matches. It's also possible the reason the remains aren't listed in NamUs is they have since been identified, only there was no follow up as to whom it was.

Last edited:
Hi all. Never posted before, but came across an Unidentified person that could line up with Thomas, and wanted to get opinions, as he has not been excluded in NamUs. Its not a perfect match, but intriguing.

Essex County John Doe (1992)

The person was found in Newburyport, MA in November 1992, right off of Route 95. Thought to have died 1-5 years prior. Although Millinocket is about 4 hours away, it too is right off of 95. 95 is also the route that would’ve gone through Portland, ME and probably how you’d get back to PA. Height, race, age all match. The person is noted to have had a painful dental issue and the file says “no indication that he ever received any dental treatment.” Not sure exactly what that means, but Thomas seems like a person who’d been to a dentist in his life, so that may be inconsistent. I’ve attached a side by side of Thomas and the reconstruction of the Unidentified person. If you keep in mind that hair color and eye color were unknown, I actually think the features are pretty similar. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 8053A43C-3174-4C13-A86F-A10CFC1AA48C.jpeg
    8053A43C-3174-4C13-A86F-A10CFC1AA48C.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 39
Hi all. Never posted before, but came across an Unidentified person that could line up with Thomas, and wanted to get opinions, as he has not been excluded in NamUs. Its not a perfect match, but intriguing.

Essex County John Doe (1992)

The person was found in Newburyport, MA in November 1992, right off of Route 95. Thought to have died 1-5 years prior. Although Millinocket is about 4 hours away, it too is right off of 95. 95 is also the route that would’ve gone through Portland, ME and probably how you’d get back to PA. Height, race, age all match. The person is noted to have had a painful dental issue and the file says “no indication that he ever received any dental treatment.” Not sure exactly what that means, but Thomas seems like a person who’d been to a dentist in his life, so that may be inconsistent. I’ve attached a side by side of Thomas and the reconstruction of the Unidentified person. If you keep in mind that hair color and eye color were unknown, I actually think the features are pretty similar. Thoughts?

While this could be a possibility, the NamUs profile is saying this UID is between the ages of 11-14.The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I also noticed this on the NamUs profile: Dark, polo-style shirt, synthetic; elastic waist band from cotton underwear; pockets from Levi jeans (W32 L30)

If Thomas was between 5'10-5'11, the Levi Jeans 32/30 I would think would be for someone a little shorter, My husband is 5'10 and wears a 32 length and my son is 5'8 and wears a 30 length. - Just an observation..

It can't hurt to turn it in though, he isn't on the rule out list.

Yea, I noticed that too. One of the problems with this UID is that the age has been truly all over the place. Some reports say 11-14, others say 14-17, and some <20. Very confusing. Rule outs have been between 16-23. Good point about the pants that I didn’t even think about. Did a little googling–5’10” maybe is more likely to wear a 32L, but there are some who wear 30L. What did you think about the picture? Do you see any similarity? Thanks for the reply!

Yea, I noticed that too. One of the problems with this UID is that the age has been truly all over the place. Some reports say 11-14, others say 14-17, and some <20. Very confusing. Rule outs have been between 16-23. Good point about the pants that I didn’t even think about. Did a little googling–5’10” maybe is more likely to wear a 32L, but there are some who wear 30L. What did you think about the picture? Do you see any similarity? Thanks for the reply!

I did see the age was all over the place - it's crazy how these websites can have the physical characteristics about the same UID. I do see a resemblance, turn it in. Like I said it can't hurt. Please keep us updated!!

Did you submit this to LE? I've been literally spending all of my time on the Essex County Doe so I'm really interested. I was told by the Forensic Odontologist that he would most likely be around 11-12 years old despite what Namus Stated. But I find that conflicting when looking at the pant/shoe sizes on the UID which makes him seem a lot bigger. Please let me know anything else you're thinking, I'm constantly over on the 1070UMMA board bumping and talking to next to nobody about this so I'm happy to see other interest. I feel like the noses here are SO similar, as well as the location if we speculate maybe he was trying to go back home!

While this could be a possibility, the NamUs profile is saying this UID is between the ages of 11-14.The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I also noticed this on the NamUs profile: Dark, polo-style shirt, synthetic; elastic waist band from cotton underwear; pockets from Levi jeans (W32 L30)

If Thomas was between 5'10-5'11, the Levi Jeans 32/30 I would think would be for someone a little shorter, My husband is 5'10 and wears a 32 length and my son is 5'8 and wears a 30 length. - Just an observation..

It can't hurt to turn it in though, he isn't on the rule out list.

So many possibilities when you look at pant sizes. My ex is 5'11 and wears a 38/32. My husband now is 6'2 and wears a 38/32. Proportions and comfort play a big role.. Both seem proportional me.

So many possibilities when you look at pant sizes. My ex is 5'11 and wears a 38/32. My husband now is 6'2 and wears a 38/32. Proportions and comfort play a big role.. Both seem proportional me.
Especially when we look at it through the era that these does were thought to exist in, where high top sneakers and longer, rolled up pants were the trend. This could've been a great match but unfortunately I see the discrepancies in the access to dental treatment, as well as the indicated dental age as the reason that they wouldn't be a match.

As a guy who wore a lot of Levi's in the 90s, I would say their sizing was quite variable. It depended on the style, straight cut or pre-washed may have had two quite different fits f0r the same size. You just had to try them on and see.

As a guy who wore a lot of Levi's in the 90s, I would say their sizing was quite variable. It depended on the style, straight cut or pre-washed may have had two quite different fits f0r the same size. You just had to try them on and see.
And black jeans, for some reason, seemed to run smaller. Plus in the 90s you had those loose fitting silver tabs, iirc.

Lol, the Jean size definitely varies but based off of forensic odontology reports 1070UMMA was definitely between 11-13 years old, and on top of that the issue about the non fused bone shafts (where fusing occurs before the age of 18) makes this pretty apparent that our MP is not the aforementioned UID. That being said I appreciate the awareness that is being spread but my guess would be that the MP either restarted somewhere else or died somewhere on the Appalachian Trail and is potentially a Ben Bilemy type of Doe somewhere.

Hi. Yes, I submitted it to NamUs a few months ago. No exclusion has been made since. They told me that they would review the submitted information and notify the investigating agencies for their consideration. They mentioned too that results of comparisons may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons.

I never spoke to LE agencies directly. Maybe you can share the photo comparison linked if you are in contact? Although if you’ve spoken to an expert on the case who is pretty sure about the age then that seems like pretty good evidence to indicate this isn’t a match.

Whoever the Essex Co John Doe is - it’s nice to see that they have someone invested in who they were/what happened to them.

I spoke with the ME's office awhile back about this UID. I can confirm there's DNA on file for him.
There were two other sets of remains found around the same time as these. While I do not know if this UID has DNA on file I do know there has been speculation were on WS that these remains belong to 3 fisherman that were lost at sea
' Thread ME - Hancock Co, 3 sets of remains (& PMs), pulled up by a scallop dragger, Dec'91
A femur found on

I've never heard of this case. I will reach out to the ME's office in the morning to see if these remains were ever identified

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back