CA - Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, speeds through intersection kills 6, including pregnant woman in fiery crash, Los Angeles, 4 Aug. '22

Working as an ICU RN, especially as a traveller, is a high-stress job. People often compartmentalize issues in their jobs just to get the work done.

She likely could compartmentalize the job enough to be able to consume and drive without linking it to what happened to her patients.
I guess that's what she must have done, that's just so bizarre to me. I have a medical adjacent job that's plenty stressful and I can't say I've ever had the urge to do that, but everyone is different.

Interesting comment from a bystander about Linton's vehicle just prior to the crash:

"Before the crash, Sanchez heard the scraping sound of the car coming down the hill.

“You hear the tires grinding,” Sanchez said. “The sound stuck with me.”

What would that mean? Could it have been a mechanical failure or some kind of a sabotage?

This is my neighborhood. We are all shaken up over here. I will reserve judgment too, but she definitely didn't fall asleep, the car was going too straight. Also, what was that hanging out the window? Very weird.

I'm curious about that grinding sound too. The woman in the video that gets out of her car heard something too, she turns and looks and then the car comes flying into the frame.

Last edited:
Part of why this happens is because being drunk relaxes your body. You tense up when you're getting hurt, but being drunk kinda counteracts that, and I guess it helps. (from what I was told by dad's doc at the time)

That's what I've read somewhere else too.

When you anticipate a crash (or other injury) is about to happen, you naturally tense up. But, severely drunk people don't, allowing them to "flow" with the movement of whatever is happening. So, in a car crash, say, you'd tense up & break some bones because you had your arms and/or legs tensed rigidly, perhaps even braced on something like the dashboard or floor. The impact will snap them. However, if you didn't tense & your body stayed relaxed/moved with the impact, your limbs would sling back & forth but are not as likely to snap them because they're moving flexibly instead of being held rigidly.

I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but that's the gist of what I read.

MOO.

I imagine it's due to the severity of the crime. She killed 6 people and I'm sure they don't want to risk her getting behind the wheel again. I'd bet she'll never work as an RN again. CA board of registered nursing will pull her license but they may need to wait until she's convicted.
Edited. I just remembered she is from Texas. Is that correct? I'm not sure what the rules are with the Texas Board of Registered Nursing but I bet it similar.
I looked her up yesterday. She holds a multistate license in Texas, then in California & Hawaii as well. All expire in 2023.

I have noticed more often than not the person who causes a horrible crash
Survives, while the innocent people who were struck, wind up maimed
Or dead.
When I was in college, I took EMT courses.
We were taught that people that are under the influence often survive because they are relaxed in the muscles . People that are not tend to tense and brace. When relaxed while inebriated, you tend to "bounce" instead of breaking.

JMO

This is my neighborhood. We are all shaken up over here. I will reserve judgment too, but she definitely didn't fall asleep, the car was going too straight. Also, what was that hanging out the window? Very weird.

I'm curious about that grinding sound too. The woman in the video that gets out of her car heard something too, she turns and looks and then the car comes flying into the frame.
Maybe speed caused her car to malfunction which caused the noise?

Just as a thought

If your accelerator pedal was jammed to the floor by some problem, is there a way to turn the engine off to stop the vehicle?
I googled:

If your accelerator gets stuck down, do the following:
  1. Shift to neutral.
  2. Apply the brakes.
  3. Keep your eyes on the road and look for a way out.
  4. Warn other drivers by blinking and flashing your hazard lights.
  5. Try to drive the car safely off the road.
  6. Turn off the ignition when you no longer need to change direction.
and here: 8 quick steps to take if your gas pedal sticks | State Farm®

Though if one panics.....might not do anything

Cars are also engineered with higher resilience to head on collisions than from side impacts since the majority of serious accidents are head on or, more precisely, small to medium overlap collisions.

As far as the "grinding" if she'd just crested a hill or hit the bottom of a hill that was not rated for high speeds, inertia can push the car down enough that the undercarriage drags. A mechanical failure that would cause a throttle to be stuck wide open would not cause grinding, partly because mechanical failures causing wide open throttle aren't really a thing and even if they were you could just turn off the ignition.

I think these preliminary charges are just to arrest her and begin the investigation.

The examination of the accident will (hopefully, IMHO) bring additional charges.

The excessive speed, the lack of proper attention to traffic signals, the alleged intoxication, possibly on her phone Face-Timing, and other issues will hopefully increase the charges against her.

I feel she should spend the next several decades of her life in prison.
She should get the death penalty. Unfortunately, California never carries it out even when it's imposed.

I googled:

If your accelerator gets stuck down, do the following:
  1. Shift to neutral.
  2. Apply the brakes.
  3. Keep your eyes on the road and look for a way out.
  4. Warn other drivers by blinking and flashing your hazard lights.
  5. Try to drive the car safely off the road.
  6. Turn off the ignition when you no longer need to change direction.
and here: 8 quick steps to take if your gas pedal sticks | State Farm®

Though if one panics.....might not do anything
There have been cases of truck drivers sacrificing themselves in order to avoid killing others when their brakes failed. Here's one example:

"Fraley had known that traveling the hill was dangerous and had discussed what he would do if the brakes went out many times previous to the tragedy.

Fraley had said he would jump out of the truck at the creek and get under the bridge there.

Capps said witnesses near the crash saw Fraley outside of the truck cab on the running boards of the truck, but Fraley got back into the truck after seeing a group of four children at the intersection of Choctaw and Water Avenue.

'Clyde saw the four of those kids and got back in the truck,” said Capps. “There wasn’t any doubt in his mind when he saw those kids.'”

Source:

There have been cases of truck drivers sacrificing themselves in order to avoid killing others when their brakes failed. Here's one example:

"Fraley had known that traveling the hill was dangerous and had discussed what he would do if the brakes went out many times previous to the tragedy.

Fraley had said he would jump out of the truck at the creek and get under the bridge there.

Capps said witnesses near the crash saw Fraley outside of the truck cab on the running boards of the truck, but Fraley got back into the truck after seeing a group of four children at the intersection of Choctaw and Water Avenue.

'Clyde saw the four of those kids and got back in the truck,” said Capps. “There wasn’t any doubt in his mind when he saw those kids.'”

Source:
Wow. What a selfless hero!!

This woman didn't even honk!
If there had been any kind of mechanical issue she would at the least see what was ahead of her and honk.
I think she was completely distracted and oblivious, by what I don't know.

Could it have been a medical situation? Stroke, passing out, cardiac arrest...whatever?
But she was seen sitting on the curb.

This woman didn't even honk!
If there had been any kind of mechanical issue she would at the least see what was ahead of her and honk.
I think she was completely distracted and oblivious, by what I don't know.

Could it have been a medical situation? Stroke, passing out, cardiac arrest...whatever?
But she was seen sitting on the curb.
I agree. If it was a stroke, passing out, cardiac arrest her foot would not be able to press on the pedal.

The sister of a woman killed in a multi-car crash last week has offered words of forgiveness for the driver held responsible for the collision.

Investigators arrested Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, a registered nurse, in connection with Thursday’s high-speed crash in Windsor Hills, which left five people dead. Asherey Ryan, a 23-year-old pregnant woman, was among the victims, along with her 1-year-old son and boyfriend. Only Ryan has officially been identified by the coroner.

“I just want to tell her that we forgive her,” Sha’seana Kerr, Ryan’s sister, told KTLA on Saturday while gathered with family and friends at the crash site. “She will have to live with this for the rest of her life. That’s why she was spared. We understand it already.”

This is heartbreaking. Bless this family.

The sister of a woman killed in a multi-car crash last week has offered words of forgiveness for the driver held responsible for the collision.

Investigators arrested Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, a registered nurse, in connection with Thursday’s high-speed crash in Windsor Hills, which left five people dead. Asherey Ryan, a 23-year-old pregnant woman, was among the victims, along with her 1-year-old son and boyfriend. Only Ryan has officially been identified by the coroner.

“I just want to tell her that we forgive her,” Sha’seana Kerr, Ryan’s sister, told KTLA on Saturday while gathered with family and friends at the crash site. “She will have to live with this for the rest of her life. That’s why she was spared. We understand it already.”

This is heartbreaking. Bless this family.

That is true compassion and empathy. Wow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back