Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I take it that the Petito's won't be "grilling" the Laundries after all.
Just a provocative headline in that Radar article.

The mood I'm in I actually found that funny. I get off work late, come home and get right on WS. So I needed that laugh.

OT: I'm a nutrition educator. There is a fat binder in my office titled I Cook 4-H.

A visitor once remarked "oh so that's why you all hold summer camp, eh???"

I said "oh heck no, we started with administrators."

Actually, I only cook traditional foods, but did enjoy that grilling headline. Wonder if that word choice increased the clicks?

jmho ymmv lrr

OT: I'm a nutrition educator. There is a fat binder in my office titled I Cook 4-H.

A visitor once remarked "oh so that's why you all hold summer camp, eh???"

I said "oh heck no, we started with administrators."

Actually, I only cook traditional foods, but did enjoy that grilling headline. Wonder if that word choice increased the clicks?

jmho ymmv lrr
Ever see the Twilight Zone episode "How to Serve Man"?

So I take it that the Petito's won't be "grilling" the Laundries after all.
Just a provocative headline in that Radar article.
The mood I'm in I actually found that funny. I get off work late, come home and get right on WS. So I needed that laugh.
With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

About the only accurate fact in the radar online link is that a deposition has been requested.

Obviously the lawyers will be asking the questions. Unless there is evidence about which we don't know, the Laundrie's will not be asked about details of the murder.

Gabby Petito's family files $50 million wrongful death suit against Utah police​

Gabby Petito's family has filed a lawsuit against police in Moab, Utah, accusing them of negligence that resulted in the 22-year-old's death last year. They are seeking $50 million in damages.

Actually, this is a notification of a claim, not the actual lawsuit.

Apparently, in Utah, if suing the state or a state employee, a claim must be filed within one year (August 12th will be the one year anniversary).

I looked up the applicable code: GOVERNMENTAL IMMUNITY ACT (an abridged version)

which states
§ 63-30-13. Claim against political subdivision or its employee -- Time for filing notice

A claim against a political subdivision, or against its employee for an act or omission occurring during the performance of the employee's duties, within the scope of employment, or under color of authority, is barred unless notice of claim is filed with the governing body of the political subdivision according to the requirements of Section 63-30-11 within one year after the claim
arises, or before the expiration of any extension of time granted under Section 63-30-11, regardless of whether or not the function giving rise to the claim is characterized as governmental.

This link includes a copy of the filing:

Gabby Petito's family has filed a lawsuit against police in Moab, Utah, accusing them of negligence that resulted in the 22-year-old's death last year. They are seeking $50 million in damages.

Those cops did everything right as far as I'm concerned. The only one responsible for her death is Brian Laundrie.

<modsnip: Not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Attorneys hired by Petito's parents allege that the officers "failed in their duty to protect Gabby.
The US Supreme Court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens who are forced to pay the police for their "services."

In the cases DeShaney vs. Winnebago and Town of Castle Rock vs. Gonzales, the supreme court has ruled that police agencies are not obligated to provide protection of citizens. In other words, police are well within their rights to pick and choose when to intervene to protect the lives and property of others — even when a threat is apparent.

MOO of this latest legal claim.

The Petitos don't want $$$$.
They want CHANGE

This latest filed claim will result in more media coverage, causing more folks to talk, and maybe then some CHANGE can come about.

DV is real

RIP Gabby

I remember that Gabby was on the phone with her mother when she was sitting in the officers patrol car and LE was talking to Brian. JMO

If they had arrested Gabby that day someone in her family would have probably flown out to help her and this probably would have ended differently. And to be candid the L's could sue also.

JMO

BTW, the lawyers involved also represented Lauren McClusky's family in a lawsuit.

Although the article implies the reason for the settlement was that the university failed to protect her, a significant component of the LM case was that an officer shared "compromising" photos of the victim which were being used to blackmail her to officers not involved with the case.

Exactly. It had been my impression the P's didn't know about the incident until much later but apparently that wasn't true. They knew at the time. Hmm.
Right. I remember this being discussed and I thought somewhere I saw NS say that GP didn't call her during the Moab incident, even though the ranger stated on the video that GP was calling her parents.

Actually, this is a notification of a claim, not the actual lawsuit.

Apparently, in Utah, if suing the state or a state employee, a claim must be filed within one year (August 12th will be the one year anniversary).

I looked up the applicable code: GOVERNMENTAL IMMUNITY ACT (an abridged version)

which states

This link includes a copy of the filing:
Also in this link, SB says BL never told his parents about the Moab stop.

"Steve Bertolino, an attorney for Laundrie’s parents, said their son had not told them about the Moab incident, and they only learned of it when Fox News Digital exposed the Moab 911 call last September."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288