Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodni’s silver Honda CRV is not known to have any stickers or identifiable scratches or dents. Smith said Rodni carried a key chain that had on it a Zumiez brand metal reusable straw holder, described as a “small metal black cylinder that says ‘Zumiez’ on it.” Rodni’s cell phone, described as a black iPhone with a Sex Wax brand sticker on the back, is also missing. It has been out of service since the time she disappeared.

“I can’t get it out of my head. That’s why I’m here, because you just feel like you want to do something, anything,” said Cindy Shippy, owner of Chá Fine Teas of Truckee, where Rodni works. “She’s a strong [young woman]. She really is. She’s a strong personality. And … my only hope is she’s somewhere where we’ve just got to find her, because she would be tough wherever she is … She was the girl that all of her friends came to for strength and I’m sure her friends are completely devastated.”

Truckee mom April Cole came by the tent to offer her assistance in obtaining food and beverages for the volunteers. She’s got a son the same age as Rodni but who was not in attendance at the party.

“He wasn’t [there] but he woke up in the morning and he was like, ‘Oh my God, this party was crazy. And there’s a girl missing.’ And I just … it felt so close to home,” Cole said.

ETA: Sounds like the boy heard or saw something from friends/social media perhaps that the party was crazy. Could be because there were way more people who attended, than had been planned.

Do any locals know where the parking area is in relation to where the party was? Just wondering if it was a long walk away and so something could have happened to her walking back to her car in the dark, alone, if many party goers had left by then.
Not local, but Google says there is a road that loops around the camp sites and another that goes to the boat ramp. The map on the recreation.gov site is currently down.
Tahoe National Forest - Prosser Family Campground
.6F591DBD-2681-4C8A-8F6D-1BD3C6FB13BA.jpeg

Different photo of Kiely. She's almost 17.

Kiely-Rodni-556032.jpg

I have been wondering this from the beginning. Girl code would dictate... No girl left behind or left alone at a party or while intoxicated. It just seems so bizarre to me that her friend(s) didn't protect her while she was vulnerable.
It’s sad, but I get it. At 16/17, most of us didn’t realize who was more intoxicated than the other (IME, anyway). My friends and I always had plans to stick together, but often ended up separated….

JMO

‘She’s confident in the outdoors she grew up in this lodge that you have to snowmobile in and out of in the winter… she was a safe and confident driver. One time a year ago my daughter was ill and I asked can you bring her home and she said “no” because she had been drinking.

‘Her phone’s off, her credit card hasn’t been used, she didn’t take the cash that she knows her parents keep at home and nobody heard any whispers about her planning to leave.

‘She’s confident in the outdoors she grew up in this lodge that you have to snowmobile in and out of in the winter… she was a safe and confident driver. One time a year ago my daughter was ill and I asked can you bring her home and she said “no” because she had been drinking.

She is only 16, but, if what she said is true, last year this woman asked Kiely to bring her daughter home, but she said "no" because she had been drinking? Last year, would she even have been driving? And frankly, if she, and probably her friend as well, was already using alcohol then, she may have a problem, and may very well have been inebriated and/or high at the time of her disappearance. Praying for a good outcome here. JMO

It looks there is some water very close to Cold Stream Rd that she would have to navigate passed to get to her house. That area should be checked also.

View attachment 358501
This morning there was a CHP helicopter out over the Cold Creek Road area, and around the ponds closer to Interstate-80.

It traversed all of Cold Creek Road, and farther west and south, then returned along the route it came.

She is only 16, but, if what she said is true, last year this woman asked Kiely to bring her daughter home, but she said "no" because she had been drinking? Last year, would she even have been driving? And frankly, if she, and probably her friend as well, was already using alcohol then, she may have a problem, and may very well have been inebriated and/or high at the time of her disappearance. Praying for a good outcome here. JMO
agreed...

I went to daily mail and read this myself. Their reporting is notoriously misleading to be sensational but it sounds like Kiely's mom is saying that she was aware of Kiely drinking when she was 15 and considered her responsible about it?
I read it as well, and am pretty sure it is the mom's friend, who is also the mother of Kiely's friend, who said that. I still found it a disturbing comment, frankly. JMO

I read it as well, and am pretty sure it is the mom's friend, who is also the mother of Kiely's friend, who said that. I still found it a disturbing comment, frankly. JMO
It seemed weird that her mom would say "my daughter" rather than "her sister" but I'm picking up a certain brand of parent/teen culture.

She arrived at the party around 22.00hrs and when she went to her car with her friend Samantha to charge their phones, Sam said she was intoxicated and she wouldn't want Kiely to give her a ride home as planned.

So in just that 1 hour at the party, she had already had so much to drink she was over the limit.

Either that, or.....

maybe someone nefarious at this party slipped something inter her glass and she was drugged with something? Like a date-rape drug? Or other substance?

It was strange she had planned to drive herself home, yet allowed herself to get drunk.

Maybe she thought she'd sleep it off in the car?

.....and maybe she did that, because at 00.15hrs, she texted her mother to say she was coming home.
So, she must have sobered up somewhat if she managed a coherent text message.

It does concern me Kiely went to her car to charge her phone....that would indicate it was quite low on battery, and that's not the best situation to be in our there.

Also, if she arrived at 22.00hrs, and texted her mother to say she was leaving at 00.15hrs, then she was only at the party for just over 2 hours.
That's not a very long time. Did something happen to make her feel uncomfortable?

MOO.

She arrived at the party around 22.00hrs and when she went to her car with her friend Samantha to charge their phones, Sam said she was intoxicated and that Kiely wouldn't be able to give her a ride home as planned.

So in that 1 hour, she had already had so much to drink she was over the limit.

Either that, or.....

maybe someone nefarious at this party slipped something inter her glass and she has been drugged with something. Like a date-rape drug?

It was strange she had planned to drive home, yet allowed herself to get drunk.

Maybe she thought she'd sleep it off in the car?

Maybe she did, because at 09.15hrs, she texted her mother to say she was coming home.

So, she must have sobered up somewhat if she managed a coherent text message.

It does concern me Kiely went to her car to charge her phone....that would indicate it was quite low on battery, and not the best situation to be in.

Also if she arrived at 22.00hrs, and said to her mother she was leaving at 00.15hrs, then she was only at the party for just over 2 hours. That's not a very long time. Did something happen to make her feel uncomfortable?

MOO.
Right... When did this "party" begin? Was there a barbecue? Why did she and her friend arrive so late, in the dark? Why did she drive alone and not with friends? It must be pitch black there at night to navigate the route home. If these "events" routinely take place there, does LE just ignore them or do they pull cars over left and right for DUIs after the event disperses? The drinking age in CA is 21 so every single high school grad there who may have been drinking was doing so illegally. Who supplied it? What liability does the campground owner have or are these "get togethers" just so large and out of control there isn't anything they can do on their own?

I have been wondering this from the beginning. Girl code would dictate... No girl left behind or left alone at a party or while intoxicated. It just seems so bizarre to me that her friend(s) didn't protect her while she was vulnerable.
Right? We used that 45 years ago, my son and daughter used it 20 and 15 years ago.

Right... When did this "party" begin? Was there a barbecue? Why did she and her friend arrive so late, in the dark? Why did she drive alone and not with friends? It must be pitch black there at night to navigate the route home. If these "events" routinely take place there, does LE just ignore them or do they pull cars over left and right for DUIs after the event disperses? The drinking age in CA is 21 so every single high school grad there who may have been drinking was doing so illegally. Who supplied it? What liability does the campground owner have or are these "get togethers" just so large and out of control there isn't anything they can do on their own?
It looks like Truckee has less than 17,000 residents. Seems like the kind of small town where LE might not have the resources to break up teen parties or pull lots of people over for DUIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288