Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

I don't foresee the FSIN saying anything negative about Walker, they'll just stick their heels in deeper. It's their MO. Bobby hasn't come out to say anything since Friday though.

Like the Justin Smollett case and American racial tensions, Walker has just set back the MMIWG movement decades.

I think we should be cautious about assuming that Dawn Walker is a lawyer. We know that she has a Law degree and an English degree. Getting a Law degree does not make someone a lawyer.

The situation is confusing. On the one hand there is a child abductor who is presented as a victim. There is a 7 year old boy who appears to have been at the centre of an acrimonious custody dispute for four years. That's more than half of his life. There is deception and a staged disappearance that was interpreted by some as meaning the "domestic violent" former partner harmed her. The domestic violence allegations seemed to disappear after the child was located. There are new allegations about child neglect.

To make it more complicated, Dawn is described by the Indigenous community as a typical "missing" person in the "missing and murdered Indigenous women" conversation. That's an eyeopener for me. To add pressure to the custody dispute, Dawn's employer wants to get involved. It seems to be a situation that is escalating rather than de-escalating, which is the worst thing the parents could do to the child.
For some reason there is some kind of smoke and mirrors going on with those that are supporting her. DW kidnapped her child, faked his death, her death and had a plan to live her life in another country never looking back. She took the child away from his home, his family, his friends and his school. If that isn't domestic abuse I don't know what is.

BBM
“U.S. prosecutors filed a court document in Oregon on Monday arguing that Walker is a "flight risk and should be detained pending trial and her eventual extradition to Canada."

The prosecutors allege that Walker "kidnapped her child," faked her and her son's deaths, then fled to the U.S. as part of an "elaborate and well thought out plan."

"The defendant went to extreme efforts to steal identities for her and her son that allowed them to unlawfully enter the United States and hide; she hid and funnelled assets to accounts to fund her flight from the law," the document says.

A second document — an affidavit from an agent from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — alleges Walker stole the identities of a friend and that friend's son to open up a bank account, buy a vehicle and cross the border.”

BBM
“U.S. prosecutors filed a court document in Oregon on Monday arguing that Walker is a "flight risk and should be detained pending trial and her eventual extradition to Canada."

The prosecutors allege that Walker "kidnapped her child," faked her and her son's deaths, then fled to the U.S. as part of an "elaborate and well thought out plan."

"The defendant went to extreme efforts to steal identities for her and her son that allowed them to unlawfully enter the United States and hide; she hid and funnelled assets to accounts to fund her flight from the law," the document says.

A second document — an affidavit from an agent from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — alleges Walker stole the identities of a friend and that friend's son to open up a bank account, buy a vehicle and cross the border.”
I hope she is convicted in both countries and is sentenced to the max. I wish the police forces involved would go after her for the $$$ for the investigation. It's time taken away from people that needed help.

Aug 8 2022 Mickey Djuric
rbbm,
''The court documents allege Walker took the identities of a colleague and that colleague’s child to open a bank account, and she bought an SUV and drove across the border on July 23. Saskatoon police said she crossed the border south of Lethbridge, Alta., into Montana.

An affidavit from Clinton Lindsly, a special agent with Homeland Security, says Walker and her son’s biological father had been engaged in a lengthy custody dispute and she was supposed to return the boy on July 25.

Lindsly says in the document he told Walker, after her arrest, that “people presumed that she and her son died in the river, to which she spontaneously stated, ‘He doesn’t want to be with his father.”‘

''The documents say Walker has no ties to the U.S. and allege she funded her scheme through hidden financial accounts and assets totalling over $100,000.''

''Walker, who remains in custody, is to next appear in court in Oregon on Sept. 7. A defence lawyer believed to be representing Walker could not be reached for comment''.

“Investigators are looking at several different charges, and in relation to the false identity documents that were alluded to, and how she was able to prepare those documents.”

This started in January 2021 with Walker registering a company. There was $100,000 in the account for that company. Prior to June 2022 she had set up false identities, including birth certificates and false passports, for herself and her son using the names of her friend and the friend's son. In June, she began transferring money to bank accounts under her false identity.

"Walker is currently detained as a flight risk in the U.S., pending further legal proceedings.

The U.S. criminal complaint says Canadian officials originally believed Walker and Jansen were deceased after being swept away by the current in the river near Chief Whitecap Park in Saskatoon.

However, on Friday they found records from financial institutions that Walker used, the document states. One of the institutions found a business account for “Wapan Consulting” that listed Walker as the only authorized card holder.

Wapan Consulting was entered into the Saskatchewan Corporate Registry on Jan. 13, 2021 and is registered to a home in Saskatoon’s North Park neighbourhood. The latest public information has that home in Dawn Walker’s name. One website says the home has been for sale for roughly 80 days.

Investigators saw two large cheques written from Walker’s business account: $25,000 on June 2 and $52,000 on June 5, both paid to someone the document only refers to as “Adult Victim.” They’re signed with what appeared to be the name Walker, according to the document.

Canadian police met with “Adult Victim” to discuss the cheques later that day. The conversation revealed Walker is friends and works with her, and their children also played together. The woman said she had no knowledge of the cheques, the U.S. complaint states.

It says charges to the bank account for Airbnb rentals, food, gas, hotels and Netflix started on July 25. The locations start in Butte, Montana. Saskatoon police said Monday that Walker crossed the border in southern Alberta.

Looking through a large plastic binder found in the car, he recovered a genuine Saskatchewan birth certificate in the name of “Adult Victim,” a genuine Saskatchewan birth certificate in the name of the woman’s child, and a genuine Canadian passport in the name of the child but with a photo of Walker’s son, according to the document.

I think that Dawn Walker expected to get away with this. I don't think she ever expected to be found, or arrested for producing a false passport in a foreign country. I have to wonder whether she befriended a woman with a child of a similar age for the purpose of stealing their identifies. I'm curious whether she had access to personal information about the woman and child through her work with the FSIN, or whether she asked a lot of personal questions over time to obtain enough details to apply for birth certificates and passports.

Certainly a lot of planning went into this.

She’ll be charged with Identity Theft as well.

She has destroyed her life.

MOO
She has not yet been charged in Canada in relation to obtaining birth certificates and passports belonging to two other people. Those charges should come soon - that cannot be without consequences, or more people will do it.

Her actions show a cunning level of deceptiveness and deceitfulness, rather than sudden desperation IMO. Her ex is fortunate didn’t concoct convincing but false evidence against him in regard to her historic DV complaints to police.

What was the point of this escapade? To a new life under a different identity in the US, leaving her burden of shared custody in the past? What would it be like to instruct a 7 year old that his name isn’t his name anymore, that he’s not allowed any contact with his grandma, dad, friends or anyone from his prior life in Saskatoon?

AUG 9

The Saskatoon woman accused of staging the disappearance of herself and her son has issued a statement to CBC News from an Oregon jail.

Dawn Walker, 48, was the subject of an extensive missing persons search after she disappeared with her son about two weeks ago. She was found and arrested in Oregon City on Friday and has been detained in the U.S. since.

"I left Saskatoon because I feared for my safety and that of my son," Walker said in a written statement to CBC News. She didn't name the person she said she fears, but Walker has previously made domestic violence allegations against her ex, who is the father of her seven-year-old son.

More at https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/dawn-walker-statement-august-9-2022-1.6545882

AUG 9

The Saskatoon woman accused of staging the disappearance of herself and her son has issued a statement to CBC News from an Oregon jail.

Dawn Walker, 48, was the subject of an extensive missing persons search after she disappeared with her son about two weeks ago. She was found and arrested in Oregon City on Friday and has been detained in the U.S. since.

"I left Saskatoon because I feared for my safety and that of my son," Walker said in a written statement to CBC News. She didn't name the person she said she fears, but Walker has previously made domestic violence allegations against her ex, who is the father of her seven-year-old son.

More at https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/dawn-walker-statement-august-9-2022-1.6545882
No longer believing a word she says!

This statement, released by the Women Walking Together group, seems to suggest that custody laws are particularly challenging for successful women, like Dawn Walker, because she is metis. It's as though the group believes that Canadian parents, excluding Indigenous or Metis women, have an easy time with custody disputes. In truth, custody disputes are painful because all parents have to compromise to respect the best interests of the child. Sometimes, parents refuse to respect the rights of children and, instead, choose to abduct or murder them. It has nothing to do with heritage or nationality. They just don't like shared parenting.

“Many Indigenous women feel helpless within the current justice system and this is when they need strong support,” Okemaysim-Sicotte said, asking people to consider contributing to the campaign."

AUG 9

There's a lot of blaming going on here, and again we see the allegations of domestic violence and child neglect. She seems to justify her actions by claiming that joint legal custody between successful, accomplished, wealthy Metis women and white men operates outside the law.

"Walker said she was "failed by the Saskatchewan Justice system, the family law system and child protection."

She said she previously filed domestic abuse reports with Saskatoon police and RCMP and has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"The police services did nothing to assist me. I reported my concerns to the child protection authorities and again nothing was done. I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men," Walker said.

"So many women and children before us have had to run for their lives to protect their children. The SPS and RCMP only cared when they thought I was dead and the pressure they were under because of their blatant failures."

"Walker said she was "failed by the Saskatchewan Justice system, the family law system and child protection."

She said she previously filed domestic abuse reports with Saskatoon police and RCMP and has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"The police services did nothing to assist me. I reported my concerns to the child protection authorities and again nothing was done. I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men," Walker said.

"So many women and children before us have had to run for their lives to protect their children. The SPS and RCMP only cared when they thought I was dead and the pressure they were under because of their blatant failures."

Wow. I have no words. She is going to be a force to be reckoned with I think with no accountability forthcoming… I’m happy she and her son were found unharmed.

I really wanted to give this woman the benefit of the doubt, but after everything that has come out, she clearly planned this stunt far in advance and acted with malice. I'm honestly surprised that she didn't get further with $100k and two stolen identities. Obviously she didn't think this through very well.

Another affidavit related to Dawn Walker.

She must have lied about her age for some time since everyone reported that she is 48 years old. The affidavit states that she is age 40. Walker stole her work colleague's identity documents in April 2022, and used them to open a bank account in May 2022. In June she transferred money into the fake bank account. She had identity documents in their original envelop that were mailed to her colleague's home, and a forged document giving parental consent for the child to travel outside of the country. The abducted child provided a false passport at the border. She was arrested while driving away and leaving the 7 year old child alone in an Airbnb in Oregon City.

"Dawn Marie WALKER (date of birth XX/XX/82)."

"During the interview, investigators learned that Adult Victim was close friends with
WALKER and that they worked together."

"Records confirmed that this bank account was in fact in the name of Adult Victim and was opened on May 16, 2022. Adult Victim stated that she did not open this bank account but that she (Adult Victim) had their identity documents (Indian and Northern Affairs Canada Certificate of Indian Status card and Saskatchewan driver’s license) stolen in April 2022."

"The child individual who purported to be Minor Victim presented a Canadian passport in the name of Minor Victim with assigned passport number XXXXX223."

Concerned about the safety and welfare of the child, and the fact that she was appearing to leave the child alone, investigators used the Airbnb provided code to enter the Airbnb rental and located the child in the living room. Investigators then conducted a protective sweep of the Airbnb and located no additional occupants.

The birth certificates were in their original opened mail envelope, which was addressed to Adult Victim’s address. I also located a notarized letter titled “STATUTORY TRAVEL DECLARATION” that purported to provide travel authorization by Minor Victim’s father for Minor Victim to travel into the United States, which was dated on June 28, 2022."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back