Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you see this information? I just read the article and it's not in there. What is in there are multiple opportunities the officers had to get this right. Laundrie's story contradicted himself or didn't add up, the witnesses reported something different, it was clear to most of us who viewed that video what was going on and they missed it all. I'm not saying they could have prevented Gabby's death. But I am definitely saying that it's hard to come to grips with being abused, probably especially if law enforcement is telling you YOU are the aggressor. They just, imo, made it that much harder for her to reach out for help later.
The new filing also reveals that Petito called her parents during the stop, and they wanted her to fly home and get away from Laundrie. They even offered to pay for a ride to Salt Lake City and a flight home, but hearing that police were involved, they "accepted Gabby’s assurances that she would continue her trip," the document reads.

Maybe the female officer could have successfully convinced Gabby to leave the relationship if the officer had tried harder. It seems that the officer felt that she was overstepping her bounds.
I doubt it. Gabby seemed to not be convinced yet their dynamic was toxic. Eventually I think she would have been. If she had gotten her blog going, BL would have eventually been eating dust as she drove away.

I also don't think she was in a place yet to take good advice. Too young. Too naive. Not going to listen to a stranger. Not realizing she didn't need a partner, especially one who was unsupportive & too immature himself.

She had so much talent & promise. Sickening the way it was wiped out.

If Moab police had arrested BL for aggravated assault against Gabby how long would he have stayed in jail? Wouldn't he be eligible for bond and be out in a relatively short period of time? After the Moab incident she waited in Utah several days for him to return from Florida. I would say it's likely she would have waited for BL to get out of jail if he was arrested.

I don't see how the actions or inaction's of the Moab police caused Gabby's death. JMO.

Where did you see this information? I just read the article and it's not in there. What is in there are multiple opportunities the officers had to get this right. Laundrie's story contradicted himself or didn't add up, the witnesses reported something different, it was clear to most of us who viewed that video what was going on and they missed it all. I'm not saying they could have prevented Gabby's death. But I am definitely saying that it's hard to come to grips with being abused, probably especially if law enforcement is telling you YOU are the aggressor. They just, imo, made it that much harder for her to reach out for help later.

I totally agree. I watched the video too and it is shocking to watch as the police officers somehow take all this information indicating that BL hit her and was abusing her and somehow twist it in their brains to where they think they might want to arrest Gabby as the aggressor. No wonder women are silent about abuse! “Gosh darn it, these women are always provoking these men into swatting them!” Who else are women supposed to call to help them, but when the helpers don’t help..

The Notice of Claim - IMO, it looks like the plaintiffs are looking for an out of court settlement.

I guess that City of Moab must have assessed the risk of being sued once they released their report on the incident? If they did so, I wonder how much they have earmarked for settlement?

I totally agree. I watched the video too and it is shocking to watch as the police officers somehow take all this information indicating that BL hit her and was abusing her and somehow twist it in their brains to where they think they might want to arrest Gabby as the aggressor No wonder women are silent about abuse! “Gosh darn it, these women are always provoking these men into swatting them!” Who else are women supposed to call to help them, but when the helpers don’t help..
The ball definitely got dropped re: the by-stander's phone call to 911.

But GP did say she hit BL first when she was interviewed separately by LE. I think that's mainly what led LE to think she was the aggressor along with the visible marks on BL's face. They didn't just invent that idea out of nothing or come to that conclusion based only on what BL said. I do realize that some victims may blame themselves and LE needs to understand stand that. But if Utah law allows for only one primary aggressor to be identified in a M-F altercation, it's not going to work for LE to have a operating policy that says the man is always at fault or says if the woman claims to have hit the man first and started the altercation, the man must be the actual guilty party. While female-on-male domestic violence is thought to be woefully unreported, statistically men are more likely to be the aggressor. But police can't arrest people simply based on gender. Constitutional rights don't work that way.

I'm not seeing the eventual outcome would have been different if the situation had been handled differently. As @RANCH said, not long after the incident GP waited for days in a SLC hotel for BL to return from FL. (BL flew to FL 5 days after the Moab incident and was gone for 5 days.) It was reported while BL was gone GP spent a lot of time at the hotel on the phone with JP working on video stuff. It's also been reported she called NS almost every day during the trip so she likely called her from SLC. In their claim for the Moab lawsuit, the P's claim GP called them during the incident with LE. Surely if there was a continuing concern on the P's part, while BL was absent there would have been ample time to discuss with GP the wisdom of ending the trip and coming to stay at either NS's or JP's home. One of her parents could have even flown out to talk to her face to face (and helped her to drive the van back to NY or to JP's home in FL.) But based on NS's published comment in Sept about the incident merely being an argument & a natural occurrence on a long trip, overall the family didn't appear to be all that worried. And if GP and her family weren't overly concerned, I'm not sure why LE should have be able to spot there was an ongoing problem that required more than a one-night cooling off period and instead justified an immediate arrest.

I'd also wonder if the relationship was so "cordial" between the P's and the L's, why the P's didn't call the L's to discuss any concerns. I do understand the wisdom of staying out of adult children's lives, but at times it's also been assumed the L's knew everything there was to know about BL & GP and knew every thought BL had. I don't think the L's knew that much but the P's seem to think they did had so I wonder why there wasn't a contact made.

Link for NS''s comment about it being being an argument

If Moab police had arrested BL for aggravated assault against Gabby how long would he have stayed in jail? Wouldn't he be eligible for bond and be out in a relatively short period of time? After the Moab incident she waited in Utah several days for him to return from Florida. I would say it's likely she would have waited for BL to get out of jail if he was arrested.

I don't see how the actions or inaction's of the Moab police caused Gabby's death. JMO.
They wouldn't have arrested Brian, they would have arrested Gabby. In that video they had concluded that she was the aggressor, and either failed to include the 911 call about Brian slapping Gabby down the sidewalk after their lunch, or they hadn't known about it at the time. Either way, they had concluded she was the aggressor. Due to that, they likely were trying to be nice to a sweet girl and not jail her, thinking everything would cool down and be OK. All MOO.

They wouldn't have arrested Brian, they would have arrested Gabby. In that video they had concluded that she was the aggressor, and either failed to include the 911 call about Brian slapping Gabby down the sidewalk after their lunch, or they hadn't known about it at the time. Either way, they had concluded she was the aggressor. Due to that, they likely were trying to be nice to a sweet girl and not jail her, thinking everything would cool down and be OK. All MOO.
I am in no way blaming or shaming the victim but I believe that arresting Gabby may have actually had the potential to changed the outcome.

If either had been arrested they would likely have needed parental assistance but I feel the Laundries would have taken a fairly passive approach and offered a lawyer and financial assistance with a strong suggestion that he come home.

If Gabby would have been charged, I don't see her father as someone who handles things passively. He's always struck me as the kind of father who would be on the next flight and extremely upset that things had reached a boiling point. I see him as the type of person who would insist his daughter come home for a while to think things over.

Those cops did everything right as far as I'm concerned. The only one responsible for her death is Brian Laundrie.

<modsnip: Not victim friendly>

I agree. Given the reports they received, they did the best they could do.

As you say, the only person who is at fault is Brian. Everyone else is a victim.

It was just a horrible tragedy. I actually thought the cops were pretty good.

I totally agree. I watched the video too and it is shocking to watch as the police officers somehow take all this information indicating that BL hit her and was abusing her and somehow twist it in their brains to where they think they might want to arrest Gabby as the aggressor. No wonder women are silent about abuse! “Gosh darn it, these women are always provoking these men into swatting them!” Who else are women supposed to call to help them, but when the helpers don’t help..
Gabby admitted to the officers that she had struck Laundrie.

The Notice of Claim - IMO, it looks like the plaintiffs are looking for an out of court settlement.

I guess that City of Moab must have assessed the risk of being sued once they released their report on the incident? If they did so, I wonder how much they have earmarked for settlement?
The Notice of Claim is a prerequisite to filing a suit against a government entity. They are called different things in different states but you have to do that or you can't sue.

Victims often do. She's taking the blame as aggressor. That doesn't mean that she actually was. He refused to take any blame.
That is absolutely true. Victims of domestic violence often take take blame or protect their abuser. But female abuse of males in domestic situations is also very common. These officers would know that. They made a decision based upon what they saw at the time.

That is absolutely true. Victims of domestic violence often take take blame or protect their abuser. But female abuse of males in domestic situations is also very common. These officers would know that. They made a decision based upon what they saw at the time.
And it was the wrong decision. She had scratches on her face from him and she told them that, and a passerby also called to report that they witnessed him hitting her, which Officer Pratt failed to mention in his writeup. He claimed that there were no reports of that. Also, Brian admitted keeping her cell phone from her and locking her out of the van, which was further cause for her behavior (not her OCD). She even said to him, "why are you so mean?"

Last edited:
This is my understanding:

The officers did not receive info from dispatch re: the 911 caller who described BL slapping GP on the street then leaving her and her backpack while he started to drive away.

The officers only received info from the 911 caller who reported seeing her trying to get back into the van, which she did by going through the driver's side window.

If the officers showed bias, it was based on them not having the info about BL slapping GP. This was the most critical misstep in the event IMO although the officers' actions were imperfect as the investigative report released in Feb. 2022 discussed.

BBM
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members