Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
So either her car is submerged or she has been abducted?
I. can’t think of a third possibility.
Voluntarily missing is always a possibility that can be held onto, although the abduction scenario probably gets way more people out looking so I can't blame her loved ones for pushing it.

Can you expand upon your thinking here? What makes you say so?
It is statistically the far, far, far most likely explanation especially under these circumstances - and there is no evidence of anything else that has been made public

Unsure how well it fits time wise but searching Snapchat stories for Truckee the driving conditions don't look good. Has a few stories from 2-3 days ago with dense fog. Imagine if her phone died too could literally have gone anywhere if the weather was bad enough.
It rained most of Friday in Truckee, but stopped by 1pm. It was clear all evening because I hosted a dinner event in my deck, less than 1/2 mile from the party site. The next morning 9am my wife and I went mtn biking within 1/4 mile from the party site and the weather was perfect…. not even morning mist. So I don’t think fog would have been much of a factor

That is what it seems like, missing car and missing girl. Body of water. Have they been searching the boat ramps? Cars can go pretty car out as well. Buzzed teen gets directionally turned around in the dark, follows a road, it is a ramp in a lake. That seems most plausible. sadly. There are a lot of places to make wrong turns and a lot of roads leading into water.
Aside from the boat ramp… most the dirt roads that lead to water are in pretty rough shape and Prosser reservoir is a very shallow and gradual slopped body of water. You would literally have to floor it on some of the dirt roads to make it far enough out into the water to sink. Helicopters would be able to spot something…

The water off the boat ramp is a little deeper, but not much. Again, I saw a ton of paddle boarders and others out on the shore looking… so if they do find something, I would expect it pretty quickly. At least for Prosser

Authorities from Placer County said its air operations crew will be flying over the Interstate 80 corridor between Donner Summit and the Nevada state line. The sheriff’s office said numerous resources have already been utilized.

In an interview with FOX40, Sami Smith, one of Rodni’s close friends, said she last heard from the missing teen was on a phone call around 12:36 a.m. on Saturday. Since she last spoke with Rodni, no one has had contact or any sighting of her, Smith said.

“We’re trying to look at all areas around here, even going down to San Francisco if anybody is willing to go down there,” Smith said. “She could be anywhere in the country at this point. We’re just trying to cover everywhere.
*eta:
We continue to search for missing 16-year-old Truckee resident, Kiely Rodni. Detectives are currently following up on leads and our Falcon 30 helicopter is assisting the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office with the search for Kiely. More info: http://shorturl.at/duz15 #PCSO #missing

Last edited:

I hate to say it buy an event like this would be a '"supermarket" for a serial killer.

So many young people under the influence of various substances. I imagine it would be much easier to persuade someone to make a bad decision in this environment.

At this point, does it really matter how old she is with regards to drinking?

We have no clue whether she drove off in her car or if someone possibly offered to drive for her.

It looks there is some water very close to Cold Stream Rd that she would have to navigate passed to get to her house. That area should be checked also.

View attachment 358501

Navigating a dirt road like that, above a body of water, in the middle of the night, after drinking, seems quite a bit riskier than potentially driving into Prosser Lake.
Yes.

I am thinking that while it's definitely possible the vehicle ended up in Prosser Lake, even more probable seems to be the potential for an accident closer to her home -- after she turned off the highway -- that's the part of the drive with dense forest and steep dropoffs. Whether into water or simply over the edge somewhere not easily visible. I'm glad to hear the flights are over that part of her route as well.

And for those who would say she was too familiar with the stretch by home for that to happen, I will add an anecdote -- my tiny town has a mountain pass between us and the nearest full-service community. Every year or two there is a fatal accident on the pass, usually in winter when the road is icy. The accident frequency didn't really surprise me when I moved here, but I was surprised that most of the accidents happened to long-time residents rather than to newcomers or visitors. Maybe there is a complacency that happens when you get thoroughly used to a dangerous stretch of road? Not to mention a new-ish driver who is also impaired.

MOO

“Now on it's fifth circle around the reservoir.”

Nothing breaking on the KCRA news (it’s my local channel) - I’m sure they were simply getting file footage for later stories on this.

I'm surprised they were able to get out there and do all that circling around in the airspace before the other Placer County and Washoe County Sheriff's were able to get their helicopters up over the same area later in the day

At this point, does it really matter how old she is with regards to drinking?

We have no clue whether she drove off in her car or if someone possibly offered to drive for her.
It does matter. With every tragedy, there is the tiny silver lining of a cautionary tale that might save others. Hopefully, parents are now talking to their kids about don't leave a girl behind, don't get too drunk to drive, if you are too drunk to drive call a parent to come pick you up, etc. This is likely a tragic story but hopefully a beacon of truth for other teens and parents not to make the same mistake.

Mom says Kiely was going to head home "in 45 minutes" which would have been about 12:15am.

Friend SS says Kiely "wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far." IMO that means under the influence of something.

I cannot square the two completely opposite explanations of Kiely's intentions. Separately, abduction doesn't add up to me. FWIW I'm going with a car accident in the mountains. Just speculating, of course.

Mom says Kiely was going to head home "in 45 minutes" which would have been about 12:15am.

Friend SS says Kiely "wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far." IMO that means under the influence of something.

I cannot square the two completely opposite explanations of Kiely's intentions. Separately, abduction doesn't add up to me. FWIW I'm going with a car accident in the mountains. Just speculating, of course.
Just for clarification, Kiely's text to mom was @ 11:30pm...saying she would be leaving the party @ 12:15am. This text would have been just after KR / SS charged their phones and discussed SS getting a ride home.

My take is that KR may have not been exhibiting strong intoxication signs at this point. Either something "kicked-in" shortly thereafter around 12am or maybe she intentionally or unintentionally took something or reacted to something.

I'm concerned about her friend saying Kiely was planning to stay overnight. As a parent I would have a heart attack if my kid was planning to stay out overnight without my knowledge, particularly with no cell service. Maybe she told her mom; at this stage we don't know.

Actually we do know. Kiely told her mom she was coming home around midnight.

Per the video at the link.

Thanks for the key highlights...I put together a brief timeline of events that night...it may not directly correlate or impact what happened, but does give some perspective.

9pm: Samantha says she arrives at party, noting Kiely arrived about an hour later.

10pm: Kiely arrives at party (per Samantha).

11pm: Samantha and Kiely meet in Kiely's car to charge phones and discuss ride home. There's no mention of camping / staying the night as previously mentioned in other reports. Did that change because more people had arrived than anticipated?

11pm - 12:25am: Sometime during this time period, Samantha observes Kiely intoxicated and decides to find another ride home. Kiely appears fine / or at least Samantha isn't concerned @ 11pm, so her intoxication level greatly increases in the next hour.

12:25am: Kiely and Samantha say good-bye

12:36am: Kiely calls Samantha...appears to be last known phone call.
FWIW, this timeline seems to confirm that she did leave the party at about 12:15am which is what she told her mom according to the interview with me mom at the link below.

Oh-oh, an update on findkielyrodni IG account

PLEASE STAY OUT OF THE BLUE MARKED AREA UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!

Login • Instagram
That area has a road that appears to be out of the way to her home.....
if significant, please let it be that she's lost there, or stuck with no way to alert by phone, but ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member