Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, how I wish these girls would have followed girl code. I know it pertains to bar hopping but is still somewhat applicable. I had this on my fridge for my girls and older granddaughter when they were back in their party days. I need to practice prudence and print it off again for my young not-yet-a-woman teen granddaughter.
View attachment 358590
In theory and for normal situations this is true 100%.
I’m a decade-ish older than Kiely and partied as a normal college kid at a Big 10 school would from 2015-2019. We used all the same apps, but swap tik tok for Vine.
I had a solid, close group of girlfriends throughout college. We did have one friend that seemingly had friends EVERYWHERE. Sometimes she would split off with them at bar close. We always double checked and even texted later to see if she made it, but we weren’t exactly invited to come with. Especially if it was a male friend. We couldn’t exactly stop our grown, adult friend from splitting off to another group of friends or going to a guys house (I know kiely isn’t an adult). Again, we had each other’s locations shared and stayed in contact but we couldn’t stop her. I suppose that would make us look not so good if something were to happen to her at her next stop.

maybe there was some sort of mix up like that. Jane thought she was with John and Mary So Jane ended her night. I hope I’m not being contrarian, but its a possibility!

-working with FBI: last phone data from 12:35am Aug 6th (didn't specify what that data is)
-concentrating search and rescue area expanding out from last known location
-no surveillance cameras in campground
-surveillance from stores nearby being looked at. KR seen before party at 6pm
-no amber alert - no evidence supporting abduction but not ruling it out
And anticipating a Press Release tomorrow morning.

“At the point when I left, I thought she was going to stay there," said Smith, who departed the campground just a few minutes before Rodni was last seen. "Everybody was camping. It was late enough that she should have stayed. She’s not the type to go and drunk drive or anything."

Smith said she spent most of the night with Rodni.

"For the amount of drinks we both had together, she’s not that dumb," she added. "I remember we were partying together. She was having fun. She seemed really happy — she was like normal, just on an adrenaline rush. Saying ‘Hi’ to everybody.

Smith, 18, said that there were plenty of attendees whom she had not previously met but none who seemed suspicious, gave unwanted attention or followed the pair around.

She said she didn’t notice anyone much older and that the party consisted mainly of teens, recent graduates and some college students from the surrounding areas. Some came from as far away as San Francisco, she said, but that was not unusual because the area is a summer vacation town.

We met a few strangers together," she said. "We both tended to trust people. I say ‘tended to’ because now I don’t think I will continue to trust people. But she’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt."

Hmmm.

We have had a lack of reach out from many Tahoe kids who were at the party or may know any information," the announcement reads. "We are only looking for information such as who was at the party that you may have seen [and] the times you came and left."

Not good.

Last edited:
I also felt that her initial statement detailing the 12:36am sounded like she was annoyed with KR the night of the event. It was literally my first thought.
My thought reading the “12:36” was that she had checked her phone and call times so she had the time stamp, knowing she was talking to LE and press.

Sheriff at presser: Last cellular data at 12:33am.
This correlates with last reported phone call Kiely makes to SS.

Hypothetically, if Kiely makes this phone call while sitting in her car and then attempts to drive home, accidentally taking the wrong turn, and driving down the boat ramp...assuming cell data would end and be unavailable and "out of service" with the phone / car submerged underwater?

This correlates with last reported phone call Kiely makes to SS.

Hypothetically, if Kiely makes this phone call while sitting in her car and then attempts to drive home, accidentally taking the wrong turn, and driving down the boat ramp...assuming cell data would end and be unavailable and "out of service" with the phone / car submerged underwater?
Yes, those are my thoughts too.

Somebody purchased the alcohol…who??? Had to be an adult!
I'm old. When I was a teenager, the drinking age was 18 in my state. We had friends who were 18 and purchased for us but many friends could get alcohol from their homes without parents’ knowledge. Teenagers will drink.

We lived in the country when my kids were teenagers. My rule was that my kids had to call me, no texts before driving home. If my teenagers were unsafe to drive, I would pick them up. No questions or punishment. Both of my teens called when their friends were in no shape to drive and they’d the the keys away and drive the friends home.

Maybe she decided to relocate her vehicle, since it was close to the party (within 100 yards according to her friend's statements) to somewhere a little quieter where she could sleep better and / or sober up, but then accidentally went down the boat ramp.

I will say … to me, it makes some sense as to why they have waited until this day to search the water.
I know we have questioned why it took so long to put out sonar/boats/divers, but it makes sense that they would search the land and roadways extensively over the first 48-72 hours, in the event that she is somewhere hurt but possibly alive. It just seems more logical that the water be last searched, because if she is there, unfortunately we know there was no real survival chance to begin with. Just my thoughts.

“At the point when I left, I thought she was going to stay there," said Smith, who departed the campground just a few minutes before Rodni was last seen. "Everybody was camping. It was late enough that she should have stayed. She’s not the type to go and drunk drive or anything."

Smith said she spent most of the night with Rodni.

"For the amount of drinks we both had together, she’s not that dumb," she added. "I remember we were partying together. She was having fun. She seemed really happy — she was like normal, just on an adrenaline rush. Saying ‘Hi’ to everybody.

Smith, 18, said that there were plenty of attendees whom she had not previously met but none who seemed suspicious, gave unwanted attention or followed the pair around.

She said she didn’t notice anyone much older and that the party consisted mainly of teens, recent graduates and some college students from the surrounding areas. Some came from as far away as San Francisco, she said, but that was not unusual because the area is a summer vacation town.

We met a few strangers together," she said. "We both tended to trust people. I say ‘tended to’ because now I don’t think I will continue to trust people. But she’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt."
This is odd. It kind of contradicts Sami's earlier statement.

“There was a lot of guys that did approach us,” Smith said. “Definitely, I was getting a gut feeling that during that party that something, something just didn’t feel right with the amount of people that were there and how old some of these people were.”

And also this:

“Within the only 10 minutes I was there, I literally had a group of five guys, try to come get me to take as many bong rips as I could forcefully, without my boyfriend present,” Magdalene Larson, Keily’s best friend, said.

"No information is too small," said the Nevada County Sheriff's Office during the press conference.

"Somebody knows something," said the Placer County Sheriff's representative, especially those who were at the party. "Please contact us through our tip line."
Anyone with any information can call (530) 581-6320 Option 7 or 530-886-5375 or Secret Witness at 775-322-4900. You can remain anonymous.

Thanks for this visual. At night, if you turned onto that short roadway, would it be quickly and readily apparent upon approach that you were heading into a body of water? Or does the darkness mask it from being clearly visible, and easy enough to accidentally drive into water?
The road and approach to the boat ramp is fairly long in my opinion with a large parking lot on the right for full pickups and trailers and a smaller parking lot on the left (where my Moto is). There is a bunch of signage warning of the boat ramp etc. This is a fairly gradual boat ramp, so in my opinion, a car would have to hit this at speed to have the momentum to go for a bit to the deeper water.

This is not a well used boat ramp, mostly fisherman use it to put in their trolling boats or kayakers to cruise around. Prosser is not that large... from my house I can run the circumference on dirt roads and trails in 90+mins. Actually maybe 100+mins... I am getting older and slower these days.

Anyhow, again in my opinion... a driver would have to be seriously impaired and driving really fast to put their car in deep water. But I guess I would not be surprised....

Last edited:
Yes, those are my thoughts too.
Crazy enough...I dropped my iphone in the lake in the winter one year when I worked at a marina. Took me an hour to work up the nerve to jump in the freezing water to retrieve it. When I got back on land the phone was still on and receiving messages. It worked for the next couple weeks until the home button finally gave up. No idea what phone she has but its possible that it stayed on for a while after being submerged. JMO.

This is odd. It kind of contradicts Sami's earlier statement.

“There was a lot of guys that did approach us,” Smith said. “Definitely, I was getting a gut feeling that during that party that something, something just didn’t feel right with the amount of people that were there and how old some of these people were.”

And also this:

“Within the only 10 minutes I was there, I literally had a group of five guys, try to come get me to take as many bong rips as I could forcefully, without my boyfriend present,” Magdalene Larson, Keily’s best friend, said.

More reason not to place any emphasis on statements from the teen.

Clearly, SS has been interviewed by LE and anything credible will be cited by investigators.

Investigators have just confirmed at the presser that this is a missing person investigation, and there is no evidence this was an abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member