Africa- JOHANNESBURG, At least 20 dead in South African club; cause not yet known, 26 June 2022

Authorities are still awaiting the conclusive results which are being conducted at a laboratory in the city of Cape Town, he said.

Methanol is a toxic form of alcohol that is used industrially as a solvent, pesticide or an alternative source of fuel. It is not used in the production of alcohol sold for human consumption.

It is yet not known how the youngsters ingested the methanol.

Czech mass methanol outbreak 2012: epidemiology, challenges and clinical features
[...]
Results: From a total of 121 intoxicated subjects, 20 died outside the hospital and 101 were hospitalized. Among them, 60 survived without, and 20 with visual/CNS sequelae, whereas 21 patients died. The total and hospital mortality rates were 34% and 21%, respectively.
[...]

Methanol poisoning as a new world challenge: A review
[...]
Discussion: Methanol is usually rapidly absorbed after ingestion and metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), then distributed to the body water to reach a volume distribution approximately equal to 0.77 L/kg. It is also eliminated from the body as unchanged parent compounds. Clinical manifestations of MP alone initiate within 0.5-4 h after ingestion and include gastrointestinal symptoms and CNS suppression. After a latent period of 6-24 h, depending on the absorbed dose, decompensated metabolic acidosis occurs with blurred vision and early or late blindness. Blurred vision with normal consciousness is a strong suspicious sign of an MP. The mortality and severity of intoxication are well associated with the severity of CNS depression, hyperglycemia, and metabolic acidosis, but not with serum methanol concentration.
[...]

Chemistry is very much not my forte, but for anyone here who may be, some questions:

Is it possible that:
A) The “free” alcohol provided to guests was cut/“watered down” with methanol? Looks like there have been previous cases of mass methanol poisoning due to people being served adulterated alcohol.

B) The partygoers breathed it in from a malfunctioning/leaking cooling (air conditioning) system? I don’t know if air conditioning is even commonly used in South Africa (unlike here in the US, where it’s pretty ubiquitous) or if this venue had it, but speaking hypothetically, could one ingest/inhale it and thus have it show up in a blood test?

Authorities are still awaiting the conclusive results which are being conducted at a laboratory in the city of Cape Town, he said.

Methanol is a toxic form of alcohol that is used industrially as a solvent, pesticide or an alternative source of fuel. It is not used in the production of alcohol sold for human consumption.

It is yet not known how the youngsters ingested the methanol.

Czech mass methanol outbreak 2012: epidemiology, challenges and clinical features
[...]
Results: From a total of 121 intoxicated subjects, 20 died outside the hospital and 101 were hospitalized. Among them, 60 survived without, and 20 with visual/CNS sequelae, whereas 21 patients died. The total and hospital mortality rates were 34% and 21%, respectively.
[...]

Methanol poisoning as a new world challenge: A review
[...]
Discussion: Methanol is usually rapidly absorbed after ingestion and metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), then distributed to the body water to reach a volume distribution approximately equal to 0.77 L/kg. It is also eliminated from the body as unchanged parent compounds. Clinical manifestations of MP alone initiate within 0.5-4 h after ingestion and include gastrointestinal symptoms and CNS suppression. After a latent period of 6-24 h, depending on the absorbed dose, decompensated metabolic acidosis occurs with blurred vision and early or late blindness. Blurred vision with normal consciousness is a strong suspicious sign of an MP. The mortality and severity of intoxication are well associated with the severity of CNS depression, hyperglycemia, and metabolic acidosis, but not with serum methanol concentration.
[...]

From the article, Central Nervous System depression, which includes sedation, can start within half an hour. So yeah, that could explain why bodies were draped over chairs. Feelings of disorientation might also explain why people were desperate to get out of the room.

Was somebody supplying killer booze? Looks like it's a possibility.

Booze mixed with methanol is something I heard about recently while watching some kind of Vice "documentary" about bootlegging. Up until now I'd suspected the hooka and shisha that people were reportedly smoking. Maybe a combination of both?

Could fumes from drinking methanol laced booze cause others to also get sick? Thought I'd read that even sober attendants felt faint.

Very sad all the way around.

Article states 3 arrested for allegedly serving alcohol to minors... nothing on COD yet. Article is 5 days old.

Imo it seems like it's not from the beverages but from vapors. From the suvivors statements it seems to have happened quite suddenly, with the strong odor filling the air and people just dropping. Also a mad rush to escape. In the article I linked, a witness said they saw the doors get shut right before the fumes filled the tavern.

It sounds almost like an attack IMO. I hope there are more answers soon for the family and also to hold anyone who may be responsible to be held accountable.

All jmo

RBBM

I'm thinking the same thing, a vapor or fumes (JMO shisha). The fumes from the coals can be toxic especially in a poorly ventilated area.

I read a previously linked article that stated the same thing, someone shut the doors and people were scrambling to get out. One woman said she fainted and woke up to someone throwing water on her even though she said she hadn't consumed anything (I've lost the link now sry).

People were apparently complaining at the hospital of chest and back pain. IMO sounds like they inhaled something toxic. I've heard stories of people getting sick from inhaling marijuana that was sprayed with pesticides like Paraquat. ITA it sounds sort of like sabotage or something along those lines.
Article states 3 arrested for allegedly serving alcohol to minors... nothing on COD yet. Article is 5 days old.

Imo it seems like it's not from the beverages but from vapors. From the suvivors statements it seems to have happened quite suddenly, with the strong odor filling the air and people just dropping. Also a mad rush to escape. In the article I linked, a witness said they saw the doors get shut right before the fumes filled the tavern.

It sounds almost like an attack IMO.
I hope there are more answers soon for the family and also to hold anyone who may be responsible to be held accountable.

All jmo

Noting that in this very recent, unrelated incident in India, the cause of death from ''altered'' liquor was determined almost immediately..

July 26 2022
AHMEDABAD, India (AP) — At least 28 people have died and 60 others became ill from drinking altered liquor in western India, officials said Tuesday.''

''Deaths from illegally brewed alcohol are common in India, where illicit liquor is cheap and often spiked with chemicals such as pesticides to increase potency.

Illicit liquor has also become a hugely profitable industry across India where bootleggers pay no taxes and sell enormous quantities of their product to the poor at a cheap rate.''

June 27 2022 rbbm.
''Nine of the deceased were female, according to officials. Among the victims who attended the highly publicised party were young people aged between 13 and 20, a witness told Al Jazeera.

‘It smelled like gas’​

*Sinethemba, whose name has been changed to protect her identity, said she and a few of her friends were present when the bar started to fill up that morning.

The 17-year-old, a class 12 student at a local high school, told Al Jazeera that they attended the party because they were informed that two local soap opera “celebrities” would be hosting it.''

''The young woman had waited for her parents to go to sleep before sneaking out and claimed that when the nightclub became too overcrowded, people were asked to leave. When the partygoers did not comply, one of the security guards closed the door and began spraying a substance into the crowd, she said.

“The man at the door, I think he was a bouncer, he closed the door and we couldn’t breathe. We suffocated for a long time and [were] pushing each other but there was no use because some people were dying,” she said.

“It smelled like gas. I’m not sure if it was tear gas or pepper spray. Then some people died and I also fell asleep for three hours. Then when they woke us up, they also thought I was dead,” she continued.

Sinethemba said when she awoke, her leg was numb and she could not stand up on her own. She then asked a patron to call her aunt so that she could be picked up.''

June 27 2022 rbbm.
''Nine of the deceased were female, according to officials. Among the victims who attended the highly publicised party were young people aged between 13 and 20, a witness told Al Jazeera.

‘It smelled like gas’​

*Sinethemba, whose name has been changed to protect her identity, said she and a few of her friends were present when the bar started to fill up that morning.

The 17-year-old, a class 12 student at a local high school, told Al Jazeera that they attended the party because they were informed that two local soap opera “celebrities” would be hosting it.''

''The young woman had waited for her parents to go to sleep before sneaking out and claimed that when the nightclub became too overcrowded, people were asked to leave. When the partygoers did not comply, one of the security guards closed the door and began spraying a substance into the crowd, she said.

“The man at the door, I think he was a bouncer, he closed the door and we couldn’t breathe. We suffocated for a long time and [were] pushing each other but there was no use because some people were dying,” she said.

“It smelled like gas. I’m not sure if it was tear gas or pepper spray. Then some people died and I also fell asleep for three hours. Then when they woke us up, they also thought I was dead,” she continued.

Sinethemba said when she awoke, her leg was numb and she could not stand up on her own. She then asked a patron to call her aunt so that she could be picked up.''

Who's "they"? Where were they during this event? Sus IMHO

No idea if these spices are available or used in SA, but noting just in case something similar occurred in the club's food or drink. FWIW..
September 2022 rbbm.
''Diners who fell ill after eating at a restaurant outside Toronto probably ate food contaminated with toxic aconite, Canada health officials say.
Twelve people were sent to hospital on Monday, with four needing intensive care.
Health officials said they believe the toxin came from two powder products that have since been pulled from shelves.
Aconite, a toxic herb, can severely affect the nervous system if ingested.''

''Officials said they believe the accidental poisoning was caused by a contaminated spice product.
They have since sent food and other samples to a lab for confirmation. The restaurant has cooperated with the investigation.
Two products - a galangal powder common in Asian cuisine and a radix aconiti kusnezoffii powder traditionally used in Chinese medicine - have been pulled off retail shelves.''

''Aconite, also known as monkshood, wolf's-bane or devil's helmet, is a common plant that can be found at gardens and mountainous parts of North America, Europe and Asia.
Its roots are extremely poisonous and lethal. If ingested, symptoms show up quickly and most fatalities occur within a few hours.''

''He said one teaspoon of pure aconite poison is enough to kill several people''
1662130942410.png
Photos of two retail cooking powders suspected to be contaminated with aconite.
IMAGE SOURCE,YORK REGION PUBLIC HEALTH
Image caption,
York Region Public Health pulled two powder products suspected to be contaminated with aconite off the shelves.

Monkshood is 100% deadly and there is no antidote! This flower brushed against me once and I almost fainted literally.

This other story is interesting because recently I discovered 2 shops near me that carry similar herbs/mixtures that I noticed are in fact, potentially lethal. Also recently noticed my new neighbours have a Datura growing in their garden which is a hallucinogenic plant.

Shouldn't a blood tox screening have revealed something? If it were a drink, food or a pill wouldn't that have been discovered by now?

No idea if these spices are available or used in SA, but noting just in case something similar occurred in the club's food or drink. FWIW..
September 2022 rbbm.
''Diners who fell ill after eating at a restaurant outside Toronto probably ate food contaminated with toxic aconite, Canada health officials say.
Twelve people were sent to hospital on Monday, with four needing intensive care.
Health officials said they believe the toxin came from two powder products that have since been pulled from shelves.
Aconite, a toxic herb, can severely affect the nervous system if ingested.''

''Officials said they believe the accidental poisoning was caused by a contaminated spice product.
They have since sent food and other samples to a lab for confirmation. The restaurant has cooperated with the investigation.
Two products - a galangal powder common in Asian cuisine and a radix aconiti kusnezoffii powder traditionally used in Chinese medicine - have been pulled off retail shelves.''

''Aconite, also known as monkshood, wolf's-bane or devil's helmet, is a common plant that can be found at gardens and mountainous parts of North America, Europe and Asia.
Its roots are extremely poisonous and lethal. If ingested, symptoms show up quickly and most fatalities occur within a few hours.''

''He said one teaspoon of pure aconite poison is enough to kill several people''
View attachment 363425
Photos of two retail cooking powders suspected to be contaminated with aconite.
IMAGE SOURCE,YORK REGION PUBLIC HEALTH
Image caption,
York Region Public Health pulled two powder products suspected to be contaminated with aconite off the shelves.

Monkshood is 100% deadly and there is no antidote! This flower brushed against me once and I almost fainted literally.

This other story is interesting because recently I discovered 2 shops near me that carry similar herbs/mixtures that I noticed are in fact, potentially lethal. Also recently noticed my new neighbours have a Datura growing in their garden which is a hallucinogenic plant.

Shouldn't a blood tox screening have revealed something? If it were a drink, food or a pill wouldn't that have been discovered by now?

It's not 100% deadly but it is very, very toxic.
Nobody from the Toronto poisoning died, however one person remains in hospital. You're correct that there is no antidote but supportive care can help people with non-lethal doses of aconite.

I still don't think this was a food/drink contamination issue though, if all the reports - someone blocking the doors, spraying something in the air, a "tear gas" type smell permeating the tavern, and a sudden rush to the doors of people trying to escape and get air - are true.

imo

It's not 100% deadly but it is very, very toxic.
Nobody from the Toronto poisoning died, however one person remains in hospital. You're correct that there is no antidote but supportive care can help people with non-lethal doses of aconite.

I still don't think this was a food/drink contamination issue though, if all the reports - someone blocking the doors, spraying something in the air, a "tear gas" type smell permeating the tavern, and a sudden rush to the doors of people trying to escape and get air - are true.

imo
True, coming into contact with wolfsbane does not always result in death but there have been multiple accounts of people dying after being in contact with the plant. I'm completely serious when I say I almost fainted after brushing against it.

Wolfsbane 'killed gardener' on millionaire's estate | The Week UK & Hiker dies after mistaking wolfsbane for edible plant

The seasoning/root powder is being removed from shelves. It sounds like the seasoning itself was contaminated yet it specifically says "galangal root and aconite" which are known to have serious toxic side effects. Strange.

ITA and am doubtful it was something in their food or drinks. Unless the drinks contained methanol? I'm suspecting the hookha or some other inhalant.

This is still unresolved. The official cause of death was ruled as asphixiation due to overcrowding, but this was not put in writing and is disputed by eyewitness accounts. Other reports have blamed fumes from a gas pipe/generator and that the toxicology report found methanol in the bodies, although this has been discounted as a couse of death. There are allegations that alcohol was also purchased by some of the tavern customers from elsewhere, before they came to the Enyobeni tavern. So a lot of unknowns and parents are far from satisfied and still denied access to the written reports.

“They said they were crushed and suffocated while standing. I don’t believe them at all. I am so disappointed and hurt. I am unhappy with how they have handled our grief,” she said.

Inquest will resume on 11 September 2023.

There's also a prosecution against the tavern owners going on which is focussing on the sale of alcohol to minors:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back