GUILTY MT - James Hurley, 12, tortured to death, W. Yellowstone, Feb 2020 grandparents & uncle arrested #2

@mickey2942 - bumping up - might there be anything local on this case? Did she get the death penalty taken off? Next hearing date?

TIA! :)

@Niner
Well, Patricia Batts is still in the Gallatin County Detention Center.

This article is from June 6, 2022, and states that Judge Brown would rule on death penalty by August 1, 2022. However, nothing new. I reviewed Judge Brown's calendar from this week, no mention of Batts.

Will continue to monitor and let you know. A death penalty case for a woman, in Gallatin County, Montana will be pretty big news. There are hardly any DP cases here.

Thanks for that info @mickey2942 ! I shall check back late next week - maybe something will pop up! :)

Bumping up for @mickey2942 - any updates yet on Batts?

TIA!
No. I have not seen anything local. But this is from awhile back, when the aunt was sentenced, she agreed as part of her plea deal to be a witness against her parents. That is interesting.

@mickey2942 - just going thru some oldies - anything ? But then if there was anything - you would have posted it...

:)

@mickey2942 - just going thru some oldies - anything ? But then if there was anything - you would have posted it...

:)

Nothing new. But it is interesting to read about the crime in Gallatin County. A decade ago, it was about someone reported a lost cat, and an elk was found wandering around downtown.

Times have definitely changed. Not for the better.

@mickey2942 - another month has gone by - just wondering if any new news on this case yet for Batts?

TIA! :)

@Niner -

This is from 8 June 22, and most recent article on the Bozeman Daily Chronicle when searching for “Patricia Batts”:

“The fight over whether the grandmother in the West Yellowstone murder case is eligible for the death penalty continued in Gallatin County District Court this week.
Patricia Batts is charged with four felonies…In addition to deliberate homicide, the charges against Batts are aggravated kidnapping, criminal child endangerment and strangulation of a partner or family member.

Alex’s grandfather, Alex’s juvenile uncle and teen aunt, and one other person have been sentenced for their involvement in his death. Batts is the only person accused who appears to be headed for trial..likely to happen next year..”

I’ve archived the article, so if you’re having trouble accessing the Bozeman paper directly, there ya go.

@Niner -

This is from 8 June 22, and most recent article on the Bozeman Daily Chronicle when searching for “Patricia Batts”:

“The fight over whether the grandmother in the West Yellowstone murder case is eligible for the death penalty continued in Gallatin County District Court this week.
Patricia Batts is charged with four felonies…In addition to deliberate homicide, the charges against Batts are aggravated kidnapping, criminal child endangerment and strangulation of a partner or family member.

Alex’s grandfather, Alex’s juvenile uncle and teen aunt, and one other person have been sentenced for their involvement in his death. Batts is the only person accused who appears to be headed for trial..likely to happen next year..”

I’ve archived the article, so if you’re having trouble accessing the Bozeman paper directly, there ya go.

Thank you - that is what I have in my notes. About the death penalty for her.

Just bumping up in case someone sees anything on this case! TIA if you do!
Moose And Christmas Balls Smiley

Nothing new. But there is a new task force to help children, unfortunately it would not have helped Alex. They really need some sort of safety net for "homeschooled" children.

Just coming over to post this article - Thanks mickey!

per article:
Batts’ jury trial is currently scheduled to begin on July 10, 2023.

Finally!

Feb. 1, 2023

The West Yellowstone homicide case involving Patricia Batts will now be prosecuted through the Prosecution Services Bureau at the Attorney General’s Office.

The Gallatin County Commission approved the case to be moved to a sector of the Attorney General's Office.
[.....]
Cromwell did confirm that Judge John Brown will remain the sitting judge on this case and the court proceedings.

Gallatin County won't pursue death penalty in West Yellowstone homicide case​

“Looking at this case holistically, the best way that we can get justice for Alex is by withdrawing the penalty,” Cromwell said. “It will make this move more swiftly and secure a sentence where Ms. Batts will never see the outside of a prison cell again.”

Hurley’s grandfather, James Sasser Jr., who was sentenced to 100 years in prison in March 2021 for his role in Hurley's death, never faced the death penalty, Shannon said.
Shannon said their next step would be to focus on Patricia’s trial, which is scheduled for July 10 through Aug. 4.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back