Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on California Cameras. ( Sorry, GIS and all things database make me kind of a geek.)

Caltrans CCTV Map

I am not sure if these are backed up on a server, but I suspect they are.

I am sure I will think of more as time goes on these are from memory.

Does Caltrans record the camera video?
No, the camera video is not recorded and the images are not saved.

Caltrans traffic camera video footage and still images are neither retained nor archived.

Yes... so why was this year different? Who announced this high school "end of school rite of passage" get together to the "world" in that area, and why? Or had these parties slowly been becoming infiltrated with drug dealers... ?
If I had to hazard a guess, I would take the "slow infiltration" option.

At the end of the day, I dont think attendance would balloon in one year and bring in harder drugs and likely, harder people unless the event was:

A. Actively promoted and B. Had developed enough "street creds" to the extent that the older attendees knew that it would be worth their time to go.

That combination of circumstances (A and B) maybe rare.

Anecdotally, a local bar in my area went from 'eclectic' (light illegal pot use supplementing the alcohol) to "hard core drugee" via slow infiltration rather than it being announced as a hot spot for drug buys.

Last edited:

At the end of the day, I dont think attendance would balloon in one year and bring in harder drugs and likely, harder people unless the event was:

A. Actively promoted and B. Had developed enough "street creds" to the extent that the older attendees knew that it would be worth their time to go.

Anecdotally, a local bar in my area went from 'eclectic' (light illegal pot use supplementing the alcohol) to "hard core drugee" via slow infiltration rather than it being announced as a hot spot for drug buys. I quit going there once the infiltrators out numbered the eclectics.
It's also possible it was entirely an accident. According to SS, it's a common party spot where parties are held almost every weekend. Given this is not a regulated event venue it's not like there is a reservation system in place to avoid double booking. It's possible it was actually two parties that collided. One a group of high school graduates and another for young adults/college kids home for the weekend. Which is why these kids didn't know any of these people and why the attendance swelled the way it did. IMO

Last edited:
Were there 4-wheelers / ATVs at the Prosser party?

I have been digging around for other incidents there (cars in water, drownings), and this came up - “This time of year it’s not unusual to find an abandoned vehicle in the local reservoirs”, Koehler said. “Teenagers will go four-wheeling and leave a vehicle out there.” (Article was from March 2006, but maybe it’s common to ATV there.)

And in 2016 a man was trapped under an ATV that flipped into the reservoir.

We do have freeway cameras in Northern California that monitor traffic and weather conditions. We also have cameras on
stop lights in towns in Nevada County. We even have license plate readers that catch stolen cars mounted on stop lights
in Nevada county, often enough to make them worthwhile. I am not sure Western Nevada County has reinstated the meter maid but I am not sure they are scanning license plates, but maybe. Our parking patrol was on hold for awhile. Perhaps someone in Truckee would know about Truckee parking patrol and their practices.

We also have cameras in wooded that are useful during fire season. That can be seen on
Alertwildfire.org
The question is if these cameras just Live Stream or do they also record. If they record, I suspect they are on some type of loop that overwrites data after time.
I hope any potential data was caught in time.

JMO

ETA - sorry, going backwards in catching up :)

I do believe with that many young people present, someone or several people have an idea of what happened. Someone saw the car leave. maybe they don't realize what they saw as it was just one of many cars. Someone saw her in the time she spoke with SS to the phone dying. She could not have gone far. Unless she had already left? Eventually someone will talk, post a TikTok or instagram story inadvertently.

I am still confused by the call to SS. And SS saying, I already told you I had an other ride. I just hope her call to SS was not her way of trying to get out of a situation or was a plea for help. Like sounding the alarm by repeating the obvious. I have to give my friend a ride, let me call her, see where she is, I need to go. A polite way to get out of an uncomfortable situation. Like "Hey girl, where are you?" And perhaps SS didn't pickup on the fact she needed help?

I have had a work friend call me on a bad date after I texted them, so I could have an excuse to leave.
I’ve been thinking the same exact thing regarding the phone call to S.

Anecdotally, a local bar in my area went from 'eclectic' (light illegal pot use supplementing the alcohol) to "hard core drugee" via slow infiltration rather than it being announced as a hot spot for drug buys.
I also think the boomagrang effect of COVID played a part here.

JMO

Last edited:
Today I was thinking that if Kiely was as wasted as her friends say, and what witnesses saw, she could have fallen, passing out on the ground and been run over accidentally.
I pray that isn't the case.

I also contemplate whether her friends locked her car doors after they were finished charging their phones.
If Kiely left the car to relieve herself, her car may have been open for anyone to hop in.

It's late, we know next to nothing, and I can't stop thinking about what could have happened.

There is another possibility I have been thinking of....maybe someone was stalking Kiely at the party, saw her car and hid in the back seat until she entered it. This theory might account for both Kiely and her car missing. Horrifying thought but could have happened.

The question is if these cameras just Live Stream or do they also record. If they record, I suspect they are on some type of loop that overwrites data after time.
I hope any potential data was caught in time.

JMO

ETA - sorry, going backwards in catching up :)
This was such a great question that I did a deep dive into it and I have come back with more questions than answers. Quick answer:
CalTrans Cameras-No data is collected.
But I want to believe I am missing something or that there are other cameras that are not owned by CalTrans on our Freeways, but so far I have no answers
For Nevada County:
This is my county and like I said it is divided into west and east parts. I live on the western side. Here is an article that comes from my area about surveillance cameras that is interesting.
Researching the eastern side is going to take more time due to the search efforts and how deep in the weeds I am right now.
My research observations: Because I work with data and look at data as a tool, I don't really think about the personal side of data. But I have found out that surveillance data is not treated as a tool. There are two sides to the issue. Public Safety VS. the right to privacy. It would be too long for me to elaborate, but all I can say is no wonder we don't know more about where Kiely and other missing people are.

For what it's worth, often these mountain communities have a bunch of older people who hang out with young people. I lived in Jackson Hole and Aspen for a while in my early 20's and people in their 40's etc were often at our parties as were teens. There seemed to be a lot more age blending there for whatever reasons.I wonder if Truckee is similar as a place that might attract people (visitors, residents etc) who are not following social norms for "growing up" like other places might leading to more diverse party attendance.

Have we heard what time the party broke up? SS said that Kiely was planning to spend the night at the campground. So it sounds like some people may have stayed overnight. Where? At the party site or at the campground? Kiely’s friends went to the campground in the morning - did they find no one that had stayed over or slept in their car?

August 6, 8 a.m. - Kiely's Mother woke up not knowing where her daughter was. She checked Kiely's phone location and it stated her last location was at the Prosser Campground. She called Kiely's best friend who said she left the party early and was supposed to meet at a Starbucks to go camping at 9 a.m. Kiely's friends go to the Prosser Campground and did not find Kiely or her car.

August 6, 9 a.m. - Kiely's Friends and mother wait at Starbucks in Truckee hoping Kiely would arrive for their scheduled camping trip, but Kiely does not show up. Kiely's mother calls the police to file a missing person report.

This thread is now closed. Continue here:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members