AK AK - Mary Dawn Wilson, 69 - 2-YO Grandchild Found Locked in Abandoned Car, Healy, 12 July 2022

Any updates?
Unfortunately, talk of her disappearance seems to have fallen off social media, too.

If only we had more clues as to WHY she was out there. Even if proven to be misadventure, it should be investigated further. And Mary should have a proper resting place, not just returning to dust in the wilderness.

Maybe LE knows more. I hope she will not be forgotten.

MOO

Last edited:
Ui

Unfortunately, talk of her disappearance seems to have fallen off social media, too.

If only we had more clues as to WHY she was out there. Even if proven to be misadventure, it should be investigated further. And Mary should have a proper resting place, not just returning to dust in the wilderness.

Maybe LE knows more. I hope she will not be forgotten.

MOO
I also hope she is not forgotten.

It's amazing how many people in Alaska have just up and disappeared never to be seen or heard from ever again.
Agreed. As a local, have you seen any further news or heard any more about Mary's disappearance? It just seems like there has been NOTHING put out to the media or public from family or friends, at least in the MSM I've searched online.

Couldn't it be the GPS in the car, given it was newer? I'm curious if the windows were up or down. Wouldn't the oxygen run out at some point?

Also, just because the car was left 2 days ago, doesn't mean grandma did. That could be why baby seemed alright for the most part.
Cars aren't air tight, as far as I know. I don't think the oxygen would run out. Anyone else know for sure? TIA

I'm wondering if Grandma was harmed or injured and went to get help. If injured, she may not have been able to take him, too. Does anyone know if she has a cell and if there's reception where the car was abandoned??

Why was she out in that area to begin with? That's a question many locals are asking ...

LE said Mary attempted to get the car unstuck. Doesn't sound like she had a cell phone, so maybe she left the child to find help thinking she would be back soon. She didn't walk back towards the highway, she must have thought there was a house nearby, or was she just confused. The belongings being scattered is worrisome, wish we had more details about that.
I agree. I could see a situation where she couldn't carry herself and her grandson, so she struck out alone to try to find help. There are a lot of ways to be in that situation, to leave the 2 year old, and it not be criminal in nature. JMOO

She wasn’t his grandmother. Everyone just called her that.

Cars aren't air tight, as far as I know. I don't think the oxygen would run out. Anyone else know for sure? TIA

I'm wondering if Grandma was harmed or injured and went to get help. If injured, she may not have been able to take him, too. Does anyone know if she has a cell and if there's reception where the car was abandoned??

This site says no, cars are not airtight, nor are they built to be airtight.

I can't help but wonder if the child had fallen asleep and she just forgot he was in the car. It's not too out-there to think that she may have had an episode of confusion or something along the lines of a mini-stroke that set this whole event in motion.

what if - someone else parked the car there with the child inside knowing that eventually the car would be found abandoned on that road. What if Mary 'disappeared' before this?? Just my thoughts.

NM I just remembered they found some of her clothing... sorry.

what if - someone else parked the car there with the child inside knowing that eventually the car would be found abandoned on that road. What if Mary 'disappeared' before this?? Just my thoughts.

That's been my thought as well. The clothes could have been scattered to derail her trail.

That's been my thought as well. The clothes could have been scattered to derail her trail.

It's possible to dream up any number of scenarios, but there's really no evidence that this is anything other than what it appears to be. It could be something else, but it would be premature to speculate with no evidence.

What it appears to be is a situation where a woman's car got stuck in the mud, and she left a young child in the car in order to seek help. She likely went the wrong way, got lost, and died of hypothermia/exposure. Finding her in the Alaskan wilderness would be like looking for an eyelash on the floor of a barbershop that hasn't been swept since 1952.

If this woman had any history of depression or mental illness, then the next alternate scenario I would speculate on would be suicide. If she had no such history, then that scenario is also extremely unlikely.

Why not scatter her clothing about also?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back