Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, but that doesn't move the needle for me at all. I've seen extensive water searches using the same technology initially turn up nothing, only for a vehicle to be found quite a while later.

There was an article yesterday that described divers having practically zero visibility, and having to feel around with their hands.

There's a lot of waterline, and cars can initially drift before they sink.
The ping for the data points was near the water. It’s hard to tell an exact pinpoint,” Captain Sam Brown said at a press conference Saturday.

“Just because it was last pinged there, that doesn’t mean that’s where the phone stopped pinging,” Brown continued. “There’s lots of reasons why those notifications or data points could be lost.”

Brown said the deepest part of the lake is about 57 feet and visibility is low, adding that search crews are almost going “into the water blind.”

“Once you start maneuvering the ground, it’s like going through mud. These are tough operations,” he said.

"A diving operation like that is almost like you're going into the water blind, and you're basically searching with hands," Captain Sam Brown of the Nevada County Sheriff's Office said Saturday.

Local law enforcement, the FBI and volunteer search crews are doing grid searches daily of the area around the Prosser Lake Campground. Swim and dive teams continue to probe nearby Prosser Lake, which is extremely murky.

Curious if they would see tire tracks tho if she ended up in water. My understanding is many of the bodies of water around there have a decent amount of dirt/sand/beach area. Can anyone more local verify?
There is a lot of sand which would likely show tracks, but there are also concrete boat ramps which look very much like a road when you are driving in the dark. There would be little visible evidence if the vehicle travelled off the end of one of these ramps, floated a distance away, and then sank.

I lived in the Reno area for two years, and this is my perspective. Long term locals please feel free to refute/clarify my thinking, as you know a lot more about the area than I do. IMO, this case is a challenge for LE. While Truckee/Tahoe is for the most part a small area in terms of people, this is not the case during the summer. The place is crowded, very much so. There is a large mix of people - local, regional and beyond. Literally anyone and everyone.

People have remarked on I80 as a quick out of there to Reno or Sacramento, and this is quite true.

One thing I do know from personally doing it several times, is it is very possible to get from the Reno area to the Stampede reservoir without every touching pavement. There are ways through from the Peavine mountain jeep trail system. This I did with a stock Rubicon. Not just any vehicle can do it, but it's not terribly hard either. It's not a stretch to say that it could be continued on to Prosser.

MOO, there are many variables here that would make this case tough to crack for LE - a number of different ways into and out of the area, and many different intersecting groups of people. I think we are going to need to be patient, maybe for quite awhile.

MOO.

It's quite literally, the proverbial needle in a haystack, IF she did crash someplace. That area is so incredibly dense.

As the parent of 2 college aged students, I worry like crazy anytime my kids go to Tahoe or any of the roads around there or headed into CA. Curvy, mountain roads, high speed and add in any illegal substances . . .sigh. Lots of fatal accidents on these roads every year.

Breaking this down a bit further, as it's one of very few verifiable facts we have so far.

FACT: LE states that at 12:33 PM, Kiely's phone "went dead," with the last ping near the campsite (LINK)

In reading about how phone pings work (LINK), a phone will ping when it enters the range of a new tower or when a call or text is placed or data used. On average, a cell phone tower has a range of about 45 miles, so from my understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), KR could have driven all the way home without her phone pinging again, assuming that it was all on the same tower and she wasn't texting/phoning/using data.

REASONABLE POSSIBILITIES:

1) The battery died. (Keeping in mind that going to the car to charge it at 11pm is only one witness's statement, and even if it had been charged then, it may not have been fully charged. If she was inebriated or not checking it frequently, she may not have realized immediately that it was dying/dead. She may have even dropped it or lost it at the party, with or without realizing it.)

2) The phone was turned off (or onto airplane mode)
2A) ... by KR (not wanting to be traced? accidentally hit the wrong button? trying to conserve battery?)
2B) ... by someone else (not wanting to be traced?)

3) The phone was damaged
3A) ... accidentally (dropped, run over, crushed in a crash, etc)
3Ai) ... ... by KR
3Aii) ... ... by someone else
3B) ... on purpose (dropped in water, run over, etc)
3Bi) ... ... by KR (seems very unlikely; I can't come up with a possible motive)
3Bii) ... ... by someone else (not wanting to be traced?)

4) OTHER?

Other notes:

- LE has not located the phone at the campground.

- SS's statement about receiving a call from KR at 12:36 AM (LINK) is in conflict with this. Possible explanations:
1) SS had the time wrong.
2) SS fabricated the story.
3) KR had multiple phones (possibly that her parents or LE didn't know about) or was signed into an app on someone else's phone

IMHO As with most early cases there are more unknowns than knowns. KR is a teen whose parents seemed to trust her judgment enough to have a car at 16 and be out with a group of friends and other party goers. At this point anything could have happened. What is concerning is the fact that she is still missing with a lot of speculation and a limited amount of facts. Hopefully, more will unfold soon.

I lived in the Reno area for two years, and this is my perspective. Long term locals please feel free to refute/clarify my thinking, as you know a lot more about the area than I do. IMO, this case is a challenge for LE. While Truckee/Tahoe is for the most part a small area in terms of people, this is not the case during the summer. The place is crowded, very much so. There is a large mix of people - local, regional and beyond. Literally anyone and everyone.

People have remarked on I80 as a quick out of there to Reno or Sacramento, and this is quite true.

One thing I do know from personally doing it several times, is it is very possible to get from the Reno area to the Stampede reservoir without every touching pavement. There are ways through from the Peavine mountain jeep trail system. This I did with a stock Rubicon. Not just any vehicle can do it, but it's not terribly hard either. It's not a stretch to say that it could be continued on to Prosser.

MOO, there are many variables here that would make this case tough to crack for LE - a number of different ways into and out of the area, and many different intersecting groups of people. I think we are going to need to be patient, maybe for quite awhile.

MOO.

Dog Valley Road ( aka: Heness Pass Road) is good graded road all the way from Verdi over Heness Pass to Stampede Reservoir. Her vehicle would have easily been able to do it.

Numerous helicopters and ground vehicles have checked out this route.

So, if this was a valid observation, it seems to coincide with what we know so far.
The cars all arriving around 9:30 pm would indicate that KR and ML, who rode to the party with her, knew what time it was going to get going. It has been stated, not confirmed, that she arrived around 9:45 pm. So that’s not unusual.
If everyone started leaving around 12:30 am, that is unusual. There is no last call at a party in the woods. It could mean a couple of things. One, it was getting cold and the kids decided to go party at a house somewhere. Two, the kids were, in fact, uncomfortable about the group of older guys who crashed the party and were allegedly pushing drugs. The younger crowd decided to take the party elsewhere. Three, something did happen to KR that the kids wanted no part of and they just beat feet. (I think if something major like this had happened, LE would know by now.)
The timing of KR’s last ping, 12:33 am, seems to coincide with this mass exodus. Why?
Does LE know yet where the kids went when they left the campground area? If so, they would probably know whether KR arrived at a second location with them.
Did KR stay behind when the high school kids left? Was it intentional or involuntary? If the high school kids left more or less all together and KR stayed behind, this may be why no one can give LE specifics on KR’s departure.
Has LE identified any of the “older” guys?
If KR left the area when the hs kids left around 12:30, she was either heading home as she told her mom she would or she tried to follow the other kids elsewhere. This would point to a scenario of some kind of MV accident, which would follow the theory of Occam’s razor.
MOO
I agree and I've been thinking about the text to mom to extend her curfew. If I'm not mistaken, she said she'd be leaving in about 45 minutes, which would put her home approx. 13+ minutes late.

But I just found it curious that she would text her mom an hour before her curfew and say she was leaving in 45 minutes. Personally, when I'm running late, or if my kids are, I'm/they're more likely to reach out closer to the original agreed-upon time. And then to say it will be 15 minutes later than originally planned.

In other words, when she texted her mom, she still had time to get home by curfew. How did she know she'd be late? She didn't just ask for an extra hour past her curfew or something. It just seemed oddly early (prior to her knowing/realizing she was going to be unavoidably late) and specific to me.

So, to me, it would seem to indicate (assuming she's the one texting) that she planned to do something else that was upcoming and/or going to take a specific amount of time. Something that came to mind was giving someone a ride home or, as has been suggested, going to a second location before going home.

I'm just wondering if she made plans to do something with some other person/persons at that point in the party, and then things went wrong.

This is all MOO, and I'm just thinking out loud...

I agree and I've been thinking about the text to mom to extend her curfew. If I'm not mistaken, she said she'd be leaving in about 45 minutes, which would put her home approx. 13+ minutes late.

But I just found it curious that she would text her mom an hour before her curfew and say she was leaving in 45 minutes. Personally, when I'm running late, or if my kids are, I'm/they're more likely to reach out closer to the original agreed-upon time. And then to say it will be 15 minutes later than originally planned.

In other words, when she texted her mom, she still had time to get home by curfew. How did she know she'd be late? She didn't just ask for an extra hour past her curfew or something. It just seemed oddly early (prior to her knowing/realizing she was going to be unavoidably late) and specific to me.

So, to me, it would seem to indicate (assuming she's the one texting) that she planned to do something else that was upcoming and/or going to take a specific amount of time. Something that came to mind was giving someone a ride home or, as has been suggested, going to a second location before going home.

I'm just wondering if she made plans to do something with some other person/persons at that point in the party, and then things went wrong.

Yeah, This feels wrong, forced like someone else sent that text

Dog Valley Road ( aka: Heness Pass Road) is good graded road all the way from Verdi over Heness Pass to Stampede Reservoir. Her vehicle would have easily been able to do it.

Numerous helicopters and ground vehicles have checked out this route.
Ah good. There's a high and low way through that way. The high way is quite scenic, more rugged than the lower trail.

It was my understanding that her curfew was initially 11:30 PM, which was when she made the call to extend it an additional hour, to 12:30 AM.

"August 5, 11:30 p.m. - Lindsey Nieman, Kiely's mother who gave Kiely permission to attend a party at the Prosser Campground received a text from her daughter asking if her curfew could be extended to 12:30 a.m." (LINK)

They should try to get her Snapchat records or other apps like Spotify. They could possibly gain info to her last location. If she was communicating with anyone shady, it likely would be through Snapchat. You could see her last location the last time she logged in.

From Snapchat:

“Every minute detail is recorded, including the people you have sent snap, the snap itself, and the timing. If you haven’t toggled off this option, it even keeps track of location and updates it on the Snapchat story itself.”
im sure they are but it takes a long time. i followed another case where a snap went out of 2 teen boys being tortured from their own phone and it took months to get the snaps.

Yeah, This feels wrong, forced like someone else sent that text
This case highlights many issues, including the dangers of texting. My kids had to use a code word in their texts to me when they were in group situations or I would know it wasn’t them. If only she had called her Mom instead, Mom might have been able to determine she wasn’t ok to drive, and a backup plan established. That text could have come from anyone

There seems to be so much emphasis on abduction, might that be taking away attention and resources from the much more likely accident scenario?

Have we heard details about how they have searched the roadsides and ravines on all the possible backroad routes to her family lodge? Have people slowly walked the roadsides looking for the slightest evidence of broken stalks or broken branches near ravines, dropoffs, hillsides?
Residents from Truckee have said here, that they were going door to door near the camp grounds.

The last article I can find, seems like they were still searching mostly near the campsite area. Water, land & Air.

"We are exhausting searching every area near the campground,” said Placer County Sheriff's Office public information officer Angela Musallam. "

Do salvage divers ever use things like underwater metal detectors or magnets to find metallic devices underwater?
They do- A friend of mine is one of our local salvage guys and he uses a 20lbs magnet on a rope to locate cars when they go off into the local canal- which they do every year or so. He basically goes back and forth with his boat until they get a hit. It can take a long time even when you know exactly where the car went in. Diving in murky water is almost useless because you can't see more than a foot which means you walk along the bottom with your hands until you find something. You can't really tell what you've searched already or what you've missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalloryK