Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys. I'm going to put something out there because it all still doesn't add up to me.

I drove out there again because it's just nagging at me. Before I was only on the paved road. Now that she didn't go off the boat ramp and was in another area entirely, I went out on the dirt roads instead, where the kids were that night.

And this is something I haven't heard mentioned yet and it's important.

We have heard people hypothesizing that she might have been going 30-40 mph.

I have a solid 4WD vehicle. This is what people need to understand. Those dirt roads are brutal. If you went 30-40 mph out there, your car would be destroyed. I didn't know and going about 5 mph, some things in my car got broken on the drive.

There are massive bumps and ruts in the road. Think speed bumps on steroids. Your car is lurching around even at slow speeds.

The beach is slightly smoother but it simply makes zero sense that she'd be driving fast. And there is plenty of time after exiting the very narrow brush fringed dirt roads to recognize you're on the beach. There is a steeper dropoff right toward the water otherwise it's a very gradual slope, very bumpy, and very obviously not the dirt road home.

I'm still having a tough time believing she drove herself into the water. Mostly I wanted people to understand how insanely rough the roads are in that area. And super narrow as well.

Actually from the maps at this location (party and where her car was found) there are only two forks in the two roads. Where did you get 30 to 40 minutes. I believe she said she would be home in 45 mins. meaning that she was going to leave later than expected hence her curfew extension from her mother (the discussion she had on the phone with her mom.) Its only a short distance to her family's hotel/lodge. I think its only 12 mins from the the campground and the campground is next or very close to the party site. We've been told by various media that she and her family were familliar with the campground.
The 12 miles didn’t consist of perfect paved roads. The party was at the Sanctuary area with 4 wheel drive needed uneven roads not nice level roads like over at the campground.
Plus she had the last few miles off road to get to the lodge that included navigating a tunnel with a creek bed.

I don’t doubt it would take at least 35-40 minutes at nighttime with no street lights.
JMO

Okay guys. I'm going to put something out there because it all still doesn't add up to me.

I drove out there again because it's just nagging at me. Before I was only on the paved road. Now that she didn't go off the boat ramp and was in another area entirely, I went out on the dirt roads instead, where the kids were that night.

I have a solid 4WD vehicle. This is what people need to understand. Those dirt roads are brutal. If you went 30-40 mph out there, your car would be destroyed. I didn't know and going about 5 mph, some things in my car got broken on the drive.

There are massive bumps and ruts in the road. Think speed bumps on steroids. Your car is lurching around even at slow speeds.

The beach is slightly smoother but it simply makes zero sense that she'd be driving fast. And there is plenty of time after exiting the very narrow brush fringed dirt roads to recognize you're on the beach. There is a steeper dropoff right toward the water otherwise it's a very gradual slope, very bumpy, and very obviously not the dirt road home.

I'm still having a tough time believing she drove herself into the water. Mostly I wanted people to understand how insanely rough the roads are in that area. And super narrow as well.
Whoa!

So it is more like an ATV trail than the sort of road most of us have likely been picturing?

Could she have driven along the beach from another entry point, and then entered the water?

The 12 miles didn’t consist of perfect paved roads. The party was at the Sanctuary area with 4 wheel drive needed uneven roads not nice level roads like over at the campground.
Plus she had the last few miles off road to get to the lodge through a tunnel with a creek bed. I don’t doubt it would take at least 35-40 minutes at nighttime with no street lights.
JMO
Simple. If you Google Map by car the Prosser Campground to The Lost Lodge it is 30 minutes by 89, IRRC, 30-35 min. via Alder Creek Rd. - a road less traveled. This was established here long ago.

Last edited:
IMO, knowing the area and "driving the area" should not be confused. At only 16, that's a very limited period to experience driving the park or elsewhere for that matter.
I'd be curious how much ATV and snowmobile experience she has, living at that lodge. Many kids here are riding those long before they drive.

Whoa!

So it is more like an ATV trail than the sort of road most of us have likely been picturing?

Could she have driven along the beach from another entry point, and then entered the water?
Yes you gotta imagine a totally narrow, brush on both sides, extremely rough dirt and rock road that literally has a sign at the beginning that says "not recommended" for cars. One lane for much of it. Super deep ruts, huge bumps. People having to stop to let others pass. I stopped to let a motorbike pass and don't know what I would have done if it were an oncoming car. I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned more in all the accounts of the searches. It's implausible that she wasn't going slow and it requires a decent amount of skill to drive it at all.

Well if she had rolled in driving along the beach instead, the damage would have been on the other side of the car. doesn't make sense she would go that way.

And falling asleep at the wheel? Implausible and she wouldn't have made it more than a few feet in that terrain.

Thank you for this important information.
I get it now that the road was treacherous.

As you stated, even at 5 mph, you sustained some damage to some items, and so going 40 mph would destroy the car.

Nevertheless, SOMEONE drove that car into that lake.

Her car WAS in the water, so someone somehow someway put it there. Whether fast or slow, whether cautious or reckless, whether Kiely or someone else, it must be possible because it happened.

Perhaps it did go off the boat ramp after all and then floated or lurched over to where it was found, but the physics involved make that seem very unlikely.

Also, you're local and so you know that she had plenty of time to recognize she was on the beach, but if she was not sober, she may not have. I've seen drunk people who don't even know they are home when they are.

Imo

Simple. If you Google Map by car the Prosser Campground to The Lost Lodge it is 30 minutes by 89, IRRC, 30-35 min. via Alder Creek Rd. - a road less traveled. This was well established here long ago.
That's not taking into account the super slow dirt road portion, I'm sure. She was not at the Prosser Campground

Another article on Kiely. Per this one, LE is not disclosing the manner and cause of death. I would think if the autopsy reveals no foul play, releasing that info would not be a problem. Outside of something intentional, it may be out of respect for the family (in which case it may never be released) or they are waiting for the toxicology report to cover all the bases.
We may never know since she’s a minor
I was expecting to hear that outcome as well... I'm surprised they didn't release of there was water in her lungs I feel they would want to get that info out there to quiet the rumors as fast as possible
I don’t know the laws in CA/NV but because she is a minor they may choose not to release any of the results JMO

Thank you for this important information.
I get it now that the road was treacherous.

As you stated, even at 5 mph, you sustained some damage to some items, and so going 40 mph would destroy the car.

Nevertheless, SOMEONE drove that car into that lake.

Her car WAS in the water, so someone somehow someway put it there. Whether fast or slow, whether cautious or reckless, whether Kiely or someone else, it must be possible because it happened.

Perhaps it did go off the boat ramp after all and then floated or lurched over to where it was found, but the physics involved make that seem very unlikely.

Imo
Agreed someone put it in the lake. You could I'm sure get that car rolling fast enough down the beach to get it in the lake. Maybe Kiely was a daredevil driver but I'm just not seeing it. Anyone who cared about getting home or their car not losing its transmission on the way home, even if inebriated, wasn't driving 30-40 mph. OTOH someone trying to get rid of evidence might just let it roll at any speed down the beach.

It's my understanding she'd been out there many times previously. The beach is not the way home. And it's a very very obvious change of terrain.

Yes you gotta imagine a totally narrow, brush on both sides, extremely rough dirt and rock road that literally has a sign at the beginning that says "not recommended" for cars. One lane for much of it. Super deep ruts, huge bumps. People having to stop to let others pass. I stopped to let a motorbike pass and don't know what I would have done if it were an oncoming car. I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned more in all the accounts of the searches. It's implausible that she wasn't going slow and it requires a decent amount of skill to drive it at all.

Well if she had rolled in driving along the beach instead, the damage would have been on the other side of the car. doesn't make sense she would go that way.

And falling asleep at the wheel? Implausible and she wouldn't have made it more than a few feet in that terrain.

Wow, that's nuts! We have similar trails/roads around here, so I can picture it. One even has some houses along it and I don't understand what the ppl do who live out there. I drove on it once in a Jeep and some of the homes had low, ordinary vehicles, like Chevy Cavaliers parked out there....No, thanks!

Ok, so question then: how did AWP and all the LE get down there? There must be something easier to travel on down to the beach where you can easily get to where she was found ? How would they have gotten all their equipment down in there??

Fabulous sleuthing, @Truckeeite! Could very well support the idea that KR and her car went into the reservoir another way than driving straight down that slope.

Wow, that's nuts! We have similar trails/roads around here, so I can picture it. One even has some houses along it and I don't understand what the ppl do who live out there. I drove on it once in a Jeep and some of the homes had low, ordinary vehicles, like Chevy Cavaliers parked out there....No, thanks!

Ok, so question then: how did AWP and all the LE get down there? There must be something easier to travel on down to the beach where you can easily get to where she was found ? How would they have gotten all their equipment down in there??
Great question. There were ribbons tied in bushes all along the road that I would guess were markers for people involved in the search but I do not know. I saw the little memorial for her down on the beach. It was definitely what we've all been looking at on the maps re theorizing that she took a "wrong turn."

AWP went directly to the right spot and found her in less than 30 min. MOO- LE had good, not public, data on her last phone position(s) that led them to that area vs the easiest way to get into the water, the boat ramp. They didn't just randomly select that spot.

We have no idea what a drunk 16yr old might do at a party in the middle of the night after having been left alone by all of her friends. She may have been driving on the beach for all we know.

AWP went directly to the right spot and found her in less than 30 min. MOO- LE had good, not public, data on her last phone position(s) that led them to that area vs the easiest way to get into the water, the boat ramp. They didn't just randomly select that spot.

We have no idea what a drunk 16yr old might do at a party in the middle of the night after having been left alone by all of her friends. She may have been driving on the beach for all we know.
Does anyone know if it's possible that the last ping was after the car was already submerged? I know some phones now do have a high degree of waterproofing. I know some have said the pings don't go through water. Is that always true?

Oh my. Yes, you're right. I hope she didn't feel so upset and angry that she decided to do something stupid by driving straight into the water.
The drink/drugs could have added to any emotional and angry state too.

I hope it wasn't the case, but it's a possibility.

MOO.

Do you have footage or pics of the area you’re speaking about? That might help us all get a sense for the terrain you’re referring to. I haven’t been to Prosser camp in forever so can’t recall the roads super well, but I do frequent the area a couple times a year and IIrC, even the dirt roads are typical campground roads with some hinky spots you’d just be expected to avoid (though hard to do if one is impaired…).

** I am also really wildly unsure how we arrived at any speed at which her car would have been traveling on a dirt road—let alone 30-40 MPH. Whose assessment is that? Seems way off to me for any dirt road (I’m an avid off road motorcyclist and rarely get to 40MPH)… JMHO but I feel uncomfortable with clocking her speed that high when we don’t even know from whence the car was coming when it went in to the water…). MOO.

IIRC they showed the area where the partygoers parked in some of the early videos (when SS was speaking with the media, pointing out the area).

I will now see if I can go back and find exactly where she pointed out the cars would have been parked and place them relative to the Forestry Map…

homework beginning in 3-2-1…

Edited by me for typos.

Last edited:
Agreed someone put it in the lake. You could I'm sure get that car rolling fast enough down the beach to get it in the lake. Maybe Kiely was a daredevil driver but I'm just not seeing it. Anyone who cared about getting home or their car not losing its transmission on the way home, even if inebriated, wasn't driving 30-40 mph. OTOH someone trying to get rid of evidence might just let it roll at any speed down the beach.

It's my understanding she'd been out there many times previously. The beach is not the way home. And it's a very very obvious change of terrain.
Good to read your local thoughts. Now... if she was blasted out of her mind, and managed to make it through the trees somehow to the open beach area, maybe she was so far gone in her mind that she didn't even notice the sudden lack of trees and open space. Moon had set, no street lights, no light pollution. She was probably not in a sober state of mind to react quickly, perhaps had even passed out by then. Or when/if she realized she was near water it was too late. And the elevation dips considerably at the edge so you could probably just casually roll down the edge and perhaps even flip over. Just speculating here. I also tend to feel this was a terrible accident or a cover up. Too many things have been said by vocal friends to deflect the scene from there. Not one person said "I hope she didn't make a wrong turn into the water" and instead we've read "she was abducted."

What if the car started to roll, and she slammed her foot down on the accelerator instead of the brake? It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine