Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Interesting. The two defense lawyers - who are presumably on the same side - are objecting to each other's questions?! Don't they consult with each other before they go to trial?! This is making them look sloppy & unprepared. Not at all surprised, however.

This would be laughable - if the case itself weren't so serious.

- The cadaver dog(s) testimony is very convincing. I.e., several different dogs alerted to the same spot(s) in the dorm room at several different times. I.e., yes - you could argue that maybe 1 of the dogs made an error (which I still think is unlikely). But, to have 2-3 dogs alert in the same place is significant & telling. It's also very significant that they didn't alert anywhere else in the area.

Last edited:
I have a purely hypothetical question if there are any attorneys* reading and posting here (*or those otherwise familiar with the law on this):

If Ruben were to have asked his attorney (Mesick) to make a few "mistakes" that might serve Paul's poential for an appeal - even while doing nothing to serve Ruben's defense interests - I assume that would be considered unethical.

Would it be cause for disbarment? Or, just something the prosecution would need to be alert to, to forward an objection?

Wednesday, August 31st:
*Trial continues (Day 20) (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Kristin Denise Smart (19) (missing May 25, 1996 while walking back to her dorm from a off campus frat party at Cal Poly, reported missing on May 26, 1996, San Luis Obispo, still missing; legally declared dead on May 25, 2002) – *Paul Ruben Flores (19 @ time of crime/44/now 45) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Ruben Ricardo Flores (55 @ time of crime/80/now 81) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with accessory to murder after the fact. Plead not guilty. $250K bond. Bond was lower to $50K. Has posted bond (4/22/21), out of jail.
Trial began on 7/18/22 with opening statements for Paul in am & Ruben in pm (which was continued on 7/21/22).
Paul’s attorney Robert Sanger & Ruben’s is Harold V. Mesick. Prosecutor is Christopher Peuvrelle. Judge Jennifer O’Keefe presiding.
Judge O’Keefe has blocked defense attorney Sanger from suggesting someone else killed Smart unless he can provide evidence of direct involvement.
Trial has been moved from San Luis Obispo County to Monterey County in Salinas. For 2 juries each: 12 jurors & 8 alternates; Paul’s: 8 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women (still waiting for correction). 8/4/22: Another juror from Ruben's jury is out this morning & an alternate was sworn in to replace them. So now the count is correct at 19. 8/10/22: Sick juror did not return, alternate sworn in. Paul’s: 7 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women. (a guess on genders)

Case & court info from 5/17/21 thru Final Jury Selection Day 1-2 (7/11 & 7/12/22 for Ruben) & 7/14 thru 7/19/22 & Trial Day 1-4 (7/18, 7/21-7/25/22) & 7/26/22 & Trial Day 5-9 (8/1 to 8/8/22), (no court on 8/9/22) & Trial Day 10-18 (8/10-8/29/22) reference post #940 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-44

8/30/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 19: State witnesses: Senior Sheriff's Deputy Jason Nadal. SLO Deputy Greg Smith, Sheriff Dept. Major Crimes. Kris Black, Asst. Director for the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Search & Rescue team.
For more info see posts #941 to 960 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-48
State witnesses continued: Kris Black, Asst. Director for the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Search & Rescue team.
For more info see posts #961 to 963 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-49
Trial continues on 8/31/22.

- Interesting. The two defense lawyers - who are presumably on the same side - are objecting to each other's questions?! Don't they consult with each other before they go to trial?! This is making them look sloppy & unprepared. Not at all surprised, however.

This would be laughable - if the case itself weren't so serious.

- The cadaver dog(s) testimony is very convincing. I.e., several different dogs alerted to the same spot(s) in the dorm room at several different times. I.e., yes - you could argue that maybe 1 of the dogs made an error (which I still think is unlikely). But, to have 2-3 dogs alert in the same place is significant & telling. It's also very significant that they didn't alert anywhere else in the area.
I feel I read that they combine the trails as a matter of "convivence" of jury selection and publicity of the case. They each have different juries and are on trial for different counts. So to me they are "on the same side, but not." I am guessing it's also not like the depp v heard trial where they were all from the same firm. just IMO

I feel I read that they combine the trails as a matter of "convivence" of jury selection and publicity of the case. They each have different juries and are on trial for different counts. So to me they are "on the same side, but not."

This may be, but the optics of this trial (or any trial) are important. And, with these objections it honestly looks like they're at odds with each other.

Really trying their hardest and failing to discredit cadaver dog searches. Do you really think they would certify a dog for this kind of work if they went on off topic searches while in the middle of searching for cadavers. Oh yeah, they're gonna send a dog out there that runs around smelling for dogs in heat and food <end sarcasm>

This may be, but the optics of this trial (or any trial) are important. And, with these objections it honestly looks like they're at odds with each other.
I understand what your saying. But each jury is also looking for different information for convictions. I mean at the end of the day if their poor cooperation will only likely lead to some resolution towards Kristen hopefully.

Agreed completely that the defense attorneys objections to the cadaver dog searches (and their accompanying attempts at discrediting the cadaver dog handlers) are ridiculous & come off as sounding desperate. If anything, this trial has made me much more appreciative of cadaver dogs & their skills - something I wasn't that aware of before this. Again, more than 1 of these skilled dogs alerting to the same place - at different times - is definitely not a coincidence.

And, anyone who's ever spent any time around dogs (even if you've never owned one) can completely attest that their sense of smell is a hell of lot stronger than any human(s).

Last edited:
Really trying their hardest and failing to discredit cadaver dog searches. Do you really think they would certify a dog for this kind of work if they went on off topic searches while in the middle of searching for cadavers. Oh yeah, they're gonna send a dog out there that runs around smelling for dogs in heat and food <end sarcasm>

I've been on two juries. One was a civil case and one was a criminal case.

In both, I thought the defense was flailing around with Squirrel! Squirrel! Look over there! arguments because there was nothing factual that they could present to counter the prosecution's case.

Thursday, Sept. 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 21) (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Kristin Denise Smart (19) (missing May 25, 1996 while walking back to her dorm from a off campus frat party at Cal Poly, reported missing on May 26, 1996, San Luis Obispo, still missing; legally declared dead on May 25, 2002) – *Paul Ruben Flores (19 @ time of crime/44/now 45) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Ruben Ricardo Flores (55 @ time of crime/80/now 81) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with accessory to murder after the fact. Plead not guilty. $250K bond. Bond was lower to $50K. Has posted bond (4/22/21), out of jail.
Trial began on 7/18/22 with opening statements for Paul in am & Ruben in pm (which was continued on 7/21/22).
Paul’s attorney Robert Sanger & Ruben’s is Harold V. Mesick. Prosecutor is Christopher Peuvrelle. Judge Jennifer O’Keefe presiding.
Judge O’Keefe has blocked defense attorney Sanger from suggesting someone else killed Smart unless he can provide evidence of direct involvement.
Trial has been moved from San Luis Obispo County to Monterey County in Salinas. For 2 juries each: 12 jurors & 8 alternates; Paul’s: 8 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women (still waiting for correction). 8/4/22: Another juror from Ruben's jury is out this morning & an alternate was sworn in to replace them. So now the count is correct at 19. 8/10/22: Sick juror did not return, alternate sworn in. Paul’s: 7 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women. (a guess on genders)

Case & court info from 5/17/21 thru Final Jury Selection Day 1-2 (7/11 & 7/12/22 for Ruben) & 7/14 thru 7/19/22 & Trial Day 1-4 (7/18, 7/21-7/25/22) & 7/26/22 & Trial Day 5-9 (8/1 to 8/8/22), (no court on 8/9/22) & Trial Day 10-19 (8/10-8/30/22) reference post #940 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-44

8/31/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 20: State witnesses: Karen Atkinson, certified dog handler since 2012. No other info yet, will update on tomorrow’s post since I am not allowed to post any tweets.... :)
For more info see posts #972 to 974, here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-49
Trial continues on 9/1/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member