Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems so unlike their other content, I cannot help but think they have seen/learned something that has them so upset that they're having a very difficult time with it. I would rather think they're just screwing up, and they're not the good guys they seemed to be....
Realistically, it's quite a leap for a crew of civilians to go from diving for trinkets and cell phones in their spare time to confronting the reality of a deceased 16 y/o young lady in the back of a sunken car. Perhaps LE should more closely liaise with volunteers/civilian groups to help them navigate things. Or more experienced groups could mentor newly formed teams. These things are so delicate for families. jmo

My understanding is the tow truck driver did not realize Kiely was missing until some time had passed, and then put things together and reported it. So, he probably had a lot of incoming and outgoing calls, and if you think about it, how would he know which random phone number was associated?
Her license plate was publicized when she was missing and police and the public were on the lookout for her car.

Tow truck companies require you to give your license plate number as pertinent info. I'm positive his office keeps all this data online. A simple search would reveal if that license plate was the vehicle in question, and he can see that the call regarding that plate was the same call made by whichever boy was allegedly with the alleged Kiely.

He probably has to help a lot of stranded people, yet he somehow was able to remember this one girl, but not the day when he helped her? Doesn't compute to me.

But I respect everyone else having his or her own opinion, and in time we will know all that the public has a right to know.

Realistically, it's quite a leap for a crew of civilians to go from diving for trinkets and cell phones in their spare time to confronting the reality of a deceased 16 y/o young lady in the back of a sunken car. Perhaps LE should more closely liaise with volunteers/civilian groups to help them navigate things. Or more experienced groups could mentor newly formed teams. These things are so delicate for families. jmo
Diving for trinkets?

Agreed. However, that proves to me that they did not consult or show the family first otherwise, they wouldn’t have had to reach out to them to take it down. IMO.

I do believe AWP are heroes and I think they are still learning as they go. JMO
If I remember correctly, this is their first ongoing and not cold case. I would think dealing with families is very different. Kiely's family is raw and grieving. But in their other cases, families are grateful to have closure after so many years of not knowing. AWP is amazing and pretty tough to be all things to everyone in a new type of search. I would just say to cut them some slack so they can continue the work. They will never unsee the things they saw when they found Kiely.

Diving for trinkets?

I don't think anyone meant disrespect to AWP. I think they're referring to the early days of the group where they began as an environmentalist group, cleaning up junk in various waterways:

Bishop said Adventures with Purpose actually started out as an environmentalist group. The founder, Jared Leisek, was into diving and cleaning up waterways to help clean the environment.

"His efforts led to a vehicle being discovered underwater here in the city of Portland, Oregon," Bishop told FOX Television Stations. "Then he started focusing on just pulling vehicles out."

Leisek then paired up with Bishop, who owned a towing company, to start pulling vehicles from the water for environmental purposes. They also used sonar equipment.

But one of the vehicles they pulled out contained human remains. When word got out, people started calling the pair, believing their missing loved ones may, too, be underwater.

One of their first tragic finds was the body of Ethan Kazmerzak in 2020. His mother found out about the duo and asked them if they could help find her 22-year-old son who had gone missing sometime in September 2013.

Here’s my take on why AWP is releasing this info. They have no faith in the police department.

I’ve seen the video of the transducer picking up the car. Its a 2D Image that a $400 fishing graph would show clear as day. There’s no massive boulders in the immediate area, therefore there’s no reason to think the lake bed would contain them. Anyone with a fishing graph made after 2005ish would see it.

Add in a downscan and side scan technology and you can make out objects in real time. You’d be able to clearly see tires and the car structure. You can pick them up for 1,500 or less from bass pro shop, most fisherman have them. Prosser sheriff was out there with 15k drones and saw nothing or overlooked it.

IMO, it’s such gross negligence on their part AWP probably feels like they’re over looking the information they added in their video. And honestly as someone who uses these graphs all the time, I can’t say they’re wrong. There’s little interpretation on something that size in that shallow of water.

The second they find the car, they all are Speechless that it was missed and I think the distrust started there.

Attached is a $1,100 graph showing what side scan looks like at 145’. In 15’ it’d be even clearer, especially in such a clear lake. These graphs even have the ability to map out lake beds, showing you exactly what’s been scanned and what hasn’t. There’s no excuse outside of incompetence.

Attachments

• 65C16FAE-BA2C-41E8-ADA9-CBCC0F47FDE7.jpeg
    65C16FAE-BA2C-41E8-ADA9-CBCC0F47FDE7.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 99
Her license plate was publicized when she was missing and police and the public were on the lookout for her car.

Tow truck companies require you to give your license plate number as pertinent info. I'm positive his office keeps all this data online. A simple search would reveal if that license plate was the vehicle in question, and he can see that the call regarding that plate was the same call made by whichever boy was allegedly with the alleged Kiely.

He probably has to help a lot of stranded people, yet he somehow was able to remember this one girl, but not the day when he helped her? Doesn't compute to me.

But I respect everyone else having his or her own opinion, and in time we will know all that the public has a right to know.

I do not believe he owned the business. So a week or so after she went missing, I'm not sure he would have access. That is the point I was making, and the type of detail I think/hope the full length video clears up.

I agree--if you scroll back, I commented the same--about the license plates and similar information when AAA or similar sends a local company out to assist a motorist.

He could have seen Kiely, he could have seen someone who resembles Kiely. I do not have a strong opinion either way. Based on what little I have seen, he seems credible. I can't come up with any reason for the guy to make this up. Can you?

In terms of what does not compute for you: Let's say it was in fact Kiely, or Kiely's CRV. If he saw one or both, whether it was Friday OR Saturday around 11-noon? She had not been reported missing yet. (Or if he saw her Friday, the party had not happened yet. But if it was Friday, wasn't she making creme brulees with Kate?) He remembered the call because the motorist and passenger were behaving strangely, and some time later (a week or more) saw a flyer and made the connection. Bot remembering the exact day doesn't seem that weird to me, as it was several weeks ago, and I'm assuming the guy is busy.

Again, assuming there would be call logs, the license plate info, etc which we both agree is standard, that LE can track down, I lean towards it being a real call. If not, the guy obviously has some serious issues.

There is some discussion about the car in neutral because the wheels were moving when the car was brought out of the water. Wouldn't LE put it in neutral to tow it out? I thought that is common practice?

Just my opinion,
AWP knows full well that as soon as a missing person's vehicle is located, they are a witness, not a participant in LE's investigation. They report what they see, LE and the ME take it from there. They aren't involved in any forensics and shouldn't be commenting on this specific case at this time.
IMO AWP is just stating what they see just like the people who have gone to Prosser Res and have driven around videoing the scene of the party and where KR may or may not have driven. Nothing these people observed is any different than AWP saying what they observed. IMO AWP didn’t insert themselves into an investigation or reveal some evidence that will hamper any case. They are very good at what they do and probably have some knowledge from all the vehicles they’ve seen as to suspicious or foul play or accident. Maybe they don’t know for certain but they could have a little more knowledge than the average person who doesn’t do this sort of thing. I imagine they make it very clear to everyone involved that they are filming in order to send out a video after. That must have been understood beforehand in order to film private citizens. Regardless, I’m glad they found her and I’m glad we were able to see how the windows were before the car was lifted out because I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about that. I think it gave us a little more information. I am really curious about the roadside guy and whether his story actually turns out to be true and if so, was it KR who he helped or just someone that looked like her.

Thank you for your I in
Here’s my take on why AWP is releasing this info. They have no faith in the police department.

I’ve seen the video of the transducer picking up the car. Its a 2D Image that a $400 fishing graph would show clear as day. There’s no massive boulders in the immediate area, therefore there’s no reason to think the lake bed would contain them. Anyone with a fishing graph made after 2005ish would see it.

Add in a downscan and side scan technology and you can make out objects in real time. You’d be able to clearly see tires and the car structure. You can pick them up for 1,500 or less from bass pro shop, most fisherman have them. Prosser sheriff was out there with 15k drones and saw nothing or overlooked it.

IMO, it’s such gross negligence on their part AWP probably feels like they’re over looking the information they added in their video. And honestly as someone who uses these graphs all the time, I can’t say they’re wrong. There’s little interpretation on something that size in that shallow of water.

The second they find the car, they all are Speechless that it was missed and I think the distrust started there.

Attached is a $1,100 graph showing what side scan looks like at 145’. In 15’ it’d be even clearer, especially in such a clear lake. These graphs even have the ability to map out lake beds, showing you exactly what’s been scanned and what hasn’t. There’s no excuse outside of incompetence.
Thank you for your interesting insights. Clearly you know about these data. That said, some of us here have considered whether KR and her car were dumped into Prosser Lake after NCSO completed their search. So I'm not sure LE incompetence is a fair charge just yet, especially without more information. It could be there is an evil doer(s) at large. I'm just sad for KR.

Thank you for your I in
Thank you for your interesting insights. Clearly you know about these data. That said, some of us here have considered whether KR and her car were dumped into Prosser Lake after NCSO completed their search. So I'm not sure LE incompetence is a fair charge just yet, especially without more information. It could be there is an evil doer(s) at large. I'm just sad for KR.
It’s possible, but the boat landing was directly across the lake from where the car went in. You can see for a few miles out there. You’d be hard pressed to dump a car in the lake during the day without calling attention. So they’d have to wait for darkness. Unless the area wasn’t being immediately searched or they were the luckiest people ever.

I dunno that I can imagine some 16 year olds hiding a car with a body in it for a full day and sneaking out to dump it in the exact spot you’d figure theyd look. Seems like a lot of work to go back to the assumed crime scene. Why not dump it in Boca or some other less traveled lake.

It was most likely an accident but the broken side and damage to the front end is hard to explain after seeing videos of people struggling to drive over the speed their car would idle forward in.

Does AWP make videos about other cars/people they find...?

Or has it been just Kiely?

If they do make videos about their other cases, are they usually so sensationalist with their opinions?

I understand they need a bit of publicity, but I feel they should just come in, do their work, find the car/person and then go quietly. It would look more professional.

MOO.

They have a full time videographer. They’ve all been pretty well filmed, but I believe this is the first non cold case they’ve done
Yes, I can see how a videographer is needed to document their recoveries so they their videos can be used as evidence and in legal matters....but when they start to try and sensationalize their work for 'clicks and likes' it cheapens their organisation and their work, and they may lose the huge respect and admiration they've built up.

MOO.

A lot of people will probably disagree with what I’m about to say. Let me preface it by saying that I think AWP is a wonderful organization which does a phenomenal job.

However, being involved in an active investigation is very different from searching for someone in a cold case, which is what AWP had done prior to becoming involved in Kiely’s case.

We do not know what LE knows or doesn’t know about the night KR disappeared. We don’t know what evidence has been collected. We do know that in parallel investigations like this LE is 1) trying to find the missing person, and 2) trying to find out how or why they disappeared. #2 is extremely important because if it turns out the cause of the disappearance is foul play, they want to have gathered all evidence they can so that they can use it at trial.

AWP are highly trained at what they do. Remember, they started out looking for salvage and became very proficient at finding vehicles under water. However, they are not trained investigators. They are not forensics experts. They are not under oath. They should not be leaking things that have anything to do with the scene of KR’s demise. The should not have mentioned the condition of the car, if the windows were broken or up or down, or where the body was positioned in the car. To say that they thought the vehicle might have been in neutral is highly irresponsible and only contributes wild theories and speculation.

By calling the parents before LE, it reminds me of the guy, or gal, who always wants to be the first one to announce the bad news, or the reporter who wants to break the story before they verify the facts.

I am thrilled AWP found Kiely. The resulting publicity will be huge for their organization. However, they would get the same publicity without making public statements that could jeopardize an ongoing investigation. I still believe this is likely an accident, but if it isn’t? And what about the next case?

If AWP wants to continue to work with LE agencies on open cases, they will have to step down with the big announcements to gain publicity and stop divulging confidential information about evidence found. MOO
OldCop, you are truly the voice of reason. Thank you for adding clarity and the importance of allowing LE to investigate and gather crucial information. Leaking potentially delicate data only makes determining the cause of death In a timely manner.

JMO: I find AWP's treatment of the case, even when they announced finding her far before LE were on-scene/anything was confirmed, a bit troubling. Sharing things like the small amount of time it took to find the car the same day created a lot of pushback and speculation towards LE, and added more hysteria to the other less-moderated, less-civil online forums like Facebook/Youtubers/etc.

The release of this video, especially behind a paywall, is also troubling. Teasing out what, from the public's knowledge, is unconfirmed information, is going to further fan the flames towards other teenagers, non of which LE has given any indication are involved.

That being said, I don't think this is being done with a bad motive, or that they're bad actors per se. I think this is a new scenario for them—a case that was very much not yet cold—and it's important that they're recognized for the work that they do, even if that means over-advocating for themselves in clickbaity ways.

The moral is, the world of true crime speculation on social media post-Gabby Petito is nothing like it was a few years ago. There are certainly bad actors or people with huge platforms that are stirring the pot for views. There are unmoderated forums for accusation and discussion, where full names of teenagers not remotely named by LE to be POIs are being circulated, their online presence broken down and examined.

I imagine for a group like AWP, who is new to this world and doing amazing work generally, it would be difficult to see what a lot of people behind keyboards are becoming hungrier and hungrier to see—drama, conspiracy, etc. I hope that if none of these leads they presented in the video turn out to be true, that they are able to learn and continue to help families of those missing without feeding the flames.

OldCop, you are truly the voice of reason. Thank you for adding clarity and the importance of allowing LE to investigate and gather crucial information. Leaking potentially delicate data only makes determining the cause of death In a timely manner.
Nothing they released is privileged or private. I don’t see how it hinders an investigation. I really believe they believe something nefarious went on and gave this information to make sure it’s followed up on. The cryptic message about releasing more videos depending on where the investigation goes suggests they don’t believe the cops are doing their jobs.

On the other hand, if they’re wrong - good luck having anyone call you in the future. I think they realize they’re putting their reputation on the line and wouldn’t do so without good reason.

Too often we treat these police departments like they can do no wrong. I believe it becomes such a dog and pony show when you get this many agencies participating that things get overlooked. It’s happened a lot in the past, too many cooks in the kitchen

Yes, I can see how a videographer is needed to document their recoveries so they their videos can be used as evidence and in legal matters....but when they start to try and sensationalize their work for 'clicks and likes' it cheapens their organisation and their work, and they may lose the huge respect and admiration they've built up.

MOO.
YouTube/social media are a blessing and a curse.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members