Judges double Oscar Pistorius' sentence to 13 years, 5 months - 24. Nov. 2017

Re reading Chappell's article after all these years, I am more and more convinced the shooting happened pretty much exactly as the Stipps reported it.

Roux managed to misrepresent the evidence of the other witnesses which was more confused.

SA’s “restorative justice” process requires offenders to speak with victims or their family members. In order to comply, he sent a letter to the Steenkamps which they described as “emotionally distressing” and is “thought to be his first contact with them since his 2014 trial”. A meeting has reportedly been arranged and OP’s lawyer, Julian Knight, was hopeful it could occur before the end of the year.

I find it crazy he can be paroled without admitting what he did.

However, June would like him to see out his full sentence. She said, “This has been a horror story for us. We haven’t had the full story” and “He changed his mind three times under oath to a different story and we don’t believe that’s the truth”. She doesn’t think that she and her husband’s wishes are “going to have that much influence” over whether he is deemed eligible for parole.

ITA agree with everything June has said. No contact with the Steenkamps since 2014 and, like the grandiose narcissist he is, he's only making contact with them now that he may be eligible for parole. He's still only thinking of himself and couldn't give a toss about the Steenkamps. I hope the meeting is a total failure.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/crime/955107/will-oscar-pistorius-go-free-parole

Tania Koen, the Steenkamps’ lawyer said in a statement, "(I can) confirm Barry Steenkamp and Oscar Pistorius participated in a victim-offender dialogue on 22 June 2022" but made no further comment due to her clients’ privacy. The meeting is part of the process for seeking parole in SA.

He has been transferred back to the Atteridgeville Correctional facility. A spokesman for the Department of Correctional Services said that he’ll continue serving his sentence as participating in the victim-offender dialogue does not equate to an end of sentence nor parole.

Reeva's parents have voiced their anger over his bid for parole and want him to serve the full length of his prison sentence. I agree with everything they said.

8/31/2022

Under South African law, offenders who serve half their sentence are eligible for parole – a milestone Pistorius says he reached in February 2021.

"I humbly submit that I have done everything in my power to rehabilitate, to conduct myself in such a manner as to constantly comply with prison rules, to show full remorse," Pistorius said in a statement to the judges, according to the local news site.

"I have completed all possible programs which were presented, and I have indeed qualified in terms of the Department of Correctional Services guidelines for release on parole," the statement continued.

As part of the parole process, Pistorius met with Steenkamp's father, Barry Steenkamp, in June.

[..]

But officials at Attteridgeville prison, where he is being held, say the country's highest court has given contradictory rulings and they need guidance on how to calculate the amount of time he has served.

8/31/2022

In 2017, SCA said that Pistorius should serve 13 years and five months for the murder of Ms Steenkamp - overturning a previous, more lenient punishment of six years for murder.

Last year, the same court ruled that his current term should be backdated to October 2014, when he was initially sentenced for a lesser charge of culpable homicide.

Pistorius argues that this backdating means he became eligible for parole in February last year.
He wants Gauteng's High Court to order the parole board to convene a hearing for him. If that request is granted, he wants the hearing to be within 30 days of the order saying so.

But Atteridgeville prison, where he is being held, says the court of appeal has given contradictory rulings.

The Department of Correctional Services also says it is seeking a court judgement to establish the date when his sentence effectively began.

8/31/2022

In 2017, SCA said that Pistorius should serve 13 years and five months for the murder of Ms Steenkamp - overturning a previous, more lenient punishment of six years for murder.

Last year, the same court ruled that his current term should be backdated to October 2014, when he was initially sentenced for a lesser charge of culpable homicide.

Pistorius argues that this backdating means he became eligible for parole in February last year.
He wants Gauteng's High Court to order the parole board to convene a hearing for him. If that request is granted, he wants the hearing to be within 30 days of the order saying so.

But Atteridgeville prison, where he is being held, says the court of appeal has given contradictory rulings.

The Department of Correctional Services also says it is seeking a court judgement to establish the date when his sentence effectively began.
Quite demanding for a murderer.
Too bad we can’t backdate it all so Reeva would be alive. JMO

“He came in, he went on his knees and he took my hand and shook it. He thanked me and told me how sorry he was and how he can’t stop thinking about that moment. I didn’t say I forgive you, I just said ‘Thank you’,” Mr Steenkamp said.

Reeva’s parents, Barry and June Steenkamp, said they “fully endorsed the truth in this documentary and show the world who Reeva really was.” The film follows them on an emotional journey as they endure a victim offender dialogue with their daughter’s murderer.
“My Name Is Reeva” world premiered on the South African pay TV channel M-Net on Aug. 25 to strong ratings, according to Keshet International

❤️

The matter was on the roll before the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, last week and due to be heard on Friday. However, the judge assigned to the case removed it from the roll by agreement between the parties.

According to the calculations of Pistorius and Knight, he has served half of the total of 15 years imposed by the Supreme Court of Appeal.

But prison authorities said in their court papers that according to their calculations, he would have only served half of his sentence in March next year.

The confusion regarding his time spent in jail followed the various appeals and orders issued by the Supreme Court after trial Judge Thokozile Masipa of the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, sentenced him to six years in prison in October 2014.

Pistorius said he had, meanwhile, done everything within his power to ensure that all from his side was in place. He noted that he was a model prisoner. “I humbly submit that I have done everything in my power to rehabilitate, to conduct myself in such a manner as to constantly comply with the prison rules and to show full remorse.”

Very confusing!

By my count he has served 8 years? i.e. since October 21, 2014

Of course he wasn't actually in jail for some of that

ETA - it seems he had only done 500 days by the time of his murder conviction

The matter was on the roll before the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, last week and due to be heard on Friday. However, the judge assigned to the case removed it from the roll by agreement between the parties.

According to the calculations of Pistorius and Knight, he has served half of the total of 15 years imposed by the Supreme Court of Appeal.

But prison authorities said in their court papers that according to their calculations, he would have only served half of his sentence in March next year.

The confusion regarding his time spent in jail followed the various appeals and orders issued by the Supreme Court after trial Judge Thokozile Masipa of the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, sentenced him to six years in prison in October 2014.

Pistorius said he had, meanwhile, done everything within his power to ensure that all from his side was in place. He noted that he was a model prisoner. “I humbly submit that I have done everything in my power to rehabilitate, to conduct myself in such a manner as to constantly comply with the prison rules and to show full remorse.”

Confusing indeed! I'd find it rather shocking if the court suddenly wanted to redefine the term "credit for time served" -- typically employed at sentencing.

From the link:

But at that stage he had already served slightly more than 500 days behind bars in terms of his culpable homicide conviction.

But the Supreme Court again amended his sentence and ruled the 13 years and five months sentence should be antedated to the date in 2014 when he was initially sentenced by Judge Masipa. Taking this into account, Knight said that he had thus already served half of his jail time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back