Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thought: When they were on the water, Doug from AWP mentioned he has a daughter the same age as Kiely. I would think that factors in as well here. How could he not be thinking about his own daughter? I know I would.

Maybe that has impacted some of their judgment, and made them more emotional vs rational? That could be? If they really strongly feel like there could be more to this than a night of bad decisions and driver error?

Doug also mentions those parties (or similar words). IMO he is not a father who is easily fooled and he knows what happens at such parties and he knows that those who attended usually know more than they will tell. Been there, done that probably.

Doug also mentions those parties (or similar words). IMO he is not a father who is easily fooled and he knows what happens at such parties and he knows that those who attended usually know more than they will tell. Been there, done that probably.
Right.

I'm not a long time viewer, but from what I have observed, Doug seems like a solid guy. He doesn't seem "slick" at all to me. He reminds me a bit of a friend who is an EMT. No nonsense, sort of reserved, if anything.

I just find this whole situation, so weird. I keep coming back to this case as I go about my own life. It's that troubling. :(

This is an excellent observation.

I would lean towards it having been open during the party, at least, since Sami commented on it.

It seems their friendship was more recent--i.e. they knew one another prior, but hung out a at at the party--rather than the sort of friendship she had with her friend Mags, for example. So knowledge of the sun (moon?) roof= it was open at the party.

It looks as though it will open up to 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off, manually:

View attachment 363998
I don't think Kiely's CR-V had a sunroof, despite what Sami said.

I am more convinced than ever that the front passenger window was down and not broken as there is no glass on, or around that window. We should see SOME shattered glass from the window frame, on the roof of the car, or on the bottom of lake outside window, or in the window frame. If the current swept it away, then why not sweep away computer charger and other things? Watching the AWP video over and over, I believe that window is down. Jared from AWP said they didn't know if it was down, or broken, and if broken it could have broken as car flipped. I don't see any glass around at all? If that window is down, and the back window halfway down, Kylie should have gone out a window rather than try to go to the back hatch to get out. It seems like most consensus agrees it is low to no probability her body just floated back there after the accident.

I am more convinced than ever that the front passenger window was down and not broken as there is no glass on, or around that window. We should see SOME shattered glass from the window frame, on the roof of the car, or on the bottom of lake outside window, or in the window frame. If the current swept it away, then why not sweep away computer charger and other things? Watching the AWP video over and over, I believe that window is down. Jared from AWP said they didn't know if it was down, or broken, and if broken it could have broken as car flipped. I don't see any glass around at all? If that window is down, and the back window halfway down, Kylie should have gone out a window rather than try to go to the back hatch to get out. It seems like most consensus agrees it is low to no probability her body just floated back there after the accident.

I was trying to determine which airbags deployed. COuld they have blocked the open windows?

In an earlier thread someone pointed out airbag remnants appeared to be visible. When I zoomed in, the center of the steering wheel appears to be missing as well, but I cannot be 100% certain from the angle. It does appear possible the side curtains also deployed from the gaps that appear to be present along upper windows, but I am far from an expert. Maybe someone following along is?

I was comparing to these images of a 2012 CRV, which should be similar?

2012_Honda_CR-V_Body_Structure_Safety_Airbag-Extrication.jpg

Honestly, i think a huge percentage of young girls/women (and even old ladies like me!) keep body spray in their vehicles - if I was AWP, Kiely's vehicle having one inside wouldn't prove that TTG had really seen her. Unless, of course, TTG was extremely specific about the size/brand/color - that would mean a lot more to me.

The fact that the body spray was the *only* thing he saw in the car makes me lean more towards it NOT being Kiely's vehicle. We know that she had her laptop with her and we saw that there was a lot of stuff in the car based on the recovery video. I would think he would have noticed more than just one thing, but who knows?
Yeah this is why I threw in the hypothetical, we don't know what the rest of the interview looked like so there's a possibility he said something much more convincing. I don't think AWP would risk their reputation like this, but really anything is possible at this point. Time will tell us all, I don't personally have an opinion on their validity because I think it's a little absurd and from the start their comment on the "agencies" made me feel like the police didn't welcome them fully, so that's always in the back of my head. It's quite possible there was a cover up, and it's also possible they're wrong and it's just a tragic accident. It's good to question all angles imo. I just don't personally want to speculate because there just isn't enough solid information.

Would love to look if you have it handy. One I do not have saved. Thanks!
Here is a YouTube video of it. The sunroof came as an option on that model, but hers apparently didn't have one. When I bought a 2015 Honda SUV it took a bunch of searching for me to find one with a sunroof, and I needed to have it shipped to me from several states away.

If they really strongly feel like there could be more to this than a night of bad decisions and driver error?
...we don't know what the rest of the interview looked like so there's a possibility he said something much more convincing
RSBM
I saw a recorded interview of AWP's executive producer (their young videographer) late last week. He said in no uncertain terms he is 90% convinced of FP after their discovery of KR's car with KR in it. He is not a forensics expert, IIRC, so who knows with what accuracy he thinks that. Unfortunately I can not post that recording here - not an approved YouTube channel - if I could find it again.

Last edited:
The VIN # was public with the license plate, so that would tell the model. Autozone has a free look up. Does not give personal info, I would not want to know.

The car is:

2013 Honda CR-V LX 4WD 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC 144 CID

I've been to such parties, so I can certainly offer insight, if only from an older generation. Background: I'm 50 year old, female, ... When I graduated high school, I was 16 and wouldn't turn 17 until December (1989). That summer, I attended what we called in our neck of the woods 'barn parties' out in the county (Ontario, Canada - minimum drinking age 19). They were usually 50 - 100 people and lasted far into the night. No supervision, no cops, just teens and some 20-somethings. As it was the Married with Children era, my friend loaned me Kelly Bundy dresses (strapless, form fitting) which I wore to these parties. Beer, whiskey, mj, hash, and acid were the substances that made the rounds. I took whatever I got my hands on and was trashed.

I never went to a party without a 'bodyguard,' one of my best guy friends, so nobody would touch me. One night, after getting back to his parents' house, the last memory I had was telling my friend him NO NO NO, we can't do this, we are good friends. I woke up on the floor of my friend's room later and he mentioned blood on his bed. So apparently, he had his way with me despite me saying NO. He didn't know I was a bleeder, so he was smirking about taking a virgin. I thought I was safe going to these parties b/c I had a 'bodyguard.'

Been there, done that.

So... why do the adults let these parties happen? Who sold booze/drugs at the party that Kiely attended, especially given that this particular event was for high school grads aged 17 and 18 in the USA, where the minimum drinking age is 21? From SM, we know that these parties happen at that campsite on a regular basis and that everything from beer to coke is available.

If airbags deployed, that's another layer Kiely would have to process and react to. Details that eat precious seconds. Kiely wouldn't have expected any of it -- and in that time, the open windows were likely already taking in water. And remember, she's in the dark, even headlights pretty useless -- she's trying to grasp what's happening, problem solve, survive in, a rapidly deteriorating environment.

IMO despite all that, she did process and react unbelievably fast -- with open windows, the vehicle could've sunk in 30 seconds. I believe she made it to the very back in that span, likely following the ceiling of the vehicle, maximizing on air. Yes, passing up two windows but she had no manual, she may have had little recall of what windows were open, not open, but was encountering force of water and IMO was focusing on keeping air to breathe.

How many of us have previously studied how to get out of a sinking car? How many of us imagine we could just open a window or kick it out and swim to safety?

Even the posted videos start with cars with windows up. Slowing the sinktime.

Who would know your best chance, if it's gotten to that point, is to allow the car to fill, equalizing pressure, open a door and swim out? Who would know to expect the car to flip? Who would know that laminated car windows don't break out?

In the dark. Young. Inebriated or not.

It's taken us here a week to find out that the hatch can or cannot be opened from the inside. Kiely didn't have that kind of time.

IMO she followed the air pocket.

And likely drowned because, at that point, she had no more air and no way out -- in an upside down vehicle, she'd have had to take her last breath, swim back toward an open window and swim 14 feet to her next breath. In abject blackness.

She was a child. In an impossible situation

I don't have a better word. Devastating.

JMO

Last edited:
The question here according to this is that was her CRV LX or EX since LX does not come with a moonroof.

View attachment 364038
JMO
You can look on various websites like Vincheckup at the available options that come with hers. There's no moonroof, or just like a sunroof you'd see it. My neighbor who parks across from me has the same style CR-V minus the roof rack. It is not hard to see from the video she didn't have either moon or sunroof. Edit to add hers was a LX, I attached the details.

Attachments

• Search Results for VIN _ 2HKRM4H35DH689544.PDF
    190.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors