Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging Near University of Memphis #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, her school was already in session. That's why as a teacher plus a Mom of little ones, she probably would make sure to be home during 6:30-8am-- that busy getting ready time, I would assume. I did not see the missing person call came from her husband at 7am. Thanks for that. Earlier on here I had read 7:45am I also wonder if he was calling family members first before the cops to see if anyone heard from her ...
If my family member didn’t come home from a run, I’d probably call their phone repeatedly, then try to find them on Find My IPhone app, (and see it’s in the area). Then maybe call her friends and see if she went running with someone, and then go to check on them at the phone location. I can see how process took a couple hours. Most people wouldn’t start the process by calling 911.

Was he stationary for 24 mins before the attack?

Also it’s been stated she suffered serious injury so I wonder what he did before sticking her in the car. Do people think a gun was involved ?
I'm guessing he was driving around during some of that time? He may have done something similar to what Cristhian Rivera did after spotting Mollie Tibbets. He passed her a couple of times before he got out and chased her on foot.
He told police during the interrogation that when he saw her he thought she was attractive.

I think this crime was sexually motivated as well.
He probably acted impulsively. Maybe he was having uncontrollable urges in the days leading up to the crime.

It's possible a gun was involved but I don't think it would have been necessary in order to incapacitate her.

He seems like a disorganized offender, so hopefully it won't be long before LE finds Eliza.

<modsnip - removed post not specific to this case>
Does anyone know why the judge would allow bond? that seems completely wrong given his history and the violence reported on the video. Would it have to do with the law surrounding his current charges?

Last edited by a moderator:
If my family member didn’t come home from a run, I’d probably call their phone repeatedly, then try to find them on Find My IPhone app, (and see it’s in the area). Then maybe call her friends and see if she went running with someone, and then go to check on them at the phone location. I can see how process took a couple hours. Most people wouldn’t start the process by calling 911.

Richie is a bike rider and the person who found the phone and sliders was riding a bike. So I would assume he sent out friends when she didn’t come home.

He couldn’t look at he had the kids so he did the next best thing.

mooo imo moo

Hope you feel better soon. MSM reported what people were saying. LE did not confirm.

A woman shared photos showing crime scene tape near a Family Dollar and McDonald’s restaurant and claimed a McDonald’s employee told them clothes were found in a dumpster. However, authorities have not confirmed the latter information.

I’ve been lurking on WS on and off for a few years, but it was the first place I came to after hearing the EF news. After catching up and feverishly refreshing the past 24 hours, I figured it was time to make an account and chime in.

As a woman, a runner currently in training, and just a regular person — this story hits hard. I’ve been out at 5 am with a light vest and watching every corner in order to hit my miles for the day. The fact we have to worry about shifting routes, keeping one headphone out, etc (anywhere we go) is just heartbreaking.

I went back to the timeline and saw she left home at 4, with the incident happening around 4:30. Didn’t see anywhere confirming she was training for a race, but sounds like she was running 5-7 min/mile if she’s 4-5 miles from home at that point. It sounds like she fought like hell, which somehow makes me even more solemn.

One thing that stood out to me in the affidavit is that a cyclist found her phone and then return it to EF’s family. The document didn’t mention sending anyone out to look for her ahead of time (husband definitely could’ve if he was expecting her home earlier and it just wasn’t mentioned in the filing). Maybe the cyclist knew EF, maybe even considered her a fitness friend/paced her for some training runs? I keep trying to piece together how this cyclist knew it was EF’s phone in the first place, I’m guessing she kept her cards in a wallet on the back of her phone, showing her ID? Or an emergency contact card tucked in between phone and phone case. Or she had a photo phone case and he put a face to the name.

Previously working in TV news for 5 years, I would guess Pine Hill was a staging area and that they might use it again today. However, they could move it closer to a more specific dumping ground if they think they’re getting somewhere. LE being relatively quiet usually means they think they’re close to a big break, whether it be finding EF or getting CA to crack. I would also assume they’re feeling internal pressure with the family’s community status and want to keep tight lips so something doesn’t fall through the cracks and puts anything in jeopardy.

I’d also love to log into the court records to dig into this Henderson confusion, but the link is buried in here somewhere and google doesn’t help. It just sounds like a family alias with the brother’s usage of it.

One final note: LE and local media will be out there today obviously, but it is a holiday. Don’t be surprised if there are different local reporters on the story and if they get facts crossed. Local newsrooms are disgustingly understaffed, and the senior most people got today off. Memphis is a decently sized tv market, but things happen.

God, this turned out longer than intended. Please correct any mistakes, I read so many articles and threads about this, facts get crossed.
Great first post! Welcome to Websleuths.

With regard to her running pace, her FB account makes it clear that she's really into running, especially distance running/marathons, so I think you are correct about her pace.

It's a good question how the cyclist knew it was her phone in light of the fact that it was returned to her family. I have to think that it had her ID in a cardholder, but anything is possible.

Interesting insights about the local news! I know the senior people are off, but is there any chance that this would be a juicy enough story that some might want to be in on it today even if originally scheduled to have a day off? I hadn't even considered the fact that most of the more senior journalists would be off today.

WREG reporting UPDATE: Memphis Police have confiscated the dumpster outside Abston’s brother’s apartment complex

<modsnip - removed post not specific to this case>
Does anyone know why the judge would allow bond? that seems completely wrong given his history and the violence reported on the video. Would it have to do with the law surrounding his current charges?
Tennessee statute allows for it.

2010 Tennessee Code
Title 40 - Criminal Procedure
Chapter 11 - Bail
Part 1 - Admission to Bail
40-11-102 - Bailable offenses.​

40-11-102. Bailable offenses.

Before trial, all defendants shall be bailable by sufficient sureties, except for capital offenses where the proof is evident or the presumption great. After conviction, defendants are bailable as provided by, § 40-11-113, § 40-11-143 or both.

Why would a man with a violent criminal past and a kidnapping on camera be given a chance for bond? I know it’s $500,000 and he only needs to offer $50,000 and yes, I know he likely would never have that amount.

But why would a judge who cares about real justice even consider bail? This criminal is one of the worst of the worst. I’m so angry at this judge. So very angry. The woman is missing, presumed dead and he could walk again free. Disgusting.

Tennessee statute allows for it.

2010 Tennessee Code​

Title 40 - Criminal Procedure​

Chapter 11 - Bail​

Part 1 - Admission to Bail​

40-11-102 - Bailable offenses.​

40-11-102. Bailable offenses.

Before trial, all defendants shall be bailable by sufficient sureties, except for capital offenses where the proof is evident or the presumption great. After conviction, defendants are bailable as provided by, § 40-11-113, § 40-11-143 or both.

The criminal here did not care about law. Lock him up and throw away the key.

Why would a man with a violent criminal past and a kidnapping on camera be given a chance for bond? I know it’s $500,000 and he only needs to offer $50,000 and yes, I know he likely would never have that amount.

But why would a judge who cares about real justice even consider bail? This criminal is one of the worst of the worst. I’m so angry at this judge. So very angry. The woman is missing, presumed dead and he could walk again free. Disgusting.
Because the judge has to follow the law! He or she cannot just decide to do whatever they want. A society were judges don’t have to follow laws is not a society you or anyone should want to live in. If the judge doesn’t follow procedure and statues then the whole case can be thrown into jeopardy.

Last edited:
In terms of finding Eliza, I'm guessing he won't talk. He might be offered a plea bargain deal to reveal her whereabouts. So sad
I'd have to agree and as a family IMOO, I would want whatever I could get - so I could bring her home, so to speak.
I bet he doesn't make it out of prison this time anyway- just saying- he is a threat to his own family, almost all women, and society. All of his cellmates will know it too.

Interesting insights about the local news! I know the senior people are off, but is there any chance that this would be a juicy enough story that some might want to be in on it today even if originally scheduled to have a day off? I hadn't even considered the fact that most of the more senior journalists would be off today.

That’s definitely possible, if the news is big enough management will ask people to work and take the holiday pay instead. As for being “in on it,” there are some veterans in local TV markets that would stay on to help guide. At the end of the day, if it’s big breaking news, all (available/still in the area) hands on deck. I got pulled in on weekends/morning shifts to cover bigger stories.

That’s definitely possible, if the news is big enough management will ask people to work and take the holiday pay instead. As for being “in on it,” there are some veterans in local TV markets that would stay on to help guide. At the end of the day, if it’s big breaking news, all (available/still in the area) hands on deck. I got pulled in on weekends/morning shifts to cover bigger stories.
Welcome to WS! I appreciate the unique perspective and insights that you can bring from your time covering cases like these in a local tv market (not implying THIS local market). As to lurking for a few years before joining, I think many, if not most of us did. I lurked for about three years before jumping in. Glad you took the plunge!

As a female runner, these cases which are all too prevalent, make me so angry. This predator was out looking for someone according to video footage that showed that vehicle 24 minutes prior to the abduction.

According to police records, the vehicle sat in the parking lot for 4 minutes before driving away. Records also state the GMC Terrain in question was seen 24 minutes before the abduction in surveillance footage.

Eliza Fletcher abduction: Violent and caught on video

Speculation: if the husband was expecting her to return and was expecting to leave for a bike ride himself, it's possible he rode with others -- but since she wasn't home, the other rider went alone, and was given EF's route.

Also EF may have had her name/address on her water bottle.

All told, I'm impressed with how quickly her items were identified and recovered, how swiftly she was reported missing and surveillance video linked and how lightning-fast LE got on this.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members