Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging Near University of Memphis #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the police thought to take the dumpster of the brother.. Did the police think to hold any trash collection or have LE on-site to review - that has helped resolve kidnappings/ locate people before. If she isn't in the woods, or water, then they need to be checking the dumpsters and trash bins around Abner's home/work area. I pray she is safe, but she isn't safe, or she'd be home right now.

There are so many twists , I dont know if it's reporting or or what but new tidbits every time I see the news .
I personally am not seeing any twists.

From the outset, it was said that Liza was abducted off the street forcibly.

We now have a known offender with prior for kidnap (and someone who reportedly was pestering neighbours sexually recently) arrested for Liza’s kidnap. And we all gut sinkingly know what other charges are likely to follow.

All victims have personal lives but in this case for me Liza’s personal life is totally periphery, which somehow makes it all the more tragic. The facts we have so far speak for themselves IMO.

Edited - totally messed up quotes, apologies.

Refusing to reveal the location of the body is a very smart strategy in cases where LE/The courts don't have very clear evidence of who the kidnapper is. If they need the fact that the kidnapper led them to the remains to make their case, keeping silent is a good idea.

This isn't the case here. They have him on video abducting her, and have his DNA at the scene. He's gaining nothing by being bullheaded and cruel.

Speculation: if the husband was expecting her to return and was expecting to leave for a bike ride himself, it's possible he rode with others -- but since she wasn't home, the other rider went alone, and was given EF's route.

Also EF may have had her name/address on her water bottle.

All told, I'm impressed with how quickly her items were identified and recovered, how swiftly she was reported missing and surveillance video linked and how lightning-fast LE got on this.

JMO
These are great points I didn’t think of, with the name on the water bottle! I don’t run with one so I didn’t even imagine that, good catch.

Definitely sound like husband sent out cyclists to try and grace her route, then found her items, then told family.

All of this just makes the “randomly targeted” element of this story make sense, but then again something as awful as this never makes sense.

Refusing to reveal the location of the body is a very smart strategy in cases where LE/The courts don't have very clear evidence of who the kidnapper is. If they need the fact that the kidnapper led them to the remains to make their case, keeping silent is a good idea.

This isn't the case here. They have him on video abducting her, and have his DNA at the scene. He's gaining nothing by being bullheaded and cruel.
In many cases the families of the victims can and will agree to some type of deal in order to locate the remains of their loved ones. It happens all the time, and I personally can say that I would be willing to make some sort of deal in order to lay my loved one to rest properly.

MOO

Except potential leverage in the event of a plea bargain. I really hope she is found without needing his assistance.

He probably learned in prison "no body, no crime". Maybe LE can pressure the brother to convince CA to provide her location.

I would have thought that given her athleticism, she would have some sort of activity tracker. I guess it's possible that she used her phone for tracking, or that she had a tracker clipped to her clothing or in a pocket, if it's true that her clothing was found.

Because the judge has to follow the law! He or she cannot just decide to do whatever they want. A society were judges don’t have to follow laws is not a society you or anyone should want to live in. If the judge doesn’t follow procedure and statues then the whole case can be thrown into jeopardy.
That's true. I bet if Pookie had been on probation the judge could have denied him bail.

Why would a man with a violent criminal past and a kidnapping on camera be given a chance for bond? I know it’s $500,000 and he only needs to offer $50,000 and yes, I know he likely would never have that amount.

But why would a judge who cares about real justice even consider bail? This criminal is one of the worst of the worst. I’m so angry at this judge. So very angry. The woman is missing, presumed dead and he could walk again free. Disgusting.
Because, in this country we believe that you are innocent until proven guilty in a trial. so really, we do not punish people we deem innocent, and until he is convicted, we do not punish. Bond is not a punishment, it is supposed to be there to ensure the defendant will show up for trial.

Last edited:
My speculation here, I've been trying to think why he hasn't offered up a location. Their is only two I can really think of, the first he thinks he's hidden her very well and she won't be found or the second is that he has handed her off to someone else and will keep tight lipped to avoid any blow back from the secondary person
I am with you on the first speculation. He is probably thinking "no body, no proof" in his shallow mind. He is an evil person and has done terrible things, but he has spent over half of his life in prison. I would venture to say this is his first time for a crime of "this magnitude". Granted, he probably would have years ago with the kidnapped attorney, but things went awry.

Probably to take her to a secluded location. Less chance of being caught in his mind.
Now, see, this is where we get in trouble with the impulsive, impromptu grab: pass her on the street, decide "I want that", stop and wait for her, grab her, throw her in car -- then what? did he have ropes and tape already in car? did he "just" knock her out? Then what did he think would happen when she came to? Secluded location would have to be very close. Surely there were cameras the vehicle was caught on so LE knows direction of travel. But watching them all takes time. It took a month with Molly Tibbets.

However, at the moment they can only charge him with aggravated kidnapping. If he shows them where the body is, then it's murder one and capital punishment. The guy doesn't seem particularly bright so my assumption is he's hoping they don't find her and thus he can't be charged with murder or if he is, it won't stick in court because there's no hard evidence Eliza is dead.

Linda Stolzfoos' killer did this as well but they eventually found her. They usually do and I pray will here too so he can be charged with what he should be - capital murder and receive appropriate punishment for such.

Except potential leverage in the event of a plea bargain. I really hope she is found without needing his assistance.
I agree. I believe it is entirely too soon to even be thinking of offering to take the death penalty off the table, in the very likely event that he murdered EF. MPD's investigation is progressing rapidly, and I fully expect they will find her body within a very few days, without having to make the perp any offer. And I do believe that the death penalty will ultimately be sought in this case. JMO

Last edited:
I think that's just him. He took a 5 years longer sentence rather than sign anything.

From the Memphis Flyer story about the Kemper Case, Abston took 5 extra years not to admit guilt: "On Monday, Abston pled guilty just before he was scheduled to go to trial and was sentenced to 20 years in prison without parole. He had earlier turned down an offer of 15 years on the same charge but, according to Durand, told the court Òhe did not want to sign his name giving himself the time.Ó Abston has a long juvenile record of theft and aggravated assault." A SAMARITAN’S TALE

I personally think it's doubtful he will be helpful.
well its safe to say he has no idea of what the right thing to do is. A pure sociopath with no conscience.

I’ve been lurking on WS on and off for a few years, but it was the first place I came to after hearing the EF news. After catching up and feverishly refreshing the past 24 hours, I figured it was time to make an account and chime in.

As a woman, a runner currently in training, and just a regular person — this story hits hard. I’ve been out at 5 am with a light vest and watching every corner in order to hit my miles for the day. The fact we have to worry about shifting routes, keeping one headphone out, etc (anywhere we go) is just heartbreaking.

I went back to the timeline and saw she left home at 4, with the incident happening around 4:30. Didn’t see anywhere confirming she was training for a race, but sounds like she was running 5-7 min/mile if she’s 4-5 miles from home at that point. It sounds like she fought like hell, which somehow makes me even more solemn.

One thing that stood out to me in the affidavit is that a cyclist found her phone and then return it to EF’s family. The document didn’t mention sending anyone out to look for her ahead of time (husband definitely could’ve if he was expecting her home earlier and it just wasn’t mentioned in the filing). Maybe the cyclist knew EF, maybe even considered her a fitness friend/paced her for some training runs? I keep trying to piece together how this cyclist knew it was EF’s phone in the first place, I’m guessing she kept her cards in a wallet on the back of her phone, showing her ID? Or an emergency contact card tucked in between phone and phone case. Or she had a photo phone case and he put a face to the name.

Previously working in TV news for 5 years, I would guess Pine Hill was a staging area and that they might use it again today. However, they could move it closer to a more specific dumping ground if they think they’re getting somewhere. LE being relatively quiet usually means they think they’re close to a big break, whether it be finding EF or getting CA to crack. I would also assume they’re feeling internal pressure with the family’s community status and want to keep tight lips so something doesn’t fall through the cracks and puts anything in jeopardy.

I’d also love to log into the court records to dig into this Henderson confusion, but the link is buried in here somewhere and google doesn’t help. It just sounds like a family alias with the brother’s usage of it.

One final note: LE and local media will be out there today obviously, but it is a holiday. Don’t be surprised if there are different local reporters on the story and if they get facts crossed. Local newsrooms are disgustingly understaffed, and the senior most people got today off. Memphis is a decently sized tv market, but things happen.

God, this turned out longer than intended. Please correct any mistakes, I read so many articles and threads about this, facts get crossed.
Welcome! Great first post. Thanks for the personal Insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson