Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

I live in Saskatoon. I have family connections to James Smith. This was written this morning by a Dakota woman (Nina Wilson) experiencing the aftermath of these sad events. Just wanted to share. Family danced to honour those lost. My heart breaks. We have so far to go.

"Woke up to all my problems today. I said thanks
There are approximately 80 coroners in Saskatchewan. Not all will be available, or in close enough proximity to the murders, so the amount of coroners attending the violence on the James Smith Cree Nation (an hour from where I currently am) will be minimal. This means no one from outside can go home yet. Loved ones are still lying in those homes or locations where they took their last breath.
Police Service Forensic Identification Units are mandated to capture and preserve evidence required for a criminal investigation. Fingerprints, photographs, scene diagrams, measurements and any exhibit item that may provide DNA from blood, hair or saliva samples. Trained Forensic Identification personnel are also responsible for photographing injury victims, fingerprinting and photographing arrested persons pursuant to the 'Identification of Criminals Act', taking court-ordered DNA samples, verifying the identities of persons of interest, attending autopsies and testifying in court.
This is a long process. And some ppl from James Smith cannot go home yet. Some may never want to go home again because this once safe place, is now a place of terror, devastation, incredible grief.
Don’t forget those first responders who unknowingly walked into their own murder. Those officers and EMS who had to tend to each murdered or dying or gravely injured person they encountered at 13 different homes. The Stars helicopter personnel who lifted victim after victim after victim to an assortment of hospitals. The debrief for attending staff will also be required. They are human too
I sat yesterday. I’d enjoy my day then I’d be reminded of what had happened, what was still happening, and I’d go from laughter n enjoyment to tears and disbelief and anger. I’m not a victim here, I’m skilled enough to process my own feelings. And so through out the day, that’s what I did. Now and then I’d help others process theirs. I watched ppl stumble along in shock. I asked as many as I could, how they’re doing. Not as a passing comment but really meant it
I watched certain men around me, especially my son. Become extra aware, extra vigilant. I watched him scan the area as we talked n laughed. I saw the weight of protection expectation, on his shoulders. Without asking, he took that on naturally. He reported seeing unusual behaviour in the crowd. He did his part in protection. I didn’t want that for him, but that’s what our sons will do.
Had to look away and not show my tears because my grandson who is 2, played unaware of the sadness I felt. So many lives lost
For nothing
Sat quiet yesterday n listened to whistle after whistle after whistle be blown. Watched dancers pour it all out there dancing in 32 heat on behalf of that tobacco for James Smith. I watched ppl on the side, dancers, spectators, with tears streaming. Mine were too
I watched the beauty of our ppl, I watched the veterans grieve for their fellow murdered vet. Yesterday morning I got a call from the Vets who expressed deep sorrow for this terrible situation. This veteran was just dancing into the pow wow the day before. His last dance was with us.
Wahpeton Dakota Nation is a kind community that practices Dakota values. These values were evident more than ever, immediately after learning of this tragedy. Kindness, care, prayer. This community knows how to pray, it is a community with one of the longest running sundances, in Treaty 6. My son in law, served this lodge for decades, and now carries a ‘new’ lodge in the community. He and his wife, their relatives, always humble and caring for the ppl.
I’m not going to talk about ones who took so many lives senselessly. Ya they probably suffered all the same intergenerational traumas we all did. But there is no excuse for what these guys did. I can’t imagine being their parents knowing how this all occurred and to also know their sons are still at large, and will most likely die by their own hands, the police, or others who will take them out should they make it to prison. No one has a child and thinks, yep, this ones gna make the headlines
In all the wrong ways
I want to know about the victims, how brave they were, not the terror they felt, but that duty they expressed by trying to protect one another, losing their own lives trying to do so. I want to know how they lived, not how they died.
Last night I sat with 10 of my own family members. We expressed love for one another. Laughed, joked, talked about what our plans were for the next wknd, the next day, the winter, etc. 10 of us. Suddenly I thought I thought of how I’d be destroyed losing 10 of my family or community members. It made me say prayers of gratitude
Love your families. Forgive one another if possible. Strengthen those bonds….do what it takes to heal ur *advertiser censored*, quit ur drinking, drugging, get help.
U woke up today. That’s a good start. Ur problems await u. Go handle them and remember, many didn’t get that chance at all'

This is one of the most powerful posts I have ever seen on Websleuths. I am so sorry for what you, and others that you care about, are going through.

I wish I could reach through the screen and give you, and others you care about, the biggest hug ever. I just want to take away some pain.

I live in Saskatoon. I have family connections to James Smith. This was written this morning by a Dakota woman (Nina Wilson)

sometimes within true crime we need some perspective and reality to help people understand online and real life
but its always good for everyone to remember that for a lot of people this isn't just a news article on a forum to talk about, it's their reality and life right now

I don't think self inflicted is necessarily code for gunshot wounds. Gunshot wounds can in fact be self-inflicted. It's just basically confirming he didn't kill himself (by whatever means), so by default, someone else inflicted his injuries, in self defense or as an offensive attack. Those injuries could very well still be by knife. MOO

I don't think self inflicted is necessarily code for gunshot wounds. Gunshot wounds can in fact be self-inflicted. It's just basically confirming he didn't kill himself (by whatever means), so by default, someone else inflicted his injuries, in self defense or as an offensive attack. Those injuries could very well still be by knife. MOO
True. They could have cracked his head open with a baseball bat for all we know. JMO

I live in Saskatoon. I have family connections to James Smith. This was written this morning by a Dakota woman (Nina Wilson) experiencing the aftermath of these sad events. Just wanted to share. Family danced to honour those lost. My heart breaks. We have so far to go.

There are approximately 80 coroners in Saskatchewan. Not all will be available, or in close enough proximity to the murders, so the amount of coroners attending the violence on the James Smith Cree Nation (an hour from where I currently am) will be minimal. This means no one from outside can go home yet. Loved ones are still lying in those homes or locations where they took their last breath.
Police Service Forensic Identification Units are mandated to capture and preserve evidence required for a criminal investigation. Fingerprints, photographs, scene diagrams, measurements and any exhibit item that may provide DNA from blood, hair or saliva samples. Trained Forensic Identification personnel are also responsible for photographing injury victims, fingerprinting and photographing arrested persons pursuant to the 'Identification of Criminals Act', taking court-ordered DNA samples, verifying the identities of persons of interest, attending autopsies and testifying in court.
This is a long process. And some ppl from James Smith cannot go home yet. Some may never want to go home again because this once safe place, is now a place of terror, devastation, incredible grief.
Don’t forget those first responders who unknowingly walked into their own murder. Those officers and EMS who had to tend to each murdered or dying or gravely injured person they encountered at 13 different homes. The Stars helicopter personnel who lifted victim after victim after victim to an assortment of hospitals. The debrief for attending staff will also be required. They are human too
I sat yesterday. I’d enjoy my day then I’d be reminded of what had happened, what was still happening, and I’d go from laughter n enjoyment to tears and disbelief and anger. I’m not a victim here, I’m skilled enough to process my own feelings. And so through out the day, that’s what I did. Now and then I’d help others process theirs. I watched ppl stumble along in shock. I asked as many as I could, how they’re doing. Not as a passing comment but really meant it
I watched certain men around me, especially my son. Become extra aware, extra vigilant. I watched him scan the area as we talked n laughed. I saw the weight of protection expectation, on his shoulders. Without asking, he took that on naturally. He reported seeing unusual behaviour in the crowd. He did his part in protection. I didn’t want that for him, but that’s what our sons will do.
Had to look away and not show my tears because my grandson who is 2, played unaware of the sadness I felt. So many lives lost
For nothing
Sat quiet yesterday n listened to whistle after whistle after whistle be blown. Watched dancers pour it all out there dancing in 32 heat on behalf of that tobacco for James Smith. I watched ppl on the side, dancers, spectators, with tears streaming. Mine were too
I watched the beauty of our ppl, I watched the veterans grieve for their fellow murdered vet. Yesterday morning I got a call from the Vets who expressed deep sorrow for this terrible situation. This veteran was just dancing into the pow wow the day before. His last dance was with us.
Wahpeton Dakota Nation is a kind community that practices Dakota values. These values were evident more than ever, immediately after learning of this tragedy. Kindness, care, prayer. This community knows how to pray, it is a community with one of the longest running sundances, in Treaty 6. My son in law, served this lodge for decades, and now carries a ‘new’ lodge in the community. He and his wife, their relatives, always humble and caring for the ppl.
I’m not going to talk about ones who took so many lives senselessly. Ya they probably suffered all the same intergenerational traumas we all did. But there is no excuse for what these guys did. I can’t imagine being their parents knowing how this all occurred and to also know their sons are still at large, and will most likely die by their own hands, the police, or others who will take them out should they make it to prison. No one has a child and thinks, yep, this ones gna make the headlines
In all the wrong ways
I want to know about the victims, how brave they were, not the terror they felt, but that duty they expressed by trying to protect one another, losing their own lives trying to do so. I want to know how they lived, not how they died.
Last night I sat with 10 of my own family members. We expressed love for one another. Laughed, joked, talked about what our plans were for the next wknd, the next day, the winter, etc. 10 of us. Suddenly I thought I thought of how I’d be destroyed losing 10 of my family or community members. It made me say prayers of gratitude
Love your families. Forgive one another if possible. Strengthen those bonds….do what it takes to heal ur *advertiser censored*, quit ur drinking, drugging, get help.
U woke up today. That’s a good start. Ur problems await u. Go handle them and remember, many didn’t get that chance at all'

Unfortunately the information about the victims has been very slow to come out. These families just want to grieve. But there is a murderer still out there.

Here's who I have found out have been victims (a very limited list at this point):

Among the deceased was Gloria Burns, a front-line worker who died while trying to help others, her brother Darryl Burns said. "My sister was a very caring person. She devoted her life [to] helping people," he said. He and his brother Ivor said Gloria worked at James Smith Cree Nation health clinic. She was responding to a crisis call on the First Nation as the stabbings unfolded and she was killed. [Thank you Gloria for your service. Thank you for being there for others. How terrible that you lost your life because of your caring.]

A mother of two is among 10 victims killed as part of a deadly stabbing spree in Saskatchewan. Lana Head is the former partner of Michael Brett Burns, and the mother of their two daughters. Burns told APTN News that Head and her male partner died of their wounds on the James Smith Cree Nation on Sunday.

Please add other victims to this thread.

Thanks @Snoopster! If confirmed sighting means by a person as opposed to CCTV then there’s always a chance the witness was mistaken about two people being in the SUV.

Too many possibilities for now to make an educated guess IMO. So here we wait…
It has been confirmed that the sighting was Myles its reported by various media outlets that LE has confirmed the sightin in Regina that's why I wonder if he is with someone who knows how to treat a medical emergency. Or he is dead and the other person isn't saying having left Myles once he died. But I am suspicious that he hasn't has his wounds treated IMO he has if he's still alive.

Thanks @Snoopster! If confirmed sighting means by a person as opposed to CCTV then there’s always a chance the witness was mistaken about two people being in the SUV.

Too many possibilities for now to make an educated guess IMO. So here we wait…
Agree.
But LE was very confident that there were two people in the vehicle.

It has been confirmed that the sighting was Myles its reported by various media outlets that LE has confirmed the sightin in Regina that's why I wonder if he is with someone who knows how to treat a medical emergency. Or he is dead and the other person isn't saying having left Myles once he died. But I am suspicious that he hasn't has his wounds treated IMO he has if he's still alive.

Agree.
But LE was very confident that there were two people in the vehicle.
So... guesses? Girlfriend? Someone who had been harboring Myles since May?

IMO if there is a third person then it's someone connected to Myles rather than Damien and may have been providing a hideaway since May.

Also, another possibility IMO is that Myles and Damien did go to Regina together and then returned to James Smith Cree Nation in order to get medical attention for Damien. Or like @5W's said it could be they were looking for medical help in Regina. I don't know.

Aargh! So confusing!! And no updates.

Moo...the motive for killings is not known. If some were targeted..moo..the randoms were probably just people in same houses as targets. Who knows where peoples loyalties may be. Especially if it is gang related or family feuds. Unless the police are intensely searching (as they are now) it would not be too hard for Myles to avoid being found previously...moo

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

One of the two suspects in the mass killings, Damien Sanderson, was found dead on Monday in a grassy area near a house being investigated as part of the attacks on the Cree Nation reserve, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said. They said his injuries did not appear to be self-inflicted.

The police said a manhunt was still underway for his brother Myles Sanderson, who may also have been injured and may seek medical attention. They said that Myles Sanderson had a lengthy criminal record, and that the public should be vigilant.

The police said they were investigating how Damien Sanderson had died, including whether his brother had killed him.

Mr. Burns, who said he is related to the suspects, said, “Right now there’s chaos, there’s total chaos.”

His sister, who worked for a community crisis response team, was found lying on a driveway with two other victims, he said.
Another brother, Darryl Burns, who also lives on the reserve, said Gloria Lydia Burns had raised her four nephews after their mother died.

“That’s the kind of person that she was,” he said. “For her to go into a situation like this where she was helping people, even though it cost her life — that’s who she was. She would do anything to help anybody.”

Before announcing that Damien Sanderson was dead, the police had warned that the attackers were likely to be hiding in Regina.

In total, 28 people were stabbed. Some of the victims were taken by helicopter to Royal University Hospital, the province’s main trauma center, in Saskatoon.

“A link purporting to show video of the stabbing attacks at the James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon, Saskatchewan, is part of a malware scam.

In the comments sections of news articles and posts on social media, scammers are posting what appears, at first glance, to be a YouTube link to a video of the stabbings, or arrests related to them.

They claim the attack was “accidentally caught by a mobile camera.”

But commenters who clicked on the link only found malware. This type of malicious software can damage your computer, or steal your personal information.

To avoid it, computer users should not click on suspicious, unverified links.

At this time, there is no verified video from Sunday’s stabbing attacks circulating online.”

Seven months before the mass killing in rural Saskatchewan, a parole official ruled that the key suspect did not pose a danger and that releasing him would help him become a “law-abiding citizen.”

70c8fc80

A Parole Board of Canada decision dated Feb. 1 found that Myles Sandersonwould “not present an undue risk,” and freeing him would “contribute to the protection of society” by facilitating his reintegration.

“The Board is satisfied that your risk is manageable in the community, if you live with your [blacked out] maintain sobriety and employment, and continue with developing supports, including getting therapy,” the board wrote.

For nothing
In all the wrong ways
Dear @Pipersand

Thank you for posting this deeply heartfelt and expressive message. Speaks to the heart.

When I read the words of Nina Wilson, I imagined a new place to be built on James Cree Smith Nation land. A building that reflects the values, love and remembrance of those lost. A place, as well, where love and friendship greet one another. A place of comfort and understanding.

Most importantly, a building that lets light shine in, to remember the lights of the loved ones there.

A place to honour, remember and heal, even smile at stories to share when the time comes. A place designed with thoughts and ideas from those who are left behind there.

I'm Canadian and I have read and heard the overwhelming sadness and grief people from this Country and around the world as soon as we all learned of this.

People not from that area would genuinely want to contribute to a fund that would cover all of the costs for this building. I know I will and I believe in my heart that tens of thousands of others would want to help in this way as well. We care deeply and want to help ease the tremendous pain.

This is only a little thought I hold, but my heart is full of hope that this may happen.

Blessings,

Zencompass

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members