Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting my own previous post in response to your question and attaching some diagrams I made up quick.

Some factors that come into play with how water would enter the vehicle:
- whether the Driver-Side Rear (D-R) window was rolled down before or after the vehicle entered the water
- when the Passenger-Side Front (P-F) window was broken before or after the vehicle entered the water

I think most of us are assuming the D-R window was already rolled down, but it is possible that, in scrambling to try to roll the nearest [Driver-Side Front] window down before sinking, someone could accidentally hit the button for the rear window instead.

As for when the P-F window broke, I see a few possibilities:
1. In an unrelated incident or collision before entering the water (I see this as unlikely, considering the lack of other damage to the vehicle)
2. Accidentally, in the process of entering the water (Maybe if it was impacted on that corner of the roof just right when it landed on the bottom?)
3. Intentionally by someone trying to escape after the vehicle entered the water

Either way, though, the nose of the vehicle is going to be pointed downward in the water due to the engine's weight, so water from either window will trickle downward toward the front of the vehicle as it enters. IF it was only entering from one side (through D-R), that imbalance may have contributed to the vehicle barrel-rolling onto its roof ("turtling") as it descended.

IMO, MOO
I don't imagine any of that water was "trickling"....rushing in with slight force would be more appropriate vision

So.i feel like if rear driver and front passenger than it would create a rush of water sort of blocking you in the driver's seat...imagine sitting on the seat and water rushing at you front the side and the back I don't know if instinct would make you rush towards the running water?

That's why I think she had already moved out of the driver's seat. Aided by interior lights how ever briefly, I think she had to process, react, unbuckle and move toward an open window.

I think she drove into thick fog and it would've taken some kind of minute ro realize she was in the water. By the time she was reacting to her seatbelt, the vehicle's orientation was shifting IMO.

Front window no longer an option, if it ever was, she moves to the middle. Likely there are no lights now and the car is rolling and flipping, maybe before she even gets to the half open side window, which will now be taking in water.

I think she was in the very back because there was nowhere left to go.

And no more air.

JMO

I am really trying hard to see what you're seeing re: passenger window, but can't yet. Can you use an arrow to point it out?
I'm not referring to the passenger window. I'm referring to the underside of the passenger side view mirror. The plastic is cracked off on the hinge. There is normally plastic all along the bottom of the mirror housing, and hers is cracked open, for lack of a better term.

I *think* I know what you;re asking?

The mirror adjusts within the plastic housing, with a button from inside the car. My Fit was same way.

Edited to add: someone or something could also knock the mirror out of position. Happened to me few times when I was parked. Annoying!
I'm not talking about the position the side mirror is in, I'm referring to the chunk of plastic missing from the bottom of the side mirror housing. It is damaged, not out of position. Edit to add: I had been previously looking at a video on YouTube showing a 2011 side mirror replacement, which has the full plastic bottom. I just found a 2013 one being done and it appears that the screwa are visible underneath the mirror on that model year side mirror. So hers likely is normal, not damaged.

Last edited:
I dont know how steep the lake bottom is at that point, but looking at the shore I think if the car went rear first, it wouldnt have turtled around its nose, unless with certain time, buoyancy and depth. Dont know if you understand what I mean.. while the rear goes higher the nose would be dragging the bottom? I can see it happening going in nose first but then in the end the rear wouldnt be facing the shore.

So I think it rolled only vertically, for whatever reason, maybe the open windows, maybe the movement started at the shore or something else.

I wonder if Kiely had had help at some point, using that seatbelt to create a cage for cargo. I've done it in ny van. Not use the seatbelt as intended but as a homemade bungee of sorts.

Maybe an attempt to secure bottles to keep them from rolling, spilling while driving? Pull it taut and then hold it, allowing the hatch to shut on it

JMO

What is confusing to me, is the slope appears to continue out a bit and the front of Kiely's CRV looks clean, from the little we are able to see of it. Back with a screengrab.

Reactions: IDK
Not the best image, sorry I was trying to prevent the hatch from sticking completely shut permanently and killing the battery as I will need to move this car still.

I still have a silver Honda Fit, and was where it is resting waiting to be junked so I ran the drivers side seatbelts out the hatch behind the seat. I will try it again when I have an assistant, but based on color and size, I feel more confident that is a seatbelt sticking out of the rear hatch of her CRV now.View attachment 364874

Another silver Honda, for comparison

View attachment 364873
Does it seem in the AWP screenshot of Kiely’s vehicle’s hatch exterior, that the belt has no silver buckle?

Hey guys today in India (as of 5th september 2022) we celebrate teacher's day. September 5th is the birth anniversary of a great teacher Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who was a staunch believer of education and was a well-known diplomat, scholar, the President of India and above all, a teacher.

The Kiely Rodni case i started following around 18th August and i was pretty late but it has taught me so many things. I evolved as a person and learnt about car-water accidents.

Every accident/incident teaches everyone who wants to be taught, a great deal.
On this teacher's day i would sincerely like to thank Kiely and all the WB family.

Kiely, i'm sure whereever you are you are at peace and happiness is surrounding you. knowing that, your family, loved ones and us are at ease. You are loved and will forever be remembered in our hearts as a amiable and lively teen <3
That is one of the loveliest things I’ve read since young Kiely went missing. Mr Radhakrishnan asked us to treat each other ‘as an end, not as means (to an end)’. Your post does this perfectly, and no matter the outcome of the investigation, I, as you, will always think of Kiely’s good nature first, whenever I think about her much too short life.

Does it seem in the AWP screenshot of Kiely’s vehicle’s hatch exterior, that the belt has no silver buckle?
It does. You could fold that part back inside. There is a lot of extra belt left over. I will try to get better images when I have someone to help me.

The car I used for the photo has a lot of rust and I was afraid of the hatch and belt getting stuck that way, not registering as "closed" and draining the battery. The hatch has a habit of getting stuck, which is how I knew about the manual release in Honda hatchbacks.

Those who have Hondas, know to keep them locked.

It does. You could fold that part back inside. There is a lot of extra belt left over. I will try to get better images when I have someone to help me.

The car I used for the photo has a lot of rust and I was afraid of the hatch and belt getting stuck that way, not registering as "closed" and draining the battery. The hatch has a habit of getting stuck, which is how I knew about the manual release in Honda hatchbacks.

Those who have Hondas, know to keep them locked.
Ok, so you mean in the AWP screen shot, that would be a folded part of the seatbelt, with the metal fastener back inside the hatch. Correct?
Like this pic, but out of the hatch door in Kiely’s case?
555194C4-111F-4678-89FE-31799E338BCF.jpeg

Ok, so you mean in the AWP screen shot, that would be a folded part of the seatbelt, with the metal fastener back inside the hatch. Correct?
Like this pic, but out of the hatch door in Kiely’s case?
View attachment 364888

Yes!

I got some looks, and even a couple of comments while I was out there from a curious neighbor, or I would try and demonstrate more.

I'm going to assume the belt length would be comparable between a Fit and a CRV.

Edited to add: I DO want to say I still think it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE this is an accident. I lean towards foul play, but I remain open. I'm just trying to figure things out that seem wrong/weird/possible.

AWP said Kiely's vehicle was found 300 yards from the party.

The 2013 Honda CRV has this key fob. It has the same panic button as my Honda. 2013 Honda CR-V Remote Key Fob

Which made me curious if it would work while the engine was running. Not wanting the curious neighbor to have even more to think about haha, I asked Google (still not sure), but I did find all kinds of stuff about car alarms going off when vehicles were submerged in water from floods.

So....if Kiely did enter the water at a time when a lot of people were around, I wonder if her alarm went off? Maybe over the noise of the party no one would care or pay attention, but it made me think....

Yes!

I got some looks, and even a couple of comments while I was out there from a curious neighbor, or I would try and demonstrate more.

I'm going to assume the belt length would be comparable between a Fit and a CRV.

Edited to add: I DO want to say I still think it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE this is an accident. I lean towards foul play, but I remain open. I'm just trying to figure things out that seem wrong/weird/possible.
Yes, I’m still open to accident but trying to rule out some questionable things.

AWP appreciation post if allowed...I have been watching some of the cold cases on the AWP YouTube channel and you can tell the guys genuinely care and are invested in the families - the way they console, comfort and empathize with the families - they aren't trained counsellors, so it is so 'real' and really 'sweet' (if that is the right word) to see these 'burly' guys being so kind/sensitive and unguarded. Watching the videos also makes you think of all the parents/families who may never have known what happened to their loved one because the technology was/is not available to the local LE, or they are left tormented by thoughts that their loved one had been murdered/kidnapped or run away as the 'obvious' body of water had been searched, but not well enough.

Doug from AWP confirmed on the latest episode of DutyRon on YouTube that the water temp was 80° when she was recovered.
Wow the fish would be cooked.
80 degrees was the surface air, at water level temperature, not water temperature.

For example, right now, the lake is 62 degrees, it's 91 degrees in Truckee.

Here are the color options for a 2013 CR-V. I also attached a photo of my seatbelt from my 2013 Honda Pilot with gray interior. She likely had the same seatbelts. My middle row middle seatbelt that hangs from the roof can easily pull long enough to reach the hatch. That’s further than it would have to reach in a smaller CR-V if they use the same length seatbelt.seatbelt.jpg

Attachments

• FE3282B0-8424-420F-A43A-765DF7CB8A7D.jpeg
    FE3282B0-8424-420F-A43A-765DF7CB8A7D.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 869AF215-EB00-4454-8B21-27547D502109.jpeg
    869AF215-EB00-4454-8B21-27547D502109.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I flipped the image so the orientation is the same. The lighting is a bit different now when cleaned up, but what would be the rear driver's side of the vehicle, the hitch looks narrower to me where it would meet the center? View attachment 364834View attachment 364833
I see what you mean by the driver's side of the trailer hitch looking thinner. I think it's either the light playing tricks on our eyes or there's a chance it could've maybe snapped at a welding point. Hard to say without a better image. If it did break, that would take a lot of force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie