WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

I don’t understand this part of narrative. Can someone help clarify?

“Pierce County detectives examined surveillance footage at the McCaw’s home and saw two “young skinny males” approach the home from the backyard at about 1:59 a.m. on Aug. 28.

The two people on the footage crawled into the home through the doggy door. At about 2:41 a.m. McCaw was spotted leaving the detached garage, then “stumbling” back into the home.

At 2:47 a.m. the German Shepherd suddenly ran out of the doggy door, and one minute later the two people exited the home through a side door. The two people ran back and forth to the garage before leaving the area around 2:52 a.m.”

“The two went to the McCaw’s house and snuck through the doggy door. Davies’ father said when McCaw came home, Yoon “ran after him and stabbed him,” and then “Gabe heard a gunshot.”

The boys snuck in through a doggy door to the house where the murder took place. This sounds like DM wasn’t home when they arrived but showed up soon after and caught them. So did the victim catch them in the garage where he was first attacked and then fled to his home where the boys followed and ultimately killed him? Why else would he be stumbling from the garage to the home of something hadn’t already happened? Or should we discount anything that jives with the biker story?
speculation: i feel like he was in the garage the whole time, its huge and it may have a man cage or maybe he was working on his bike. he "stumbled" maybe he was dranking out there, or fell asleep? he returned to main house and caught them in there.

I’m wondering the same.

Actually, my mind is going (MOO) to whether this kid suffered injuries in the past from playing football, and developed a possible drug dependency as a result of having been prescribed painkillers. It’s definitely out there, but sports injuries are a common way kids get hooked on opiates— just made me wonder whether he had any history of injury.

I’m also wondering if there was any family history of abuse that may have made this individual a better “target” or whether, as you point out, GD just knew he had valuables for the taking. Murder just seems so extreme for these kids—MOO.

Sad and infuriating.

Just my observation. Talented athletes get hooked not exactly when they are playing - because they count on sport scholarships, etc. it is when they stop due to traumas and their plans go haywire they are at a high risk of getting addicted, and emotional element is as important as physical one.

But, of course, there is always the chance of getting in to steal drugs, even if they are not addicts.

However, given how closely McCaw knew GD’s family. it is highly possible that GD felt angry, and it all was kid’s vengeance.

when i looked at it, the videos were gone.

I missed it -- was this before DM was named a victim?
It was immediately following. There were only eight or so videos from a decade or so ago, mostly shooting and extolling the virtues of Kalashnikov type 7.62mm automatic rifles which he referred to as the AK-47, including one video in which he hip fired using a bump grip to achieve a semblance of fully automatic fire.

It was immediately following. There were only eight or so videos from a decade or so ago, mostly shooting and extolling the virtues of Kalashnikov type 7.62mm automatic rifles which he referred to as the AK-47, including one video in which he hip fired using a bump grip to achieve a semblance of fully automatic fire.

Thanks. So it sounds like he could have defended himself given the opportunity.

Yes. The videos gave an impression that an attack on him would be "kill or be killed" which is a popular macho image to try to advance supposedly to intimidate and discourage but I can't say I think much of it, as it actually encourages any would-be attacker to initiate with lethal force.

Can't find it in my heart to even entertain that this alleged killer had impairment or got hooked on things based on sports which might have made him kill. There seems to be lots of him getting his family to buy his excuses and trying to shift the blame on others.They drove over an hour after leaving a camping trip to rob or rob and kill this man. No way the excuses make sense. If the alleged murderer could tell family that he was being blackmailed/coerced after the fact, he probably would have felt safe enough before the drive to the home. If this kid was not a higher profile athlete most would just want to throw the book at him and not give him any benefit of possible impairment. He is responsible from the moment he crawled through that doggie door and into this man's home. Detailed timeline at https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article265434331.html . And, just MHO.

The victim also had a German shepherd. But I suppose the dog did not respond because it knew Gabriel. And it sounds like the perpetrators had already taken possession of the firearms before the victim got home. I'm still trying to figure out what possibly could have led up to this. jmo

I agree, if the plan was to steal guns, knifes and any other items GD knew existed in the home, they would have wanted to get them and leave the house as soon as possible. Were they looking for something else and took longer than expected to find it? Or was this more personal? It's not been reported the relationship dynamic between GD and McCaw...did he resent the fact that McCaw and his mother no longer lived together? Or was McCaw emotionally / physically abusive to GD? Has it been reported how long GD and his mother lived with McCaw?
Not to my knowledge, but it has been reported that the mother and McCaw broke it off “two to four weeks before”. So, pretty recent.

Gabriel Davies’ mom, 50-year-old Amanda Olufson, had been in a relationship with McCaw, according to court documents. The couple had allegedly split up two-to-four weeks before his murder.
Formerly missing teen charged with murder: new details of the night of his disappearance emerge

Not sure of the veracity of the BBM but if so wow, that is recent. Based on wording in other news coverage I assumed the relationship had ended some time back not mere weeks before the killing.
Which makes me wonder if GD is, actually, a son who is close to his mother, and felt compassionate towards her. It doesn’t need to be a DV case between his mom and McCaw, but boys at this age are protective of their moms. If he felt that mom was not respected, it could have been enough to trigger him. It might have played a bigger role in the whole situation than guns or whatever was in McCaw’s safe. (Not condoning what has happened at all, just remembering how common this dynamic is).

The victim also had a German shepherd. But I suppose the dog did not respond because it knew Gabriel. And it sounds like the perpetrators had already taken possession of the firearms before the victim got home. I'm still trying to figure out what possibly could have led up to this. jmo
I wonder if his mom and the ex bf were battling over belongings or money, or debts, after they split up?

It is not uncommon to have messy disagreements when trying to untangle a living situation. Could his mom have been trash talking her ex, which is a normal response when a relationship ends, and it fuelled this kid's anger? Obviously that is not a valid excuse for the violence---I'm just trying to understand what set him off.

Was it pure greed and he just wanted the goods from the safe?

Has he burglarised others before this?

In this article it says that the victim let his mail stay in the po for a long time, but on Monday, someone picked it up.

If he did not show at work since Monday, I.e., might have been killed, who picked up his mail? And why, so that a lot of mail won’t attract attention? It must have been someone who knew he was dead.

He didn't show up for work for 4 days that's why a welfare check was made on him on Thursday. So if the guy works a M-F day job that means he didn't show up for work on Mon, Tues, Wed or Thursday. LE responded to the welfare check at 9:30 am on Thursday.

I'm curious who and when the deceased guy was last seen.
I am very curious who picked his mail on Monday, when he was probably already dead?

QUIET, PRIVATE, NEIGHBORHOOD -- FROM THOSE THAT WOULD KNOW:

Kisinger said the 51-year-old kept to himself, but sometimes she did hear him.

“Mostly if he rode his motorcycle because he was the only one in the area on a motorcycle, and I didn’t have to look out to see it was a motorcycle,” Kisinger said.
The severity of the situation is still shocking to many who live on the street.

“The only people that come up here other then those that live here is the mail lady, so it was quite the shock,” said Brainerd.

Source: Orting man killed was ex-fiancé of mother of teen arrested in murder investigation
So, if his was the only motorcycle in the area, where did the murderous biker gangs that descended on Orting and beat a kid into committing a crime come from?

I wonder if he and his ex used to use the same PO Box? Or did she maybe sometimes pick up his mail for him?
I don’t know. Obviously on Monday McCaw could not call anyone and ask to pick up his mail. Whoever did it probably had reasons to do it. JMO. On Friday, GD disappeared from Olympia. The distance between Orting and Olympia is about 1 hr. Inconvenient for a shared mailbox. Of course, boys could pick up mail, since they left the camping site for the second time on Sunday, 11+ AM, and their whereabouts are unaccounted for (we don’t know for how long, maybe they were still in the area on Monday). But several people paid attention to McCaw’s mail being picked up on Monday. Was it totally innocent, related to an alibi, or was the mail itself of interest?

Someone paid attention to the fact that Gabe who used to live in McCaw’s house for a significant amount of time was unaware of the camera, and that maybe McCaw installed the camera when G moved out. If so, continuing to share a mailbox, psychologically, is less likely. Although I agree, even with forwarding address, mail continues coming to an old place for quite a while, so it could be pretty innocent.

Last edited:
I’m really curious to know what GD and JYs demeanor was like when they returned to the campground. Did they go back and go to sleep? Or were they up and interacting with others? I would think after burglarizing/stabbing/shooting someone they’d be pretty shaken up or at least not acting “normal”. I also wonder where everyone thought they were during those hours; if they knew that they were gone from 1ish til 6ish or whatever it was, that’s certainly suspicious and strange times to be out and about. So many questions.

I also wonder if there was a witness who saw someone getting the victims mail. I’m thinking there must’ve been. I would have absolutely no clue if someone picked up my neighbors mail unless I saw it happen.

All JMO!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd