Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we tend to forget Kate's title will change.
William does not automatically become Prince of Wales. That title merges into the Crown upon the accession of a monarch and no longer exists. William and Kate, previously the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, which were created by the Queen in 2011 became the Duke and Dutchess of Cornwall, the peerage title for the heir apparent.

Elizabeth II gave Charles the title Prince of Wales in 1958 by Letters Patent. That title is not automatic although King Charles may choose to bestow in.

Right now, William is a prince, as son of a monarch, although NOT Prince of Wales (a title that no longer exists as of today) and Duke of Cornwall. Kate is not a princess I don't think (yet) but she is Duchess of Cornwall and is entitled to the style HRH.

I admit, I am not an expert and this is very confusing! But that is what I have been able to piece together. Maybe a resident Royalist will correct me.

I didn't expect to be so affected by this, yet, even though we've all known it must come sometime, it's really saddened me tonight. I think because she's been there in the background of our lives for so long, so many of us never knew a time without her on the throne - my late father was a toddler when she was crowned, the rest of my parents' generation in my family not even born, and I was born well after her silver jubilee, never imagining when as a child learning about Queen Victoria's long reign, that Elizabeth would outlive that by some way. Suddenly hearing references to "the King" feels so incongruous and just wrong... I imagine we'll get used to it in time but it's a shock, it's like a part of the world turned upside down.

And she was a great lady as well, not just long-lived but respected, she really lived up to the often-repeated quote where she said she'd serve the country for her whole life, long or short - I doubt we'll see another person like her, she really did put the country first, even down to still being there to confirm our new prime minister just two days ago. It really is the end of an era.
Thank you. Beautifully written.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are saying on our news that when Diana died, 60,000,000 flowers were left for her at memorials all over London.
They can only imagine how many will be left for Queen Elizabeth II.

Source: Ch7 TV New, Aus

My sincere condolences to our fellow WS members here, most especially to those who will always remember her as their Queen. Such an extraordinary woman. She lived a life of duty, personal service, and sacrifice. I have, and will always admire her. Dutiful, dignified, with a touch of humor when appropriate(!), Corgis shuffling about...she makes me smile in memory. Head of State for many, who grieve, along with her family. And there are those of us, in the rest of the world, like myself, tonight, who bow our heads and say a little prayer...and shed a tear, knowing the world tonight is at a loss, we were so lucky to have her for so long in steady presence. It made the unsure times a bit easier to bear, even going back to World War II and before, knowing how much she had seen and experienced, and all the things that passed in time while she was here. Most rare, and most beloved, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, may you rest in the greatest peace. Thank you for your service, from the great-great-grandchild of one born in Holborn. The box I have passed down through my family, it's staying out this week on display in remembrance.

Attachments

• 20220908_231504.jpg
    20220908_231504.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Prince William and Duchess Catherine are now the Duke and Duchess of Corwall and Cambridge. And then there are several other lovely Scottish titles they inhert automatically from King Charles III.

The Wales stuff will be settled later. Maybe even in a couple of years. Takes time to sort all this out.

9 Sept 2022

The Rt Rev Dr Iain Greenshields, 68, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, stayed with the Queen at Balmoral after performing a sermon at Braemar and Crathie Parish Church.

Greenshields had dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday with the 96-year-old, the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal.

'It was a fantastic visit. Her memory was absolutely amazing and she was really full of fun,' he told The Times.

'It came as a great shock to me when I heard she was gravely ill because she was in amazingly good form over the weekend.

'She was the life and soul of things. She was speaking very personally to me about her time there way back when she was a child, she was talking about her horses from the past, naming them from 40 years ago, people’s names and places. She was quite remarkable.'

Greenshields yesterday paid tribute to the 'faith, service and dedication of Her Majesty the Queen', saying this had been 'the hallmark of her long reign'.

Very lovely articles in the UK press.

Times of London, especially.

1662692602332.png

The day I met Her Majesty was most forgettable, for her​

Valentine Low recalls the woman he watched with admiration as royal correspondent

Part of this article:

"Just because the Queen and I never had any meaningful conversations, though, does not mean to say that I did not know her. Watching the Queen at close quarters for year after year, observing every nuance of her conversation, her speeches, the way she engages with people, gave me a subtle and invaluable insight into the Queen, almost without my noticing.

I learnt to tell when the Queen was enjoying herself and when she was not. I could tell, I think, when a casual remark was in fact loaded with meaning. And above all I learnt to admire her professionalism. Younger members of the royal family adopt a more casual, informal approach to the way they relate to the public. With the Queen, you know she is always the Queen. But underneath her regal manners there was a real warmth and humanity.

One of the last times I saw her was at the opening of the Elizabeth Line at Paddington Station. With her mobility problems she had originally handed the job to the Earl of Wessex but at the last minute she decided to come, a sprightly figure whose smile and desire to do the job she was meant to do — to turn up, to be seen, to do her duty — seemed undiminished. As she chatted to a member of staff at the ticket machine, full of questions, full of interest, I stood a couple of feet away and thought to myself: she does not have to do all this. She could have left it to Edward. She was 96, after all. She was a remarkable woman. And even though she probably did not know me, in my own very small way it was a privilege to have known her.

1662693323140.png

On Feb. 26, 1983, the Queen (age 57 then) arrived aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia during a 10-day tour of California. About 3,000 people gathered at Broadway Pier to greet the Queen and her husband Prince Philip.

During her two-day visit to San Diego, the Queen visited the U.S.S. Ranger aircraft carrier, the Old Globe and the San Diego Zoo.

She also visited the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. It was a special request by the Royal couple, who were interested in marine life.

The Queen and Prince Philip were given a tour by the then-director of the Scripps Institution, William Nierenberg. They toured the aquarium, where they got to see a sea lion up close. As with many of her other stops around San Diego, a lot of people came out to get a glimpse of the Queen.

Watch the Video

I too, lost my dear Scottish mother recently at age 94. She was very proper and loved Her Majesty the Queen. We would gossip about them all. Have the wedding plates.

I have massive appreciation for the duty Her Majesty was fulfilling up until her last day at her age. In her last photo, she even gives us a lovely smile, as if she is thinking of all of us.

I'm back to tears again. Time to look at some of those wonderful old photograph
I'm so sorry for your loss Herat. I can understand your mothers love of the Her Majesty & the royal family. My family has always been very interested in the Royal Family. My 32 year old daughter was in tears today.
When I was younger my family stayed up late into the night to watch Charles and Diana's wedding. It truly did look like a fairytale.
My daughter and I did it again for William & Kate. We enjoyed champagne, homemade scones & clotted cream in the wee hours of the morning. My daughter is now 32 and she was heartbroken when she heard the news as we all were. May Her Majesty rest peacefully after a VERY well lived life.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lovely anecdote.

I wish she would have told them before they went home!

My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(
I'm so very sorry for your loss @Seattle1
You're right. Theirs truly was a great generation!

"In remarks released for the 70th anniversary of her rule, the monarch expressed a “sincere wish’’ that Prince Charles’ wife, Camilla, should be known as “Queen Consort” when her son succeeds her as expected. With those words, Elizabeth sought to answer once and for all questions about the status of Camilla, who was initially shunned by fans of the late Princess Diana, Charles’ first wife."

"Simply put, it's the title of the wife of a reigning King. Prior to Camilla, the most recent Queen Consort was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, wife to King George VI. While wives of Kings are known as Queens Consort, the husbands of reigning Queens are known as Princes Consort. For example, Prince Philip served as consort to Queen Elizabeth."​

Oh God, now we have King Charles.

That's going to be the sunset moment for the British monarchy.

Charles, himself, is decent. A very well-educated for British royalty, and rather “in”, given him being a vegetarian, into organic food and interested in climate change. He will make a good monarch, I am sure.

I too, lost my dear Scottish mother recently at age 94. She was very proper and loved Her Majesty the Queen. We would gossip about them all. Have the wedding plates.

I have massive appreciation for the duty Her Majesty was fulfilling up until her last day at her age. In her last photo, she even gives us a lovely smile, as if she is thinking of all of us.

I'm back to tears again. Time to look at some of those wonderful old photograph

Sincere condolences to you Herat, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes