Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
For our American friends - a rundown of the Queen meeting your presidents over the years. Some nice pics, she was a beautiful young lady.

The Queen's coffin placed in Balmoral ballroom​

The Queen's coffin has been placed in the Balmoral ballroom where she danced as a young princess and where she later shared special moments with Prince Philip, to allow her loyal household staff to pay their respects before she begins her final journey back to London.
The coffin is currently in the ballroom, draped in the Royal Standard. It will remain there for two days before it is driven to the Palace of Holyrood House in Edinburgh. It will then be transported back to London later this week.
The ballroom held special memories for the Queen, whose affection for the highlands was well known. It is where she danced at the age of 12 as a young princess at the Ghillies Ball, an annual dance at Balmoral for the staff, which she enthusiastically attended for years.
The annual ball has been a tradition since the 1852, when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert first acquired the estate. It was their way of thanking the staff for their hard work and loyalty and is a tradition that has endured for well over 100 years.
Queen Elizabeth II was known to particularly enjoy the event and would often stay late into the night to celebrate with staff. Videos show her reeling with Prince Philip, the Queen Mother and Charles and Diana in 1991.
Her body will remain at Balmoral for the next two days before being driven to Edinburgh to be placed at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. She will stay there for an additional two days for a lying-in-state of sorts, before eventually being brought back to London for her funeral.

This made me choked up. May she rest in peace. I love they put her here.

LONDON With the death of Queen Elizabeth II, who ruled for more than 70 years, the United Kingdom has been plunged into mourning and at least 10 days of solemn ceremony.

Few alive anywhere in the world will have witnessed anything like the carefully orchestrated and detailed plan, including gun salutes, bells pealing across the land and millions gathering to pay tribute. Britain is in a period of official national mourning that lasts until the queen’s funeral.

Code-named London Bridge, the plan for the queen’s death, which has been years in the making, will stage-manage an otherwise uncertain few weeks for the nation, from the succession to a new king to a period of national mourning, the queen’s funeral and the eventual coronation of her eldest son, King Charles III, 73, according to advance briefings with Buckingham Palace officials...

Her Majesty showed dignity and strength during her reign. Like Elizabeth the I, she never expected to be Queen. The history alone that she lived through is amazing. Elizabeth II was Queen for awhile when I was born. In the first grade, I learned I shared the same birthday as the Queen April 21st. I consider it an honor. Hopefully, The Firm will gently move forward to modernize the monarchy. Many European countries have royal families. It remains a royal tradition of the evolution and history in the world. The US is still a young country who does not have the historical reference of a monarchy. Maybe that is why it is said you should pay attention to history because it tends to repeat itself....not always in a good way. The Queen was around long enough to have seen the repetition in action. I wish I could master a stiff upper lip. With respect to Her Majesty.

My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(

So sorry for your loss

Four years ago, DH and I enjoyed a wonderful tour of Scotland as members of a traveling choir that performed at several places. I was interested to read that the staff of Balmoral have been able to view her coffin in the ballroom at the castle. When we were there, the ballroom was the only part of the castle we and other tourists were allowed to enter. It had a lot of family photos and other items on display.

When we visited Edinburgh, our choir had a concert in St. Giles' Cathedral, where the Queen's coffin will lie before it travels to London. Unfortunately we didn't get to visit Holyrood Palace.

From the DM: Queen's coffin placed in Balmoral ballroom for staff to pay respects (bold red font by me)

The Queen's coffin has been placed in the Balmoral ballroom where she danced as a young princess and where she later shared special moments with Prince Philip, to allow her loyal household staff to pay their respects before she begins her final journey back to London.

The coffin is currently in the ballroom, draped in the Royal Standard. It will remain there for two days before it is driven to the Palace of Holyrood House in Edinburgh. It will then be transported back to London later this week.

The ballroom held special memories for the Queen, whose affection for the highlands was well known. It is where she danced at the age of 12 as a young princess at the Ghillies Ball, an annual dance at Balmoral for the staff, which she enthusiastically attended for years....

Scottish journey

The Queen's coffin will depart Balmoral estate in the coming days for the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh - the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland.

From here it will be taken in procession to St Giles' Cathedral, where the Queen will lie at rest, allowing the public to view her coffin....

Four years ago, DH and I enjoyed a wonderful tour of Scotland as members of a traveling choir that performed at several places. I was interested to read that the staff of Balmoral have been able to view her coffin in the ballroom at the castle. When we were there, the ballroom was the only part of the castle we and other tourists were allowed to enter. It had a lot of family photos and other items on display.

When we visited Edinburgh, our choir had a concert in St. Giles' Cathedral, where the Queen's coffin will lie before it travels to London. Unfortunately we didn't get to visit Holyrood Palace.

From the DM: Queen's coffin placed in Balmoral ballroom for staff to pay respects (bold red font by me)

The ballroom held special memories for the Queen, whose affection for the highlands was well known. It is where she danced at the age of 12 as a young princess at the Ghillies Ball, an annual dance at Balmoral for the staff, which she enthusiastically attended for years....

Scottish journey

The Queen's coffin will depart Balmoral estate in the coming days for the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh - the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland.

From here it will be taken in procession to St Giles' Cathedral, where the Queen will lie at rest, allowing the public to view her coffin....

Oh this makes me tear up again ! So kind to let her household staff have some private moments to mourn this dear lady.

This is interesting. About what King Charles may do with all these properties:

Give Highgrove to the Prince of Wales and his family, and maybe Sandringham, too

Keep Birkhall in Scotland for himself and open Balmoral to year-round visits. \

William, Andrew and Edward also arrived too late yesterday. It must have been quite a sudden downturn in her health.

Disappointing to learn Harry left as soon as he could, I’d hoped he might have spent some quality time with his dad and brother.
Last to arrive, first to leave.

I'm also sad he chartered a private flight to Aberdeen leaving hours after his brother and uncles but perhaps this was because MM was first believed to be traveling with Harry to Balmoral.

The Sussex's spokesperson (Scobie) later reported:

At 4.44pm, Omid Scobie, a journalist widely considered to be one of Meghan's friends, tweeted that the couple's plans had changed and that she now would be staying in Windsor, 'like the Duchess of Cambridge'

Why did Meghan's plan to join Harry at Balmoral change suddenly?

I have a morbid question. Apologies in advance.

Was the Queen embalmed? Would a funeral director be able to do that on site?
Royal corpses have traditionally been embalmed. In episode 1 of the Crown, the drama depicts the Queen's father (Albert) King George VI being embalmed in his chambers at Sandringham. No news about the preparation of the Queen's remains other than that her coffin will remain in the Balmoral ballroom until Sunday.

^^rsbm
I'm so pleased your choir performed in St Giles Cathedral! As St Giles was the church of my grandparents, I have solemn memories of their final services here.

I understand the Cathedral will be the place of the only private service for her Majesty and the Royal Family. Afterwards, the Cathedral will open to the public for 24 hours for a period of lying at rest, not lying in state because that will take place in London.

A kiss in the crowd as King Charles era begins – Daily Business

I was in Edinburgh on business a few years ago and visited Giles Cathredral, Edinburgh Castle, and the Royal Mile. While my connection to these places is simply as a tourist and not like yours as a "performer," having been to these places makes it all the more real. There will be a gun salute from Edinburgh Castle, something they do everyday at a specific time so that people can set their clocks.

Unrelated but something I found interesting in listening to some of the speeches in parliament, the Scottish MPs refer to her as "Elizabeth, Queen of Scots"

This is interesting. About what King Charles may do with all these properties:

Give Highgrove to the Prince of Wales and his family, and maybe Sandringham, too

Keep Birkhall in Scotland for himself and open Balmoral to year-round visits. \

I found a paywall at the link but accessed through MSN:

I'd love to go back to Scotland and tour more of Balmoral than the ballroom! (I do have some Scottish blood, BTW.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong