Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I got to see the Queen (more like glimpses through the crowd) when she visited Charlottesville, VA in 1976, where we lived at the time.

Charlottesville welcomed the Queen in 1976 during the nation’s bicentennial celebration, when more than 20,000 people gathered on the lawn at the University of Virginia, and heard her pay tribute to Thomas Jefferson.

“It is a moving experience to stand here amidst the beauty he created of this university and to reflect that it was for that that he wished to be remembered, rather than for his authorship of the Declaration of Independence, a document which changed the course of history,” the Queen said in her remarks.

I'm so emotional over William and Kate being the Prince and Princess of Wales. Princess Di was such a gem and it must be such an honor to Kate for her to be Princess of Wales just like her mother in law. I know that typically that's what can happen in the monarchy.

I'm emotional in general. I learned in history books about Kings and Queens so to be able to alive for this and see a King take the throne and what they do to honor the Queen/King when they pass away is surreal. I've started watching The Crown on Netflix. I'm very interested in learning about Her Majesty The Queen.

Thank you for all the kind comments on here , from around the world for QEll .
My monarch and the head of my church here in Scotland . An example how we should all live our lives.
I'm lucky enough to live 45 mins drive from Edinburgh , have visited, so many times , the places people are speaking of here . I am so glad her journey 'home ' takes her through Scotland's capital .

The royal beekeeper - in an arcane tradition thought to date back centuries - has informed the hives kept in the grounds of Buckingham Palace and Clarence House of the Queen’s death.

And the bees have also been told, in hushed tones, that their new master is now King Charles III.

The official Palace beekeeper, John Chapple, 79, told MailOnline how he travelled to Buckingham Palace and Clarence House on Friday following news of The Queen’s death to carry out the superstitious ritual.

He placed black ribbons tied into bows on the hives, home to tens of thousands of bees, before informing them that their mistress had died and that a new master would be in charge from now on.

He then urged the bees to be good to their new master - himself once famed for talking to plants.

The strange ritual is underpinned by an old superstition that not to tell them of a change of owner would lead to the bees not producing honey, leaving the hive or even dying.

Quoting an Aboriginal proverb in the speech, the Queen said: "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home.”

I believe the statement was part of an address at the 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting

Interesting. :)

SBM
GettyImages-1243093078.jpg

SBM

What other royals are left-handed?​

William's great-grandfather George VI was naturally left-handed too,...
[Snip]... inherited this the distinctive trait from his great-grandmother, Queen Victoria.
Sophie, Countess of Wessex is another famous left-hander ...
William’s son, Prince George, was also pictured using his left hand to play sports when he was younger. [Snip] ...it is not yet known for certain ...

SBBM

Famous Lefties

11/12
Four of the six most recent U.S. presidents were lefties: Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama. Celebrity southpaws include Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Tom Cruise, Paul McCartney, Prince Charles, and his son, Prince William.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88