Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

These numbers just don't add up for me.

A statement from TBI said:

The time taken to process these cases is attributed to the workload of the four scientists assigned to this department. These forensic scientists handle every biological evidence filing, from murders to SAKs to robberies, muggings and burglaries. In 2021, this included 602 submissions of evidence.

So 602 submissions to TBI in 2021. There are 260 weekdays in 2021, so they received 2.3 submissions per day. Divided among 4 staff members. That's 0.5 cases per day per person. How is that even possible? Even if 2 of them are dedicated solely to the backlog they only manage to process 1 submission per day between the two of them? What the heck?
<modsnip - not an approved source>
This is total incompetence. If I was Eliza’s family I would be outraged! She Coll would still be here if only these people did their jobs and took rape seriously. It’s my opinion, that the person who accused him last year was not taken seriously and here we are. I’d sue, I’d protest, I’d never shut up if I was her family. This is unfathomable & egregious! I’m pissed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eliza Fletcher murder suspect back in court for alleged theft after new abduction, rape charges in 2021 case

The Memphis man accused in the kidnapping and murder of Eliza Fletcher made a court appearance on Monday for a misdemeanor theft count just days after being charged in relation to an alleged 2021 rape and kidnapping of another woman.

Cleotha Henderson, who also goes by the name Cleotha Abston, appeared before Shelby County, Tennessee, Judge Louis Montesi around 9 a.m. local time on Monday for a brief hearing regarding a previous misdemeanor theft charge. The hearing was unrelated to the alleged murder of Fletcher, a young teacher who was abducted while running and murdered. It also was not related to the latest aggravated rape and kidnapping charges that are separate from the Fletcher case.

Henderson wore a dark green jail-issued jumpsuit and a dark face mask, but no handcuffs, for his brief appearance. Montesi asked Henderson to fill out a short affidavit related to the theft charge, and acknowledged that he will be represented by Jennifer Case, the public defender who has also been appointed in Henderson's more recent, serious cases.

He will be back in court on the morning of September 19.

Misdemeanor theft charge? Seriously? He is being held for kidnapping, rape, and murder, just wondering why a court appearance is necessary for a theft of less than a $1,000? Most jurisdictions are not even bothering with this type of theft.

Misdemeanor theft charge? Seriously? He is being held for kidnapping, rape, and murder, just wondering why a court appearance is necessary for a theft of less than a $1,000? Most jurisdictions are not even bothering with this type of theft.
It might seem minor in the scheme of things here, but this victim had their wallet and ID stolen and nearly $1,000 racked up on their credit/debit card. They deserve justice, too. IMO

This was the charge resulting from the theft he committed the day before the abduction and it's one of the sources of evidence in the Eliza Fletcher case (because the shoes that were found at the scene of her abduction are seen in the security video from the theft).

Was CA/H never listed on the violent juvenile SO registry since he was in prison in 2011 (and an adult) - which is when TN became compliant with the Adam Walsh Act?

If I have the TL correct, the test wasn't completed until after she was abducted
sorry wasn't meaning to be vague. I mean if they found a hit on him from CODIS on the slide in Liza's abduction why was the DNA from the 2021 rape not run against CODIS where they would have gotten the same sort of hit that LE in this case did. When exactly was Mr. A-H added to CODIS is what I am wondering. Because with one of his previous crimes being rape, he should have been added to the database upon his release from prison. I mean I get backlogs on DNA testing but I also find if very convenient that suddenly and magically they have now solved this rape from 2021, when they had or should have had this perp already in CODIS to locate. Liza's death could have been prevented is what it is sounding like to me.

sorry wasn't meaning to be vague. I mean if they found a hit on him from CODIS on the slide in Liza's abduction why was the DNA from the 2021 rape not run against CODIS where they would have gotten the same sort of hit that LE in this case did. When exactly was Mr. A-H added to CODIS is what I am wondering. Because with one of his previous crimes being rape, he should have been added to the database upon his release from prison. I mean I get backlogs on DNA testing but I also find if very convenient that suddenly and magically they have now solved this rape from 2021, when they had or should have had this perp already in CODIS to locate. Liza's death could have been prevented is what it is sounding like to me.
It seems that maybe LE had some knowledge of the sexual assault in 2021 and rushed that kit.
Yes, it seems it Eliza’s death could have been prevented.

As reported, there have been runs hosted across many cities today to honor Eliza, and it is a powerful and benevolent sight after the preceding bleakness.

I would like to propose one step further. If you are able and in condition and willing: consider training for your first 5k or half marathon this year in Eliza’s honor. It could impact your life more beneficially than you yet realize, and what better way to, with significant resonance, respectfully and meaningfully honor another. To let their life and joy impact your own, for the better.

It should go without saying, you could train in any way you are comfortable with and appraise as safe.

Just an idea to consider. It may be many months to get there in my own case, but I give my word to return to the thread once I have completed a race, with a photo of the race tag.

Until then, peace and be well. May your own light conquer the darkness to the best of your ability.
Yes! What an amazing legacy this would be for Liza - to have thousands of people improve their lives through fitness just as she did. You don't have to win the race. You don't even have to run. You can walk or roll instead. The point is to get out there and move. Break a sweat, get out of breath at first, and enjoy the moment when you realize your fitness is improving and you can do things you never thought you could.

FOX13 asked TBI if Henderson’s DNA should have already been in the system given that he was already a convicted felon, but that question was not answered.
I thought that's exactly how they identified a suspect from the slides..his shoes left at the scene had his DNA

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking they did connect him to the 2021 rape before they charged him but the priority was locating Liza. I bet the DNA from the slides hit on the rape case at the same time. But there was still a small chance Liza was alive at that point and they were trying to get him to talk. If they'd charged him immediately upon arresting him, that would eliminate any chance he might say where she was. Holding off a few days on the 2021 rape charges was okay because they had him in custody and he wasn't going anywhere.

But yes, he SHOULD have been charged a year ago. Liza SHOULD be someone we've never heard of, just a human enjoying her life doing whatever she pleased. Its hard to add MOO because I cant imagine anyone having a differing opinion, but MOO.

But that's not any different at all from the failure to timely test *any* rape kit, because rapists are often 'one man crime sprees' who don't limit themselves to rape. Every kit that goes untested is a potential failure to prevent a rape, murder, theft or other crime.

But that's not any different at all from the failure to timely test *any* rape kit, because rapists are often 'one man crime sprees' who don't limit themselves to rape. Every kit that goes untested is a potential failure to prevent a rape, murder, theft or other crime.
which is exactly my point. Someone upthread did the math based on the numbers provided in the article. It's not mathing for me. There shouldn't be such delays in testing samples collected or what is the point in collecting them? If not to prosecute and yes, in some cases prevent?

The state made the unnerving discovery on September 5, the same day Fletcher’s body was found.

Memphis Police submitted the sexual assault kit last September, but didn’t ask the TBI to expedite it, so the evidence got in line with the others.

Finally in June, forensic scientists were able to pull it off the shelf and start analyzing it, 10 months after the sexual assault kit was collected. That allowed Abston-Henderson to walk free and be able to allegedly commit another crime.

Abston-Henderson was already in the system for kidnapping and robbery, which is why investigators said once that sexual assault kit was processed, they quickly got a match.

Absolutely!! And this has happened before - 2 other instances have been mentioned on this thread even.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donwhoolery
Back