Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick, 49, Sydney, NSW, 12 Nov 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Inquest into the disappearance of Sydney fraudster Melissa Caddick continues
  • Caddick vanished in Nov 2020 after stealing $23.5mil through a Ponzi scheme
  • Det sgt Michael Kyneur was the first officer to work on Caddick's disappearance
  • He gave details of her husband Anthony Koletti's odd behaviour in the inquest
  • Investigator said Koletti gave different accounts about his wife's final moments
  • But he insisted Caddick's husband was not responsible for her disappearance

Detective Sergeant Michael Kyneur had read a police file stating that Anthony Koletti appeared flustered, sweating profusely and unsure of details regarding when he last saw his wife.
The officer on Tuesday was asked by Louise Coleman, junior counsel assisting the coroner at Caddick's inquest, why he did not press Koletti on his inconsistencies

Kyneur said he was mindful that his wife had recently vanished.
"I didn't cross-examine what he was saying in fairness to him, I also realised his wife was missing and I took that into consideration," he said.

When Melissa Caddick’s husband Anthony Koletti phoned her friend hours after she disappeared, he didn’t let on that she had vanished from their Sydney eastern suburbs mansion, an inquest heard.
Instead, the inquest heard he told Scott Little that she was safe in her bed and later explained to police he did so in the hope of eliciting a response that Ms Caddick was with him.

The inquest into Ms Caddick’s disappearance has heard that Mr Koletti appeared to police to be “evasive, vague and inconsistent”, “sweating profusely” and gave conflicting versions of key events in the days after the fraudster vanished.

Despite this, the senior cop who initially spearheaded the investigation into the mystery has defended the decision not to conduct a forensic crime scene examination of her Dover Heights home or consider Mr Koletti a suspect in her disappearance.

Anthony Koletti and Melissa Caddick. Picture: Facebook

Last edited:
So sounding a bit like…no evidence to suggest a crime was committed, but didn’t do a forensic search for evidence. I honestly am puzzled, if AK was sending the signals being described, there must have been a strong theory against him as a suspect of a crime.

So sounding a bit like…no evidence to suggest a crime was committed, but didn’t do a forensic search for evidence. I honestly am puzzled, if AK was sending the signals being described, there must have been a strong theory against him as a suspect of a crime.
Quoting myself because I’d forgotten. I think at the time MC went missing it seemed AK was acting suspicious because he was covering for MC, not that he had harmed her. I believed back then that she was in hiding and would reappear and he was trying to buy her some time.

I wonder the same. AK’s behaviour could also be suggestive at the time that he was aiding Melissa in hiding from police, that is what I had thought before her foot was found. (I don’t subscribe to the theory that Melissa had her foot cut off and is still alive.) AK’s behaviour is seriously odd, why would he tell a friend she was at home when she was missing? His explanation makes no sense. Why didn’t they forensically search the house? I guess hindsight is full sight, seems they really just believed she was hiding out somewhere.

Tuesday, Sep 13th 2022

An expert report examining barnacles growth on Ms Caddick's washed-up shoe concluded it spent no more than one week, and no less than two-three days floating in the ocean, the inquest was told.

While Ms Caddick is suspected to be dead, a forensic pathologist could not determine whether her foot was separated due to blunt force, sharp force or decomposition before it washed ashore at Bournda Beach on the state's south coast.

But it is 'very unlikely that Ms Caddick amputated her own foot', with or without the assistance of a non-medically trained individual, to stage her disappearance, Ms Coleman told Deputy State Coroner Elizabeth Ryan.

Other areas to be explored include her diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder and some criticism of the NSW police investigation.

Other areas to be explored include her diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder and some criticism of the NSW police investigation.

Reading about him, Detective Sergeant Michael Kyneur, the cop in charge for the first week of the case, comes across as naive to put it mildly.

It will be interesting to hear when MC was diagnosed as a narcissist and by whom.

From the articles I have read, it seems that the police opinions are/were split three ways.

There is the one who thought perhaps AK was aiding her escape.
There is the one who thought AK might have murdered Melissa.
And there is the one who thinks Melissa jumped from the cliffs.

I did read in an article today that the police have taken the last time that Melissa was seen alive as the time when her son saw her in the hours after the raid. Because AK can't get his story straight.

imo

Reading about him, Detective Sergeant Michael Kyneur, the cop in charge for the first week of the case, comes across as naive to put it mildly.

It will be interesting to hear when MC was diagnosed as a narcissist and by whom.
I don’t think Melissa was diagnosed, rather the forensic psychiatrist asked to give expert information made a retroactive assessment based on the written evidence. This ABC article explains more clearly. Experts cast doubt over Sydney fraudster Melissa Caddick's foot amputation theory, inquest hears - ABC News

She concluded Ms Caddick didn't have a diagnosable mental health condition when she disappeared, but likely would have satisfied the criteria for narcissistic personality disorder.

Quoting myself because I’d forgotten. I think at the time MC went missing it seemed AK was acting suspicious because he was covering for MC, not that he had harmed her. I believed back then that she was in hiding and would reappear and he was trying to buy her some time.
agreed, and covering for her in case she returned, and she may have been angry if hed told people she was missing when she may have just been taking time out for a day or two

Detective Sergeant Kyneur asked why Ms Caddick hadn't contacted Mr Koletti.

"Because there's no need to, do you think she wants to deal with the s***storm that I'm dealing with?" he replied.

Mr Koletti later suggested she might have been staying at a low-budget hotel.

"She could have a fat wad of cash stashed under the bed for all I know."

Det Sgt Kyneur told the inquest he was left with the impression Mr Koletti had information about Ms Caddick's whereabouts.

Paraphrased:

AK said he was "too busy working" at home to come into the police station after reporting MC was missing

The police officer found Koletti's behaviour "extremely strange & unusual"

Detective Sergeant Trent Riley spoke to AK after being alerted by to concerns by a junior officer who had answered AK's first call to report MC missing.

AK said his wife had been missing for 2 days but couldn''t come in to be interviewed beacuse " he had too much work on that day"

DS Riley later spoke toi AK & he said that his wife “was in good spirits the last time he saw her” and that he couldn’t understand why she would be missing.

AK failed to mention the raid the previous day, instead telling Riley that a “male colleague of Caddick’s was also missing.”

When asked why he didn't report MC missing the previous day , he said he didn't think she was missing, but than said he spend the previous day searching cliffs for her.

Riley told his colleague that AK's story “seems to be chopping and changing.”

Earlier in the day Detective Sergeant Michael Kyneur ( initial officer in charge) was grilled about deficiences in the early days of the investigation

In a recorded interview 12 days later was asked by Kyneur, why he thought his wife hadn’t contacted him. Koletti replied that there was “no need.” “Do you think she wants to deal with this shitstorm I’m dealing with?” Koletti said.

Kyneur didn't bother to obtain a 93 page affidavit that ASIC had given to the court in realtions to MC's crimes, saying that the police weren't investigating a fraud, but were investigating a missing person.

“Didn’t you think it was important to find out all that you could about Caddick?” asked Louise Coleman, junior counsel assisting the inquest.
Kyneur replied that in the early days he was concentrating on the belief she had self-harmed.

Asked whether he considered whether Koletti might have been an accomplice to his wife’s Ponzi scheme, Kyneur said “I didn’t turn my mind to the fraud in the early days.”

Within days police has compiled a risk assessment, which listed 3 scenarios: that she had been injured or killed possibly by her husband, that she had fled, or she had killed herself in the face of the ASIC investigation.

Sergeant Riley has raised suspicions about AK saying he was “sweating profusely” and was evasive, vague and inconsistent in his answers.

Kyneur had discounted the first scenario, & did not notify the homicide squad as there was no evidence a murder had taken place at Caddick's Dover Heights home.

Questioned about why he didn’t press Koletti over the inconsistencies in his various accounts to police, Kyneur said that he took into account Koletti’s stress about his wife’s disappearance. “It was obvious to me that he was flustered. He was all over the place,” he said.

Video in link of AK's interview ( 4min & 48 secs )

Jamie McKinnell

"Everything she's done has always been legit," he says. A sergeant tells him: "I'm a bit worried you're not telling me the full story". Mr Koletti insists it is.

Melissa Caddick inquest is being played another police body-worn video of officers speaking with her husband, Anthony Koletti, the day he reported her missing. He says he just wants her found: "I don't care about all this money, , you can't replace the love of your life."

Melissa Caddick inquest hears husband thought she would resurface for court date​

"Alright, where do you think she is?" he asked Mr Koletti.

"I have no idea where she is," Mr Koletti replied.

"But if she's going to turn up somewhere ... Friday the 27th is going to be the day she's going to rock up," he tells the officer, adding that this was for a court date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993