PA PA - Candice Caffas, 34, Endangered Advisory, mental health disability, climbed out window, Meadville, 15 July 2022

Nothing new, but the latest from 2 days ago:

"...She was last seen on July 16 on Route 285 at Conneaut Lake...Caffas went missing from her parents’ home in the 9100 block of Mount Pleasant Road, about 4 miles south of Meadville, late on July 15 or early July 16.

If I read the map correctly, that's a good 8 miles from her home, and would take at least 2.5 hours to walk, if not longer. From previous articles it said she was used to regular exercise to help stave off the effects of her health issue, but that's def. a long way for someone to wander off.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Nothing new, but the latest from 2 days ago:

"...She was last seen on July 16 on Route 285 at Conneaut Lake...Caffas went missing from her parents’ home in the 9100 block of Mount Pleasant Road, about 4 miles south of Meadville, late on July 15 or early July 16.

If I read the map correctly, that's a good 8 miles from her home, and would take at least 2.5 hours to walk, if not longer. From previous articles it said she was used to regular exercise to help stave off the effects of her health issue, but that's def. a long way for someone to wander off.

I was thinking the same thing, I think it would take 2.5-3 hours minimum. And that is assuming that she walked a straight route from her home to that location. I wonder if she could have been hitch hiking? I have read (I believe on this thread) that individuals with her condition tend to be highly manipulative in order to get their hands on food. I wonder if this would lead her to trying to hitch hike, which could have lead to foul play.

It has been such a long time now. Hoping for some news soon.

I was thinking the same thing, I think it would take 2.5-3 hours minimum. And that is assuming that she walked a straight route from her home to that location. I wonder if she could have been hitch hiking? I have read (I believe on this thread) that individuals with her condition tend to be highly manipulative in order to get their hands on food. I wonder if this would lead her to trying to hitch hike, which could have lead to foul play.

It has been such a long time now. Hoping for some news soon.
I have suspected foul play from the onset, despite her history of "break outs".
I am disconcerted that LE apparently (?) hasn't investigated this as potential foul play. A vulnerable citizen is higher risk

No updated news articles that I can find since my last post. If there are any locals on the thread please let us know if there are any ongoing efforts to find CC that you are aware of. Thank you.

She surely isn't hard to identify with her distinctive stature and looks. I saw some close up photos of her on FB. Many of the photos I have seen in the news are from a distance where she looks very child-like. The close-ups clearly show a more mature face of a woman her age. I wish the facial closeup was being distributed as well.

Again, I think solely focusing on the speculation that she took off on her own, isn't considering other possibilities that could be very real in this disappearance. Her family home is right near the highway; that is significant, with several truck stops near by.

No updated news articles that I can find since my last post. If there are any locals on the thread please let us know if there are any ongoing efforts to find CC that you are aware of. Thank you.

She surely isn't hard to identify with her distinctive stature and looks. I saw some close up photos of her on FB. Many of the photos I have seen in the news are from a distance where she looks very child-like. The close-ups clearly show a more mature face of a woman her age. I wish the facial closeup was being distributed as well.

Again, I think solely focusing on the speculation that she took off on her own, isn't considering other possibilities that could be very real in this disappearance. Her family home is right near the highway; that is significant, with several truck stops near by.

Her family and friends are still distributing fliers and spreading the word, but I don't think there are any organized searches going on. I check on the fb page often and it seems some people are searching places on their own and updating (with no results). I agree with you, I think it has to at least be considered that she left the immediate area not on foot. Otherwise, I fear this is most certainly a recovery effort at this point. JMO.

Trooper Cindy Schick, public information officer at the Meadville barracks, said Wednesday that police still are looking for credible information on Caffas’ whereabouts.

Large-scale searches coordinated by state police were scaled down after July 23 as all potential leads were exhausted.

Caffas’ relatives have put up a reward, now up to $12,500, for information that leads to her being found.

1662031740712.png
Anyone with any tips can call the State Police at the Meadville barracks.

Last edited:
Two missing Crawford County Residents Raises Questions for a Connection

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/4...HJmT41dopy520i_68r69iyOyZxNZALpbPNSwMglptjFOc

Article suggests the second individual, Debra Sue Daniel, was possibly abducted and that many believes this case could be connected to Candice…
1662032715182.jpeg

The search for a missing Meadville woman continues as her parents are not giving up hope to bring her home.

We spoke with Candice Caffas’ mother, and she remains determined to find her daughter no matter how long it takes. The 34-year-old with special needs has been missing for over two months.

Law enforcement and volunteers have spent countless hours looking for her.

“(What is your message to your daughter right now?) We want her to come home,” said Carol Caffas, Candice Caffas’ mother.

Candice Caffas’ mother said volunteer crews are still going out every day looking for her and looking over maps for places they may not have checked yet.

“That we need to check and we are double checking and triple checking the same places a lot. We get any tips, we go and find out if it was her or not. We usually stay there until we find out,” said Caffas.

She said everybody has been helpful in the search.

“Get lots of ideas of where to go or where to look, where to put players, where to go talk to people,” Caffas added.

Law enforcement also has not given up the search for Candice; Pennsylvania State Police released the following statement:

“This missing case involving Candice Caffas is still open. We are asking the public to remain vigilant and contact the Meadville State Police with any information that may assist in locating Candice. The state police will continue to follow up on any creditable leads.”

Candice’s mother said right now they are preparing for another search on Saturday.

It’s a sound Carol Caffas still clearly recalls hearing in her home as her special needs daughter remains missing to this day.

As of this morning, it’s been 10 weeks since her daughter, Candice, disappeared from the family’s small Union Township home in the 9100 block of Mount Pleasant Road, about 4 miles south of Meadville.

“It was 3:07 a.m. (on July 16). I heard something and she wasn’t in bed,” Carol Caffas said of Candice.

Candice, 35, who has Prader Willi syndrome, went out of the home’s bathroom window, Carol Caffas said.

“The noise I heard was either the (window) screen or her hitting (the ground) as it’s a 5-foot drop,” she said. “She had locked the bathroom door behind her and had locked the key in the bathroom.”

Carol Caffas and her husband, John, got the bathroom door open and discovered the screen over the room’s small window missing. Carol Caffas said there was a chair next to the window her daughter used to climb up to the window.

Carol Caffas said everything her house is locked due to the potential run-away issue with Candice.

“There are window alarms on bedroom and kitchen windows, but the bathroom window is little and high up,” she said. “I never thought about that.”

Candice, who turned 35 on July 23, had not run away from the home for almost 20 years until mid-July, Carol Caffas said

Candice ran away twice — on July 12, a Tuesday, and then early on July 16, a Saturday, when she disappeared, Carol Caffas said.

“She hadn’t taken off (before then) since she was 15 or 16,” Carol Caffas said.

Candice was able to leave around 6 a.m. July 12 when Carol Caffas briefly was dressing. Candice normally would lie on the living room couch and could be seen while dressing, Carol Caffas said. On July 12, however, Candice made the blankets look like she was still on the couch when her mom looked to check on her after she briefly closed a door to dress.

“We found her swimming in French Creek down by Ernst Farm about 8 a.m. (July 12),” Carol Caffas said. “That Tuesday all she would tell us was, ‘I was just going to head to Meadville.’”

More at link

NamUs said she 'frequently leaves her home' but according to her mother she'd only run away once, a few days before she went missing, since she was a teenager.
Where did they find her when she ran away on the 12th? What did Candace say about it?

NamUs said she 'frequently leaves her home' but according to her mother she'd only run away once, a few days before she went missing, since she was a teenager.
Where did they find her when she ran away on the 12th? What did Candace say about it?

Scroll upthread 2 posts from yours to post #72. The last section of the post gives details about when she went missing on July 12.

I’m usually very pragmatic when it comes to cases, and generally take info at face value. Not so for me with this one. The narrative isn’t ringing true for me.

Attachments

• 1666297673107.png
    1666297673107.png
    710.8 KB · Views: 0
Candice was last seen at Route 285 at Conneaut Lake.
I took a virtual "drive" around the area using Google Instant street view.
Pretty scenery, rural-ish, with well spaced houses frequently along the route. I virtually passed lots of trucks along the route...

Given the lack of info we have on this case, with the exception of the Conneaut Lake sighting, I have to speculate that she either:
a) drown swimming in the lake (apparently swimming was something she liked to "escape" to do)
-or-
b) was picked up by a trucker along the route; fate unknown

The 285/Conneaut Lake route is well traveled; she would have been seen by many. However, given her stature, she would have probably been dismissed as a school girl on the way home, unless seen close up.

This is a very sad missing persons case. But then again, aren't they all
Where are you Candice?

Given that she liked to 'escape' to go swimming and she was seen nearby, was the lake thoroughly searched? A quick google search tells me that the lake is large, but not extremely deep.

Sadly, that's probably the most likely explanation. It sounds like she knew how to swim, which is good, but given her size and disability she could have gone too deep or been caught off guard by a wave.

Given that she liked to 'escape' to go swimming and she was seen nearby, was the lake thoroughly searched? A quick google search tells me that the lake is large, but not extremely deep.

Sadly, that's probably the most likely explanation. It sounds like she knew how to swim, which is good, but given her size and disability she could have gone too deep or been caught off guard by a wave.
BBM. Yes, I agree with you.
I don't know to what extent the lake has been searched. If the lake isn't that deep (and other factors), a body would have surfaced within a few days, if not caught on anything beneath the surface. With a very deep lake, the weight of the water can hold remains down. (My amateur research). There are many other factors as well, but no sense in describing them here, as they conjure up unpleasant visualizations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back