Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Pfizer bivalent/augmented booster on Wednesday. I also had my flu vaccine at the same time. I had a very sore arm for about 40 hours, consistent with my previous Covid vaccines and boosters. I've had an upset stomach today and yesterday, but it may have nothing to do with the vaccines.

I got my Pfizer bivalent/augmented booster on Wednesday. I also had my flu vaccine at the same time. I had a very sore arm for about 40 hours, consistent with my previous Covid vaccines and boosters. I've had an upset stomach today and yesterday, but it may have nothing to do with the vaccines.
I hope you start feeling better soon: Personally I would choose not to get my flu vaccine at the same time as the Covid vaccine, though lots of people are doing that. Take care

I was very goos about getting both initial shots and 2 boosters but now somehow I am not enthusiastic about this bivalent one. The boosters made me headachy and sick and I do not feel like going through that again. We have people at work with COVID every week too... have I just lost my self preservaton instinct?

I was very goos about getting both initial shots and 2 boosters but now somehow I am not enthusiastic about this bivalent one. The boosters made me headachy and sick and I do not feel like going through that again. We have people at work with COVID every week too... have I just lost my self preservaton instinct?

JMO Yes you have. I spent a day in bed with each of the initial shots and both boosters…headache and fever. Having been hospitalized with Covid just before I was eligible for the first “jab,” I can assure you that feeling icky for a day is a small price to pay. As you know, the vaccines don’t prevent you from catching Covid, but they can make the difference in how sick you get. So I’m getting the bivalent booster at the first opportunity, along with my annual flu shot. Hey, I might even throw in the shingles shot I need while I’m at it! :) (Probably not LOL)

So I’m getting the bivalent booster at the first opportunity, along with my annual flu shot.
I got my Pfizer bivalent/augmented booster on Wednesday. I also had my flu vaccine at the same time

I had an appointment two days ago for my flu shot and for the bivalent booster, which would be my fifth Covid vaccine.

However, as I've just turned 65, the pharmacist didn't want to give me the bivalent and the flu shot together.

He said that since this is my first "senior" flu shot, at a higher dosage than I've had before, I should wait fourteen days before I get the bivalent. He was mildly concerned just in case I reacted differently to the stronger flu dosage.

All I had, though, was the usual sore arm for a day. I wish I had been able to take them both together. I have run to get each Covid shot as soon as they were available. I'll never forget how difficult it was to get an appointment for the first and second vaccines in January and February 2021.

I had an appointment two days ago for my flu shot and for the bivalent booster, which would be my fifth Covid vaccine.

However, as I've just turned 65, the pharmacist didn't want to give me the bivalent and the flu shot together.

He said that since this is my first "senior" flu shot, at a higher dosage than I've had before, I should wait fourteen days before I get the bivalent. He was mildly concerned just in case I reacted differently to the stronger flu dosage.

All I had, though, was the usual sore arm for a day. I wish I had been able to take them both together. I have run to get each Covid shot as soon as they were available. I'll never forget how difficult it was to get an appointment for the first and second vaccines in January and February 2021.
Interesting about waiting 14 days after the flu shot to get your booster. The nurse who gave me my booster shot yesterday told me I could have my flu shot at the same time, but I said I'd prefer to wait a while. I don't like to get the flu shot too early. As a senior, I've had the high dose flu shot for some years now with no problems. I did get a sore arm from the booster, but it's getting better.

I am eligible for the bivalent covid vaccination at the end of this month, which will be two months since I received the second booster shot. But the more I read and learning that after about 2 1/2 months the vaccine begins to lose its effectiveness, I am thinking of waiting until the end of October to get the booster so that I have strongest protection for Thanksgiving and Christmas period when there is more travelling and more Covid around, per past years. Ideally, I would like to have better protection until at least the end of February, when I hope that most of the holiday spread has begun to dissipate. One never knows, of course, how it will all play out.

Not sure, but am leaning in this direction. I will get the flu shot in early October, as I usually do, the high dosage version for seniors.

JMO Yes you have. I spent a day in bed with each of the initial shots and both boosters…headache and fever. Having been hospitalized with Covid just before I was eligible for the first “jab,” I can assure you that feeling icky for a day is a small price to pay. As you know, the vaccines don’t prevent you from catching Covid, but they can make the difference in how sick you get. So I’m getting the bivalent booster at the first opportunity, along with my annual flu shot. Hey, I might even throw in the shingles shot I need while I’m at it! :) (Probably not LOL)
I hope you can get the bivalent booster soon. DH and I need the shingles vaccination series too and will fit that in either before or after our flu shots.

Yes, please don't hesitate to get the bivalent booster! It will protect you much better from the recent omicron variants in circulation. Maybe you'll just have a sore arm like me. (I had the Pfizer booster.)

I hope you can get the bivalent booster soon. DH and I need the shingles vaccination series too and will fit that in either before or after our flu shots.

We keep putting off the new shingles vaccination series, also, but have it on the list. We got the older shingles vaccine a few years ago, but need to upgrade to the new, recommended vaccine series. We saw shingles come on quite suddenly, unexpected, years ago when my mother-in-law was visiting us. She was feeling fine, until one morning she woke up with severe pain on her head and soon there was a rash on her forehead that was spreading toward her eyes. She was hospitalized immediately and they were worried about her eyes and the possibility of her losing her eyesight. Fortunately she recovered without anything happening to her eyes. But it was a real warning to all of us on just how quickly shingles can erupt and cause great pain and potentially serious complications, if the virus is dormant in your body since childhood.

Me too! Our doctor doesn’t have it yet and the local chain drug store didn’t either. So my project this week is to find them somewhere and get them. I have some medical stuff coming up, so I want them out of the way. Plus, the college kids are back in town, bringing flu and covid with them, so I’ve learned to get my flu shot much earlier than I used to.

The Guardian UK
He should see my nephew with special needs who is struggling with covid. He has a severe form of CP and is cared for by his mom and nurse. He’s been mostly homebound for 2 1/2 yrs. and super healthy. The nurse has it and now my nephew. Everyone who’s allowed to be around him is vaccinated and boosted.

He should see my nephew with special needs who is struggling with covid. He has a severe form of CP and is cared for by his mom and nurse. He’s been mostly homebound for 2 1/2 yrs. and super healthy. The nurse has it and now my nephew. Everyone who’s allowed to be around him is vaccinated and boosted.

I strongly disagree that the pandemic is over: so many people are contracting the virus now- among younger people who are vaxxed it appears to be fairly mild- however 400 people are still dying every day from this virus- mostly people over 75, from what I have read---

I am sorry about your nephew who is struggling with this nasty virus. I don't think our president should be making a statement that the pandemic is over. I think that is irresponsible primarily because it isn't true!

I am eligible for the bivalent covid vaccination at the end of this month, which will be two months since I received the second booster shot. But the more I read and learning that after about 2 1/2 months the vaccine begins to lose its effectiveness, I am thinking of waiting until the end of October to get the booster so that I have strongest protection for Thanksgiving and Christmas period when there is more travelling and more Covid around, per past years. Ideally, I would like to have better protection until at least the end of February, when I hope that most of the holiday spread has begun to dissipate. One never knows, of course, how it will all play out.

Not sure, but am leaning in this direction. I will get the flu shot in early October, as I usually do, the high dosage version for seniors.
FWIW, I too am leaning towards maximizing holiday season protection. I am able to live my life without being in crowds, however, which is not the case for many.

I went to a rug hooking convention in Kansas City from 9/14 to 9/18. I just found out I was exposed to COVID last Thursday. There were probably 200-300 people at the convention with groups of 10 to 15 meeting in small conference rooms. One of the people who was in a conference room for a class that I attended tested positive last night. I hope I don’t get COVID. But also I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and a laser treatment on my eye on Friday. I don’t know if I should cancel these appointments or not. I’m fully vaccinated, except for the last one.

I strongly disagree that the pandemic is over: so many people are contracting the virus now- among younger people who are vaxxed it appears to be fairly mild- however 400 people are still dying every day from this virus- mostly people over 75, from what I have read---

I am sorry about your nephew who is struggling with this nasty virus. I don't think our president should be making a statement that the pandemic is over. I think that is irresponsible primarily because it isn't true!
Thank you. It's far from over in my state.

I went to a rug hooking convention in Kansas City from 9/14 to 9/18. I just found out I was exposed to COVID last Thursday. There were probably 200-300 people at the convention with groups of 10 to 15 meeting in small conference rooms. One of the people who was in a conference room for a class that I attended tested positive last night. I hope I don’t get COVID. But also I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and a laser treatment on my eye on Friday. I don’t know if I should cancel these appointments or not. I’m fully vaccinated, except for the last one.
I'd call the drs offices. I wore a mask when I had a laser procedure.

Every medical office I go to asks if I have been exposed to Covid in the past two weeks…so yes, I would call each office and disclose this before you show up. So sorry. I hope you don’t get it. Being fully vaxxed doesn’t prevent you from getting covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy