Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
the curfew again:

Kiely normally has a curfew to be home by 11.30pm but sometimes messages asking to stay out until 12.30am if she is at a party.

“We always grant that. She never misses a curfew and if she is going to be late she’ll call or text to let us know,” said Ms Rodni-Nieman.

Ok, so Kiely texted her mom at 11:30 to say she would be leaving the party at 12:15 (?)

Kiely's mom must have fallen asleep shortly after, as she apparently did not realize the phone sharing app location was turned off at 12:03, until the following morning when she realized Kiely was not there.

Kiely WAS running late from the party if she was still AT the party when she called SS at 12:36, and when SS last saw her at 12:25.

No one has said anything about Kiely texting her mom or her stepfather AFTER 12:15 when she would have been LATE leaving the party, right?

It's just a little odd to me there wasn't a "Going to bed. Oh, hey Kiely's still out, she's going to be late" conversation between the adults. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just trying to get a firm timeline and understand what happened when. I feel as though the timeline is really important and nothing about it adds up. JMO.

yes she certainly could have. Once on mushrooms I drove around the same 4 blocks and stopped for directions at the same store for 2 hours! One of the guys finally said, hey I know where you live, just follow my car. My dad took the car away for 2 weeks because he said I was lying about being lost. Also shrooms can sometimes be more hallucinagenic than LSD, say she took a wrong turn towards the water, it could look like a flashing, shining pathway to a bridge that would go over the water kind of thing. But! iirc we have no inkling she took hallucinagenics from witness statements
it was in Ft. Lauderdale and I spent the summers there. The numbered streets are on weird diagonals that cross numbered avenues.Every time I arrived at a corner I would contemplate which way on the numbered street or avenue I had turned before. Finally, when I went in the store to ask directions yet again, a guy said, do you want me to call the police to help you and I was like, nooooo I know I live right here somewhere and thats when he took pity on me. So she could be in a familiar place but on that stuff its a crapshoot and even being attracted to the water would also be sort of a certainty. And for her age, she might not need shrooms, alcohol could also confuse her.

Sure, everyone could be lying for whatever reason but there was also a can of alcohol in Kiely’s car (in the AWP video)
RSBBM
Every aluminum beverage can has lot data printed in permanent ink, normally on the bare aluminum part. If it was fully legible when it left the bottling plant*, LE will be able to tell what plant the Truly can came from and, combined with data from the bottler, the area (and possibly the retailer) to which it was shipped; the UPC will tell whether it was sold individually or as part of a pack. The lot number will also indicate when it was made, independent of the expiration date which should also be present.
JMO

* said data on the can presently in front of me is not entirely legible because it is not printed on a smooth part of the can. Also, I have never had a Truly.

We have a lot of conflicting info and comments to decipher, that’s for sure. And who knows the validity of any of them.

it is very strange that we’ve heard she was smart and wouldn’t drive while intoxicated, but then she said she was the DD per Sami, and then she said she wanted to get wasted. Again, per Sami. A lot of what we have to go by here is PER SAMI. Hmmmmmm…

if she was hallucinating, she could have seen water as an airplane runway, ready to take her plane off into the sky. Hallucinating means you don’t see reality.

I wish we had more commentary from friends other than the one spokesperson.

She also brought Mags to the party. Was she wasted already at 10 pm? If Mags had not left with her boyfriend, how was Mags supposed to get home?

I hope this does not come across as disrespectful, but I'm just going to say it: I've wondered if maybe everyone giving us information about Friday was drunk or impaired that night? It was a Friday night. It would explain a lot of the things that just do not make much sense, and have us all sitting here trying to make them make sense.

Kiely's mom must have fallen asleep shortly after, as she apparently did not realize the phone sharing app location was turned off at 12:03, until the following morning when she realized Kiely was not there.
RSBM for clarity

One of the biggest questions: WHY would Kiely turn off her tracking app after talking to her mom?
IF that is how it happened.

MOO

Just googled. A code of silence . It sure looks that way. MOO JMO

RSBM
Perhaps through the omertà of social media?
MOO
IMO, by its very nature, social media is the antithesis of omerta.

1O years ago, BSL stalked Mickey and girls like her through social media because they constantly posted on 4 square and other aps where they were in real time! he had all kinds of clever ways he got their IpS and email and SM pages and had dozens of womens regular whereabouts. Now, not very much random real time posting at least at bars with these girls anymore.

Sami described it as Lord of the Flies out there. Not very good phone reception, needing somewhere to charge them, etc. These kids were IMO not posting where they were and what they were up to in real time and I could even see it being an unspoken behavior. Cops were 1O minutes away. pics could be posted after the fact when they left the area.

Here is a genuine question...are we so sure that our phones are that omnipotent that one of them cannot be 2 minutes different than the other% Not sure why that gap would be considered clandestine.
IMO Sami could not have done something to KR in those 2 minutes
of phone descrepancy. She would have to be a completely polished psychopath at her age to carry out the liaison with LE and give all those interviews knowing she had disappeared her friend! Just. Not. Buying. It. Sami is flighty and likes attention but innocent of wrongdoing, IMHO

Last edited:
Here is a genuine question...are we so sure that our phones are that omnipotent that one of them cannot be 2 minutes different than the other% Not sure why that gap would be considered clandestine.
IMO Sami could not have done something to KR in those 2 minutes

of phone descrepancy. She would have to be a completely polished psychopath at her age to carry out the liaison with LE and give all those interviews knowing she had disappeared her friend! Just. Not. Buying. It. Sami is flighty and likes attention but innocent of wrongdoing, IMHO

RSBM and BBM

To be fair, we do NOT know who could have or may have had an oportunity to do something to Kiely IF they had an oportunity to do something in the first place.

Also, we don't know what kind of personality any of them actually has TBH.

Nearly anything could have happened that night; without any verifiable proof all we have is theories, speculation and guessing.

MOO
Speculation

Hey All, I have been reading through many of the threads for weeks—and you all are incredible! I’m trying to remember if/where I heard that KR had an ongoing conflict with another person before and during the party? And that she and SS weren’t actually close friends?

Perhaps from the AWP video? I ask because, I’m stuck on this thought that involves KR deciding to star gaze or even take a small cat nap in the hatch of her car before driving home….complete speculation, but hear me out…and she drives her car to the edge of the reservoir after texting mom. It would make sense for the hatch of the car to be facing the water, for a better view or possibly for an easy drive out when she was ready to leave?

I’m leaning more towards she decided to cat nap and secured herself in the car maybe by locking the doors or something, and laid down in the hatch. Again, entirely speculating, but I cannot quit running this scenario in my head…perhaps another person/people approached her car while she was likely in a deep sleep, that person/people made a terrible choice in that moment to break a window and put her CRV in neutral—and physics did its thing on the decline.

And just now as I’m finishing this post, I’m thinking “wait, what time did she text her mom and how soon was that before her last ping”?

Total amateur view, opinion, thought process.

Hey All, I have been reading through many of the threads for weeks—and you all are incredible! I’m trying to remember if/where I heard that KR had an ongoing conflict with another person before and during the party? And that she and SS weren’t actually close friends?

Perhaps from the AWP video? I ask because, I’m stuck on this thought that involves KR deciding to star gaze or even take a small cat nap in the hatch of her car before driving home….complete speculation, but hear me out…and she drives her car to the edge of the reservoir after texting mom. It would make sense for the hatch of the car to be facing the water, for a better view or possibly for an easy drive out when she was ready to leave?

I’m leaning more towards she decided to cat nap and secured herself in the car maybe by locking the doors or something, and laid down in the hatch. Again, entirely speculating, but I cannot quit running this scenario in my head…perhaps another person/people approached her car while she was likely in a deep sleep, that person/people made a terrible choice in that moment to break a window and put her CRV in neutral—and physics did its thing on the decline.

And just now as I’m finishing this post, I’m thinking “wait, what time did she text her mom and how soon was that before her last ping”?

@FourLetterWord
Welcome to W.S.!!

In order to take a nap in the back of the SUV, she would have had to fold down the back seats to make room to lie down. The hatch itself, without the back seats folded down, would be too small an area for a person to lie down. As far as I know, the vehicle when recovered did not have the back seats folded down.

In order to take a nap in the back of the SUV, she would have had to fold down the back seats to make room to lie down. The hatch itself, without the back seats folded down, would be too small an area for a person to lie down. As far as I know, the vehicle when recovered did not have the back seats folded down.
BBM.

From the video of the suv being recovered it does appear that the rear seats were in the up position.
MOO

BBM.

From the video of the suv being recovered it does appear that the rear seats were in the up position.
MOO
is it possible that K did bring the back seats down to take a nap
but the seats came up when the car flipped-> pushing her against the now upside car's roof ?
Are they "locked " down once they are folded down and a person lay on them?

============================================================
Adding info -if relevant...
I found this at: https:// getjerry.com/questions/how-do-i-fold-down-a-honda-cr-vs-back-seats

Newer Honda CR-V models have a simple lever located behind the rear seats on the side of the interior. When you pull this lever, the back seats fold down in one motion.
For older Honda CR-V models, you’ll have to follow these steps:
  • Push the seatbelt buckles into the seat cushions.
  • Release the center seat belt from the detachable anchor and let it retract into its holder on the ceiling.
  • Be sure the rear armrest is stored.

• Push the button next to each headrest to turn the headrests downwards.
  • Lower the center headrest as far as it will go.
  • Come around to the side door and pull the tab that’s sticking out to the side from under the seat.
  • Push the back of the seat down so that it’s laying flat.
  • Repeat the process with the seat on the other side of the car.
  • =======================================================
-You do have to release the center rear seatbelt ( ceiling) See step 2

I've had the thought for some time now that KR laid down in the back possibly the hatch was open and her and others were sitting hanging out, drinking and maybe she just passed out and SS or someone else thought it'd Funny to park her car with her in it somewhere else so she'd wake up and be like wtf? But maybe they accidentally drove it in the water because they were messed up to, and climbed out and left her behind. Or parked it close to water and it accidentally rolled in. OR EVEN MAYBE she did get into a fight with someone, and said person broke her window out and KR drove off and accidentally drove in the water??

But then, I start thinking about all of the OTHER odd details and things that have been said about that night or about the people involved and I don't know what to think. Are these odd buts of information just conicidences? Or the truth to some of it? There's so many twists and turns to this case.

Hi, I've been lurking here since Kiely went missing. I've read the threads and like all of you, I've questioned and considered the witnesses' statements, facts, and missing pieces from the night Kiely went missing. The most frustrating aspect of this case is that everything we have has been filtered through young and impaired minds which makes it all suspect and rather confusing at points.

That said, I come to the conclusion that I believe this was a tragic accident, but I still have questions about how it could have occurred. I recognize the many red flags and seemingly contradictory information, but I've largely dismissed it as very drunk teenagers trying to mentally recreate a night where their faculties we're not in great working order. Additionally, I do think there are some details excluded very purposefully but that seems a given with drunk kids who feel fearful, guilty, or both. I'm not sure if that information would be helpful or not.

To get to the point of this post, I have a few questions I'm wondering if anybody can answer. If it was covered in the threads, I missed it. I think Kiely was likely very drunk and high which is a very bad combination when coupled with driving in a very dark area alone at night. Further complicating the situation was likely a lack of focus on the primary task of somehow driving home in that condition. She was in party mode, snat chatting, and perhaps messing with music. A lot of distractions for a young, inexperienced girl. I attached a photo of a portion of the lake and marked some spots I think are key. There's a parking lot area where Kiely may have parked? If she did, then my theory is pretty simple: she turned the wrong way and drove straight down the boat ramp and into the water. Since it's a paved road until nearly the end, it wouldn't likely seem wrong or register as off road and it wouldn't take long for her to reach the water. If she parked elsewhere around the PF campground, I still think she somehow took a wrong turn and drove the ramp. My question is does anybody know if that road has signs saying boat "Boat Ramp" along the way? If signs exist, it makes me question my theory more but if they don't, I have no problem believing she simply went the wrong way and drove straight into the water. The ramp is close to where she was found, which I marked on the pic in green. It seems reasonable that her car could have floated that short distance, especially if she entered with some speed. Also, note I'm talking about the ramp that was close to the party and not on the opposite side.

I think once she hit water, there was no chance for her to think quickly and coherently enough to escape. In total darkness and cold water rushing at her, she likely barely had time to figure out what was happening before it was too late. I do think she tried to chase some air or dryer portion of her car which could be why she was in the back portion. I don't believe she was completely in the cargo area. I think maybe her upper body was, but it's likely she was "climbing to higher ground" so to speak. I don't think many people could escape through an open window in blackness but that aside the force of the water would have been too strong for her to counter. I imagine it would have thrashed her around a bit unless she held on to something like the steering wheel.

This is where my mind has landed but I don't dismiss other theories. Certainly there was room for any number of things to have happened, but I don't think anybody purposefully put her and her car in the water. Likewise, I don't think the RA guy saw Kiely, but did see a girl who resembled her. I think the timeline was slightly off by a few minutes regarding her final communication with SS and when her phone went "dead." I think it went dead from being submerged in the lake. It's telling that it last pinged from the shore not far from where she was found. As for her mother not having tracking info from 12:03 on, I think she may have inadvertently turned it off. Not sure what app they used. I know I often switch to airplane mode on accident so changing settings can be done without one knowing and by simply touching something you didn't know you touched. It's too late to proofread so I hope this is readable. Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer my question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-231455-643.png
    Screenshot_20220917-231455-643.png
    594.9 KB · Views: 32
is it possible that K did bring the back seats down to take a nap
but the seats came up when the car flipped-
RSBM for clarity

it is technically possible but I think that even when the suv rolled over back on its wheels the seats probably wouldn't have latched with them pushing up against Kiely

MOO

And if you think like a drunk person, a typical one at least, most things are funny? Assuming a good natured drunk.

We obviously have no idea what she could have been thinking or feeling, and we have to go off of her friends accounts of the evening to gauge how inebriated she was. If she did enter the water driving drunk, I think it makes more sense she was already down on the likely with a small group of people.

I was also thinking about something I thought might be anecdotal about drunk drivers often not being injured in car accidents, and why that was? I found several articles about this. While reaction time is slowed, which could factor in to escaping a flooding vehicle, note:

By not bracing for impact, the intoxicated person's body is able to take the path of least resistance during a collision—it's not uncommon to find a drunk person curled up, relatively unharmed, in the car's front foot well—and is also more able to absorb the energy caused by the impact.

Also goes on to suggest being RELAXED is beneficial....i.e. drunk drivers are not tense, panicked, etc.

This one has more factual sources. I'm not saying either prove a point, but they're interesting. Do Drunk People Really Survive Car Crashes More?
The other thing is even a drunk person can come to their senses if its life and death. So if she was that drunk or inebreiated I highly doubt she would even make it to the lake, she would have had an accident a lot earlier than the lake. Secondly the car has to sink, it has to hit the water first so it would give time for the person to feel their way. Even if inebreiated people are slow my point is that they can still try to feel their way out, a slow reaction doesn't necessarily mean death (taken in context in Kiely's example) it just means as the car is making its way to the botom the person can slowly feel their way.

Hi, I've been lurking here since Kiely went missing. I've read the threads and like all of you, I've questioned and considered the witnesses' statements, facts, and missing pieces from the night Kiely went missing. The most frustrating aspect of this case is that everything we have has been filtered through young and impaired minds which makes it all suspect and rather confusing at points.

That said, I come to the conclusion that I believe this was a tragic accident, but I still have questions about how it could have occurred. I recognize the many red flags and seemingly contradictory information, but I've largely dismissed it as very drunk teenagers trying to mentally recreate a night where their faculties we're not in great working order. Additionally, I do think there are some details excluded very purposefully but that seems a given with drunk kids who feel fearful, guilty, or both. I'm not sure if that information would be helpful or not.

To get to the point of this post, I have a few questions I'm wondering if anybody can answer. If it was covered in the threads, I missed it. I think Kiely was likely very drunk and high which is a very bad combination when coupled with driving in a very dark area alone at night. Further complicating the situation was likely a lack of focus on the primary task of somehow driving home in that condition. She was in party mode, snat chatting, and perhaps messing with music. A lot of distractions for a young, inexperienced girl. I attached a photo of a portion of the lake and marked some spots I think are key. There's a parking lot area where Kiely may have parked? If she did, then my theory is pretty simple: she turned the wrong way and drove straight down the boat ramp and into the water. Since it's a paved road until nearly the end, it wouldn't likely seem wrong or register as off road and it wouldn't take long for her to reach the water. If she parked elsewhere around the PF campground, I still think she somehow took a wrong turn and drove the ramp. My question is does anybody know if that road has signs saying boat "Boat Ramp" along the way? If signs exist, it makes me question my theory more but if they don't, I have no problem believing she simply went the wrong way and drove straight into the water. The ramp is close to where she was found, which I marked on the pic in green. It seems reasonable that her car could have floated that short distance, especially if she entered with some speed. Also, note I'm talking about the ramp that was close to the party and not on the opposite side.

I think once she hit water, there was no chance for her to think quickly and coherently enough to escape. In total darkness and cold water rushing at her, she likely barely had time to figure out what was happening before it was too late. I do think she tried to chase some air or dryer portion of her car which could be why she was in the back portion. I don't believe she was completely in the cargo area. I think maybe her upper body was, but it's likely she was "climbing to higher ground" so to speak. I don't think many people could escape through an open window in blackness but that aside the force of the water would have been too strong for her to counter. I imagine it would have thrashed her around a bit unless she held on to something like the steering wheel.

This is where my mind has landed but I don't dismiss other theories. Certainly there was room for any number of things to have happened, but I don't think anybody purposefully put her and her car in the water. Likewise, I don't think the RA guy saw Kiely, but did see a girl who resembled her. I think the timeline was slightly off by a few minutes regarding her final communication with SS and when her phone went "dead." I think it went dead from being submerged in the lake. It's telling that it last pinged from the shore not far from where she was found. As for her mother not having tracking info from 12:03 on, I think she may have inadvertently turned it off. Not sure what app they used. I know I often switch to airplane mode on accident so changing settings can be done without one knowing and by simply touching something you didn't know you touched. It's too late to proofread so I hope this is readable. Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer my question.
There was no boat ramp at where she entered the water and it takes time from the road to Prosser Lake its not as close as it looks on maps. She would also have to turn her vehicle to the direction of the lake from the road. It won't go straight through to the lake before the Prosser Lake beach. She has to cross the beach so it will take time. I believe elevation from the road to the beach factors in also. Yeah it is very confusing how she got into the lake when everything is factored in.

Dropped pin

Unfortunately, your map is incorrect. The party was not at the Prosser Family Campground, but rather more to the southwest, and I dropped a pin on the attached google maps link where her car was found. It was not close to the paved boat ramp, but rather an unpaved "informal" boat launch.

EBM to change west to southwest to be clearer.

Thank you for bringing this up, it has always bothered me. KR had her curfew extended until 12:30, so would have needed to leave by approx 12:00 midnight to meet curfew, IIRC. But her mom knew she wasn’t leaving until 12:15 and would be home closer to 12:45? So her mom was cool with her going past the already extended curfew? Which KR had always been so reliable, I’m sure it seemed reasonable to her mom, I guess?

Yikes and reading that her phone location app was turned off at 12:03 is seriously creepy, considering the outcome of the evening. Who turned that off, KR or ????

Interestingly, leaving around midnight to meet the typical hours curfew extension coincides with her phone shutting off at 12:03.

A prank, or some other impulsive act gone wrong, seems possible to me as well.

Lord of the Flies can also be interpreted as feral, right? We already know they're out there drunk and high in the woods having "friendly fights".

Which is why I've thought doing stupid stuff with vehicles near the water also seemed something to consider.

There is also stuff starting to circulate that cannot be brought here, that gives a general vibe/impression of these parties, and what the young people in the area consider normal.

I think when we consider "foul play", it doesn't have to be some convoluted scenario with "shady characters" or anything twisted. It could be something as simple as a few people split off, thought they were having fun, doing the kinds of stupid risky stuff they typically do, and this time something went wrong. Some of them were possibly so bombed they didn't realize it went wrong until Kiely was reported missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member