Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
An update (sort of):

So according to this article they were found approximately 2 1/2 miles from Lyric’s home. I wish we knew what time the neighbor heard the gun shots. Was Devin in the car and they picked up Lyric? Maybe picked Lyric up first, then Devin and went somewhere else and this happened on the way back to Lyric’s?

Do we have the location where they were found? If not, I can post the approximate location along the easement road.

So according to this article they were found approximately 2 1/2 miles from Lyric’s home. I wish we knew what time the neighbor heard the gun shots. Was Devin in the car and they picked up Lyric? Maybe picked Lyric up first, then Devin and went somewhere else and this happened on the way back to Lyric’s?

Do we have the location where they were found? If not, I can post the approximate location along the easement road.

But, on Thursday, the sheriff's office allowed the release of the 911 call made by an ATV rider who found the bodies near the intersection of Buckhorn and Yarbrough roads. (Snip)
"There's an access, like where the power company kind of road is. They are just lying on the side of the road," the caller said.

D60AA306-8A9F-410A-BBAE-D7B85D21BF7F.jpeg

Sorry, I’m not great at this, especially from my phone.

The red x is the power line easement. The guy wires are visible behind the cross they her Granddaddy placed for her. The neighbor who heard the gun shots is across the road from the easement road.

I watched an interview with Devin’s Mama and she stated that Lyric and Devin were friends. She sort of stumbled a little saying it.

MOO
IMO
I’m not implying that either of these kids are involved with gangs, but throwing out the possibility that they could be victims of gangs activity.

Alamance County is one of the counties with the highest number of gangs…40ish, depends on who you ask. Guilford County (Greensboro) to the West and Durham County, to the East are included not surprisingly because they’re along the I85/I40 corridor. The gangs have different initiations, some members have to be jumped in and some gangs have much more nefarious initiations for the prospective members to prove their worth.

I live in the area and I know Durham has their own Gang Task Force, but there is at least one gang that they won’t “work”, they immediately turn it over to Feds.

I’m still wondering if this case may be related to a similar case in the area

MOO
IMO
^^BBM

@NCHydrangea -- I very much appreciate your local response. Also, I should have tagged the following post in my initial post since it's why the reversal stood out to me. IMO, I also thought she (TC) went out of her way to distance any knowledge of the families.
Notably, Devin’s mother says she did not know Lyric or her family.

Relative to real or perceived gang activity, it seems it's a burden in every community across the country-- depending on who you ask.

However, I too wondered if this was why the FBI soon became involved.

And from my own experience, I don't think we can or should ignore that good, innocent, kids do indeed pepper their social media accounts with images of themselves throwing gang signs, flashing cash, and/or holding weapons [for the cool factor] where family and friends know these are truly photo props, while mostly unaware that somebody is ALWAYS watching-- including real gang members, as well as district resource officers whose only job is to scroll the social media of area students 24/7!

Unfortunately, part of being a teen is being impulsive, sending the wrong message, sneaking out at 3 AM, and never thinking that you won't make it back home. :(

And it's painful -- nobody should die for being, acting youthful. Today, not less than three families know this all too well.

Posted 6:34 p.m. Sep 18 — Updated 8:06 a.m. Sep 20

MEBANE, N.C.Family members of two teens found shot dead Sunday afternoon say they got into a car with one other person in the hours before their disappearance.

Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18, were friends, their families said. Both were reported missing over the weekend. On Sunday afternoon, two men riding four-wheelers in western Orange County discovered their bodies near the intersection of Buckhorn and Yarbrough roads and called the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

[Map pinning Woods home and location bodies found embedded at news link].

[..]

[Clark's mother seems to believe the murders happened elsewhere and the bodies moved to the location where they were recovered].

Clark's mother said she believes a third person was involved in the teens' disappearance is responsible for their deaths.

“Who is strong enough to carry two bodies and dump them?” said Tiffany Concepcion. “We want answers.”

[..]

A person who lives near where the bodies were found reported hearing at least 20 gunshots go off on Friday night.

[..]

Concepcion said a Mebane Police Department report was filed Saturday for her son, who lives with his father.

Clark turned 18 on May 5, she said, and he was a football player at Eastern Alamance High School in Mebane.

[..]

Lyric Woods reported missing Saturday morning​

A missing person's report says that Woods' stepfather, Shane Cannada, noticed she got in the shower at around 11 p.m. on Friday night. He went to wake her up on Saturday morning and noticed she was missing.

[..]

Woods' father, Brady Woods, was contacted by the sheriff's office and helped in the search.

The report said family member and friends rushed to Cannada's house to figure out where Lyric Woods was.

Authorities checked hunting stands and backwood trails and used a K-9 dog to search for her.

The dog, using Lyric Woods' pillow case, was able to determine that she likely left the home and traveled through the woods where four wheelers often drove by, the report said.

A neighbor said they saw Lyric Woods riding in a vehicle in that same area at 3 a.m. on Saturday. According to indications from the K-9 dog, deputies believe she got a ride from someone in that vehicle.

Authorities took Lyric Woods' phone, iPad and laptop into evidence.

[..]

Devin Clark's mother critiques law enforcement's handling of the investigation​

She wishes that the sheriff's office was more aggressive in their investigation in the early hours and sent out an Amber Alert when the pair first disappeared. However, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said that Amber Alerts don't go out for people who are 18 years old.

[I previously opined that TC was not likely the custodial parent and this is now confirmed. I further believe DC was reported missing by his father on Sunday. To be clear, there was also no amber alert for Lyric Woods most likely because the criteria for an alert were not met. MOO].

On many missing cases, it always comes up why an Amber Alert was not issued. There are specific criteria to be met. Generally speaking - 1) the minor has to be in imminent danger 2) description of abductor/vehicle and/or 3) releasing that info to the public could aid in locating the car or the minor.

As much as this pains me to write this, IMO they were probably already deceased by the time they were reported missing. Here's a timeline:

9/16, 11 p.m. - Lyric last seen at stepfather's home
9/16, 11 p.m. - Devin last seen at his home in Mebane
"Friday night" - person reports hearing gunshots (inclined to think it's probably after midnight on Saturday)
9/17, 3 a.m. - Neighbors see Lyric in a vehicle on a nearby road
9/17, 3:44 p.m. - Lyric's info entered into NCIC
9/18, 1:42 p.m. - Devin's info entered into NCIC
9/18, 3 p.m. - Devin and Lyric found deceased

Sources: ABC11, WRAL, WFMY

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s another question. Sheriff Blackwood thanked the FBI in the press release about issuing the juvenile petition. I’m not well-versed in all the details of FBI involvement. I can see the local authorities seeking FBI assistance, but does the FBI only get involved if a crime violates a federal statute? Homicide is not a federal crime, but I know they’ll get involved if there was a kidnapping, etc that crosses state lines. Hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighte
Here’s another question. Sheriff Blackwood thanked the FBI in the press release about issuing the juvenile petition. I’m not well-versed in all the details of FBI involvement. I can see the local authorities seeking FBI assistance, but does the FBI only get involved if a crime violates a federal statute? Homicide is not a federal crime, but I know they’ll get involved if there was a kidnapping, etc that crosses state lines. Hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighten me!
I’ve noticed that the federal investigators seemed to be invited in for kidnappings. It was reported that Lyric was missing for about 24hrs before Devin was reported missing. Early reports had that Lyric was seen in a car with an adult male. I think they may have thought it was a kidnapping at first and that’s how the feds got involved.

Their bodies were found in the same place. Were they murdered in separate places? If not, I don’t see any reason for separating the jurisdictions.
Maybe there's evidence that they weren't killed in the same place, and it may be due to them living in different counties.

Reactions: d4j
Stemper later said the bodies were found near the 2300 block of Buckhorn Road, which is just north of the intersection with Mt. Willing Road.

Reactions: d4j

Updated: Sep 20, 2022 / 08:30 AM EDT

Over a hundred people gathered on the field of Eastern Alamance High School to mourn the loss of their classmate 18-year-old Devin Clark, who was shot and killed in Orange County.

The vigil was held on the field where Clark’s grandfather Dexter Maurice Sr. said he spent most of his time after school.

“He would always talk about making it to the pros, I would always get him laughs and say “son, you know what you got to give up and you know what you’re going have to give, got to get them grades up and make it through school,” said Maurice Sr.

Students, Clark’s teammates and faculty surrounded his family as they cried, prayed and spoke about the person they will miss.

“It’s great to know that he had that big of an impact on school kids and that really goes to show he was the person he always presented at home, he had so much love,” said Maurice Sr.

[..]

“I felt like I lost a family member, and I cried, and I just remember when I got the news I let go of the phone and I curled up like a baby, I cried.,” said LJ Flintall, Clark’s coach and mentor.

Flintall said in the years that Clark was in the Burlington Bulls mentorship program he aspired to show leadership and growth on the football field and in his personal life.

On many missing cases, it always comes up why an Amber Alert was not issued. There are specific criteria to be met. Generally speaking - 1) the minor has to be in imminent danger 2) description of abductor/vehicle and/or 3) releasing that info to the public could aid in locating the car or the minor.

As much as this pains me to write this, IMO they were probably already deceased by the time they were reported missing. Here's a timeline:

9/16, 11 p.m. - Lyric last seen at stepfather's home
9/16, 11 p.m. - Devin last seen at his home in Mebane
"Friday night" - person reports hearing gunshots (inclined to think it's probably after midnight on Saturday)
9/17, 3 a.m. - Neighbors see Lyric in a vehicle on a nearby road
9/17, 3:44 p.m. - Lyric's info entered into NCIC
9/18, 1:42 p.m. - Devin's info entered into NCIC
9/18, 3 p.m. - Devin and Lyric found deceased

Sources: ABC11, WRAL, WFMY
Thanks for the timeline.
The reported gunshots, if related to the death of Lyric and/or Devin, would have to be after 3am, since neighbors reported seeing Lyric in a vehicle on a nearby road. I'm curious that neighbors would be up at 3am and with it being dark outside...how did they identify her...did the car stop or did they just catch a glimpse of her? I know it's a mute point in the outcome...just kind of odd imo.

I don't believe we have an exact time Lyric and Devin left their respective homes, only sometime after 11pm. Was it closer to 3am...just before Lyric was picked-up...and then it would seem the shooting took place shortly there after?

He was 18, and just started 11th grade? Something's fishy there.

Regardless, I hope authorities can get to the bottom of this.
^^bbm

Clark turned 18 on May 5, she said, and he was a football player at Eastern Alamance High School in Mebane.

I've only seen Devin reported as a high school senior and don't find his age unusual given his birthday was in May.

Clark was a senior at Eastern Alamance High School. His favorite number was four, and that's why his nickname was Deuce Two Times.

I’m not doubting a witness statement, but trying to understand how someone could see someone in a vehicle in the middle of the night? Was the vehicle at a convenience store or something? I live out in the country, much like the layout of this area where Lyric lives and was found, and if I saw a car pass by my house at 3am (say, I was letting my dog out - no other reason for me to be outside at that hour) I wouldn’t be able to see who was in the vehicle unless wherever I was was well lit and I was right up on it.

I’ve seen conflicting reports that Devin was a senior and that he was a junior. Either way, I don’t see much issue with his age and grade. Some kids start kindergarten at 6. Some are held back a grade for various reasons. And factor in the covid years when some kids didn’t thrive with virtual school, it just doesn’t seem unusual to me.

Thanks for the timeline.
The reported gunshots, if related to the death of Lyric and/or Devin, would have to be after 3am, since neighbors reported seeing Lyric in a vehicle on a nearby road. I'm curious that neighbors would be up at 3am and with it being dark outside...how did they identify her...did the car stop or did they just catch a glimpse of her? I know it's a mute point in the outcome...just kind of odd imo.

This is a good point, especially given how rural the area is. It’s not densely populated, there are long driveways, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44